Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The north Pole was off Effingham St ,I think it became a photo laboratory ,and now its a mosque I think

Almost :)

When the the North Pole closed it was purchased by a print provider, True Print Ltd. When that business moved to newer premises, it was empty for a while and then it was turned into an Islamic Centre. The Effing sandwich shop is indeed excellent for a BEST :)

I remember jumping off the back of the old open back buses before they had actually stopped

Around 1969 or 70, I was on a 50 bus going down Brocco Bank after another days tedium at King Teds. It was a bus with an open door (and shiny pole) at the back. Also downstairs and at the back were facing 'bench' seats that held about three people each. Me and a couple of mates were on one of these benches ogling this fit bird who was sat opposite with her boyfriend. Obviously this made said boyfriend think he was Bertie Big-Bollocks and - halfway down Brocco Bank and intending to get off at Hunters Bar - BBB pecked his bird on the cheek and went towards the rear door. Now this bus was doing around 30 mph and BBB thought he'd show off to his bird and jumped off the bus. It was a truly impressive effort - he obviously thought he could start running as he hit the pavement. Except...

...he'd failed to notice a lamp post - one of those solid concrete fuckers - and he went SPLAT! straight into it. It was a scene worthy of Tom & Jerry. He was spark out - blood and teeth everywhere. Funny as fuck, though.:D

Jumping off the back of moving buses was just something you did. I was at De La Salle and buses into town stopped at Waingate and the next stop was outside Atkinsons on High Street. Neither of them was particularly convenient for anyone like me who needed to go to Pond Street so as the bus turned right at Fitzalan Square, often at a rate of knots, there'd be a queue of kids hanging off the back of the bus all jumping off in quick succession with the conductor usually chuckling away indulgently and the driver often actually accelerating if he realised what was happening.

A few years back I was in a transport museum in Glasgow with my teenage son looking at one of these buses and when I told him about being allowed to jump off the back like this he just looked at me open-mouthed.

Different times.

This s an exact of my first car except it doesn't have Still Little Fingers on the windscreen visor.

It was like they were made of Tin Soldiers and that Doesn't make it all right. Still I bet it made a right White Noise and if it ran well it was no Suspect Device.

I suppose you'd Gotta Gettaway in it but be careful when filling up becasue of all the Inflamable Material. Hope you dodn't overpay as it would have been a Rough Trade.

I'll get my coat....

Here's one for the young uns

gun__1216219486_facup1993.jpg

norwich-city-andy-linighan-190-panini-foorball-89-collectable-football-sticker-70488-p.jpg

I remember him warming up to come off the bench at BDTBL in the late 90s. A massive roar went up and an endless chant of:

"Andeee, Andeee, Andee Linighan....."

You could see the confusion on his teamates faces
"Have you ever played for this lot?"

He just laughed and waved to the crowd.

A true Blades legend who never kicked a ball for us.

Give up LE ,never thought I could be beaten on 70s cars.
This s an exact of my first car except it doesn't have Still Little Fingers on the windscreen visor.

My Dad used to have the Vauxhall Firenza, loved the shape of that car.

My Dad used to have the Vauxhall Firenza, loved the shape of that car.
That was a sporty version wasn't it ? I bought mine for £300 from a Stevedore at Sunderland dockyard. My Grandad drove it down to Sheffield and it never let me down once. It had some great experiences ,the biggy being attacked by Hells Angels in Chester and having her windscreen put through with a housebrick ,while doing about 40 mph. I loved that motor and would love to own one again ,proper car.

That was a sporty version wasn't it ? I bought mine for £300 from a Stevedore at Sunderland dockyard. My Grandad drove it down to Sheffield and it never let me down once. It had some great experiences ,the biggy being attacked by Hells Angels in Chester and having her windscreen put through with a housebrick ,while doing about 40 mph. I loved that motor and would love to own one again ,proper car.

Thats the one Sitters, this one is the same colur that Dad's was........

Vauxhall%20Firenza%20(1).jpg

Give up LE ,never thought I could be beaten on 70s cars.
I also had a Viva,also on an 'L' reg...white with a black vinyl roof,and ended up trading it for a Morris Marina in a Pukey green on an 'N' plate...The picture of Jack Archer's has a Marina and a Raleigh Chopper...both of which I owned,but not at the same time,that would be weird...Good memories of the Viva though.

If you are up this way later in the year Barrow Hill round house is well worth a visit especially on a steam weekend. Closed for renovation work at the moment except in May for the Real Ale festival should be open again in the autumn. It could well be one of the last round houses in the country.
http://www.barrowhill.org/

Brilliant to see this post. My dad worked at Barrow Hill engine sheds from the day before his 14th birthday till the day he was made redundant in his late 50s. His hands were always etched with oil and he had a mangled finger from a confrontation with a loco, but that was nowt. His friend Ken lost a leg through being run over by one.

Dad had just left school and was walking to Staveley Works to ask for a job, but passed Barrow Hill on the way so thought he might as well stop and enquire. His first job was standing in a pit greasing the wheels of the engines above his head. There was another lad on an apprenticeship who only got half as much pay, so he and my dad swapped jobs and my dad became an apprentice fitter. Last time he saw the other lad his father was chasing him down the road to give him some fist.

I had one of those loved it the bonnet and two wings was off other cars all different colours which i took off and fitted myself all from the scrap yard.
I was going to hand paint it but i sold to to a mate and he had a nice paint job on it he run it another 3 years.

Here's one for the young uns

gun__1216219486_facup1993.jpg

norwich-city-andy-linighan-190-panini-foorball-89-collectable-football-sticker-70488-p.jpg

I remember him warming up to come off the bench at BDTBL in the late 90s. A massive roar went up and an endless chant of:

"Andeee, Andeee, Andee Linighan....."

You could see the confusion on his teamates faces
"Have you ever played for this lot?"

He just laughed and waved to the crowd.

A true Blades legend who never kicked a ball for us.
I did my best ever knee slide off the settee to inches in front of the TV when he scored. A great moment.

Yorkshire Grey was a good boozer, i was in there with and ex Bird (who was a Pig) watching their opening day match v Burnley, place was unexpectedly packed with Wednesday fans (as they were at home 3 miles down the road), there was myself and about 2 other blades in the place, i realised this when Burnley scored and i jumped up and no other fucker apart from 2 lone Blades did. There was a bit of shouting etc, when Burnley's 2nd went in and i believe it was scored by Gareth Taylor some hairy arsed pig fan took offence to Blades being in the pub and decided to take it outside with any Blade who fancied it followed by 3 of his minions, one Blade accepted the challenge at which point i felt i had to join him as x4 onto one wasnt fair. The big Pig looked event bigger once outside in the sunlight and i resigned myself to a bit of a beating but bravado etc intact. Anyhow fellow Blade turns out to be some fucking, Bruce Lee I'm Hard Mike Tyson type, and he knocked the big pig about nicely with 4 beauties on the end of his nose, at which point the Pig was begging hard bastard Blade to stop and the minions weren't so keen to join in, i got a handshake off the Blade for my help, bearing in mind i did fuck all apart from applaud him and my short lived relationship with the current Pig was over as quickly as it started :)

Lessons were learnt that day though, never date a Pig fan and big lads aren't always as hard as they look.

Back
Top Bottom