What Wilder brought to the Team!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony Currie

Reaction score
A lot better performance against a top team. Wilder brought his own stamp after just one training session.

These are the little tweaks I saw please add your own :-

1) All the Players worked hard for the manager.
2) Players looked like they knew what their role was (Souza, Anel, Hamer, Trusty, McAtee).
3) Defenders kicked the ball out if in doubt.
4) Played much less long ball.
5) Attacking formation at home.
6) Midfield wasn't over run (well played Brookes).
7) Each player subbed off by Wilder got a hug and a little word from Wilder (brilliant man management)

I'll not make out for a second I was all for his return. Personally I didn't want him back and the jury is still out on his appointment. 1 game does not a successful make.

However. It's immediately clear to see his return has changed the atmosphere and connection in the squad and despite being apprehensive about him I don't want him to fail. He's here so I'll give him his chance and my support. If he drags this team to some sort of fighting shape where we're picking points up here and there and actually putting in some effort then I'll happily admit I was wrong.

Seemingly made a good start, fair play to the guy.

How long has Wilder known he was due to take over. He’s obviously been watching us very closely. He knew after 1 day of training:
1) Norwood needed dropping
2) Fleck needed dropping
3) Thomas needed dropping
4) McAtee had to start
5) Souza had to start in the correct position
6) Archer needed support up front
7) Brooks needed an opportunity ( I said this last Saturday!)
8) We had to play 4 at the back
There’s probably more. You don’t learn this from 1 day training. Strange thing is most supporters have been saying most of the above for weeks if not months. Strange our previous manager didn’t work it out too.
Think I just worked it out; Wilder is a supporter 😀

Just watched post match interview. Liked Hecky, love Sir Chris

Captain Angry is very driven....takes no prisoners.....the players (and the club) seem different already.

I like how Wilder has got the message across to the players to relax, enjoy your football and not to worry too much about results.
We are expected to be relegated anyway however the focus is on performances.

They must now have the right mentality and perform every single match, doing their jobs giving 100%.
Even if we lose, as long as they give their best......then I'm satisfied.....no issues.

Captain Angry is very driven....takes no prisoners.....the players (and the club) seem different already.

I like how Wilder has got the message across to the players to relax, enjoy your football and not to worry too much about results.
We are expected to be relegated anyway however the focus is on performances.

They must now have the right mentality and perform every single match, doing their jobs giving 100%.
Even if we lose, as long as they give their best......then I'm satisfied.....no issues.
Hes sheffield through and through. Yes, it’s a gamble. Every appointment is. However I hope his emotions don’t get the better of him in interviews down the line

Does anybody have the video of the warm welcome Sir Chris received at the start of the game ( the one spoke about in his post match interview ) Couldn’t make it tonight due to work. UTB

Those saying the players weren't good enough to play in the EPL and we should accept our lot and slumber towards relegation got their answer last night. Conditioning, coaching, a lack of a visible system of play and players being shoe horned into positions they were not familiar with were the problem.

The quality of the coaching shone through in just one game with limited preparation time. CW always preferred balance. He does like lefties and having left footed Brooks in midfield enabled us to play down both flanks not just the right hand side. We moved forward in midfield when in possession of the ball. Had players prepared to run with it. Had options to pass to as the team were 10 yards further up the pitch, when in possession, than they have been all season. We pressed as a result and were winning our fair share of second balls. Again a marked improvement from what had gone before.

There were downsides. Our inability to deal with the oppos big units at set pieces continues and cost us. Using JLT to mark the biggest unit doesn't work as he is outmuscled causing him to hold the player and increases the possibility of a penalty being awarded against us. We didn't really have an effective bench due to the injury list and finished with a team of munchkins. Yet this was a performance light years away from any other this season. Very little hoof and backwards passing more of a front foot attitude which is to be applauded.

Wasn't sure about CW coming back but knew getting Knill and Prestridge through the door would improve tactics, conditioning and injury management. Good start for the manager but he's correct when he says the improvements have to be carried over to the next game.

How long has Wilder known he was due to take over. He’s obviously been watching us very closely. He knew after 1 day of training:
1) Norwood needed dropping
2) Fleck needed dropping
3) Thomas needed dropping
4) McAtee had to start
5) Souza had to start in the correct position
6) Archer needed support up front
7) Brooks needed an opportunity ( I said this last Saturday!)
8) We had to play 4 at the back
There’s probably more. You don’t learn this from 1 day training. Strange thing is most supporters have been saying most of the above for weeks if not months. Strange our previous manager didn’t work it out too.
Think I just worked it out; Wilder is a supporter 😀
1-6 I’ve been harping on about wishing Hecky could see what we all saw
Unfortunately after financially saving the club he just wasn’t cut out for Prem management ( like Uncle Col ) and failed tactically and motivation wise to get players up for it
7-8 not in a position to say

The main things:

1) Has seen through our left wing backs. Preferred an unfit Lowe to the new options when bringing players on (that says it all). I expect recruitment here. At the latest before the start of next season.

2) Is getting a good look at Brooks and Osula before next season. Others to come?

3) Knows Norwood and Souza don't fit into one midfield.

4) Has changed the shape to counter our lack of legs in the middle of the park. This was Hecky's biggest mistake imo

5) Has simplified the full back and midfield roles.

6) Subs were made earlier than Hecky's which stopped us getting overrun second half. This was key to us staying in the game imo.

7) Has the players playing for him already and the match day crowd bang behind him. Naysayers were in short supply last night. The galvanising effect was immediate

Reactions: Boo
I can't say I wanted CW back the way he left didn't sit right with me and neither does the way he has returned, to me this has all been planned out behind a decent blokes back.
We can't change how the Prince works so we have to get behind the new management team. CW has made a good start but like he says he still has work to do to wipe the slate clean for some. Good luck to him if he does keep us up he will truly have worked a miracle.

Those saying the players weren't good enough to play in the EPL and we should accept our lot and slumber towards relegation got their answer last night. Conditioning, coaching, a lack of a visible system of play and players being shoe horned into positions they were not familiar with were the problem.

The quality of the coaching shone through in just one game with limited preparation time. CW always preferred balance. He does like lefties and having left footed Brooks in midfield enabled us to play down both flanks not just the right hand side. We moved forward in midfield when in possession of the ball. Had players prepared to run with it. Had options to pass to as the team were 10 yards further up the pitch, when in possession, than they have been all season. We pressed as a result and were winning our fair share of second balls. Again a marked improvement from what had gone before.

There were downsides. Our inability to deal with the oppos big units at set pieces continues and cost us. Using JLT to mark the biggest unit doesn't work as he is outmuscled causing him to hold the player and increases the possibility of a penalty being awarded against us. We didn't really have an effective bench due to the injury list and finished with a team of munchkins. Yet this was a performance light years away from any other this season. Very little hoof and backwards passing more of a front foot attitude which is to be applauded.

Wasn't sure about CW coming back but knew getting Knill and Prestridge through the door would improve tactics, conditioning and injury management. Good start for the manager but he's correct when he says the improvements have to be carried over to the next game.
I have been concerned that most of our players are not good enough to compete in the PL and I still am.
Yes we saw a better performance and more effort, but did we see better finishing, quality balls played through to the strikers (except for one from McAtee to Archer) or anyone run usefully at the opposition? No.
However it is one match and against to PL players so I will be happy to change my mind if over the next 10 matches we achieve the above.
Saturday will perhaps give a better idea of where we fit in this league.

A lot better performance against a top team. Wilder brought his own stamp after just one training session.

These are the little tweaks I saw please add your own :-

1) All the Players worked hard for the manager.
2) Players looked like they knew what their role was (Souza, Anel, Hamer, Trusty, McAtee).
3) Defenders kicked the ball out if in doubt.
4) Played much less long ball.
5) Attacking formation at home.
6) Midfield wasn't over run (well played Brookes).
7) Each player subbed off by Wilder got a hug and a little word from Wilder (brilliant man management)
Thanks for that. Not been but that sounds so encouraging. Cheers

UTB

Back
Top Bottom