Video on sky sports football app - our owner talking about Wilder's departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Brilliant post Hamburg and I was gonna post about the 'no DOF but we have to approve every signing' scenario which amounts to the same outcome.
I also agree that PA is very clever and experienced in corporate 'manoevering' to become successful.
He also stated that he didn't like CWs comments after defeats that basically blamed the quality and standards of the squad because it damaged the profile of the club when doing sponsorship deals.
Also the £4M was not paid it was just a negotiating starting point and if the parting if ways was 'mutual consent' the comp would be to end the contract for both sides.
PA is wholly and unequivocally going to protect both his and the clubs reputation and all of what he says may be true. Or it may not be true. He can state whatever he chooses unopposed, while ever the so called NDA is in situ.
Chris will give his version I'm sure when its appropriate, which may be time barred or when he is in another managerial post.
That day will come but for me it will be a very sad and bizarre time.
The NDA doesn’t stop CW responding to anything he said in that interview. I’m sure the Prince revealing details about his contract is the element Chris has asked the LMA to look at.
But he absolutely can respond if anything isn’t true and his professional character is being slandered.

Seen the interview and it is OK as far as it goes.

My problem is why do it at all. Keep your mouth shut, appoint a manager under the conditions you are happy with and make that a good appointment. Any fan noise goes away. This just seems to be a shot across Wilder, and there will be a response from journos not given access to PA, NDA or not
The negativity was hurting our club and this draws a line under it.
We have commercial interests that don’t need this kind of press and we’re trying to attract a new manager with a divided fan base.
This allows more of that fan base to move on and accept to new man.

Listen to the interview in full and read between the lines. He says “I don’t want to criticise Chris” a lot and then goes onto criticise.

He also says that in the meetings he told Wilder what he thought of his January 2020 JTW and then his subsequent recruitment for this season as well as why he withdrew funds for January. To me that’s probably going to result in Wilder being pissed off and de-motivated.

As I’ve said, he’s not faultless and some of it needs flagging to Wilder, but if he’s saying “I don’t want to sack you but” all the time, it’s an attempt at grinding the bloke down to me and perhaps a reason why Wilder has been so down in his interviews.

Most people have pinned their colours to one side or the other, I’m trying to not take what Abdullah says at face value, as there are serious contradictions throughout the 30 minute interview.

Thing is, given Wilder's track record in recruitment and the failures therein, I don't blame HRH for wanting some say in how it goes.

It's like spooning a tenner to your kid who pisses off to the shops and buys ten packs of Panini Cards only to find that there's only one card he hasn't got, and he comes back and says can I have another fiver.

Yeah, likely son.

pommpey

The negativity was hurting our club and this draws a line under it.
We have commercial interests that don’t need this kind of press and we’re trying to attract a new manager with a divided fan base.
This allows more of that fan base to move on and accept to new man.
If this draws a line under it, happy days. That needs to happen as soon as possible.

A one way NDA seems extremely weird.
The prince skirted over a lot in the interview when it came down to the brass tacks of Chris leaving all he really said was what he was paid and that he’d handed in his resignation a couple times. What transpired over those two days of talks was left practically unmentioned so I reckon the NDA is firmly in place. I’d imagine Chris would be free to come out and call Abdullah a knob and say he’s gutted we didnt get lingard or swift but not what happened to cause the rift that weekend.

A one way NDA seems extremely weird.
That example I gave earlier mentions both parties. Any contract cannot be legally weighted in one direction. Even the Premier League deal with the TV companies had to have some recourse in - even if it was thought it would never be used. They current deal has one in about repaying the full season fees if a season is curtailed for any reason. Who would have thought that would happen!!

I'll reserve judgement, we have only one perspective of the situation here - so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Who are these Premier League players that we signed on equal or better wages? Have we signed any Premier League players that their club wanted to actually play for themselves?
My interpreation of the £4 milln. request is that Chris believed that the prince was basically guilty of constructive dismissal and in this case he was entitled to the 18 months salary to be applied in the case of the club dismissing him.

Who are these Premier League players that we signed on equal or better wages? Have we signed any Premier League players that their club wanted to actually play for themselves?
My interpreation of the £4 milln. request is that Chris believed that the prince was basically guilty of constructive dismissal and in this case he was entitled to the 18 months salary to be applied in the case of the club dismissing him.
I know I mentioned earlier about breach of trust and confidence in a contract leading to constructive unfair dismissal but it really is the hardest dismissal type to prove. The onus is on the Claimant to show why it was unfair. In normal unfair dismissal cases (eg for misconduct after a disciplinary) then the onus is on the employer to show it was fair thereby much easier for the employee.

Thing is, given Wilder's track record in recruitment and the failures therein, I don't blame HRH for wanting some say in how it goes.

It's like spooning a tenner to your kid who pisses off to the shops and buys ten packs of Panini Cards only to find that there's only one card he hasn't got, and he comes back and says can I have another fiver.

Yeah, likely son.

pommpey
It’s fine to criticise, but he’s trying to make out that he wanted him and that he hasn’t meddled and criticised. He obviously has and it’s obviously affected the relationship to the point where it’s no longer workable.

Misinformation pisses me off and that’s all we’ve had from all sides so far.

This could have all been avoided at Christmas time. Both parties sit down with judge Rinder to mediate, fans then can decide who side with and which one is cunty.

It’s fine to criticise, but he’s trying to make out that he wanted him and that he hasn’t meddled and criticised. He obviously has and it’s obviously affected the relationship to the point where it’s no longer workable.

Again - it's the club's money, awarded to Wilder to go and buy PL players.

Tell me one player he has bought who is truly Premier League Class, since we were promoted. And don't say Bogle and Ramsdale. Bogle is simply capable, amongst a team of worrying incapables. And Ramsdale's season has been largely pants.

pommpey

Just watched the full interview. Not sure how anybody can knock that interview, he was respectful to Wilder whilst at the same time noting mistakes or areas for improvement.

Thought it came over as a very honest interview, he's either a great actor or he was being open and honest.

Not sure how anybody can see in that interview that he slated Wilder.

The prince went up in my estimation after watching that.

The NDA doesn’t stop CW responding to anything he said in that interview. I’m sure the Prince revealing details about his contract is the element Chris has asked the LMA to look at.
But he absolutely can respond if anything isn’t true and his professional character is being slandered.
And he won’t because the club have all the evidence they need to sue him for libel should he or his mates continue to spread lies and dispute what’s been said by PA.
You won’t hear a peep from CW as he doesn’t have a leg to stand on and the club have had enough - quite rightly in my opinion.

PA comes across very well and everything he says in the interview seems to add up with what’s been going on at the club over the last 12 months.

Chris Wilder has let both himself and the club down very badly. What a shame it ended like it did, after the fantastic promotion seasons. Thanks for the good times Chris, but you really have left the club in the lurch, big time.

Bringing in the right management team is now vital. Get this appointment right, and bring in a few key additions to the playing squad and I think we can smash the Championship next season.

I believe we are in very good hands with the Prince, and think that he can turn this episode to the club’s advantage going forward.

Following on from my earlier post it's become as clear as day that once Wilder realised this season was going to be one almighty struggle and he couldn't handle it, he wanted out and his only option to get a good payoff was to get the sack and was becoming increasingly frustrated that despite the results, PA went public to say that his job was safe.
Wilder then went on to attack everything about the club to force the Prince's hand and spent all his interviews criticising Sheffield United from top to bottom, but then praising the opposition. I was getting sick of hearing his, 'we can't go toe to toe with the opposition' No wonder our players felt like league one standard. The one that sticks in my memory was the Aston Villa interview where he praised the club, the ground, the players, the owners, the fans to an extent where it sounded as though he was applying for the Villa job.
I'm really pleased he's gone and we can now look forward to someone who can come in and get us back up with some enthusiasm, dedication, passion and some loyalty to the chairman and owner. It's at least what PA deserves.

Again - it's the club's money, awarded to Wilder to go and buy PL players.

Tell me one player he has bought who is truly Premier League Class, since we were promoted. And don't say Bogle and Ramsdale. Bogle is simply capable, amongst a team of worrying incapables. And Ramsdale's season has been largely pants.

pommpey
....i guess Jagielka!

Following on from my earlier post it's become as clear as day that once Wilder realised this season was going to be one almighty struggle and he couldn't handle it, he wanted out and his only option to get a good payoff was to get the sack and was becoming increasingly frustrated that despite the results, PA went public to say that his job was safe.
Wilder then went on to attack everything about the club to force the Prince's hand and spent all his interviews criticising Sheffield United from top to bottom, but then praising the opposition. I was getting sick of hearing his, 'we can't go toe to toe with the opposition' No wonder our players felt like league one standard. The one that sticks in my memory was the Aston Villa interview where he praised the club, the ground, the players, the owners, the fans to an extent where it sounded as though he was applying for the Villa job.
I'm really pleased he's gone and we can now look forward to someone who can come in and get us back up with some enthusiasm, dedication, passion and some loyalty to the chairman and owner. It's at least what PA deserves.
Post of the day sir 👏

Chris resigned. The Prince said he resigned, he tried to resign 3 times in total and managed it on the third try but somehow managed to get £4m too. Not sure where you get constructive dismissal from the interview ?

He did criticise he says several times he told Chris he was not happy with 3 key areas. One was Recruitment, forgot the other two. The week of Chris leaving he says he tried to sit down and have a meeting every other day. First meeting they put each others sides over. Again PA mentioned the 3 areas the board was not happy with. Same meeting they also told him they wanted him to stay. When the day of the 2nd meeting came Chris turned up said he wasnt happy with the previous meeting and would not say anymore then his agent sent them a letter explaining his resignation. PA then got his team to respond by the letter asking to speak to Chris but he wasnt happy about this letter in response so all comms broke down and he refused to talk about it anymore I think that was either the Wednesday or Thursday. We know what happened after that.

He quite clearly explains this all in the interview he openly admits the areas he wasnt happy with and his reasons. We've heard one sides apparently honest explanation the only misinformation we have is Chris Wilders side we are yet to hear from.

The thing I dislike about the interview is Chris allegedly resigning then asking for £4m. If that was me at work asking for £40000 and resigning they would tell me to do one.

Also since when cant a Boss criticise his workers because they are not performing a project (shall we call it as an example) well and he expected them to do better ?

PA criticised him over his recruitment choices and to me he was fair and honest its been said many times on here recruitment was not right and PA's explanation is he gave Chris full autonomy over recruitment suggestions but instead of getting 5 or 6 the board could go after it seems they got 1 in some circumstances and it was either that person or nothing. So we ended up with nothing. There needs to be more than one choice in case the No.1 choice falls through due to wage disagreements etc. Again according to PA.

I think PA came across as genuinely honest. Just need to wait for the book to come out for the other side and then we can see if the two sides match or not.

To all those calling for a statue of CW outside the lane - those who are posting bile about PA on social media - all those that say he should have been backed further etc

This appears to be a very one sided departure, imagine any other club in the 4 divisions saying to a manager you can loose every game and wont be sacked!

As a Blade he took us up, stood on the town hall balcony and enjoyed, and deserved, the adulation
However this season he has been poor in the transfer market, lost his 'have a go' attitude, blamed players, the club, the board, training facilities, the fans etc

Now we know when the going got tough he wanted out, and not just out, he wanted £4m from a club that he loves, even though he is leaving it doomed to relegation with embarrassment

He should have fallen on his sword - A true Blade would have not asked for £4m when hes looking at the league table and accepting the team 'needs a new voice'

Would anyone on here honestly have asked for a fat wedge to go, leaving the club in the league position it is?

And before anyone mentions money, CW is already a very rich man on the back of the success he has brought SUFC - he was rewarded in realtime for the promotions, he doesnt get a golden goodbye for taking us down

A Captain goes down with his ship - he doesnt jump overboard and take the family silver with him

Bad drills Chris, tarnished a reputation im afraid
Nail on the old fuckin head there mate

Chris resigned. The Prince said he resigned, he tried to resign 3 times in total and managed it on the third try but somehow managed to get £4m too. Not sure where you get constructive dismissal from the interview ?

Not saying it is constructive dismissal, but that does involve a resignation.

Resignation, possible NDA and payoff. 3 hallmarks of a constructive dismissal.

Prince comes across well.

People saying he shouldn't be coming out and saying what he has, he's defending the club/himself. CW has been slating the club/board for months (possibly attempting to engineer being relieved from his duties for a financial windfall, who knows) yet wilderites are outraged at the Prince coming out and offering his take on events.

Watched the full 29 minute interview, prince's main points echo exactly what my own have been for a while.
Wilder has shown him self to be stubborn beyond belief. Personal opinion is his ego has risen just as fast as the club has climbed through the leagues, has been found to be very limited this past year and will not accept blame. Prince completely within his right to not sanction any transfers for a manager who has every intention of jumping ship when things get tough.

Massive thanks to CW for the best times of my United journey. Will never forget the full day/nights revelling in the glory of the times he helped bring to the club. I don't think it'll be repeated for a long long time.
But all good things come to an end, it's just a shame things ended as they have.

In an alternate universe, covid never happened, Chris didn't let his ego get the better of him and we'd be looking forward to a good booze up at the weekend and supporting the lads.

After this interview I've a lot more faith in next season and will get behind whoever is in charge. I'm a unitedite, not a wilderite.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom