Yorkshire Live -Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

"I wouldn't bring one in just for the sake of it," he added.

We do need a striker in, regardless really. We have one who is out for a while and can't play 90 minutes anyway.

So that leaves us 4.

McGoldrick isn't getting any younger and seem to have become more injury prone
Billy gives everything and has really pushed on in terms of preparation but limited in terms of impact at this level
McBurnie seems to struggle with fitness. I'm not sure how much of this is just the way he looks or he is actually struggling. If he puts a shift in, he looks dead on his feet after 60 minutes
Burke is an unknown quantity. Could be decent, could fail to make an impact yet again

We probably have just these until January. We also have zero attacking midfielders on the bench. So, if one picks up an injury, we'll have one attacking option to bring on. If two, then zero on the bench.

Even if it's just a punt like Zickovic, we have to bring someone else in. Just in terms of options and numbers.

Such a tough situation. All our strikers are good. But none look good enough to get 12 to 15 goals in the Prem, which is what you need.
A Prem striker costs £50m plus, which is beyond us.
So Wilder has to pull a rabbit out the hat.
The danger is we just get another decent but not brilliant striker who is in and out of the team like the others.
Good luck, Chris.

Such a tough situation. All our strikers are good. But none look good enough to get 12 to 15 goals in the Prem, which is what you need.
The danger is we just get another decent but not brilliant striker who is in and out of the team like the others.
Good luck, Chris.
I don't think we need a 12-15 goal scorer, we just need everyone to chip in with goals throughout the season.

Having been a Blade & an English man from Yorkshire for close to 60 years, my cup is generally half empty.
CW is a genius & whenever the fans have questioned decisions he has proved us wrong.

Watching his last 2 press conferences has concerned me. He seemed edgy after the Villa defeat & his pre Leeds demeanor was a real contrast to his usual brash attitude

Felt wrong to me & I get the impression he is finding out what working with an SUFC board is really like. He's seen 4 or 5 top targets cherry picked by others & the striker situation is embarrassing. Leeds fans are well confident about tomorrow as I would be (even with a half empty cup).

"I wouldn't bring one in just for the sake of it," he added.

We do need a striker in, regardless really. We have one who is out for a while and can't play 90 minutes anyway.

So that leaves us 4.

McGoldrick isn't getting any younger and seem to have become more injury prone
Billy gives everything and has really pushed on in terms of preparation but limited in terms of impact at this level
McBurnie seems to struggle with fitness. I'm not sure how much of this is just the way he looks or he is actually struggling. If he puts a shift in, he looks dead on his feet after 60 minutes
Burke is an unknown quantity. Could be decent, could fail to make an impact yet again

We probably have just these until January. We also have zero attacking midfielders on the bench. So, if one picks up an injury, we'll have one attacking option to bring on. If two, then zero on the bench.

Even if it's just a punt like Zickovic, we have to bring someone else in. Just in terms of options and numbers.
At first I thought wilder had lost his mind but then I realised it was just you making stuff up

Having been a Blade & an English man from Yorkshire for close to 60 years, my cup is generally half empty.
CW is a genius & whenever the fans have questioned decisions he has proved us wrong.

Watching his last 2 press conferences has concerned me. He seemed edgy after the Villa defeat & his pre Leeds demeanor was a real contrast to his usual brash attitude

Felt wrong to me & I get the impression he is finding out what working with an SUFC board is really like. He's seen 4 or 5 top targets cherry picked by others & the striker situation is embarrassing. Leeds fans are well confident about tomorrow as I would be (even with a half empty cup).

The thing is mate, it's only 2-3 weeks ago that he was saying that this would be the best transfer window he has ever had at the club, with one more addition. So even assuming that we don't get that striker, it's a bit of a leap to go from those levels of positivity, to being utterly fed up with the board.

I do see where you are coming from, but also think that things aren't quite as bad as all that.

CW has just, and i mean, just, stopped short of openly criticising the SUFC board. What concerns me most , is CW is a man of his word, if he is not supported, my greatest fear is himself and AK walk away.

CW has just, and i mean, just, stopped short of openly criticising the SUFC board. What concerns me most , is CW is a man of his word, if he is not supported, my greatest fear is himself and AK walk away.

If we do get relegated I wonder if CWAK will be up for rebuild from Square one, which is what it would be, players like Berge, Fleck, JOC, Egan would leave and would all need replacing, Billy and Didzy would be pushing things as being too old and would also need replacing at some point, no fans means no income and much of the parachute and transfer income money would be diverted to paying off the loan to buy the assets.

Imperative we stay in this division this season.

Last edited:
The thing is mate, it's only 2-3 weeks ago that he was saying that this would be the best transfer window he has ever had at the club, with one more addition. So even assuming that we don't get that striker, it's a bit of a leap to go from those levels of positivity, to being utterly fed up with the board.

I do see where you are coming from, but also think that things aren't quite as bad as all that.

I think he was confident of getting Brewster on loan 2 weeks ago but the situation changed and now they want to sell him for £20M instead.

Remember that CW said Ramsdale was his big money signing and he was working to the budget he’d been given.

Now he’s been forced into a situation where he’s had to go back to the board and ask them to stretch the budget by another £20M.

Even if he goes for the Arsenal kid instead he’s being pushed to spend £10M that hasn’t been budgeted for.

I think that’s the cause of the current impasse and frustration. That said, I do think that the board need to give CW is £20M. It’s not like he would be spending it on an ageing journeyman with no resale value or potential upside.

I’m also not really buying the notion that we’re skint because of Covid. Yes, we lost money through the turnstiles but less than most of our rivals.

There is no way that they budgeted to finish 9th last season and last 8 in the cup. So the extra income from that will have offset or outstripped the Covid losses.

Crunch time for The Prince, Wilder and United and what happens next will decide our future trajectory for the foreseeable future.

No argument, we defiantly need someone to stand up and be that threat up front, if not for the team then for my blood pressure,. .
But as for Mr Wilder spiting his dummy out and walking .... 😴 dream on

It was just an observation on his press conferences & I may be concerned about nothing.

As far as 'best window' , it doesn't really match up with his latest comments in which he states " GK & up top were my Stella targets & still are". The 2 statements don't appear to match up. It's not often CW shows anything but gratitude to the board but he has appeared frustrated with them in the last week.

Hope I'm wrong & usually am.

It was just an observation on his press conferences & I may be concerned about nothing.

As far as 'best window' , it doesn't really match up with his latest comments in which he states " GK & up top were my Stella targets & still are". The 2 statements don't appear to match up. It's not often CW shows anything but gratitude to the board but he has appeared frustrated with them in the last week.

Hope I'm wrong & usually am.
He said that Ramsdale is the "big signing" so that will mean he was expecting Brewster to be a loan signing

If Wilder and the board keep spunkin money on fallen and injury prone players rather than quality like Sander Berge we will never have funds to strengthen. I know the old negative and glass half empty trolls will start shooting from the hip but as we are now we are looking at almost certain relegation. The players ran out of magic back end of the restart and haven't rediscovered it. With a strike force of Billy, Didsy, McB and Burke up against world class keepers and defences, come on.
Watching every game on TV at the moment it’s clear that nearly every team has a degree of quality we lack or have lost (eg Hendo). Wilder is right to be concerned with a board so lacking in financial clout they were split 3/2 on a brilliant bit of business with Lowe and Bogle. What chance does he have in buying an average striker with starting prices around the £25m mark?

It's obvious we badly planned this window look at wilder comments they expected other teams to not strengthen very bad planning and could cost us

Best window ever according to Wilder the other week. He must have meant the windows on his new house.

If we do get relegated I wonder if CWAK will be up for rebuild from Square one, which is what it would be, players like Berge, Fleck, JOC, Egan would leave and would all need replacing, Billy and Didzy would be pushing things as being too old and would also need replacing at some point, no fans means no income and much of the parachute and transfer income money would be diverted to paying off the loan to buy the assets.

Imperative we stay in this division this season.

I honestly think we'll have the reverse problem.

Berge would have many suitors. I honestly believe some of our fans overestimate how good some of our players would be outside of our formation. I very much doubt any Premier League club would be interested in anyone else. Maybe JoC but we'd not get that much for him.

We'll be stuck with a squad on high wages and with several of them past their best. Not being able to get rid of anyone in order to raise funds to bring new players in.

Berge would have many suitors. I honestly believe some of our fans overestimate how good some of our players would be outside of our formation. I very much doubt any Premier League club would be interested in anyone else. Maybe JoC but we'd not get that much for him.

We'll be stuck with a squad on high wages and with several of them past their best. Not being able to get rid of anyone in order to raise funds to bring new players in.

Anyone coming up from the Championship would take Egan and Fleck in a heartbeat

what I don’t get is why spunk the majority of the budget on bogle/Lowe when they haven’t been in the squad and aren’t going to improve our starting 11 ane walk straight in
We’ve known we needed a first choice quality striker it should have been the priority at the start of the window the majority of people were all saying a striker Is gonna be our main target

Think teams would be after Berge, Baldock, JOC, Egan & Ramsdale. Maybe a promoted teams desperate for a striker would gamble on Moose and/or McBurnie. Look at WBA who have just bought Robbo from us to play up top. Would still leave us with a strong championship team tbh

Good luck, Chris.
What a pity we sold Calvin to Everton

Back
Top Bottom