What would you realistically be happy with next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For me it would be not being relegated again and having bought some good young promising players and bringing some through from the youth. Really not bothered about going back up again without having a pot to urinate in.
Top 10 minimum. Don't want a boring mid table season with nothing to play for.

I'm also not bothered about promotion and don't think we'll be anywhere near ready.

All I want is for Bramall Lane to become a fortress again and a place others fear to come.

I also want us to have a sense of identity and signs of a rebuild, where we can see the initial stages of building a new team for the future.

I worry that both of these will be impeded by our greedy owner failing to sell the club, and not releasing funds to Wilder for transfer fees unless he sells first. Loan players will temporarily fill holes in the team but leave us lagging behind when they return home, something that our short sighted owner doesn't seem to grasp.

Next season is likely going to be the 'easiest' path to getting back up again. Neither Burnley or (likely) Luton are as good as Leicester, Leeds or Southampton (on a player for player basis). Nobody is coming up from L1 with the ridiculous run Ipswich had to end last season (Ipswich won 13, drew 2, scored 45, conceded 4 to end last season).

The following season may well see a more established PL team (Palace, Brentford etc) coming down which would make it much harder.

The club has to get promoted in the next 2 seasons or the budget for the whole club (not just senior player wages, full incomings) drops from the £55-65m range down to about £30m. Without an owner to subsidise, that's a relegation budget

Ideally, next season is highly competitive and challenging for the top 2. But to be honest, I'd just like to see attacking, successful football that wins more than it loses

Champions no more no less, or possibly 2nd or at a push playoffs , and if not that a top half finish as if its bottom half i think we always get relegated if were in the bottom half

If it didn’t mean we got promoted I’d love a play off final win, but then we’d be in the PL again so it’s a bit pointless.

I’d really like us to be a fixture in the PL, even with all the cheating, VAR etc. because I don’t see the point in being a midtable Championship team forever. But we’re just really bad at it so it’s embarrassing.

Under the current ownership though we can’t afford not to be a PL team for any length of time, but then we can’t afford to compete when we get there.

Anything less than top 6 is failure, we may be shit in the prem, but against some of the dross in champ we shouldn’t be accepting mediocrity

Robbo, Egan, Bogle, brooks, blaster, Hamer, Souza, is the spine of a good side

If they’re up for it add Anel, McB, Jebbo

If we could keep/return archer and or BBD then anything less than top 2 is sackable offence for the manager

As annoying as some of the EPL antics are, we should always aim to eat at the top table

Anything less than top 6 is failure, we may be shit in the prem, but against some of the dross in champ we shouldn’t be accepting mediocrity

Robbo, Egan, Bogle, brooks, blaster, Hamer, Souza, is the spine of a good side

If they’re up for it add Anel, McB, Jebbo

If we could keep/return archer and or BBD then anything less than top 2 is sackable offence for the manager

As annoying as some of the EPL antics are, we should always aim to eat at the top table
All part of the current confusion at the club is, that list of players

Last year of deal, out of contract, out of contract, 10 career games, 30 career games, potentially up for sale, definitely leaving

If they are up for it add - definitely leaving, out of contract, out of contract

To watch my side play entertaining front foot football home and away every game, scoring plenty of goals along the way because that will be what makes my Saturday evenings enjoyable again

Oh and a good cup run wouldn’t go amiss
Agreed, apart from on the cup run we don’t want Man City, Arsenal or Liverpool at Wembley in the semi final!

We have to get promoted before parachute payments run out or we’ll be in bother. We need to be at least top 6.
Genuine question (not to you Rodley just everyone) and no I'm not a bed wetter or fanny or Conor Sammon or whatever... haven't we already spent these? Are we skint or not?

I've read posts suggesting we'll only have kids and be in a relegation battle, others suggesting the clear out, parachute payments and a transfer fee or two will mean we have our pick of the Championship. I'm sure the truth's somewhere in-between but does anyone know where we're actually at financially please?

Not bringing in any "experienced" "big" "leaders", trusting the youth we have, and finishing 21st or higher

I honestly think people are dreaming if they think we’re bouncing straight back. We’ve got to build a squad around a bunch of promising kids. The old heart of this team is leaving, and nothing can be achieved without a core of experience.

It’s hard enough to do this rebuild with a pot of cash, never mind with our finances.

That’s not to say I think we’re dropping through. But promotion is such a hard thing to achieve.

PS - to answer the question…. a playoff challenge with a good squad refresh. That’ll do.

I have my concerns where we are heading.
Finding a new owner is a major part of those concerns being allayed. Without a change I fear we are heading for bottom half…depending how the summer departures may go and our attempts to recruit we could even be drawn into the relegation zone.

So if we get through this summer, steady the ship and start to build a style of play and identity with players recruited to make us a technical and creative side I will be happy with top 10…halt the slide and set us going upwards again.

Back
Top Bottom