Vokes has gone back to Wolves!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The guy has played a key role in our only two wins in months.
The club should have done everything it could to keep him.
It's just the latest, short-sighted bit of buffoonery in a season chocful of cock-up after cock-up.

If it was our call then I think Vokes returning to Wolves is a mistake . One of the biggest problems we have had this year is too much change. Vokes and Ched looked handy together. Might they both be the strikeforce against England at the weekend? Its very bad PR to suggest one thing (Vokes staying) and do another.

Typical of the board cutting which they are good at,Hendo had better stay suspension and injury free as the loan window will be closed.
The board will then be back to the lowest scoring attack in the division instead of adding needed firepower for the last 8 games they want to unload.

The usual knee-jerk response from our hyper-critical fans.
Damned if you do
Damned if you don't....

I'm amazed how some people can put a positive spin on anything the club do.
Our manager is on record that he wants to keep Vokes and Wolves have agreed to extend the loan.
Some faceless "source" behind the scenes decides to overrule the manager and tells him to struggle on instead with what he's already got.
Extending the loan would cost us a few thousand. Relegation could and probably will cost us millions.
Vokes has had an impact and has been the first choice striker for the last three matches, two of which we've won.
Henderson is nowhere near match-fit and won't be before the end of the season.
He'd be better used coming on as an impact sub, not as the main striker our chance of survival depends upon.
At any rate, that should always be the manager's decision not an accountant adding the striker's total wages up on his spreadsheet.
What's the point of employing a manager to pick the team and then trying to do the job for him?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...exit_as_blades_have_change_of_heart_1_3208344

Our manager is on record that he wants to keep Vokes and Wolves have agreed to extend the loan.
Some faceless "source" behind the scenes decides to overrule the manager and tells him to struggle on instead with what he's already got.
Extending the loan would cost us a few thousand. Relegation could and probably will cost us millions.
Vokes has had an impact and has been the first choice striker for the last three matches, two of which we've won.
He'd be better used coming on as an impact sub, not as the main striker our chance of survival depends upon.
At any rate, that should always be the manager's decision not an accountant adding the striker's total wages up on his spreadsheet.
What's the point of employing a manager to pick the team and then trying to do the job for him?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...exit_as_blades_have_change_of_heart_1_3208344

very annoying article.... why didnt we send bent back instead whose done sod all?

E89's post clears a couple of things up:

"The vokes signing was only ever short term until the saviour returned (Henderson) and now look what's happened there, whether he returns Quite simply is in the balance, MA & DB wanted this to happen , but it's simply about pounds shillings and pence and a board decision to throw a few more Quid at once last throw of the dice, the player did want to stop for the record, what ever statement is forthcoming"

I can't believe we are penny pinching at such a crucial period in our season.

The idea surely has to be to give the squad every opportunity to keep our status.

Fine Hendo and Willo a months wages for their sending off's and that should keep Vokes in clover until the end of the season.

:mad:

its like charles green is back at the club.happy days :rolleyes:

It's like McCabe and co have got no sense of embarrassment or shame about their utterly, utterly shambolic management of our club.
Gobsmacking for a businessman of his standing to getting so many basic, elemental decisions completely wrong.

"It has been great to get some games there because that is what I wanted to do when I joined and I'd love to stay there for the rest of the season and help them avoid relegation," Vokes told skysports.com. "I haven't spoken to anyone at Wolves about it yet because I'm away with Wales, but it is something I would like to sort out when I get back.

According to that article United haven't even had the decency to tell Vokes we don't want him. Maybe the "source" who's been keeping The Star informed should give him a courtesy call?

But it isnt penny pinching. To sign him on loan till the end of the season means it will be with a view to a perminent deal in the summer.
How much do you think that will cost?

I want us to sign him but its hardly a simple decsion given where we might be and the exsisting high earners who have more than a year to run on their contracts. I know the knockers like to make out that every decsion is simple, youjust need to tick the right box, but it is rarely the case.
I would guess signing him up would be a commitment of about 4 million over 3 years including fees. Not quite so simple when in those terms.

All those high earners, eh? And all on such lovely long contracts.

Wonder how that happened.

It's a shambles, Bob. No joined up thinking whatsoever.

I would guess signing him up would be a commitment of about 4 million over 3 years including fees. Not quite so simple when in those terms.

Blimey. If those figures are correct then it is quite simple... We can't afford him.

But aren't we assuming that Wolves are insisting on the signing at the end of the season? I've not read that anywhere.

But it isnt penny pinching. To sign him on loan till the end of the season means it will be with a view to a perminent deal in the summer. How much do you think that will cost? I would guess signing him up would be a commitment of about 4 million over 3 years including fees.

Where are you getting this information from? Who says we have to sign him permanently? Why can't we just sign him until the end of the season like other loanees?

If what you say is true, why don't the club just give that as the reason for not signing him? Instead of a "source" telling The Star that Adams has enough strikers to choose from already? If I didn't know better, I'd suspect the club are trying to undermine Adams in the hope he resigns and saves them paying up his contract.

JD, I dont think its just Wolves but the loan rules for season long emergency loans after the window.

All those high earners, eh? And all on such lovely long contracts.

Wonder how that happened.

It's a shambles, Bob. No joined up thinking whatsoever.

Yes lets keep throwing silly money about afterall weve got loads to throw about.

Im pretty sure this is the reason we are already stuck with a couple of the loanees. Maybe relegation gets us out of having to sign the likes of Bent. I hope so.

Where are you getting this information from? Who says we have to sign him permanently? Why can't we just sign him until the end of the season like other loanees?

If what you say is true, why don't the club just give that as the reason for not signing him? Instead of a "source" telling The Star that Adams has enough strikers to choose from already? If I didn't know better, I'd suspect the club are trying to undermine Adams in the hope he resigns and saves them paying up his contract.

Don't think there is any commitment to permanently buy the player if its done before the window closes (24 March).
Seems a really shortsighted decision by the club (no great surprise there), send that useless F***er Bent back and use that money to pay Vokes to the end of the season !

Yes lets keep throwing silly money about afterall weve got loads to throw about.

No. All I'm saying is that they've been throwing silly money around on loans for ages. Those loans which you also say we are now "stuck with". We also spent silly money on Collins and Doyle. (ie. anything over 2/6 and a sherbet dip).

The manager says one thing, the club does another. If we can't afford it, then we can't afford it but for fucks sake start to manage the bleeding club with some sense of purpose, direction and most of all co-ordination.

Don't think there is any commitment to permanently buy the player if its done before the window closes (24 March).
Seems a really shortsighted decision by the club (no great surprise there), send that useless F***er Bent back and use that money to pay Vokes to the end of the season !

Apologies its how you get round the max number, not because of outside the window. Loans that are going to be made perm dont count against your quota.

Why would Bents parent club agree to him coming back and to picking up his wages?

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

No. All I'm saying is that they've been throwing silly money around on loans for ages. Those loans which you also say we are now "stuck with". We also spent silly money on Collins and Doyle. (ie. anything over 2/6 and a sherbet dip).

The manager says one thing, the club does another. If we can't afford it, then we can't afford it but for fucks sake start to manage the bleeding club with some sense of purpose, direction and most of all co-ordination.
We arent stuck with all of them just ones over our quota which we are now at.

But haven't we said that some of the other loans are 'with a view to a permanent deal' - Mattock & Lowry (although the official site is not showing him as a loan anyhow so maybe I have that wrong !) - so they wouldn't count if that's the 'rule'. But fair point if we are tipping the balance on some overall max number, we clearly can't make any commitments to permanently purchase expensive players at this point..

With Bent he's not getting any games anyhow so even if we ended up paying his wages for another 7 weeks I would say its worth doing if that enabled us to get Vokes back for a few weeks (and would love to eat my words if he stays and ends up scoring the goal that keeps us up....just don't think its very likely!)

At a minimum the club should be communicating more consistently and be on-the-level with Vokes, Adams said on monday it was all sorted out bar the paperwork so clearly wanted him back, and the player seems to be saying in interviews today that he wants to come back.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20100801/section-6-players_2293633_2125731#51

The rules on emergency loans are on here (section 51.2). There's no mention of having to commit to a permanent transfer. So that's a total red herring.

So what if we already have five other loan players? Vokes has been first choice and helped us win matches. Bent has hardly featured and done nothing. Just leave him out of the squad if we can't send him back. Most importantly, let the manager decide!

Trevor Birch said on the 8th February:-
Birch, who also rubbished claims the 49-year-old is fighting to save his job after just seven games in charge, told The Star Adams has received the green light to identify potential loan targets. “If we can find someone who fits the bill then we will do everything in our power to try and bring them here,” said Birch. “Obviously it’s not a simple task because people with certain attributes in certain positions are at a premium. Then, when you’ve come up with a name it’s a case of persuading them to come here. “It’s never straight-forward. But rest assured we are working very hard to try and come up with something.”

They did the hard part, found a striker with the right attributes, persuaded him to come. Now he's been a success and Adams wants to keep him, they're pulling the plug!

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20100801/section-6-players_2293633_2125731#51

The rules on emergency loans are on here (section 51.2). There's no mention of having to commit to a permanent transfer. So that's a total red herring.

So what if we already have five other loan players? Vokes has been first choice and helped us win matches. Bent has hardly featured and done nothing. Just leave him out of the squad if we can't send him back. Most importantly, let the manager decide!

Trevor Birch said on the 8th February:-
Birch, who also rubbished claims the 49-year-old is fighting to save his job after just seven games in charge, told The Star Adams has received the green light to identify potential loan targets. “If we can find someone who fits the bill then we will do everything in our power to try and bring them here,” said Birch. “Obviously it’s not a simple task because people with certain attributes in certain positions are at a premium. Then, when you’ve come up with a name it’s a case of persuading them to come here. “It’s never straight-forward. But rest assured we are working very hard to try and come up with something.”

They did the hard part, found a striker with the right attributes, persuaded him to come. Now he's been a success and Adams wants to keep him, they're pulling the plug!

Read the rules you've linked to. As I mentioned above its the quotas you are only allowed so many although those with view to a perm deal dont count.

So its 4 under 23 and 4 over 23 for the whole season ? Or at any one time ? And do 1 month emergency sigings not count (because if they do then we have already used 1 of our 4 on Vokes whether he comes back or not).
And are Mattock/Lowry 'with a view to permanent deal' or not ?

I must admit having looked at these rules I can see why clubs fall foul of them !

Couldn't run the proverbial piss-up.
Welcome to the final chapters before McCabe's legacy really kicks in.

Back
Top Bottom