National anthem?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

? 20 Million people isn't it, by your 29% estimate ?
Google says 29% oppose the monarchy yes , I suspect it is mainly younger people that oppose and I don’t think children will have voted and there is a fair few immigrants that won’t give a toss so I feel 20 million is a bit of pigonomics lol

A lot will depend on who took part in the poll , a poll in Windsor will get a very different result to one in Barnsley

Google says 29% oppose the monarchy yes , I suspect it is mainly younger people that oppose and I don’t think children will have voted and there is a fair few immigrants that won’t give a toss so I feel 20 million is a bit of pigonomics lol

A lot will depend on who took part in the poll , a poll in Windsor will get a very different result to one in Barnsley
Are you sure about that. Most children I know love dressing up in daft hats & pointing at horses & blindly obeying someone who claims to have authority over them through an accident of birth. 🔥

The teams represent their country and it subsequently makes sense to play the countries national anthem.
I suppose they could just turn up, shake hands and get on with it, but it is an occasion and is subsequently celebrated as such in very much the same way as the national anthem is played at every major sporting and large event.

I think everyone watching, in the stadium or on TV knows who's playing at what they represent, without playing the theme tunes.

I would never sing our National Anthem for a couple of reasons. The first line contains a reference to 2 anachronisms I don't believe in. But also it's the dreariest fuckin' dirge ever written! Listen to the Italian or French Anthem. I'd be boppin' on my toes to either of those tunes. Come on Brits, let's get a better tune. Even one of those African tunes where it sounds like they're banging a load of pots and pans together would be better......
French anthem is loads better, you can sing about killing Forrins, and the tune is better.
Win-win

I think everyone watching, in the stadium or on TV knows who's playing at what they represent, without playing the theme tunes.
They know, but the game is against two nations, so the national anthems are played / sung. Makes sense.
Not liking the anthem is another matter.

Here's a thought, you can be happy to sing God Save the Queen (not the Sex Pistols version) maybe without thinking much about it as it's been the norm for pretty much everyone's lifetime but...singing God Save the King is going to take a bit more effort.

Are we sure the JEC has earned it?

Here's a thought, you can be happy to sing God Save the Queen (not the Sex Pistols version) maybe without thinking much about it as it's been the norm for pretty much everyone's lifetime but...singing God Save the King is going to take a bit more effort.

Are we sure the JEC has earned it?
That's why it's not a National Anthem. It's a Hymn to a person. Not a Hymn to a Country.

They know, but the game is against two nations, so the national anthems are played / sung. Makes sense.
Not liking the anthem is another matter.
Why? If England are playing, everyone in the stadium isn't sat there unaware of who the opposition are until the opening bars of Fratelli d'Italia, and then proclaim,"ahh, it's Italy"

It's about the only thing I agree with UEFA on, no anthems in the CL.

I was once at an England Test Match abroad, and the guy next to me was ranting about the lack of respect as the National Anthem hadn't been played before the start of play. I let him go on a bit, then explained.

Mate, you've come to a Test Match abroad, there is no Public Address system through which you could actually play an Anthem 🤓

It's been covered in another thread. Wind the bobbin up is hands down the most appropriate replacement anthem. Xenophobic, immigrant haters will probably disagree, but they do not make up the majority of the questionable 71%.

Why? If England are playing, everyone in the stadium isn't sat there unaware of who the opposition are until the opening bars of Fratelli d'Italia, and then proclaim,"ahh, it's Italy"

It's about the only thing I agree with UEFA on, no anthems in the CL.
They don't need a badge then either, just coloured shirts.
If you don't like the nationalism of it, then you shouldn't be involved in supporting one country against another.

CL isn't national teams, it's clubs, so that makes logical sense.

Silly hats ect...

Attachments

• 305845375_786071322657596_4106625114425399629_n.jpg
    305845375_786071322657596_4106625114425399629_n.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 12
Bzzzt....

Attachments

• 306466951_192816926450277_7836050368690662563_n.jpg
    306466951_192816926450277_7836050368690662563_n.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 15

I'm very close to Windsor. I popped into town for the first time since the news broke. The people paying tribute, including a group of 20 youngish men in bowler hats, felt very different to the country I normally see tbh. Much older too. Although I did hear one kid who must have been around 9 ask "what's that" when seeing the castle 🤷‍♂️

If you don't like the nationalism of it, then you shouldn't be involved in supporting one country against another.

It's not one size fits all though is it. Next week will be my 149th England Away Game. I speak with that authority. I've already said in this thread that the National Anthems are a ludicrous sideshow pantomime at International Football games.

Apparently, I shouldn't be involved...

I'm very close to Windsor. I popped into town for the first time since the news broke. The people paying tribute, including a group of 20 youngish men in bowler hats, felt very different to the country I normally see tbh. Much older too. Although I did hear one kid who must have been around 9 ask "what's that" when seeing the castle 🤷‍♂️

FFS don't mention hats, some on here will have a hernia or something.

It's not one size fits all though is it. Next week will be my 149th England Away Game. I speak with that authority. I've already said in this thread that the National Anthems are a ludicrous sideshow pantomime at International Football games.

Apparently, I shouldn't be involved...

International with free panto? Sounds a good deal to me.

I'd quite like plain shirts, bereft of any adornments.

Back
Top Bottom