Where has the fight gone?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Gyp the blade

Reaction score
Only 1 person is to blame here Heckingbottom he’s taken the fight,determination,passion out of the team. Bought in 3 players that play in the same position Hamer,mcatee,archer the no 10 role. How could he not even think about signing a quality goalkeeper? No disrespect to Wes but he’s called league 1 Wes for reason. Heckingbottom is never been a man manager he’s all about fitness That’s why we’ve had so many injuries

Wes is not a PL keeper but I agree he's not the problem here.

The fight goes the second you sell the two best players and fail to replace a personality like sharp or a young talent like Doyle. That's four important cogs of the machine gone

As for Wes yeah some of the goals against him have been soft but in the main he's kept scores much lower than they could've been with some top saves

Disinterested players already checked out all over the fucking shop. Vast chasms for the oppos to pour through, or round, or behind, or wherever they choose Average of 25 shots given up by the 10 men outfield. But Wes is shit. Well done op.

Disinterested players already checked out all over the fucking shop. Vast chasms for the oppos to pour through, or round, or behind, or wherever they choose Average of 25 shots given up by the 10 men outfield. But Wes is shit. Well done op.
I don't think the players are disinterested. They look lost and devoid of ideas or inspiration. They don't know what to do as they've been told to play one way and it's not working.

Unfortunately in modern football many footballers become mindless drones. The manager makes all the decisions for them and only truly maverick players can utilise their initiative to shine. Hence why Duffy and Ndiaye were so good for us, and David Brooks to a certain extent. If they're told to hoof it the length of the pitch everytime they get the ball, then that it what they'll do all game, even when better passing options present themselves to them. This is often why young academy players are so exciting to watch when they break through into the first team. They just do what comes naturally to them, right or wrong, as they've not been over coached yet. They play with natural instinct.

I don't think the players are disinterested. They look lost and devoid of ideas or inspiration. They don't know what to do as they've been told to play one way and it's not working.

Unfortunately in modern football many footballers become mindless drones. The manager makes all the decisions for them and only truly maverick players can utilise their initiative to shine. Hence why Duffy and Ndiaye were so good for us, and David Brooks to a certain extent. If they're told to hoof it the length of the pitch everytime they get the ball, then that it what they'll do all game, even when better passing options present themselves to them. This is often why young academy players are so exciting to watch when they break through into the first team. They just do what comes naturally to them, right or wrong, as they've not been over coached yet. They play with natural instinct.
Even worse than I thought then. Hecky is telling them to nesh challenges/ watch with interst as their man roams free/ get rid of that round thing anywhere,asap.

One word " composure". Not one player has it at the moment. Not one player can put his "foot on the ball" as we used to say. Too many times the ball was passed in hope rather than direction, like a hot potato. Rarely did we win the ball back and have numerous options to pass to. It was very negative. Even free kicks and long throws into the box caused little panic. We lacked confidence in spades. Time for the players to stand up and not hide. They are good players playing like bad players, upto management to turn this around.....Pronto.

One word " composure". Not one player has it at the moment. Not one player can put his "foot on the ball" as we used to say. Too many times the ball was passed in hope rather than direction, like a hot potato. Rarely did we win the ball back and have numerous options to pass to. It was very negative. Even free kicks and long throws into the box caused little panic. We lacked confidence in spades. Time for the players to stand up and not hide. They are good players playing like bad players, upto management to turn this around.....Pronto.
Disagree with one of your points. The long throws into the box seemed to cause mass panic in our own defence when Fulham inevitably broke forwards after we committed everyone forward. Apart from that, spot on!

Only 1 person is to blame here Heckingbottom he’s taken the fight,determination,passion out of the team. Bought in 3 players that play in the same position Hamer,mcatee,archer the no 10 role. How could he not even think about signing a quality goalkeeper? No disrespect to Wes but he’s called league 1 Wes for reason. Heckingbottom is never been a man manager he’s all about fitness That’s why we’ve had so many injuries
He's called it because the ex pig racist Di Canio called him this when Wes was unfortunate enough to play for the racist ex pig at Swindon.

Disagree with one of your points. The long throws into the box seemed to cause mass panic in our own defence when Fulham inevitably broke forwards after we committed everyone forward. Apart from that, spot on!
Point taken.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I said this months ago and got called a Pig for it. Fact is, I was right. It was clear from the get go that Heckyu wasn't up for the challenge. Should have canned him and got someone else in.

Not only that, but movement off the ball.

It's ok having players with composure on the ball, but the next pass is only available when players make moves - giving the player in possession options. Norwood often gets his ping right when there's movement ahead and he can land the ball in the correct areas. At the moment it appears all our options off the ball are either cut down due to better defending and marking or the player on the ball gets closed down quickly. It's not just one player making himself available its multiple players continually moving into space to pull opposition players out of position. It seems an easy fix but you obviously have to have all the players on the same wavelength and unfortunately we don't.

Not sure if that's a coaching thing or that we don't have the quality of players to execute it. Maybe both.

Hamer isn’t a 10 either.

He’s about 7 starters short of being given a chance. That’s on the board.
The players not being able to do the basics like being organised, keeping posession, passing ,movement and attacking intent is not on the board.

It is not that we are losing, it is the way we are losing which is why many are now questioning Hecky

It's ok having players with composure on the ball, but the next pass is only available when players make moves - giving the player in possession options. Norwood often gets his ping right when there's movement ahead and he can land the ball in the correct areas. At the moment it appears all our options off the ball are either cut down due to better defending and marking or the player on the ball gets closed down quickly. It's not just one player making himself available its multiple players continually moving into space to pull opposition players out of position. It seems an easy fix but you obviously have to have all the players on the same wavelength and unfortunately we don't.

Not sure if that's a coaching thing or that we don't have the quality of players to execute it. Maybe both.
Very well put

The players not being able to do the basics like being organised, keeping posession, passing ,movement and attacking intent is not on the board.

It is not that we are losing, it is the way we are losing which is why many are now questioning Hecky
I get that and I do tend to agree…we haven’t got a competitive squad but there are certain minimum qualities that we aren’t showing. And although we’re bad we should expect better. I do see the logic in why people might think a new man addresses this. Who that man is though, I’m not sure. Maybe we keep our powder dry for a few more weeks and see who becomes available.

I’ve lost me footy mojo again
That's exactly how I feel too at the moment. It's starting to get a bit embarrassing again. Not because we are losing - I can stand that as long as we are giving it everything - but, as bartman says above, "it's how we are losing". We are desperate for some strong on-the-field leadership and direction.
utb

I'd add that we don't necessarily have the calibre of player with the foresight or the athelticisim to routinely bring that, because the manager hasn't been backed properly.

The signings have a lot to do with it. They should have contained more athleticism and work rate, and we could have done with a couple more oven ready domestic signings

In hindsight, not retaining Sharp was a big mistake, even if he'd barely get on the pitch

When I look at the squad now, I see no particular identity, for the first time in a long time

Heckingbottom also can't motivate them. He has zero passion and charisma. Presumably there are no huge bonuses in place this season either

Oh and Baldock has been injured. It has only turned to complete shit since then. Don't underestimate that. He's the only actual leader we have on the pitch. Egan is a joke captain, the closest we have to a leader among the rest is McBurnie!

Hi Stegosaurus here

It's clear from our lack of bottle and lack of heart, that we clearly wouldn't be able to overcome a 5-0 deficit against Peterborough, the way our gallant neighbours did. I heard that's being made into a movie, with Denzel Washington playing Big Daz Moore and Stanley Tucci as Barry Bannan.

The signings have a lot to do with it. They should have contained more athleticism and work rate, and we could have done with a couple more oven ready domestic signings

In hindsight, not retaining Sharp was a big mistake, even if he'd barely get on the pitch

When I look at the squad now, I see no particular identity, for the first time in a long time

Heckingbottom also can't motivate them. He has zero passion and charisma. Presumably there are no huge bonuses in place this season either

Oh and Baldock has been injured. It has only turned to complete shit since then. Don't underestimate that. He's the only actual leader we have on the pitch. Egan is a joke captain, the closest we have to a leader among the rest is McBurnie!

Agree with all of this.

It is noticeable that in his last 5 interviews, Hecky has said that “nobody is going to feel sorry for us”. I do wonder whether the manager has detected some self-pity in the squad and is putting out in public, the message that he is trying to get through to them in private.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

In those early weeks of the season, we were woefully short, due to poor recruitment by the board. We were starting preseason, a few games in, almost. In terms of trying to gel players.

Then, we've had some harsh results along the way, where we could've had 1 or maybe even 3 points.

Failed to hold on to a point v Forest
Failed to hold on to a point v City
Dropped two points v Everton
Lost all 3 points against Spurs

Then we know the Newcastle performance after that, and it's easy to see where the fight has dropped.

A team who are still trying to gel keep getting a seeing to, in the hardest league in the world, and probably could've otherwise had more points. That's very different to our previous PL squad having that sense of togetherness when we were promoted.

Back
Top Bottom