What will Hecky’s next job be?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slim Man

Reaction score
This season has shown him up as the extremely limited manager many of us knew we had.

Tactically rigid, naive, stubborn and awful in-game IQ.

Slimane playing yesterday was more of the same we’ve seen since Wilder has come back, comes in and looks fantastic. Technically gifted and fearless, but he didn’t know ‘the shape’ so he can’t play under Heckyball rules.

Then you’ve got the Souza/Norwood conundrum which has now been proven correct. He looks a lot better without Norwood.

We MUST always play a back 5. Except when we don’t and get a clean sheet…

Everything that’s happening is painting Hecky as a manager in a worse light, I can’t see anything above Rotherham for him. He got the best side in the league up with the best player in the league upfront… apart from handling the off field stuff really well I don’t think he did anything out the ordinary.

I see a situation for him where he’s out of work for a long time. He will think he’s worthy of x job, but in reality he’s still pretty unfashionable and this season going the way it has will have killed all the good stuff he’s built for his reputation.

Very interested to see what happens next for him, and I do wish him luck.

This season has shown him up as the extremely limited manager many of us knew we had.

Slimane playing yesterday was more of the same we’ve seen since Wilder has come back, comes in and looks fantastic. Technically gifted and fearless, but he didn’t know ‘the shape’ so he can’t play under Heckyball rules.

Then you’ve got the Souza/Norwood conundrum which has now been proven correct. He looks a lot better without Norwood.

Everything that’s happening is painting Hecky as a manager in a worse light, I can’t see anything above Rotherham for him. He got the best side in the league up with the best player in the league upfront… apart from handling the off field stuff really well I don’t think he did anything out the ordinary.

I see a situation for him where he’s out of work for a long time. He will think he’s worthy of x job, but in reality he’s still pretty unfashionable and this season going the way it has will have killed all the good stuff he’s built for his reputation.

Anyone with a squad of 50+ to be able to cope with the unlucky injuries that will start about 2 weeks after he’s appointed 🤣. I think he has some qualities but if he reflects on his tenure, I would hope he works on developing a style of play, a way to attack teams and be a bit braver. I also think he needs to realise that football is an emotive sport and, whilst an even temperament is no bad thing, sometimes you need to cry havoc to unleash the dogs of war.

He's a coach, not a manager. Hence why he never lasts long at clubs. Maybe sometimes people need to recognise what they're good at. He wasn't tactically savvy enough and often got found out last season, but the results covered for his stubborness and naivety. This season it bit him on the arse big time and cost him his job.

It's funny how players looked like they couldn't last 90 minutes under him, and yet they have given everything in the last two games and fought until the last minute. He bemoaned his summer transfer activity and yet Souza is transformed under Wilder, Archer looks a real threat and starting to build an understanding with McAtee, McAtee is starting to show the signs of last season’s form, Hamer is getting more involved and Slimane was good off the bench. Hecky couldn't make his signings tick but Wilder can in just one week. Mind you, it's hard for any of the new lads to tick playing Hecky's dog***t negative anti-football and knowing that you're behind Norwood and Fleck when it comes to getting picked.

I don't want to disrespect Hecky but this last five days has shown him up massively and shown that it wasn't all the players fault. They clearly weren't playing for him anymore as they were probably fed up with going out there and trying to execute a limp, ineffective game plan that was doomed to fail, knowing that they'd be told to do the same every match. I don't want to believe it but I'm starting to wonder if the Burnley game was deliberate as it would explain the non-defending for the first goal and McBurnie's ridiculous sending off.

Perhaps he wants to go back to coaching ? Many teams would be delighted to have him in that capacity

He's a coach, not a manager. Hence why he never lasts long at clubs. Maybe sometimes people need to recognise what they're good at. He wasn't tactically savvy enough and often got found out last season, but the results covered for his stubborness and naivety. This season it bit him on the arse big time and cost him his job.

It's funny how players looked like they couldn't last 90 minutes under him, and yet they have given everything in the last two games and fought until the last minute. He bemoaned his summer transfer activity and yet Souza is transformed under Wilder, Archer looks a real threat and starting to build an understanding with McAtee, McAtee is starting to show the signs of last season’s form, Hamer is getting more involved and Slimane was good off the bench. Hecky couldn't make his signings tick but Wilder can in just one week. Mind you, it's hard for any of the new lads to tick playing Hecky's dog***t negative anti-football and knowing that you're behind Norwood and Fleck when it comes to getting picked.

I don't want to disrespect Hecky but this last five days has shown him up massively and shown that it wasn't all the players fault. They clearly weren't playing for him anymore as they were probably fed up with going out there and trying to execute a limp, ineffective game plan that was doomed to fail, knowing that they'd be told to do the same every match. I don't want to believe it but I'm starting to wonder if the Burnley game was deliberate as it would explain the non-defending for the first goal and McBurnie's ridiculous sending off.

Interesting theory re: Burnley game and one I can believe.

Before we appointed him no other Championship club would’ve considered him. His previous permanent job had been Hibernian where he’d been sacked. In that sense he fell lucky that was already with us and was a quick, cheap option.

However, he took us from the lower end of the Championship to a penalty shoot-out away from a play-off final, before following it up with automatic promotion and an FA Cup semi final appearance. You can’t take that away from him.

People can argue that he should’ve done it with the squad, but football has never been that simple.

I think his stock will have risen enough to get another job in the Championship. Maybe not a club expecting to challenge for promotion, but definitely mid-table and below.

I can’t see it being anytime soon though. He’ll have his pay-off from us and probably wants a break.

You'd think he'd have a good enough reputation to get a decent manager job in the champ, or be interviewed for them at least. But I wouldn't expect him to last all that long.

He loves coaching, I think he should get a role doing what he loves and leave management alone now.

To provide a further bit of balance Hecky led the club with calmness and skill through a tricky period, got us promoted and staved off financial ruin.
Deserves credit for that.
This season didn't go well for him but he is a good guy who is an excellent coach and does things in the right manner. Hope he gets fixed up with a new job he can do well at and enjoy. Don't see the need to go all in on him.

Watch all his interviews he constantly scratches his head .
It takes a manager to bring out the best in the workforce. He's definitely one to work with young players / coach but he's not s manager , not tough enough .
Wilder has already brought back the fight and togetherness and immediate impact .
We now have hope this season plus up for immediate return if relegated . The decision should have been made much earlier but I'm confident we will stay up.

He is a very limited manager. Nice chap but limited at the managerial game with his laxk of tactics, in game management, and being able to get players motivated. The continued picking of his favourites and old guard, and the ever lasting ridiculous amounts of injuries are testament to his shortcomings.

I think he more suited to being a football director role as someone who has a calm head I difficult situations and someone who can link in between the manager and a board of directors. He also seems to be Ok at identifying potential decent players in the market. Problem is Hecky thinks he is more a manager and then maybe a coach, but I don't think that is where his real talents lay, and he's probably not really wanting to work in a football director type role. So, a limited football manager he will stay (I have to say I don't think he was being helped by Stuart McCall or Mark Hudson as ive never really rated either im a coaching capacity as they are also failed managers).

I do genuinely have gratitude towards PH for helping the club in a very difficult period and for that he has my thanks. But I always thought he was limited and the promotion achieved last season because we had an exceptional player rather than any great game plan being implemented by the manager. I can see him rocking up at a league 1 club sooner rather than later. He might (hopefully) then come in and take Norwood, Fleck and Osborn off our hands....

Watch all his interviews he constantly scratches his head .
It takes a manager to bring out the best in the workforce. He's definitely one to work with young players / coach but he's not s manager , not tough enough .
Wilder has already brought back the fight and togetherness and immediate impact .
We now have hope this season plus up for immediate return if relegated . The decision should have been made much earlier but I'm confident we will stay up.

I'm not confident we will stop up now (I would have been if Wilder had come in after Fulham away when PH should have been given the chop) but I do now have some hope. If we do stay up it will be by the skin of our teeth. It can be done though now and I'm starting to look forward to games again whereas I was starting to hate every game coming around as I knew it was almost certain defeat.

Think there's definitely a coaching role out there for him if that's what he seemingly enjoys the most in football.

Would be a good appointment for the F.A in one of the U21's/U17's etc set ups. He had a good record with our youth teams and brought a fair few through to varying levels of success.

I was wondering yesterday, if Heckys watched that game, what’s he thinking?

Why didn’t they play like that for me?

Why couldn’t I get them to play like that?

Why do Slimane & Brooks look good?

Set of cunts

Hopefully he will look on and realise you have to change/try things and every now and then it’s ok to not be ok - been calmness personified isn’t always the way to a desired outcome

Honestly thought Wilder was going to start ruering on final whistle, missed that.

He is a very limited manager. Nice chap but limited at the managerial game with his laxk of tactics, in game management, and being able to get players motivated. The continued picking of his favourites and old guard, and the ever lasting ridiculous amounts of injuries are testament to his shortcomings.

I think he more suited to being a football director role as someone who has a calm head I difficult situations and someone who can link in between the manager and a board of directors. He also seems to be Ok at identifying potential decent players in the market. Problem is Hecky thinks he is more a manager and then maybe a coach, but I don't think that is where his real talents lay, and he's probably not really wanting to work in a football director type role. So, a limited football manager he will stay (I have to say I don't think he was being helped by Stuart McCall or Mark Hudson as ive never really rated either im a coaching capacity as they are also failed managers).

I do genuinely have gratitude towards PH for helping the club in a very difficult period and for that he has my thanks. But I always thought he was limited and the promotion achieved last season because we had an exceptional player rather than any great game plan being implemented by the manager. I can see him rocking up at a league 1 club sooner rather than later. He might (hopefully) then come in and take Norwood, Fleck and Osborn off our hands....
"I ran into one of the medical team who I know on Thursday, said what a difference we closed people down rushed them it was like old times. The reply was well the new defence coach we had was new FA school. So as soon as the oppo got the ball you had to fall back to the edge of the area in your set position, that’s not the worst bit, in training you were given an area that was yours if the oppo came in you faced them up, YOU DO NOT COME OUT OF YOU AREA, so this explains how many times this season we have seen forwards run between two defenders and score. He said our boys were looking at each other thinking is he in my area or yours!!!! Monday morning the deference coach would get the players together with a list of how many times they had left their area, and they got a right Bxxxxxxxxg no that was a good interception, good tackle all about the blood patrol areas which is what he call them,
Thank god he’s gone, explains a lot though"

Post on social media. If there is an element of truth in this then PH should give Hudson a wide berth the next time he's looking for a coaching team to help him. It may also go some way to explaining why the strong defence of last season turned into this seasons car crash.

I was wondering yesterday, if Heckys watched that game, what’s he thinking?

Why didn’t they play like that for me?

Why couldn’t I get them to play like that?

Why do Slimane & Brooks look good?

Set of cunts

Hopefully he will look on and realise you have to change/try things and every now and then it’s ok to not be ok - been calmness personified isn’t always the way to a desired outcome

Honestly thought Wilder was going to start ruering on final whistle, missed that.

You could argue Wilder himself might be having similar thoughts about a few of the old guard who he signed. The immediate dropping of Fleck and Norwood from the squad setting the tone I think. I know we have injuries and suspensions but look at the squad yesterday and not many of his signings among them.

He's shown that he can do very well when he has an above average squad. I imagine he'll be a prime candidate for any Championship team with a high calibre squad.

Agree with nearly all of the OP

I can't believe he got us up tbh, even with the squad

He leaves with an improved reputation, but I'm not sure he'll leave with too much of a changed view of how he sees himself in the game

It's very possible he'll return to the sort of role he had here before taking the managers job

If he wants to continue managing, mid table championship will be his ceiling. He'd be fine to stabilise a club like Stoke and keep them out of trouble. Huddersfield might be a good shout

If they played like cunts deliberately they want fucking shooting.

Agree with nearly all of the OP

I can't believe he got us up tbh, even with the squad

He leaves with an improved reputation, but I'm not sure he'll leave with too much of a changed view of how he sees himself in the game

It's very possible he'll return to the sort of role he had here before taking the managers job

If he wants to continue managing, mid table championship will be his ceiling. He'd be fine to stabilise a club like Stoke and keep them out of trouble. Huddersfield might be a good shout
Not sure a club like Huddersfield or Stoke would benefit from him. They need a motivator, their own Chris Wilder, who has passion for the club.

Not really sure what club would benefit from him. We would never have chosen him if he wasn’t already at the club and as a manager he doesn’t have any strong identifiable attributes, or playing style, that would attract a new club, apart from able to navigate with dignity and stabilise a club with an owner that obviously wants out.
We owe him a lot of thanks for what he’s done and certainly shouldn’t be disrespected but it was obvious a few games ago that his time was up and that he should leave. Understandably, he wanted his pay off, which he has now got.
Good luck to him but if he wants a future at the higher levels then it will be as a coach

"I ran into one of the medical team who I know on Thursday, said what a difference we closed people down rushed them it was like old times. The reply was well the new defence coach we had was new FA school. So as soon as the oppo got the ball you had to fall back to the edge of the area in your set position, that’s not the worst bit, in training you were given an area that was yours if the oppo came in you faced them up, YOU DO NOT COME OUT OF YOU AREA, so this explains how many times this season we have seen forwards run between two defenders and score. He said our boys were looking at each other thinking is he in my area or yours!!!! Monday morning the deference coach would get the players together with a list of how many times they had left their area, and they got a right Bxxxxxxxxg no that was a good interception, good tackle all about the blood patrol areas which is what he call them,
Thank god he’s gone, explains a lot though"

Post on social media. If there is an element of truth in this then PH should give Hudson a wide berth the next time he's looking for a coaching team to help him. It may also go some way to explaining why the strong defence of last season turned into this seasons car crash.
If Hecky so willingly and deliberately changed our fundamental defensive approach despite our defence being our main strength last season, and the one thing we could pretty much rely on, then he's far more stupid than I thought, and deserves everything he's got this season

A club could do worse than appointing him to their youth coaching set up, I think that’s his best role.

He probably gets a struggling Championship club job next time however and fails.

It's all well and good saying we should've got promoted with our squad, but there's plenty of former managers over the last 20 years of this clubs history that would've failed to do so and get to an FA Cup semi final to boot.

Robson
Blackwell
Speed
Adams
Clough
Adkins
Slav

All would've fucked it up. Hecky isn't an elite manager, but he's better than most we've had. Probably a similar standard to Danny Wilson

Not sure a club like Huddersfield or Stoke would benefit from him. They need a motivator, their own Chris Wilder, who has passion for the club.

Interesting to see what happens at Norwich

Got some decent players, fairly patient fans and board, happy to get relegated and apart from Ipswich no one really gives a fuck what’s happening there - could be just his barra’

It's all well and good saying we should've got promoted with our squad, but there's plenty of former managers over the last 20 years of this clubs history that would've failed to do so and get to an FA Cup semi final to boot.

Robson
Blackwell
Speed
Adams
Clough
Adkins
Slav

All would've fucked it up. Hecky isn't an elite manager, but he's better than most we've had. Probably a similar standard to Danny Wilson
Agree with all this except the Wilson love. Wasn't a fan of him either.

Can't believe what a bunch of revisionist bullshit being spouted here...

Wilder wins one game and all of a sudden Heckinbottom is 'unemployable'. Let's conveniently forget the season he took over and got us to the play-offs, followed by promotion with 91 points and an FA Cup final... What a bunch of moaning old women you lot are....

We really don't deserve nice things do we.

Before we appointed him no other Championship club would’ve considered him. His previous permanent job had been Hibernian where he’d been sacked. In that sense he fell lucky that was already with us and was a quick, cheap option.

However, he took us from the lower end of the Championship to a penalty shoot-out away from a play-off final, before following it up with automatic promotion and an FA Cup semi final appearance. You can’t take that away from him.

People can argue that he should’ve done it with the squad, but football has never been that simple.

I think his stock will have risen enough to get another job in the Championship. Maybe not a club expecting to challenge for promotion, but definitely mid-table and below.

I can’t see it being anytime soon though. He’ll have his pay-off from us and probably wants a break.
I think all he did was instill a bit of belief in his first half season. Coupled with the fact he had a decent team.
Said to my son after we got promoted and he asked why aren’t you as happy as last time?
I said the football has been boring, yes we win matches but the whole set up is wrong.

If we didn’t have players that could unlock the door as you say we were shite most matches and ground out results.

Wilder alluded to that….result over performance. Results game and all that but I’ve enjoyed the last two games.
UTB ⚔️

Back
Top Bottom