Will Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
If big IF we go up will wilder be tempted to sign mainly players from abroad or will he stick with the British philosophy

Worked great for wolves but not so for Fulham

I don't expect us to sign a single forriner next season.

And if we can assemble an adequate all British squad, that's fine. It will help us. But long term....

I suspect he will start by hoovering up some young British talent from the Championship, who he thinks can step up. Unlike now we will be able to afford it and it wouldn't bust the wage structure, which would need to remain within reasonable limits for a while.

Wilder never switched tact going up from L1 to the Championship, and I wouldn't expect him to do any different in the league above. We'd be the Brexit of the Premier League!

Whether that brings similar success on the pitch remains to be seen. But one thing is for sure he won't get value for money sourcing only 100% British Isles stock in the Prem.

If big IF we go up will wilder be tempted to sign mainly players from abroad or will he stick with the British philosophy

Worked great for wolves but not so for Fulham

Is there an actual 'Buy British' policy at United? It's a serious question we need to consider. There are plenty of players of foreign extraction who are capable of playing in our system, so why would we persist with a policy that's at best limited, and at worst difficult to justify? (contentious I know, but selecting players from around the world seems to work for most clubs). Plenty of us have called for the club to enquire about Brentford's Maupay, a player of French descent who is clearly good enough for a higher level of football.

I'd be interested to know the opinions of other posters. Would it really harm to sign quality players simply because they weren't born here?

I imagine he’d get whoever will best improve the team, no matter their nationality

However, I was wondering about this yesterday: in the evolution of a pro English manager, one of the steps is surely when you get non English-speaking players in and have to deal with the language and cultural barrier, still being able to get them into your system, understand your requirements of them and the team, and get them to perform.

If he wants a long term future at the top level, he will need to do it one day. I don’t think he will shy away from the challenge next season if overcoming it means we could be better.

I don’t think he cares about ideals like a fully British team. I think he just wants to win

Personally see him carrying on his philosophy of loaning young players from the top 6 for the spine of his team.

Can see him sniffing around Liverpool for the likes of Harry Wilson, see which youngsters Chelsea would like to lend us for a season, see if Utd have some players who can't break in ahead of their 'superstars', see if City want us to develop a player like we did Brooks...

One thing I can't see him doing is what Fulham did and spunk £100m on players he's only seen on Youtube...

Ageing British players who know the league is the smart move.

I'd bring Gareth Barry in for a starter.

Don't care where they come from as long as they are Premier League standard (If we go up of course)

Premier League standard British players are few and far between and are hoovered up by four or five clubs which is why the rest search abroad for talent, we need to do the same.

Personally I believe CW will sign players, be they British or foreign only if they fit his team ethics.
Doesn't matter where they from.

Don't care where they come from as long as they are Premier League standard (If we go up of course)

Premier League standard British players are few and far between and are hoovered up by four or five clubs which is why the rest search abroad for talent, we need to do the same.

I think Wilder will go for the better players in the Championship which I think is a good plan.

We’ll sign from within Britain but I expect a couple of foreign recruits.

Maupay being one. Hopefully.
I wouldn’t go for maupay, didn’t they reject £20m last summer. He scores a good amount of goals in the Brentford team but he isn’t a great finisher. He shoots almost double the amount of times per game than sharp. Maupay has scored 1 more in a lot more minutes.

If we could get him for under £10m (we can’t) then I’d sign him, otherwise I’d look at other options.

I wouldn’t go for maupay, didn’t they reject £20m last summer. He scores a good amount of goals in the Brentford team but he isn’t a great finisher. He shoots almost double the amount of times per game than sharp. Maupay has scored 1 more in a lot more minutes.

If we could get him for under £10m (we can’t) then I’d sign him, otherwise I’d look at other options.

He's one year further on with his contract though, a big issue
Besides if a higher placed club comes in for him Brentford have to let him go

I have no idea about what individual players he might want to recruit, but I just pray he sticks with the Wilder brand and philosophy of attacking football that we have all seen work so well in L1 and the Championship over the last 3 seasons.
Would hate to see a more careful, defensive, conservative approach to the Premiership. As long as we can score more than we concede......

It’s been a joy watching United games these last 3 seasons.

It isn't a policy to sign British players, it's just the way the cookie has crumbled. Paul Mitchell was on Biggs' show the other week talking about a lot of foreign scouting that we'd been doing recently.

It isn't a policy to sign British players, it's just the way the cookie has crumbled. Paul Mitchell was on Biggs' show the other week talking about a lot of foreign scouting that we'd been doing recently.

Yes saw that. Mentioned south America?

Back
Top Bottom