Your oddest/oldest/favourite Utd programme

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's good that boy...but I note he has not had much to say about the Read/Fitzgerald and Bennion/Starkey dilemma.

That's the sort of question that separates the sheep from the goats
I'd be happy just to know the result of the game. And (in view of the statement on the cover page) did United ever deign to take the first-team squad?

I would like to have seen Sabella play cricket. Flamboyant leg-break bowler? Batted without pads?

He's down at 13 so he was probably the drinks carrier, although we can probably assume that John Matthews refused to go in which would have notched him up the batting order by one to 12 so he probably got on as a substitute fielder in a position where he could be easily hidden.

I'm imaging that Mick Speight was a slogger and that Len de Goey was out for a golden duck but refused to walk, over and over and over and over and over...

The oldest programme that I have had in my possession is a United reserves versus Aston Villa from the 50's which featured the beloved Doc Pace playing for Villa. The last time that I saw it was in the loft some years ago

River plate program.
You just ruined my day! I was going to put the cover of that prog up as my favourite. For that I am now going to boast that it is partly because it has the autographs of 5 of the Argentina World Cup winners in it.:mad:

Probably the Cup Semi programmes & two replays from 60/61 which I bought about 30 years ago. At that time I never expected us to get near a semi final in my lifetime as our cup record while I'd been watching them was abysmal.

Lovely memories, Blades 2 - 0 up, filth make it 2 all and then John Tudor slips the ball between Gromitts open legs right below me at The Lane End for the winner.
Great day. Having trouble getting the image of Grommitts open legs right below you out of my head though...;)

Not so much a single programme, but a style thing. 1975 and the Lane Line Up is suddenly a very narrow, pocket-sized publication. I remember the moaning and complaining at the time, but I had quite a liking for something that was unique then and now. As I donated my programme collection to my son, he has all those now.

SheffieldU-Stoke-12.04.75-L.jpg

Not so much a single programme, but a style thing. 1975 and the Lane Line Up is suddenly a very narrow, pocket-sized publication. I remember the moaning and complaining at the time, but I had quite a liking for something that was unique then and now. As I donated my programme collection to my son, he has all those now.

SheffieldU-Stoke-12.04.75-L.jpg
I agree with you on this. I just hope my son doesn't read your last comment, though.

And as a good luck omen for Saturday, here is the programme for a 2-1 cup win at Bolton. If we could keep Lofthouse out, we can do the same to Madine. I remember we were shocked as a family a few days before this game hearing Michael Miles on Take your Pick saying to a contestant from Bolton that he hoped his team would win on Saturday; apparently after many complaints, ITV issued an apology, and said he meant to say he hoped they had a good game.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    683.9 KB · Views: 0
Afraid not....... if you got a tenner you've struck gold
As you will have gathered, I know nothing about programme values. As a kid I used to buy and swop them because I found them interesting, and I have carried on keeping them for the matches I go to. Apart from a ManU post-Munich programme against you-know- who, I've never had a clue about what they are supposedly worth. Are you serious that the tuppence sheet of paper from Chester is now worth several pounds? This creates a problem for me. Mrs HBT complains about the space these useless items occupy; if she thinks they are valuable, the pressure to get rid grows. And if my son and heir reads this...

As you will have gathered, I know nothing about programme values. As a kid I used to buy and swop them because I found them interesting, and I have carried on keeping them for the matches I go to. Apart from a ManU post-Munich programme against you-know- who, I've never had a clue about what they are supposedly worth. Are you serious that the tuppence sheet of paper from Chester is now worth several pounds? This creates a problem for me. Mrs HBT complains about the space these useless items occupy; if she thinks they are valuable, the pressure to get rid grows. And if my son and heir reads this...
Quite sure HBT although you might have some of value. 70s reserve and single sheet Anglo Scottish cup games are worth more. Afraid apart from these and the odd county cup/friendly/postponed match programme you have to go back to the early 50s before they start accumulating any value.... unless you have the Huddersfield at home in the cup 1957. That's worth around the £500 mark

Quite sure HBT although you might have some of value. 70s reserve and single sheet Anglo Scottish cup games are worth more. Afraid apart from these and the odd county cup/friendly/postponed match programme you have to go back to the early 50s before they start accumulating any value.... unless you have the Huddersfield at home in the cup 1957. That's worth around the £500 mark
Cheers for that. At least most of the collection should be safe. The reserve programmes and other oddball ones have been grossly neglected, are probably mangled, and have all the half-time scores written in by my dad. I shall treat them with a new respect. You also convinced me that Alzheimer's was setting in, as I have no memory of the Huddersfield match; I see it was played on a Monday afternoon, so I must have been at school. The crowd was over 25000; they must have had generous bosses to give them the time off!

The programmes that come to my mind are those printed for home Boxing Day matches in the late 60s/ early 70s - they were the same as the other programmes of that year, but were overprinted with green to look "Christmassy"

Back
Top Bottom