Retained list 2023/24

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Going into the summer knowing that 16 players were heading out of contract, I was worried as it was a big rebuild required, but I wouldn't have been upset if all 16 left as none have impressed me over the last two seasons other than Baldock, who I expected to leave for his international career, and I don't blame him.

Now I'm worried as so few names have been confirmed so far. I'm worried as we held on to declining and unreliable players last summer and now we appear to be ready to make the same mistakes again purely out of desperation, or because we literally have no money for replacements.

The talk of utilising the loan market worries me as this means no long term replacements and certainly not unearthing the next player who can be bought cheap and later sold for a considerable profit to fund future signings. Right now the only assets that we can likely move on for decent fees are Arblaster and Hamer, and these are the two we should be building a team around. We might well sell Anel and get back what we paid, and if someone is dumb enough to buy Souza then we'll certainly make yet another expensive loss.

I can only hope that more names are confirmed after Sunday or this team is **cked. I don't quite get why they've only named five so far, unless it's to give them a heroes send off on Sunday, which begs the question why mention Max Lowe?

If these are the only five being released then I'm mightily annoyed as Wilder is just another Hecky. Stubborn, unimaginative and wants to be surrounded by his favourites even if they're past their best.

Will this club ever learn and move forward?
Full retained lists never come out until the season is over, the likes of Grbic and Traore won't be on it because they are still under contract beyond this summer, retained lists are for players who are out of contract in the summer.

I’m also intrigued by the choice of keeper for next season.

Keepers on a free this post season appear very sparse in terms of quantity and quality:

Matt Ryan (Alkmaar, unlikely IMHO)
Marek Rodak (Fulham)
Kasper Schmeichel (Anderlecht, unlikely IMHO)
Loris Karius (Newcastle. Wages?)
Christian Walton (Ipswich)
Alex McCarthy (Southampton)
Karl Hein (Arsenal, never heard of him)
Brandon Austin (Spurs)
Artur Okenkwo (Arsenal, Wrexham)

Given experience, ability or wages, I think I’d be inclined to take the Rotherham lad for 900k, which seems a snip for someone who knows the division.

Unless we go with a loan keeper. A few you’d imagine would be up for loan again next season:

Rushworth (Brighton/Swansea)
Iverson (Leicester/Stoke)
Cumming (Chelsea/Oxford)
Cox (Brentford/Bristol R)
Marschall (Villa/MK Dons)
Sinisalo (Villa/Exeter)

I’m still liking Victor at 900k ☹️
Rodak might be a sensible shout on a permanent, Iverson on loan is a decent shout as well.

My guess with the other 9.. (Which will be released Tuesday)

Offered new deals - (With deadlines)
Bogle
Egan
RND
Osborn
Jebbison
McBurnie

Releasing -
Davies
Amissah
Coulibaly

Then listing -
Anel
Souza
Slimane
Traore
Keep seeing that Traore is FC Nantes bound, think A Davies, Coulibaly, Amissah and Mcburnie will all go.

Bogle, RND and Osborn are all signing 1-year extensions and staying by the sound of it.

Reckon if Jebbison signs a new contract it will be announced at the same time the released list is published.

Just make Wes an offer he can't refuse.
I've no doubt we've offered Wes a deal. The issue will probably have been he's wanted reassurances that he will be the number 1 next season and we've told him we're actively looking for a new first choice keeper and he'd start as back up.

Can't blame him for wanting to go somewhere he'll be first choice. He's 33 now and although it's not ancient for a keeper he can't waste many more seasons being a number 2. The only way I think he'd consider that is he was to go somewhere like Man City to be 3rd choice like Carson and bump up their English players quota for champions league requirements while picking up a hefty wage.

Going into the summer knowing that 16 players were heading out of contract, I was worried as it was a big rebuild required, but I wouldn't have been upset if all 16 left as none have impressed me over the last two seasons other than Baldock, who I expected to leave for his international career, and I don't blame him.

Now I'm worried as so few names have been confirmed so far. I'm worried as we held on to declining and unreliable players last summer and now we appear to be ready to make the same mistakes again purely out of desperation, or because we literally have no money for replacements.

The talk of utilising the loan market worries me as this means no long term replacements and certainly not unearthing the next player who can be bought cheap and later sold for a considerable profit to fund future signings. Right now the only assets that we can likely move on for decent fees are Arblaster and Hamer, and these are the two we should be building a team around. We might well sell Anel and get back what we paid, and if someone is dumb enough to buy Souza then we'll certainly make yet another expensive loss.

I can only hope that more names are confirmed after Sunday or this team is **cked. I don't quite get why they've only named five so far, unless it's to give them a heroes send off on Sunday, which begs the question why mention Max Lowe?

If these are the only five being released then I'm mightily annoyed as Wilder is just another Hecky. Stubborn, unimaginative and wants to be surrounded by his favourites even if they're past their best.

Will this club ever learn and move forward?
Heckingbottom had to keep the players because he didn’t have a budget. If he would have got rid then he’d be a body light. The dillema sending the german player name passes me by at the minute last jan was with the hope he could bring another body in but he wasn’t told until he’d sent him back that he couldn’t because we were under embargo.

How old is Lowe?

Middlesbrough seem the obvious one.

In truth, I’m surprised that the Blades have let Lowe go, as he has proven himself to be a good player by Championship standards over the years, and at 267, he is a player entering his peak years.

How old is Lowe?

Middlesbrough seem the obvious one.

In truth, I’m surprised that the Blades have let Lowe go, as he has proven himself to be a good player by Championship standards over the years, and at 267, he is a player entering his peak years.
How many games has he played in 4 seasons?

How many games have you walked outta a stadium and thought 'Lowe played really well today, he was outstanding'?

He's an average championship left back.

Heckingbottom had to keep the players because he didn’t have a budget. If he would have got rid then he’d be a body light. The dillema sending the german player name passes me by at the minute last jan was with the hope he could bring another body in but he wasn’t told until he’d sent him back that he couldn’t because we were under embargo.
Reda Khadra.

Wilder categorically stated that he was joining as our no.1
And then had to backtrack, when he realised how shit he is, to put Wes back in.

Only thing l can see happening is, having spent money on him, we're stuck with him for another year or, we lose money and shift him on. Can't see us keeping him as a number 2, might as well keep Davis for that.

And then had to backtrack, when he realised how shit he is, to put Wes back in.

Only thing l can see happening is, having spent money on him, we're stuck with him for another year or, we lose money and shift him on. Can't see us keeping him as a number 2, might as well keep Davis for that.
Not just one year , apparently he has a 4 year contract

Not just one year , apparently he has a 4 year contract
Runs out in 2027 so just the three years left! There's probably an option of another year but that would be in our favour I'd guess/hope!

To be fair I think he regrets this quote now. If he was our number 1 going forward he'd be playing instead of leaving Wes.
It reveals something about our management structure that our manager realises how shit a player is , only AFTER he's been signed.
I would love to know whether Wilder was acting on instructions from above or whether Gbric really was his choice.
Either way , for a club in financial plight , we look pretty stupid.
I keep hoping the massive recruitment & retention exercise will go well this summer , but recent evidence says the opposite.

It reveals something about our management structure that our manager realises how shit a player is , only AFTER he's been signed.
I would love to know whether Wilder was acting on instructions from above or whether Gbric really was his choice.
I keep hoping the massive recruitment & retention exercise will go well this summer , but recent evidence says the opposite.
I think it was either Ferguson or Wenger who some years ago said that if 50% of your signings were good then you are doing well.
Why do some on here think that everyone we sign has to be outstanding ?

It feels very similar to the Olsen signing so could have come from a similar process. Tall keeper, 2nd choice at big club, some level of international recognition, shit. Basically signing a keeper who sounds good rather than one who's actually proved he's good at goalkeeping

I think it was either Ferguson or Wenger who some years ago said that if 50% of your signings were good then you are doing well.
Tbh I dont think they do - but all, bar Hamer and BBD , of our signings this season seem to have been made by people who have either never even heard of football or if they have , just selected players by pinning the tail on the donkey.

The new goalie and Souza are atrocious signings , and there seems to be no joined up thinking .

It feels very similar to the Olsen signing so could have come from a similar process. Tall keeper, 2nd choice at big club, some level of international recognition, shit. Basically signing a keeper who sounds good rather than one who's actually proved he's good at goalkeeping
You can't scout a player who is not playing in competitive matches , so I'm convinced that no one actually saw him play before we signed him - it only took me a few minutes watching him in the flesh to know how poorly he is suited to being a goalie - it's like we bought him off the internet.

Because we're closer to 20% of signings being good over the last five seasons, if that, let alone 50%.

Our recruitment has been woeful and very costly as all but Ndiaye and Ramsdale have left for significant losses.

Freeman - £6mil (released for a loss)
Berge - £22mil (sold at a loss)
Robinson - £8mil (swapped for Burke who was released for a loss)
Mousset - £10mil (released for a loss)

That's just for starters.

Look at this season.

Larouci - poor signing
Thomas - poor signing
McAtee - poor overall but for a one month hot streak
Grbic - poor signing
Souza - poor signing
Slimane - poor signing
Traore - poor signing
Holgate - 50/50
Brereton-Diaz - good signing

That's 9 players brought in this season and only Brereton-Diaz has been consistently good. The rest have been poor on the whole.

The club has harped on about signing young and upcoming players who we can sell on for profit, and yet it fails to do this. Our recruitment is awful and the fact that we're letting Wilder in charge again backed up by his mate fills me with dread.

Back
Top Bottom