Who are we?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

tridellaswasclass

Reaction score
Following on from the 'lump it to McBurnie' thread and a few comments on Blades Pod recently, it has made think that it is particularly valid at the moment to ask who we are, what we are trying to achieve and whether the players know their respective roles.

I don't dislike McBurnie but I often thought at times last season we looked better without him on the pitch, possibly because we were forced into being more creative with our play, played to feet more and didn't 'play the percentages' and look for second balls. That hasn't been the case this season, predominantly with McBurnie on the pitch.

Wilder refers to it as almost being lazy to question the system. There is nobody who loves Wilder more than me and I'd defend him to the hilt. However, vs Southampton with Jagielka LCB our 'system' was fundamentally not the same. I don't think Jagielka played especially badly but he is, due to his age, one of the least mobile players in our squad. When we are at our best we have quick incisive interchanges of passes, creating space and options and getting us up the pitch. The triangles of Left Centre Back - Left Wing Back - Left Centre Midfield (as on the right) are crucial to this. If the personnel isn't there for the LCB role - which it could be argued without Jack O'Connell it never has been - what are we trying to acheive? Fleck and Stevens' form has dropped massively but are they as clear in their roles as they were last season? Is Berge, for all his qualities, too slow on the ball to suit our 'style of play' (whatever that style is)? Does this get found out more against teams that adopt the high press like Southampton and, to a lesser extent, Leicester?

I think the worst part of the depression-inducing defeat to Southampton was not only how bad we were but we appear to have completely lost sight of what we are trying to do. Anyone else feel the same?

We are bottom of the League with 1 point. A few hours away from getting trounced 4-0

Very easy to pick on individual players
McBurnies missed a few, but all strikers do, otherwise Kane and Aguerro or somebody would get about a hundred goals a season

The strikers would relax more in front of goal if they knew they were going to get more than one chance every four weeks.

Following on from the 'lump it to McBurnie' thread and a few comments on Blades Pod recently, it has made think that it is particularly valid at the moment to ask who we are, what we are trying to achieve and whether the players know their respective roles.

I don't dislike McBurnie but I often thought at times last season we looked better without him on the pitch, possibly because we were forced into being more creative with our play, played to feet more and didn't 'play the percentages' and look for second balls. That hasn't been the case this season, predominantly with McBurnie on the pitch.

Wilder refers to it as almost being lazy to question the system. There is nobody who loves Wilder more than me and I'd defend him to the hilt. However, vs Southampton with Jagielka LCB our 'system' was fundamentally not the same. I don't think Jagielka played especially badly but he is, due to his age, one of the least mobile players in our squad. When we are at our best we have quick incisive interchanges of passes, creating space and options and getting us up the pitch. The triangles of Left Centre Back - Left Wing Back - Left Centre Midfield (as on the right) are crucial to this. If the personnel isn't there for the LCB role - which it could be argued without Jack O'Connell it never has been - what are we trying to acheive? Fleck and Stevens' form has dropped massively but are they as clear in their roles as they were last season? Is Berge, for all his qualities, too slow on the ball to suit our 'style of play' (whatever that style is)? Does this get found out more against teams that adopt the high press like Southampton and, to a lesser extent, Leicester?

I think the worst part of the depression-inducing defeat to Southampton was not only how bad we were but we appear to have completely lost sight of what we are trying to do. Anyone else feel the same?

Missing JOC is massive of course, but we still have End and Fleck. For whatever reason they are much worse this year. All our best attacks come down the right this season and almost never the left. We probably need to take a chance on someone like Robinson and let him have a run of 5/6 games there to get some momentum with Enda and Fleck on the left. Or we bite the bullet and play 4 at the back and play a different way altogether.
At this stage whatever we do may not work as we have neither the confidence or the players to get the results we need to stay up. V sad to say but probably true.

"Bottom of the Premier League, you'll never sing that!"

Back
Top Bottom