What we never replaced

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The difference this time is we have Ndiaye

We don't need the pacy outlet of a CF as much as we did last time

But it would be a very nice bonus

Most likely is that player will be Jebbison, and any additional pace we sign will be in the attacking midfield position

Most likely is that player will be Jebbison, and any additional pace we sign will be in the attacking midfield position
Disagree, N’Diaye is a dream upgrade on Mcgoldrick. Our best front two that season was Moose and N’Diaye

We are not going to boss midfield against many teams in the PL and I expect us to play similar the first half v Man City in Cup. Sit back and try counter attacks with pace. Jebbo looks like he will become exactly the type of player we need for that role however he is not that player yet. Probably 2 years away at least.

Disagree, N’Diaye is a dream upgrade on Mcgoldrick. Our best front two that season was Moose and N’Diaye
Yes, but Ndiaye is of such a level that he can provide much of that outlet factor without needing that same level of athleticism that peak Mousset had

If we do want a more direct replacement for that pace though, three from the bundesliga worth considering are Karim Onisiwo, Dodi Lukebakio and Ilhas Bebou

Bang on. Look to our victory over Tottenham.

Wilder never tried to adapt or change the tactics.

Hecky, once he put an attacking midfielder in the 3 actually managed to pick up a result or two. No reason to think it’s a complete broken flush at PL level or it wouldn’t be sustainable.

About half the mangers will be different this time round. We’ll have Anel who can provide a bit of what JOC did. And Ndaiye is at least as good as prime Mousset - so we should still have some attacking creativity.

And If we sign some midfielders, no reason to think that won’t be better than lundstram et al. too.
Ndiaye is 10 times the player 'prime ' Mousset was,he's not fit to lace his boots,Jesus that's embarrassing, Ndiaye will go down in history, Mark my words

The biggest issue was the lack of an adequate overlapping left centre back. The brilliance of that system is that there is no solution to it. We stopped doing it sans JOC. Managers tried 4-3-3,matching us up, and many ad hoc solutions for three years and they never worked. Even when we didn't win we dominated unless we played top sides in the Prem who recycle the ball incredibly well. Even then they struggled to create and penetrate. We got though the first press due to the the wide centre backs, created forward over loads, and got back in our shape out of possession easily Outnumbering the opponent in key areas both in and out of possession. If we had better personnel we'd have been unstoppable.

After JOC's injury we played an orthodox 3-5-2 which highlighted the technical and physical limitations of our players.The squad was built in such a way that we couldn't go 4-3-3/4-5-1 which is the obvious move for any club near the bottom of the Prem. Heckingbottom did tbf, but he was relying on Osborn and Jebbison. It's happened this season albeit to a lesser extent since the injury to RND. It'll be interesting to see if we bring wide players in now and what we do about LCB.

What Moose did do is stretch the game giving more space to the midfielders and overloading centre backs. This meant we already stretched the width of the pitch better than anyone, and now could stretch the length too. I doubt we'll ever the see something as tactically brilliant again. The big mistake was having no JOC replacement.

Last edited:
Do people seriously think that it took premierleague opposition a full season to work out our formation ?
Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds ?
These football clubs have small army's of coaching staff and analysts scouring over every available piece of data or video on every opponents strengths and weaknesses but they couldn't work out a system that Keith Andrews and Benjamin bloom could explain in very simple terms after watching us a couple of times

Have a day off lads
I think it’s less working out the system and more putting into place a strategy to counter it. It was so unusual and unorthodox that an opposition manager couldn’t just tell his players what to do and they’d be able to immediately do it for two matches out of 38.

I agree that the loss of JOC for us rendered that tactic a bit useless though as we didn’t have the personnel to replace him and what he brought to the system.

I think it’s less working out the system and more putting into place a strategy to counter it. It was so unusual and unorthodox that an opposition manager couldn’t just tell his players what to do and they’d be able to immediately do it for two matches out of 38.

I agree that the loss of JOC for us rendered that tactic a bit useless though as we didn’t have the personnel to replace him and what he brought to the system.
We didn't use the overlapping full backs or rotate the wing backs at all during the covid season we were a basic 5-3-2 with a slow one paced team no o' Connel and no crowds and a players like lundstram who had downed tools

We didn't use the overlapping full backs or rotate the wing backs at all during the covid season we were a basic 5-3-2 with a slow one paced team no o' Connel and no crowds and a players like lundstram who had downed tools

My abiding memory of the Covid season is us attacking down the right (because the left didn't exist), and the ball ending up with Lundstram who'd either give it away or turn around to pass back into his own half.

My abiding memory of the Covid season is us attacking down the right (because the left didn't exist), and the ball ending up with Lundstram who'd either give it away or turn around to pass back into his own half.
Mine too
Got sick of seeing his fat arse turn back towards his own goal under no pressure whatsoever

Ndiaye is 10 times the player 'prime ' Mousset was,he's not fit to lace his boots,Jesus that's embarrassing, Ndiaye will go down in history, Mark my words
I don't think they're comparable. Ndiaye is so skillful and sublime to watch - I enjoy watching him in a similar way that I enjoyed watching David Brooks. Mousset for a while was perhaps the most powerful striker I can recall us having. Defenders were petrified of him and could not keep him shackled. I think we need someone with those qualities to complement Ndiaye.

The main factor in the 9th placed finish was JOC and what he offered going forward (as part of the attack down the left) and defensively. Imo that was the biggest difference to the following season.
But all the pundits said it was ‘SeCoNd SeAsOn SyNdRoMe’ - get it right 😉

Agree re Moose, for that part of the season, he won us 3 points at Everton, terrorised Man U and built confidence in the rest of the team. I can't see Jebbo or Osula filling that void yet. I liked the look of Adebayo at Luton but that won't happen now so I'm not expecting anyone similar to come in unless there's some hidden gem somewhere.
When Mousset could be bothered, he was easily the best player we had in our Premier league purple patch.

The biggest issue was the lack of an adequate overlapping left centre back. The brilliance of that system is that there is no solution to it. We stopped doing it sans JOC.

What Moose did do is stretch the game giving more space to the midfielders and overloading centre backs. This meant we already stretched the width of the pitch better than anyone, and now could stretch the length too. I doubt we'll ever the see something as tactically brilliant again. The big mistake was having no JOC replacement.
Spot on, it was too easy to defend against us. Teams soon learnt that our only threat was down our right hand side.
To a certain extent it has been the same this season, at times our attacking threat down the left was non existent.
In all the years that I've watched football I don't think that I have seen the style of play change so much as it has done in the last 5 years.
I wonder for how much longer teams will insist on playing it out from the back?

Why have no EPL other teams announced their transfer budget in mainstream media like we have?
Because it’s our transfer strategy..plan is make everyone think we have £20m despite it being public knowledge the PL payments are close to 10X that then when we knock on the door and get told £30m or fuck off we can reply “But sir av only got buttons” nailed on to work I tell ya

I don't think they're comparable. Ndiaye is so skillful and sublime to watch - I enjoy watching him in a similar way that I enjoyed watching David Brooks. Mousset for a while was perhaps the most powerful striker I can recall us having. Defenders were petrified of him and could not keep him shackled. I think we need someone with those qualities to complement Ndiaye.

Yes, we desperately need the player that Jebbo is going to be in 3 years time.

Do people seriously think that it took premierleague opposition a full season to work out our formation ?
Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds ?
These football clubs have small army's of coaching staff and analysts scouring over every available piece of data or video on every opponents strengths and weaknesses but they couldn't work out a system that Keith Andrews and Benjamin bloom could explain in very simple terms after watching us a couple of times

Have a day off lads
It didn’t take a full season. It took until covid, after which our form was bang average.

Explaining how something works is different to stopping it. I’d like to see Bloom and Andrews out there at full back wondering how the fuck you stop an opposition centre half who’s about 60 yards further forward than he should be :)

It didn’t take a full season. It took until covid, after which our form was bang average.

Explaining how something works is different to stopping it. I’d like to see Bloom and Andrews out there at full back wondering how the fuck you stop an opposition centre half who’s about 60 yards further forward than he should be :)
It looked to me like we just stopped doing it

We reverted to a flat back 5 as wilder became more and more cautious and afraid to take risks

Back
Top Bottom