Wilder has changed nothing......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In fairness to Chris he's changed the defence.

And made it incredibly worse.

My thoughts during the game were that today was some of the worst defending from set pieces I've ever seen in my 40 plus years attending games.

I thought I may have been harsh and asked some mates older than me in the pub afterwards. Didn't get much of a challenge.

Considering we set up defensively and had so many behind the ball, it was mind blowing how much space Villa constantly got in our box.

The cherry on top was the shot into the ground first half cleared off the line. I'm sure science would suggest that it was unlikely for a player to have 10 yards of space in that scenario.

Shocking starting selection and shocking substitutions.

In fairness to Chris he's changed the defence.

And made it incredibly worse.

My thoughts during the game were that today was some of the worst defending from set pieces I've ever seen in my 40 plus years attending games.

I thought I may have been harsh and asked some mates older than me in the pub afterwards. Didn't get much of a challenge.

Considering we set up defensively and had so many behind the ball, it was mind blowing how much space Villa constantly got in our box.

The cherry on top was the shot into the ground first half cleared off the line. I'm sure science would suggest that it was unlikely for a player to have 10 yards of space in that scenario.

Shocking starting selection and shocking substitutions.
This is true nobody knew who they were picking up and they always had a man completely free on the edge of the box, cost us one goal could have cost us 5 or 6

Sunday league teams and managers can see the man stood on his own at the edge of the box and get someone to go and stand next to him .. its not rocket science

Wilder built a fantastic team in 2016 to 2019 with some fantastic signings. Let’s not forget that up until Covid we hardly conceded goals & I think had one of the best defences in the Premier League. However, he had Basham playing fantastically well & O’Connell who deserved to be playing for England in Autumn 2019. Around that we had Baldock, Egan & Stevens and Henderson who gave us a really solid unit.

Go forward 4 years and Wilder has inherited a shambles of a defence & to be honest I think he is struggling. The players we have are just not good enough and most importantly there is no leader!!!! I used to see O’Connell / Basham / Baldock & Henderson constantly ‘at it’ most games. That is why I’d have much preferred the guy from Forest Joe Worrall than Mason Holgate…. Until Wilder can bring in a leader we will collapse during games & lose any shape = a few more hammerings I’m afraid.

Before the first goal went in players were chasing down the ball and putting pressure on whoever had the ball. Players were being marked. As soon as the first goal went in the players just gave up. No one closed anyone down. No one marked anyone. Everyone was stood four yards away from Villa players and they just made it easy for Villa to pass through the space we created from giving up and putting in no effort.

As for the lack of marking at set pieces, my lad's under 11s team defend better than those amateurs in red and white shirt. It doesn't matter whether the player you mark cost £100mil and you play in League Two. The set up to defend corners is exactly the same. Ours was woeful. The fact that we let Tielemans go free twice in a row was pathetic.

I didn't think it was possible but we are actually getting worse defensively under Wilder, what do they work on in training!!?

We couldn't stop crosses and every time in went in our box they had a man completely free at the far post

Surely this can't be that hard to address... its not brain surgery is it ffs

Swindon shipped 100 goals back in the early days of the PL.

Most conceded…..so far🤔

I disagree that wilder has changed nothing. I’ve never seen us play most of a home game with no striker, when needing to come back from a 2 goal deficit before.

If that was about trying to limit the thrashing, it failed.

Back
Top Bottom