Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

My grandmothers maiden name was Milner and lived in what is now S5.
We could be related!. My grandfather's grandfather was called John and his father was Frank who was born in Barlborough in 1872. Have always wondered why the family moved from Barlborough to Sheffield in the 1880s

Just going back to slag heaps...found this sparsely populated one...
View attachment 22242

To be fair, if it's the Wednesday v Oxford game in 1975 you can understand why it would be "sparsely populated" given that it was towards the end of a relegation season where they didn't so much go out with a bang as a whimper. Their exact sorry record from the turn of the year was as follows:

Man Utd away 0-2
Portsmouth home 0-2
York away 0-3
Blackpool home 0-0
Notts County home 0-1
Fulham away 1-2
WBA away 0-4
Orient home 0-1
Cardiff away 0-0
Millwall home 0-1
Southampton home 0-1
Notts Forest away 0-1
Norwich home 0-1
Bristol City away 0-1
Oxford home 1-1
Aston Villa home 0-4
Hull away 0-1

Actually, those poor sods huddled on that roofless Kop were in for a rare treat: a Wednesday goal - their second, no less, in fifteen games.

Living abroad I often stayed at Priory Lodge before a homegame. I believe it's closed now. I chose it as it was the cheapest, had a good breakfast but the rest was forgettable. Had a 70's look inside even in 2007 wich was the last time I stayed. Have good memories of aIM000701.JPG few draughts before walking down to the lane on a saturday.

Sadly this looks like being converted into flats :( Cant we have a whip round and raise the 1.25 million its up for ? Bargain I think.
image.jpg

l started work in 1963 as a butcher for S&E Coop. First shop was at Heeley Green. I had to get off the bus at Heeley Bridge and walk up Gleadless Rd. All the way up were terraced houses, now almost all gone. After looking at all the photos of old pubs it made me think back. On Alexander Rd was a pub in the middle of the terrace, just the size of one or two houses. It's now long gone. Does any old git on here remember the name?

l started work in 1963 as a butcher for S&E Coop. First shop was at Heeley Green. I had to get off the bus at Heeley Bridge and walk up Gleadless Rd. All the way up were terraced houses, now almost all gone. After looking at all the photos of old pubs it made me think back. On Alexander Rd was a pub in the middle of the terrace, just the size of one or two houses. It's now long gone. Does any old git on here remember the name?
This old git is trying to place Alexander Rd, is this where the buses went up and down?

The Myrtle?

This is somewhere in Sharrow, apparently.
So many houses round our end had EL OFF painted on them before they were knocked down.
Demolished houses between Hill St and Alderson Rd in S2 made for great adventure playgrounds.
sheffield0022.jpg

That is the corner of St Paul's Parade and Norfolk Street. Peace Gardens would be off to the right.

The shop in the fore is the old army stores. Used to buy combat jackets from there and paint "Blades Rule OK" and shit like that on the back. Was a bit of a football fashion item in the sixties but guaranteed you a kicking at an away ground if you had the wrong message on the back.

Spent many hours in there.
Anyone recall the commissionaire who had large spectacles and looked a bit like Arthur Askey.
Can't recall the Arthur Askey lookalike KB...Used to go as a kid and saw my first cinema film there.

Here you go Robby..post-188-0-47154300-1371931748_thumb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom