Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To be fair, if it's the Wednesday v Oxford game in 1975 you can understand why it would be "sparsely populated" given that it was towards the end of a relegation season where they didn't so much go out with a bang as a whimper. Their exact sorry record from the turn of the year was as follows:

Man Utd away 0-2
Portsmouth home 0-2
York away 0-3
Blackpool home 0-0
Notts County home 0-1
Fulham away 1-2
WBA away 0-4
Orient home 0-1
Cardiff away 0-0
Millwall home 0-1
Southampton home 0-1
Notts Forest away 0-1
Norwich home 0-1
Bristol City away 0-1
Oxford home 1-1
Aston Villa home 0-4
Hull away 0-1

Actually, those poor sods huddled on that roofless Kop were in for a rare treat: a Wednesday goal - their second, no less, in fifteen games.
Haha..fickle part timers SF.

The shed was converted into a small factory type building I think in the late 60s but my active interest in watching trains was re kindled in the mid 70's when I found myself on Pickering station North Yorkshire and went to many preserved lines as I enjoy railway photography. On retirement in !996 I started work as a cleaner/fireman on the Kent and East Sussex railway as a volunteer and stayed with them for some 12 years until I got to old .Still have line side passes for railway photography on various lines.
Have always been fascinated by steam trains.
Going back to Millhouses shed there were other sheds in Sheffield being Canklow and darnall, botyh long gone.

UTB
If you are up this way later in the year Barrow Hill round house is well worth a visit especially on a steam weekend. Closed for renovation work at the moment except in May for the Real Ale festival should be open again in the autumn. It could well be one of the last round houses in the country.
http://www.barrowhill.org/

Last edited:
Just going back to slag heaps...found this sparsely populated one...
View attachment 22242

Haha..fickle part timers SF.

The reason that hump on their kop is empty is that it was reserved for United fans. I don't think we played them between '71 & '79 whilst they were not so massive so that part of their ground was permanently unoccupied during that period.

post-124-1175607550.jpg

That pub was one of the best late night drinking places ever. Nags Head on Shalesmoor and Brown Cow up the road. All Wards, all wrong end of town, all fantastic if you wanted a low profile and to drink Sheffield Best until beyond the night clubs... 3 rooms in that space. Each time I go to The Manchester I look down at where this pub stood and salute...

Nowadays it would be a Kelham Island gem...

View attachment 22197 Calling our local Historians

Where was this pub and why does it ' enjoy ' an infamous place in Sheffield folklore ?

Long thin bar to the left.. Used to let you take a pint over the road to the curry house. Did a few lock ins, played a few bands at one time. Last pub before the blues on the left and up the stairs.

Biggest crime was the one pence a pint rise in 91. Never been In since!

Cracking shots, love buses from the old days, there was or still is a bus museum in Doncaster but despite best intentions have never visted.

UTB

I remember jumping off the back of the old open back buses before they had actually stopped

Sadly this looks like being converted into flats :( Cant we have a whip round and raise the 1.25 million its up for ? Bargain I think.
image.jpg

Used to sell Wards, then onto one of the first to sell Abbeydale Moonshine.

Best memory though was one of Abbeydale Grange's finest lesbians smacking me in 1983. I didn't deserve it but she feckin wrecked me... That place needs a blue plaque..

Many a wedding fight ended on Psalter Lane..

The shed was converted into a small factory type building I think in the late 60s but my active interest in watching trains was re kindled in the mid 70's when I found myself on Pickering station North Yorkshire and went to many preserved lines as I enjoy railway photography. On retirement in !996 I started work as a cleaner/fireman on the Kent and East Sussex railway as a volunteer and stayed with them for some 12 years until I got to old .Still have line side passes for railway photography on various lines.
Have always been fascinated by steam trains.
Going back to Millhouses shed there were other sheds in Sheffield being Canklow and darnall, botyh long gone.

UTB

Nah then Kent Blade. Seems like we have a few things in common beyond just geography. You anywhere near Canterbury? Maybe time to chew the cud, lament Wards and look forward to First Division football once more...

This is somewhere in Sharrow, apparently.
So many houses round our end had EL OFF painted on them before they were knocked down.
Demolished houses between Hill St and Alderson Rd in S2 made for great adventure playgrounds.
sheffield0022.jpg

As a young kid, I genuinely thought that "El Off" was some type of swearing

Were that Tony's chippy or was it before then?

Was that near the Red Lion? After I'd moved but I have a recollection of one there.

I remember Thompsons at the bottom just up from the Samson and the Barracuda below the street where the baths was. Plus a Chinese near the Barracuda. Pie and Peas shop a bit further up.

Were that Tony's chippy or was it before then?

It was Mary's Barracuda Bar. The bus stop was about 50 yards further up the road outside the library so the bus was still going at a fair lick when you went for it. You also had to jump off about 10 yards before the chippy to allow yourself time to decelerate and not overshoot.

Next to the chippy was a pie shop. It was a treat to go there after getting bleached at Park Baths. It closed sometime in the sixties and I swear I've never eaten a pie so heavenly since.

Sadly this looks like being converted into flats :( Cant we have a whip round and raise the 1.25 million its up for ? Bargain I think.
image.jpg

Me and Mrs Bartman had our wedding reception there in July 88...same day as the Springsteen concert. Can't remember much at 10pm that night ;-)

According to my wife I am still happily married ! :)

Back
Top Bottom