Where do we go from here?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
The basis of this is something I posted in the "Now the dust has settled thread" but I thought (how egotistical...) that it merited its own discussion.

In League One, a side with the budget and players we've got should, in theory, be able to play teams off the park. Sides like Oldham, Notts County and everyone in between will know that if they try and play they might get taken apart. That means that opposition managers will now be taking notes that United struggle when pressurised high up the pitch (a lack of composure in possession for the back 4), rely on Kevin McDonald for tempo (close him down before he turns) and lack awareness on the wings (Flynn excepted) and up front.

They will also notice that too many of United's players don't have good enough concentration. How many goals have we conceded this season from set pieces or hoofs into the box? That means that every opportunity to slow the game down will be taken - even at 1-0 down - as it breaks the play up.

It's now up to the management team at SUFC to drill into the United players that they are good enough to rise above the mind games and to not let their performance sink to the levels that they did on Saturday. I think some of the team need a rest but last season showed that Wilson is of the belief that players shouldn't be dropped unless they're truly awful.

I'd also really like Wilson to take the opportunity provided by the JPT to give some of the fringe players a run-out. Who knows; maybe one of Westlake, Chappell or McFadzean could have a blinder and prove to be ready for first team football.

Where do we go from here? - Notts County and then more importantly Preston.

Don't care quite as much as I used to. If they succeed marvellous, if they don't what's new? They will never be any better than average because they never have been in modern times. Can't be arsed to analyse the reasons why we are where we are and why we're struggling at home lately. Nowadays I just treat my matchday experience as a very expensive day out. Football's governing bodies milk every last penny out of the masses that follow it with very little return for the majority whilst a large percentage of them fret over their team and practically stay awake at night thinking about it.

Once you look at football in the cold light of day and see it for what it is, it becomes easier to accept persistent failure without the need to question why it's happening. Best thing you can do is just forget the last game and hope the next one is better.

Where do we go from here? - Notts County and then more importantly Preston.

Don't care quite as much as I used to. If they succeed marvellous, if they don't what's new? They will never be any better than average because they never have been in modern times. Can't be arsed to analyse the reasons why we are where we are and why we're struggling at home lately. Nowadays I just treat my matchday experience as a very expensive day out. Football's governing bodies milk every last penny out of the masses that follow it with very little return for the majority whilst a large percentage of them fret over their team and practically stay awake at night thinking about it.

Once you look at football in the cold light of day and see it for what it is, it becomes easier to accept persistent failure without the need to question why it's happening. Best thing you can do is just forget the last game and hope the next one is better.

Good to see that you're taking a positive view on this, Patrick - in spite of all the reasons why not, you're confirming that you're still a miserable Blade like all the rest of us....

George

same owd ........................same owd....................... that's where ! FACT.

The basis of this is something I posted in the "Now the dust has settled thread" but I thought (how egotistical...) that it merited its own discussion.

In League One, a side with the budget and players we've got should, in theory, be able to play teams off the park. Sides like Oldham, Notts County and everyone in between will know that if they try and play they might get taken apart. That means that opposition managers will now be taking notes that United struggle when pressurised high up the pitch (a lack of composure in possession for the back 4), rely on Kevin McDonald for tempo (close him down before he turns) and lack awareness on the wings (Flynn excepted) and up front.

They will also notice that too many of United's players don't have good enough concentration. How many goals have we conceded this season from set pieces or hoofs into the box? That means that every opportunity to slow the game down will be taken - even at 1-0 down - as it breaks the play up.

It's now up to the management team at SUFC to drill into the United players that they are good enough to rise above the mind games and to not let their performance sink to the levels that they did on Saturday. I think some of the team need a rest but last season showed that Wilson is of the belief that players shouldn't be dropped unless they're truly awful.

I'd also really like Wilson to take the opportunity provided by the JPT to give some of the fringe players a run-out. Who knows; maybe one of Westlake, Chappell or McFadzean could have a blinder and prove to be ready for first team football.

Fuck me better go and lie down ,agreeing with B.B what's the world coming to. :)

Good to see that you're taking a positive view on this, Patrick - in spite of all the reasons why not, you're confirming that you're still a miserable Blade like all the rest of us....

George

Miserable Blade? I didnt know there was any other kind?

I'm just as big a Blade and just as miserable about it as the next supporter. The one comfort I have is that I've learned to accept it will always be this way. I don't fight it, I do want them to be much better but I cant be arsed to worry about whether they ever will be. Like BB says same owd same owd so its easier if we just get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom