Work in Progress - My observations

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

sheffielder

Welcome Positive Nigel
Reaction score
Sorry, I am sure most people have covered this all, however I will list our woes at the moment.

1. Where is the closing down that Carsley promised us? If you watched our game yesterday you will see that when their keeper had the ball all bar Taylor were in our half. When George had the ball, they had 3 players round the area. We were unable to play out of our own half yet they could do what they liked. I think out of the players still at the club from last year the negative tactics either still remain or are still getting taught. Push higher up and make them have to hoof it long or make mistakes. We are far too negative for a team playing at home. Brandy needs to stay up at all times (including corners). what fucking use is he in our box at his size?

2. I think it's pretty obvious that DW doesn't fancy Hill or Higginbotham so we need to find them a new club, we will probably have to subsidise some of their wage, however with the rest we need to find someone who knows what to do with 40 yards of space in front of him. We can sit here and moan about Collins and Maguire passing across the back 4 all day, however when your full backs are not further forward than they are there is nowhere to go. In the 2 home games so far all I have seen our left backs do is run backwards. McGinty might turn into a good player and he is certainly a big lad however left back?

3. The play of McFadzean/Murphy/Brandy will improve with attacking fullbacks taking up space and pulling players out of position. We attack with 4 players only at all times. If anyone of you watches American Football it's abit like constantly attacking with a 4 man front. Once the QB has put in the right alignments he's going to sit there all day eating sandwiches.

4. If we are to play 1 up with Taylor then we need to give him balls to run on to. I don't think holding the ball up is his bag.

5. Fans in the South Stand. I am getting sick and tired of you picking on the youngsters and booing them instead of seasoned professionals who should know better. Long, Magure and Cody get more grief than anyone else. You're just ******* cowards. McMahon and Brandy the 2nd half had the chance to get a ball in. They didn't, however cody came up and helped out and gave them the only option they had left. They finally gave it to Cody who was closed down who had to go back. He gets booed. What the fuck. Maguire tried a long ball, Rubbish, your crap fuck off. Long comes out of his area and miskicks. The same result, yet Collins makes 2 schoolboy errors, one in each half and nothing is said.

This really is a work in progress and I know from the changes he makes that DW sees the same as we all do and is probably more frustrated than even we are. We need to give this time to work and let DW and his team work this out. We are probably a couple of players light of being a play off team right now, however if we stick with them I am sure we will see better results sooner rather than later.

I am not even going to get into McMahon leaving his man to go and take a short corner leaving them with 3 against 2 for their goal. I am sure that won't be happening again will it DW?

It's going to be a long season, I just hope you all can see the vision of what we are trying to achieve.

Like you I am willing to give DW time, he bloody needs it to have any chance of turning this team around. And you're right, many fans need football re-education as much as the players do. We have been subject to about 30 years of whizz-bang football, some of it effective, lots of it dreadful, along with the understandable cynicism that has come from years of underachievement and seeing favourites sold on.

It is clear that DW is attempting to create a passing/possession based approach yet already the criticisms are flying about unnecessary back passing and lack of penetration going forward. Do people want a return to hoof ball? No I don't think so, but they do seem to expect the team to be world beaters in the new approach immediately. Give DW time he's the best chance we've got.

Ps interesting background on DW here.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-legend-david-weir-im-2177127?

Didn't hear anything myself but dumbfounded to read that Coady was getting booed. Perhaps blades have suffered just too long to show the patience that is now essential.

The one I heard at half time was a bloke saying Page would been more like Warnock. Presumably written off Weir already.

Agree with a lot of that Sheffielder.The Full Backs didn't push forward enough,McMahon in the first half put in some decent crosses from deep,and had a decent shot cutting inside,while McGinty looks like a centre back playing LB.
The only players I can remember getting behind their back line were Brandy and McFadzean,everything was played in front of Colchester otherwise.
I think even if McDonald had been playing he would have had no option out wide...it was like last season.
This is why I prefer Westlake at RB,he offers an option,he goes beyond his marker,gets to the byline and he wants the ball...McMahon(and I think the O/P alluded to it) in the second half had an opportunity to run into space on the outside of the FB,and passed it back to Coady..didn't look for a return,just stood still and looked like he didn't want the ball back...the opportunity had gone and Coady was back to square one.
I know it's work in progress and at times it was frustrating,but I think DW will get it right given time.
Definately need an attacking midfielder who can drive us forward and link the midfield to the attack.

Didn't hear anything myself but dumbfounded to read that Coady was getting booed. Perhaps blades have suffered just too long to show the patience that is now essential.

The one I heard at half time was a bloke saying Page would been more like Warnock. Presumably written off Weir already.

It's the Bladesfans' Way. We have a high percentage of morons.

Pinchy.

Are the fans wrong to have a reasonable expectation that Sheffield United should be a lot better that the likes of Colchester and Brentford?

Our next three games are Bradford A, MK Dons H, and Rotherham A. I can genuinely see defeats coming at Rotherham and Bradford, and us scrabbling around to get a point against Franchise FC. At that point we will have 5 points from 6 games and that is relegation form.

What would happen then at that point?

Pinchy.

Are the fans wrong to have a reasonable expectation that Sheffield United should be a lot better that the likes of Colchester and Brentford?

Our next three games are Bradford A, MK Dons H, and Rotherham A. I can genuinely see defeats coming at Rotherham and Bradford, and us scrabbling around to get a point against Franchise FC. At that point we will have 5 points from 6 games and that is relegation form.

I see three defeats on the way from that lot and the likes of Coventry who started -10 pts overhauling us.

Pinchy.

Of course it is logical to expect the Blades to be better than League one but the reality is we are not. It achieves sweet fa to bitch about it and get on the backs of the team during a match. If we lose the next three matches, we lose them, doubtless we will then have another match, we'll try and win that. The key thing at the moment is to keep everything crossed that DW walks it as good as he talks it. I'm quite optimistic he'll get it right given time and patience.

It comes to something when your most potent goal scorer is your 20 year old centre back.

The most potent goal scorer after 3 games isn't usually a strong indication of who will be through the course of the season.

The most potent goal scorer after 3 games isn't usually a strong indication of who will be through the course of the season.

True but it's an indication of how poor our attackers are when Maguire and Collins are just as likely to get on the score sheet as anyone else.

1. Where is the closing down that Carsley promised us? If you watched our game yesterday you will see that when their keeper had the ball all bar Taylor were in our half. When George had the ball, they had 3 players round the area.

Brandy needs to stay up at all times (including corners). what fucking use is he in our box at his size?

I am not even going to get into McMahon leaving his man to go and take a short corner leaving them with 3 against 2 for their goal. I am sure that won't be happening again will it DW?

They pressed very high up the pitch indeed and did so in numbers, I thought this should have suited as it meant the midfield would be less congested but we never took advantage. This was partly down to Eastmond, their number 6, who had a very good game for them as a holding midfielder.

At our corner (the one they scored from), we started with 4 against their 2 at the back. McMahon then pushed up as you mention and Murphy followed him. Murphy was in acres of space to take a square ball from McMahon but he was ignored which meant the gamble turned into a disaster. We might have got away with just one of them moving forward.

I was confused throughout by our personnel at both attacking and defensive corners. Talking through my wallet a little bit as I backed him after remembering what a threat he looked at set pieces against us last season but surely McGinty should go forward when we have a corner?

Completely agree that bringing Brandy back to defend corners is pointless.

Pinchy.

short answer ,,,no
theres lots of factors to consider
brentfords the only team to beat us , but only missing a penalty cost them automatic promotion , their managers had 3 seasons now to get it going

should wigan have spent 8 years in the prem rather than say ipswich a team with a far better history
its called football , you have cycles you go through , we are in early rebuilding mode
and if you look colchesters unbeaten , they have turned round being awful first half 2012/13 to inproving , showing some patience and rebuilding
we cant turn out on the pitch and say tony currie played for us in 1972 so will you kindly roll over for us
did you watch bournemouth beat fa cup hoilders wigan yesterday , the nerve of those upstarts really

Pinchy.

No, the fans are quite right. However, the only way we will regain our rightful superiority is through playing proper football.

Your second question is entirely hypothetical, mate. I don't share your fears. We'll see soon enough, though!

This is why I prefer Westlake at RB,he offers an option,he goes beyond his marker,gets to the byline and he wants the ball...McMahon(and I think the O/P alluded to it) in the second half had an opportunity to run into space on the outside of the FB,and passed it back to Coady..didn't look for a return,just stood still and looked like he didn't want the ball back...the opportunity had gone and Coady was back to square one.

Westlake another player who gets unnecessary stick. McMahon in some people's mind is the safe option but his limitations are ridiculous and a decent set piece is all he offers.

I guess we've been spoilt with attacking right backs over the last few seasons. McMahon's delivery is great, but he's rarely in the half to deliver, apart from set pieces..Entirely deflated after McD's departure. He might not have been as effective as he should have been, but I loved watching him when he showed up..Moving on, yesterday was disappointing , to say the least.. Surprised that McGinn didn't start. I think he's a quality signing...Other random comments- Jamie Murphy , I thought he looked a player without confidence when he joined, he looks terrified now..He's better than what we've seen surely!..McFadz, doesn't always work for him, but at least he tries to make something happen. Brandy will take on the world..David Weir, you've got a job and a half on your hands..I wish you well, and I'm 100% behind you..UTB

The team we have at the moment gets worse the further up the pitch you go.

Goalkeeper - Good
Defence - Decent
Midfield - Poor
Attack - Nonexistent

In the 1973-74 season, goalkeeper Alex Stepney was Man U's joint top scorer around Xmas time with 2 goals (both from penalties) and it wasnt a surprise Man U got relegated that season!

Pinchy.

Nostrobrownie.

Edit: Actually it was even worse than that!

Back
Top Bottom