Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Seems sensible, we do need back up in a few positions. Injuries and suspensions are likely to be sooner rather than later. I don't think we'll spend loads mind.

I suppose the logic is

If we were down near the bottom, suggesting possible relegation...then it would be difficult to persuade players to join us....so we’d need to overpay for them.
Where as now....we have a positive vibe....the world can see we play positive attacking football and try to win home or away.
Any ambitious player on the up would be seriously interested in joining us.....it’s called striking whilst the iron is hotl

I suppose the logic is

If we were down near the bottom, suggesting possible relegation...then it would be difficult to persuade players to join us....so we’d need to overpay for them.
Where as now....we have a positive vibe....the world can see we play positive attacking football and try to win home or away.
Any ambitious player on the up would be seriously interested in joining us.....it’s called striking whilst the iron is hotl
I think he meant it slightly differently when he said it a few weeks ago. His thinking was if we were out of our depth, and adrift, no point chucking money at it.

Makes sense for the owners, if Wilder thinks £20-30m can make us a strong, maybe even top 8, Premier League team that only makes everyone's job easier going forward, attracting players, values of existing assets etc. Hope the owners recognise their position.

Makes sense for the owners, if Wilder thinks £20-30m can make us a strong, maybe even top 8, Premier League team that only makes everyone's job easier going forward, attracting players, values of existing assets etc. Hope the owners recognise their position.
The problem is though, how do we spend that 20/30m to improve. It's not that easy. It might get us 2 players max and even then not likely to be first XI.
We strengthened the squad depth dramatically, but the first XI, it's not really that much different to last season.

From Rob Staton's twitter

Asked Chris Wilder today about a new contract at Sheffield United, given Graham Potter & Dean Smith were both rewarded recently. CW: “I've always said to players, we'll come to them. The same then goes for us (staff)."

Will post clip later #twitterblades @BBCLookNorth https://t.co/WQnL5wEIkD
Media doing its thing to try and find trouble, but Chris only had a new contract in the last 6-9 months, surely now isn’t the time to be having those in-depth conversations. He’s been rewarded before for good performance, there’s no reason for him or anyone else to believe that won’t be the case again once we’re safe.

The problem is though, how do we spend that 20/30m to improve. It's not that easy. It might get us 2 players max and even then not likely to be first XI.
We strengthened the squad depth dramatically, but the first XI, it's not really that much different to last season.

I agree with you on the match day 11 mate, but with the season now in full flow, with potential injuries and suspensions, getting better quality squad players would do no harm.

True, but we could do with hugely improving our back up in some positions, for a start I'd pay a fee to Verrips former club if they only want £2-3m, so we can actually use him without fear. Then I'd go and get a couple of CBs, at the moment Stearman and Bryan are midtable championship and U23 level respectively.

A few players who'd be off could be sold for money, Freeman has to be worth a million or so surely? Would help towards a replacement.

I don't think we'll spend £20m on Bowen or anything but I think a few modest £6-8m transfers would bring players more likely to get in the first team.

I'm not a football manager though so obviously the above has a "probably bollocks" disclaimer haha

True, but we could do with hugely improving our back up in some positions, for a start I'd pay a fee to Verrips former club if they only want £2-3m, so we can actually use him without fear. Then I'd go and get a couple of CBs, at the moment Stearman and Bryan are midtable championship and U23 level respectively.

A few players who'd be off could be sold for money, Freeman has to be worth a million or so surely? Would help towards a replacement.

I don't think we'll spend £20m on Bowen or anything but I think a few modest £6-8m transfers would bring players more likely to get in the first team.

I'm not a football manager though so obviously the above has a "probably bollocks" disclaimer haha
Stearman 750k
Freeman 1m
Bryan 250k
Holmes 100k
Clarke 400k

2.5m there!

I’d say the biggest problem is finding the money. Neither of our owners have got spare cash and neither will be even looking down the back of the sofa until the legal issues are sorted.
All we will have to spend is whatever is left from the PL money (+ other income) which has been partly spent on transfers and on the huge wage bill increase.
My rough guess is that there’s still some left but I can’t see us spending similar to what we did in the summer.

I’d say the biggest problem is finding the money. Neither of our owners have got spare cash and neither will be even looking down the back of the sofa until the legal issues are sorted.
All we will have to spend is whatever is left from the PL money (+ other income) which has been partly spent on transfers and on the huge wage bill increase.
My rough guess is that there’s still some left but I can’t see us spending similar to what we did in the summer.
I too would be surprised, not least because there's no Value for money in Jan, unless you're talking players who are out of contract in the summer and refusing to sign/or be offered a new one.

I suppose the logic is

If you're at the bottom of the league then everyone knows you're desperate, you're less attractive to players, and so prices must go up a bit. But the biggest thing is that if you're at risk of going down then spending money is risking the financial future of the club.

The next three games are going to be huge for our strategy. Three winnable games, best case scenario is we'd be sat on 31 points with half the season to go. Going down would be extremely unlikely to say the least and we could take our pick of whatever targets we have.

Worst case scenario is we lose three on the bounce, go into an extremely tough run of January wondering where our next win might come from. Then pushing the boat out might be riskier.

Realistically, we pick up a win or two from the next three games, we're in a strong position, and we ought to look at signing one or two quality players.

If you're at the bottom of the league then everyone knows you're desperate, you're less attractive to players, and so prices must go up a bit. But the biggest thing is that if you're at risk of going down then spending money is risking the financial future of the club.

The next three games are going to be huge for our strategy. Three winnable games, best case scenario is we'd be sat on 31 points with half the season to go. Going down would be extremely unlikely to say the least and we could take our pick of whatever targets we have.

Worst case scenario is we lose three on the bounce, go into an extremely tough run of January wondering where our next win might come from. Then pushing the boat out might be riskier.

Realistically, we pick up a win or two from the next three games, we're in a strong position, and we ought to look at signing one or two quality players.
So just to confirm what happens depends on if we win all three, or we lose all three or we win one or two. I think I've got it. :)

So just to confirm what happens depends on if we win all three, or we lose all three or we win one or two. I think I've got it. :)

I think the only worrying situation would be if we had a collapse and only picked up a point or less. But basically, the stronger position we have in the league the less risk a big money signing would carry.

I think the only worrying situation would be if we had a collapse and only picked up a point or less. But basically, the stronger position we have in the league the less risk a big money signing would carry.
It depends on how you assess risk. A stronger league position would make it less likely that something could go wrong but it wouldn’t reduce the consequences should something go wrong. If we weren’t financially able to deal with those consequences, it’s simply a risk we couldn’t afford to take.

We will find out In a few weeks Harry then you will know what I'm saying is true...... Wilder been told there isn't any cash.... So he's putting pressure on the Prince in the public domain now..

Good work Chris hope it works and they give you 20mil or so to get your targets

Up the Blades

Let's hope the pigs get the 21 point deduction and they end up back in league one x

We will find out In a few weeks Harry then you will know what I'm saying is true...... Wilder been told there isn't any cash.... So he's putting pressure on the Prince in the public domain now..

Good work Chris hope it works and they give you 20mil or so to get your targets

Up the Blades

Let's hope the pigs get the 21 point deduction and they end up back in league one x
Some great covering of tracks there pal.

Makes perfect sense to strengthen with the position we are in. 1 big player to seriously challenge for the Didsy role immediately (£10-15m maybe). I love Didz, but we really need some serious competition there. I also hope CWAKPM have still got all their contacts in the lower leagues because 2 or 3 couple of million pound players would be a no brainer. The type we like ..... young and hungry. Give them half a season to settle into our way of playing then be ready to challenge (if they are up to it) in pre-season.

Back
Top Bottom