Who was last “proven” player we bought?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agree but he was the last proven player to sign for us and has paid that fee back 10 times or more

True and I just think these players should be leaving in a better fashion.

That said I was glad to see Fleck welcomed back pre-match v Arsenal. He deserved to have fans thank him and show appreciation for his time served with us.

Ian Rush
Steve Thompson
Stewart Hueston
Martin peters
Paul McGrath ( ok he was still class )
Gary speed
Arran “ the cunt “ Ramsdale
Beattie

I would probably argue Ramsdale had proven himself by the time we brought him back, if not would be Hamer or Egan

6 starts for Everton in 21/22 and 22/23 combined (subbed off 4 times). He's 25 now. Basically they had a kid who made his first team debut aged 17. They hoped to have a wunderkid on their hands, and for a few years he was doing "alright for his age" so they persevered.. but he kept getting older and the performances didn't improve, so he became a bit part player the last 2 seasons (presumably no one was interested to take him off Everton hands given he'd have been on a "wunderkid" contract so he just had to wait for the contract to expire).
And yet they offered him an extension, which he turned down to play first-team football.

You could say this season both Hamer and Archer were proven players... "at Championship level". The jury is out whether they could be considered a success in the PL.
Is it? They haven't been a success at PL level, surely

I’m in the middle of my BIR Curry thread and training, add that to my dylixecsia and I’ve got a reasonable excuse B4 but come on CURRY? It’s like spelling Woodward MDF.

Having written Curry dozens of times in my latest BIR curry thread, watched dozens of curry videos, read dozens of curry books it was a simple slip on the keyboard to get his name wrong. It could have been worse, I could have claimed our best signing was Pork Pie.
Pork Pie was a great player on his day, unfortunately during the latter part of his career he ended up looking a tad crusty around the edges then legs went to Jelly and couldn't keep of the Sauce 😉

And yet they offered him an extension, which he turned down to play first-team football.

Is it? They haven't been a success at PL level, surely

I think it's fair to say Everton are in a league of their own when it comes to spaffing money up the wall. Ultimately the stats don't lie.:

Under 10 goals in his 8 yr career.
Under 10 assists in his 8 yr career.
Under 10 appearances in the previous 2 seasons.

Amazing that anyone can try and paint a pretty picture from that.

I think it's fair to say Everton are in a league of their own when it comes to spaffing money up the wall. Ultimately the stats don't lie.:

Under 10 goals in his 8 yr career.
Under 10 assists in his 8 yr career.
Under 10 appearances in the previous 2 seasons.

Amazing that anyone can try and paint a pretty picture from that.
But it doesn't fit the narrative you try to paint either of them wanting rid of him when his contract expired. A club better off and higher up the table than United wanted to keep him, that wouldn't happen without a reason would it?

But it doesn't fit the narrative you try to paint either of them wanting rid of him when his contract expired. A club better off and higher up the table than United wanted to keep him, that wouldn't happen without a reason would it?

We dont know the details of the offer do we? They might have chanced a 50% pay cut? Clearly the offer made it clear he wouldn't be a first teamer, hence his decision not to stick around so he could get 1st team football elsewhere.

Let's be real, he must have presumed he would be playing his first team football in the Championship this season and felt like he won the lottery when a Prem team showed interest.

Beattie, Gary Naysmith, Andy Reid, Egan, Norwood all came to us with a proven CV for the level we were at at that time.

Back
Top Bottom