What would you realistically be happy with next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was thinking of the rebuild, we do need to rebuild from the bottom so getting the training ground built and the category one academy and also getting the ground to a stage where it can generate more income would be better for long term planning, we can’t afford to compete with just about all of the clubs in the PL so we need to create financial and good player wealth or we’ll just be yo-yoing between divisions.

Just to be competitive, so basically pushing to go back up with the unfortunate aim to have another go in the prem, which teams like ours are just not welcome and not built to survive in.

Realistically…………. Top of table, swashbuckling football, doing pigs twice if they stop up and blaster taking armband and leading us to promotion

Sat and Tues football, a couple of giant killings at lane and knocking Wrexham out of league cup.

Owt else is under achieving

I get there's a big difference between asking what would you realistically happy with next season, and where do you realistically think we'll finish next season, but I don't get where all of these top six comments are coming from.

We're about to potentially lose up to 16 players next season through contracts expiring, though some will get new deals. We're selling Archer back plus at least one to balance the books, despite spending relatively nothing last summer and coming down with parachute payments, and the wage bill reducing from out of contract players leaving.

The club is already talking up utilising loans, who likely won't arrive until late into the transfer window, so once again pre-season will be hampered, disjointed and likely poor from the lack of signings joining early doors and getting valuable minutes before the season starts. So unless the loan players have started regularly in pre-season for their parent clubs then they'll not be match fit and ready for game one..... again.

Sorry, but I'm just not that optimistic with the rabble of shit currently running this club still in charge, which they will be as no one is going to meet the Prince's valuation, or his demands to remain some control once sold.

I can only see a season of stability at best, if we can even manage that. I worry as we didn't even utilise free agents the last time we came down and only signed one permanent player, who we seemingly couldn't afford last time and have now been docked two points for.

What would I realistically be happy with is an odd question when you think about it, or maybe badly worded, as it's an opinion based on nothing, while where do you realistically think we'll finish is a totally different question. No offence to the O/P.

I was thinking of the rebuild, we do need to rebuild from the bottom so getting the training ground built and the category one academy and also getting the ground to a stage where it can generate more income would be better for long term planning, we can’t afford to compete with just about all of the clubs in the PL so we need to create financial and good player wealth or we’ll just be yo-yoing between divisions.
I get where you're coming from but what is the point of a state of the art training ground when you'll have cheap, crap players training in it?

Our current academy doesn't exactly produce reliable first team players at a steady rate, so will we benefit that much from a Cat A?

I worry about how much valuable money is being diverted to pay for these things while the first team is continually neglected financially.

Has anybody watched any of the championship this season?

Even with our rag tag squad we'll comfortably finish top 10 as there's some absolute garbage in the league.

Regardless of if we're skint or not we will be attractive to players we want to bring in. Decent crowds, plenty of expose (as I imagine we'll be on sky a fair bit), proven history of developing players that go on to bigger things. We're certainly more attractive a proposition than 80% of the teams in the league imo.

Yes we need players but so does pretty much every club in the championship. We've a good opportunity to reset the club and build again. We've got the base of some good young players to fill squad places that could make an impact in the league (Peck, Marsh, Curtis, Brooks, Arblaster, Osula and potentially Jebbo) and it's about getting some strong, experienced pros in around them.

I think top 6 is realistic but it could be a really open championship as there's no standout team for me. Maybe Burnley but they'll have to sell I'd imagine and their squad now is weaker than they went up with imo.

Last edited:

To be able to go to a game with the realistic prospect of ‘ooh we could win this one’

After a season of expecting humiliating defeat in virtually every game it will make a nice change!

Promotion so that we can all breathe a sigh of relief that the club will be ‘stable’ financially, irrespective of the fact we will get dry fucked every week. Again.

I want a new team, and I want to finish in the top 6

By new team I mean a new core of regulars being signed on a permanent basis. And ideally before the season starts

These things should be completely achievable

Youth must also be involved and developed

Attacking, entertaining football a bonus

Above all I'd like a decent owner obviously but that's the only thing here that's not totally realistic

Return of some sort of fighting spirit would do for me.

I can cope with us being not very good (and long-term we’re only going one way under the Prince) if the players have left everything out on the pitch every week, but the combination of us not being good enough and then giving up at the first hint of adversity is bloody tough to watch.

I suspect if we can shift some of the “stepping stone” players like Anel, Souza, etc that will help (assuming we don’t just fill every position with loans instead).

For me it would be not being relegated again and having bought some good young promising players and bringing some through from the youth. Really not bothered about going back up again without having a pot to urinate in.
And then be relegated the season after due to not having a pot to piss in
Promotion for me just for the money

Promotion. How it comes I don’t care. Would be nice to win at Wembley in the play offs though.

I get there's a big difference between asking what would you realistically happy with next season, and where do you realistically think we'll finish next season, but I don't get where all of these top six comments are coming from.

We're about to potentially lose up to 16 players next season through contracts expiring, though some will get new deals. We're selling Archer back plus at least one to balance the books, despite spending relatively nothing last summer and coming down with parachute payments, and the wage bill reducing from out of contract players leaving.

The club is already talking up utilising loans, who likely won't arrive until late into the transfer window, so once again pre-season will be hampered, disjointed and likely poor from the lack of signings joining early doors and getting valuable minutes before the season starts. So unless the loan players have started regularly in pre-season for their parent clubs then they'll not be match fit and ready for game one..... again.

Sorry, but I'm just not that optimistic with the rabble of shit currently running this club still in charge, which they will be as no one is going to meet the Prince's valuation, or his demands to remain some control once sold.

I can only see a season of stability at best, if we can even manage that. I worry as we didn't even utilise free agents the last time we came down and only signed one permanent player, who we seemingly couldn't afford last time and have now been docked two points for.

What would I realistically be happy with is an odd question when you think about it, or maybe badly worded, as it's an opinion based on nothing, while where do you realistically think we'll finish is a totally different question. No offence to the O/P.
100% this

I want a new team, and I want to finish in the top 6

By new team I mean a new core of regulars being signed on a permanent basis. And ideally before the season starts

These things should be completely achievable

Youth must also be involved and developed

Attacking, entertaining football a bonus

Above all I'd like a decent owner obviously but that's the only thing here that's not totally realistic
I. Your dreams

The club however unlikely, will need promotion within the first two seasons back in the Chumpionship. If not the current owner could take us down a darker path than what he has done this season.

We are going to have about 7 first teamers left on the books come June.. plus an absolute walking disaster as first choice keeper.

There is going to have to be one of the biggest rebuilds in the clubs history this summer… do you trust the current hierarchy to get it right?

At this moment I’d snatch your hand off for tenth next season.

For me it would be not being relegated again and having bought some good young promising players and bringing some through from the youth. Really not bothered about going back up again without having a pot to urinate in.

Winning more than 5 games.

We are going to have about 7 first teamers left on the books come June.. plus an absolute walking disaster as first choice keeper.

There is going to have to be one of the biggest rebuilds in the clubs history this summer… do you trust the current hierarchy to get it right?

At this moment I’d snatch your hand off for tenth next season.

I think it'll be maximum loans too as first team players so we'll have this problem again the season after.

Back
Top Bottom