Wilder on recruiting Hecky

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He talks Ndiaye for a bit in the longer video

Very, very good

In different circumstances that’s exactly what you’d hope to put in place - continuity and disaster recovery.

Let’s put spin reduction into place - he fucked up and it went to shit - on the credit side he put Hecky and Jack in place.

Did he do it in case he left? What the fuck does it matter - he did it, it’s turnout for the best.

Fair more like the Chris of old.

Don't be put off. He's good value. Far, far more like PL Season 1 Banter Chris than PL Season Two Mardy Bum Chris.

Remarkable what a global pandemic, no fans in, losing games without really being completely out of them every week does for your mood.
Don't get me wrong he was dealt a shit hand and I think we'd still be there now had covid not come along.
That's no excuse for turning into a mardy narcisstic maniac.

Fair more like the Chris of old.

Don't be put off. He's good value. Far, far more like PL Season 1 Banter Chris than PL Season Two Mardy Bum Chris.
I like/love Chris Wilder, much respect for him and what he did. But I have to disagree with your comment that Wilder is back to his best and not mardy bum Wilder because mardy bum Wilder is still a part of Wilder if that makes sense!? He's a winner, but when it goes wrong, as it did at United, you will see mardy bum Chris because he won't be happy and understandably so. He does have an ego, he is a strong personality, and as seen since he left United at Boro, he hasn't changed much as far as I'm concerned and in some respects why would he because overall his career speaks for itself. Some United fans are critical on Wider, particularly how he left, me included at times; usually depending largely on what person and their particular football club persuasion, but you have to take Wilder as the complete package in my view. When it's going well he's the best manager bar a few, when it's going badly he seems unable to change things and becomes mardy and critical of his own players and/or the board but in the case of the latter it no doubt has some merits to it in fairness, we one day will hopefully hear his perspective. I think it's ok to love Wilder but not agree with parts of his management, or find parts of his management frustrating; like his press conferences at times for example.

So I'll always love Wilder despite his shortcomings because we all have them and his positives far outweigh the negatives if that makes sense!? I'll end with this. Despite how bad it may have been at the time, I still believe both the Prince and Wilder should have worked it out. I don't think, not as I sit here today, has Wilder reached the highs he did at United and he left his boyhood club, he will struggle to replicate the bond with any club like he had with United because he was "One of our own" and did so incredibly well. I do wonder, right now at least, whether Wilder wishes he was still managing United? Maybe yes but still not under the Prince would be my guess; the two obviously come as a package right now!

Remarkable what a few million quid in pay offs does to your mood 😀
What would you rather have if you were a manager though? Manage the Blades, get a pay off or manage the Blades, and keep managing the Blades whilst getting paid good money to do so? If he got “a few million” as a pay off, he’d have been on “a few million” as a wage.

Wilder did very well out of the Blades but the Blades did very well out of him. I’ve no idea exactly where we’d be if he hadn’t turned up when he did but when you look at how much most championship clubs were losing at the time, we’d have struggled to stay there without the owners putting a lot into the club. When you read the court case, you can see how unlikely it was that they’d have done so, I think we’d be in L1, either because the alternative to Wilder would have been some manager called Nigel or similar who couldn’t get us up, or got us up and couldn’t keep us up. We’d have been Charlton, or Ipswich, just a club that was once decent with a fairly big ground.

Instead, we’ve had a few good seasons, built up our fan base and profile and we’ve probably got a couple more seasons where we can compete at the top of the championship (if we don’t go up), before we have to consider how we’ll progress whilst being sustainable. We’ve probably got enough assets to sell to rebuild, and we may continue to be able to keep selling players and reinvest, if we can keep developing signings like Anel and keep developing our youth players. If we go up, we get even longer, even if we don’t stay up.
It’s a shame he couldn’t keep us up for longer but it was always going to be a difficult job, even if it hadn’t been for Covid.

Jack O’Connell’s let himself go a bit

Attachments

• 23FC0349-C5F3-4BBF-B8D8-73253C0FB3A7.jpeg
    23FC0349-C5F3-4BBF-B8D8-73253C0FB3A7.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 11
I laughed when he mentioned the youth set-up. Nice revisionism there. Mr youth policy 🤣

Hopefully shitting down his leg at Middlesbrough has enabled him to develop some self-awareness and emotional intelligence!

If he has, then can't wait to see him back! There's a League One side somewhere that's going to go on one hell of a journey!

Back
Top Bottom