Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TWJ-249_lr.jpg

Opposite the best curry house in Sheffield before it closed, being the Kashmir Curry Centre when run by Paul. (IMHO)

I could well be wrong on this pal, but I'm pretty sure the Mangla up Spital Hill is run by the same family who had the Kashmir. My uncle went recently and he raved about it; said the staff were dead attentive and they talked their party through what each dish was, where it came from etc. Yet to visit myself but if you liked the Kashmir then it may well be worth a look.

I saw my first ever film at the ' pictures ' there . Jungle Book . God knows when !

My first film too. We lived at Gleadless Townend then, so the Rex was our local cinema.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle_Book_(1967_film)

Wiki has the release date as October 1967 but it's not clear if this was the UK and so I'd guess late 67 or ealry 68.

It was the last film that Walt actually got involved in as he died in 1966. As a heavy smoker the official cause was lung cancer but it may well have been laughter when Everton came back from 2-0 down at half time to win the FA Cup. The 'other team' were big then but have grown substantially since........

Just for you KB. I think it's Chesterfield Road, but not sure.

post-188-1256656422_thumb.jpg
Very much appreciated SEB.That is Chesterfield Road my end of Sheffield.Wonder if that's me on the bike???????????
Remember all that area well. Just further down on the left was a foot path under the railway line which led onto Broadfield Road, then onto Abbeydale Road where the ,Abbeydale cinema was and then turn left up to Carter Knowle road and on to Millhouses park and Millhouses railway sheds on Archer Road where I spent a lot of time watching the steam engines up and down. Great City.

Keep the images coming brilliant.

UTB

No, it's Chesterfield Road just below where Next, Boots etc is now. Below the second tram is Valley Road.
Definitely Chesterfield road and as you say the road on the right past the tram is Valley Road and on the right hand corner was a chemist shop called Larders where my wife used to work.
Turn right up Valley Road and you come to Carfield Infant and junior school where I went.

UTB

No, Lidl is further down by Little London Rd. I'm going to have a look tomorrow. There used to be Greshams Woodward somewhere there and also a railway sidings.
Is it a filling station or a shopping area.
Was an Esso station as I got stuck going home on a winters night and had to pull in there but I am going back to 1962-66 era.
Sometimes drive past it on my way back to kent after a game.
On the left hand side coming out of Sheffield passing under the railway bridge was the old Heeley Palace cinema, and Rails Of Sheffield which used to be Ponsford furniture shop.
before the railway bridge used to be the Heeley Coliseum.
We had 6 cinemas in the area which we used, those mentioned already plus Heeley Green, Chantry and Woodseats palace.

UTB

When I lived up pitsmoor it was the safest place you could ever wish for,we use to be in pinkys,donkey man's and braces 3 to 4 times a weeks,brilliant days.
Not now.
My grand parents are buried in Burngreave cemetary and is not an area to visit on ones own.
UTB

On way to Intake and then up to Frechville.
trams used to terminate at the bottom of this road.

UTB

I bow to your seniority in this matter KB

Id imagine the tram terminus was subsequently converted to a bus terminus that was in use untill quite recently . This is the only picture i can find of it now but it was a much more substantial ' back in the day ' This is situated in the dip coming down from Intake and just before you go uphill on Birley Moor Road . As an aside , this old terminus is at the side of what used to be the Birley Bingo . Its now the " Steel Shack " which televises all games involving the Blades and the Pigs with all draft beers at £2 a pint on the days in question . Ive never used it myself but ive heard its a cracking place to watch the games .

intake.jpg

That's the Woodthorpe isn't it ,pre Embassy drinking on Friday nights.

Yes its the old Woodthorpe ..... a real den of iniquity when it was open . I used to like it in there ;)

Cracking shots, love buses from the old days, there was or still is a bus museum in Doncaster but despite best intentions have never visted.

UTB

This is Doncaster bus guru Tony Peart. He taught me O level English when I was at school in Chesterfield.

He once asked us "Have you noticed, boys, that when you are on a bus you are likely to get an erection?" He also taught us about the Phallus of Goole, a building he was very fond of, for some reason.

untitled.png

I bow to your seniority in this matter KB

Id imagine the tram terminus was subsequently converted to a bus terminus that was in use untill quite recently . This is the only picture i can find of it now but it was a much more substantial ' back in the day ' This is situated in the dip coming down from Intake and just before you go uphill on Birley Moor Road . As an aside , this old terminus is at the side of what used to be the Birley Bingo . Its now the " Steel Shack " which televises all games involving the Blades and the Pigs with all draft beers at £2 a pint on the days in question . Ive never used it myself but ive heard its a cracking place to watch the games .

View attachment 22223

Currently owned by the Sheffield Steelers management (also Rhino Sports next door). It's not bad.

Back
Top Bottom