When United beat the European champions

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
A big League Cup upset, second division United beat European Champions Liverpool in the League Cup on August 28th 1978 (45 years ago on Monday). Hopefully we will have a similar inspired performance tomorrow!

That day I was supposed to be back to my boarding school to start my 6th year, my dad told the headmaster that I would be back a week later due to a family holiday! I was able to attend the Liverpool, River Plate and Palace games!
I was at the River Plate game. I don't remember the Palace game. Was that the season we opened with a 1.2 loss to Leyton Orient with Sabella making his debut?

I was at the River Plate game. I don't remember the Palace game. Was that the season we opened with a 1.2 loss to Leyton Orient with Sabella making his debut?
Yes, Liverpool on Monday, River Plate on Wednesday and Palace (Woody's last home game) on Saturday. Orient was at the start of the season, then Leicester away and Preston away before the Liverpool match

it was the first game I got it! I honestly thought the John Street Stand was about to collapse. I was 10. We got the posh seats (well seats) for the first time, only been on the kop before.

All the other games it was the whole event, the fans (fighting) drunks, the songs. clinging onto a railing half way up the kop whilst sat on the barrier, with a huge drop to the sunken walkway going across the middle of the kop. Only way to see anything, but ridiculous risky through todays eyes.

Great memories.

I was at all three games. The Liverpool game was truly brilliant to beat the European champions. Great atmosphere that night. At the end we came out of the kop and down Shoreham St with a big mob of blades walking to Pond St chanting "Champions of Europe" 🤣
After such elation little did we know what was to come with relegation that season and later the club it free fall.

I remember also going to Millmoor that week to watch them play arsenal in the cup and I think Rotherham won 3-1 for another big cup upset.

Edit - Rotherham v arsenal was day after our game. Loads of Blades were at Millmoor that night.

Last edited:
Fantastic night to overturn such a great Liverpool team. Sadly, the next round brought us back down to earth with a bump. Leeds fans singing 'Thank you very much for Tony Currie' during a 4-1 win at The Lane.

Back
Top Bottom