Worse Premier League team ever?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Higgo's Belly

Reaction score

Read this article below, regarding Derby’s record low points total season. The author assumed that no team would ever be in such a mess, that it could possible to be worse than Derby that season. They got that wrong unless, please step forward Ralph Hasenhuttl.​

Derby County (2007-08): 11 Points

derby 2007-08 worst premier league season

There are few certainties in modern life but knowing that no team will ever beat Derby County’s 11-point Premier League campaign from 2007-08 is one of them. A season so bad that it can be used as an adjective, “oh wow, your season is going a bit Derby 07-08”, a campaign so awful that it will never be overtaken (undertaken?) by any other side. When Sheffield United started the 2020-21 Premier League season with two points from their first 17 games, some panic merchants wondered whether Derby’s record was under threat. But it is so hard to maintain such a level of professional depravity over 38 games. The Blades would end last season bottom of the division, but with 23 points all the same. More than twice a Derby, in other words.

Derby were promoted to the Premier League by beating WBA 1-0 in the 2007 playoff final. Amid the cheers and the delight, no-one quite realised what a poisoned chalice this victory would be, and even after the first game of 2007-08, a 2-2 draw with FA Cup winners Portsmouth, it was still possible that things might just be ok.

17 September 2007 was a Monday and it was the only date in either 2007 or 2008 that Derby County would win a Premier League game. At home to Newcastle, a Kenny Miller goal (which was missed by the live television cameras who were showing a replay at the time) separated the two teams, Derby climbed to 19th and then took two points from their next four games, with Miller scoring again, the striker’s second of the season. Six points from 10 matches. It’s not brilliant but it’s 23 points over the course of a whole season. Incidentally, Miller would go on to finish as Derby’s top scorer that year. Scored the most winning goals for them too.

Then everything got much, much worse.

By late November manager Billy Davies had left, replaced by Paul Jewell. The January transfer window saw a classically eclectic mid-2000s spree, with the likes of Danny Mills, Emanuel Villa, Laurent Robert, Robbie Savage, Hossam Ghaly, Roy Carroll and Alan Stubbs all signing up for certain doom. In all, 36 players featured for Derby in 2007-08. Only two sides, Middlesbrough in 2005-06 (37) and Fulham in 2013-14 (39) have ever used more in a single Premier League campaign.

A 2-2 draw at Newcastle just before Christmas ensured that they, alongside Fulham (two draws) would be the only side not to beat Derby this season. The second Fulham draw, 2-2 in late March, was the result that guaranteed (in case anyone post-October thought they had a chance) Derby’s demotion, which they celebrated by losing their final six games, a spell that saw them leak six goals to both Aston Villa and Arsenal. Emmanuel Adebayor scored hat-tricks in both of Arsenal’s games against Derby that season, another Premier League record.

So the Rams ended the season on a run of 32 Premier League games without a win, with Jewell having collected just five points from 24 games in charge, with a record low 20 goals, with a joint-record 29 defeats, a top-flight record low 11 points and a Premier League club record 89 goals conceded in a 38-game season. The club have not returned, though they have lost the Championship playoff final twice since 2008, in 2014 and 2019. After avoiding relegation to League One on the last day of the 2020-21 season, it looks like (Wayne Rooney managerial heroics aside) next season Derby will indeed be in the third tier, thanks to penalties worth 21 points being applied. And if 21 points sounds like a lot, just think how it sounds to anyone involved in Derby’s 2007-08 campaign. You might as well call it a million.

This team would beat that Derby side but I could still see us getting less given the difference in class between us and the vast majority of the league.

Put Ryan one up front what worse could happen we might lose

We won’t finish with a worse points total than Derby, mainly as I win money if we do, and my betting record is shite.
Put £3 on at 80/1 before the start of the season, to get less points than Derby got. Looking good for a £240 return, the way things are going.

At the start of the season I said we would get between 18 -25 points,

Now I would revise that to between 8 - 15 points.

Our best chance of improving on the 15 point mark may come in the March onwards part of the season when a few mid table sides with nowt to play for are mentally on the beach.

At the start of the season I said we would get between 18 -25 points,

Now I would revise that to between 8 - 15 points.

Our best chance of improving on the 15 point mark may come in the March onwards part of the season when a few mid table sides with nowt to play for are mentally on the beach.

Genuinely think you’re mad to even think 8 is achievable! :)

The lowest points total for a team to survive in the Premier League, since it went to a 20 team format in 1994/95 is 34 points. After Saturday we will have to win approximately eight or nine games, plus draw several games to get to that number. Not a chance of doing so, we’re currently on track if current form continues to get 4 or 5 points.

The lowest points total for a team to survive in the Premier League, since it went to a 20 team format in 1994/95 is 34 points. After Saturday we will have to win approximately eight or nine games, plus draw several games to get to that number. Not a chance of doing so, we’re currently on track if current form continues to get 4 or 5 points.

I don’t think the team 4th from bottom will have anywhere near 34points this season.

Whoever it is will be very very lucky and can see a team surviving of more like 25ish this season.

I still don’t think it’ll be us BUT 34 for another of the bottom 4 is unlikely.

WBA under Bryan Robson in 2004-5. Bring him back to us then!

IMG_3035.jpeg

That’s not technically true. The covid season when we were relegated, WBA and Fulham also got fewer than 30 points.

Burnley in 17th did get 39 but would have survived with 29…

View attachment 173550

That’s not technically true. The covid season when we were relegated, WBA and Fulham also got fewer than 30 points.

Good point, so from that then the lowest points total ever for a team finishing fourth from bottom is 34 then.
The average points for a team staying up is 35.8 and teams have been relegated with much higher, with West Ham going down with 42.

Good point, so from that then the lowest points total ever for a team finishing fourth from bottom is 34 then.
The average points for a team staying up is 35.8 and teams have been relegated with much higher, with West Ham going down with 42.
Surely the target should be to get more points than this year's third-bottom team, not more points than last year's fourth-bottom team? I suspect if either of our teams is sitting fourth-bottom on 32 points with a game to go, and the third-bottom team has 28, we would not be unduly worried about setting a new record for lowest points to finish fourth-bottom.

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

So you’re saying there’s a chance?
No chance with the first choice 11 available, let alone with the current injury situation. Lose tomorrow and it’s the worst start to a Premier League season ever, after ten games. Don’t think anyone’s turning that around, but what else can we do but try a new manager, so the players hear a different voice and different tactics. No point just changing the manager and keeping the same coaching staff though, it needs to be a complete change. Fingers crossed it’s going to be a surprise and it’s Ralph Hasenhuttl.

We won’t finish with a worse points total than Derby, mainly as I win money if we do, and my betting record is shite.

Same ..but I have a feeling my gambling luck might be about to change... unfortunately.

View attachment 173550

Sort of but not quite, to have 29 points they would have to lose 10 of the points that they acquired to get to 39. 4 of which came against fulham putting Fulham on 31 and Burnley down to 35. The got two v West brom putting them now down to 33. So, less than the 34 lowest target.

View attachment 173550

We won 7 games that season???

I can only remember:
1-0 v Newcastle
2-1 v WBA
2-1 v Man U
1-0 v Burnley final game of the season

We won 7 games that season???

I can only remember:
1-0 v Newcastle
2-1 v WBA
2-1 v Man U
1-0 v Burnley final game of the season
That season is a mad blur to me. My main memory is watching us more on telly, weird empty grounds and my boy, who was four or five, coming in looking at the screen and going ‘you’ve got no points daddy, they’ve got one/two/three points’ (points meaning goals on the score) with far too much regularity that I was afraid he’d have our shitness scorched in to his memory.

Was Everton away another one, jebbo’s arrival?

That season is a mad blur to me. My main memory is watching us more on telly, weird empty grounds and my boy, who was four or five, coming in looking at the screen and going ‘you’ve got no points daddy, they’ve got one/two/three points’ (points meaning goals on the score) with far too much regularity that I was afraid he’d have our shitness scorched in to his memory.

Was Everton away another one, jebbo’s arrival?
Yep. Won 1-0 v Everton at Goodison. 1-0 v Brighton. Cannot remember 7th win

Back
Top Bottom