What the fig?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade

Reaction score
This is ridiculous, I'm now starting to develop the belief that Blackwell may no longer want the role but just doesn't want to resign.

Why doesn't he just shut up? This article is fricking ridiculous...

From the OS:

-------------
Posh - or Kettering?
Posted on: Fri 20 Nov 2009

Kevin Blackwell has taken an unusual approach in his preparations for the Championship encounter with Peterborough.

Bottom of the table Posh have used the international break to dispose of the services of Darren Ferguson, and have appointed former Kettering Town chief Mark Cooper as manager at London Road.

"What we have had to do this week is understand how Kettering have been playing to get into the mindset of the manager - we've been analysing Kettering," said Blackwell.

"We know that they send the ball long, work on set plays and use the long throws and Kettering have been good at it.

"It isn't certain but is something we have to be aware of - on the other hand their manager might send them out to carry on in the style they used before he came in.

"Any manager will tell you that you'd rather play against a team who are about to lose their manager rather than getting a new one in and that's the case here.

"Peterborough have some good players, the likes of McLean, Mackail-Smith and Boyd have attracted us and their lads will be trying to prove a point and impress."
---------

that second to last comment about any team would prefer to play against a team ABOUT to lose its manager...lets hope thats right eh Kev?

you do get the impression we worry about the opposition too much but I can't say that scouting the gameplan of the opposition is an entirely bad thing.

I'd rather us go out and play our own game but there's nowt wrong with knowing what you're likely to be up against.

"Any manager will tell you that you'd rather play against a team who are about to lose their manager rather than getting a new one in and that's the case here.

---------

i think he's refering to if we'd played them before DF left. unfortunately

"We know that they send the ball long, work on set plays and use the long throws and Kettering have been good at it.

No worries then, we'll just pass our way through.

Though in fairness to KB, it does seem he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't with every public utterance.

madness ,absoloute madness

doing your homework on your next opponents ???? wtf ? isnt that cheating ?

No worries then, we'll just pass our way through.

Though in fairness to KB, it does seem he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't with every public utterance.

I think he's got himself in that situation by talking shite quite a lot.

Let's face it, even Houso doesn't believe a word coming out of the club at the moment and he thinks the moon's made of cheese.

I don't see the problem if I'm honest.

Seeing how both teams have played is perfectly plausible and a decent idea. But it is also an idea that should be done without even talking about it.
For me I can't see a direct change in football from the previous regime so early in the day, I believe Posh will come to play football and hit us on the break. If they've done their homework they will know to stifle us in the first 20 mins and get the crowd on the players' backs.

I don't see why he needed to tell us all this except for the reason he is just trying to make out what a good manager he is by scouting both sides of it all.

I don't see the problem if I'm honest.

Seeing how both teams have played is perfectly plausible and a decent idea. But it is also an idea that should be done without even talking about it.
For me I can't see a direct change in football from the previous regime so early in the day, I believe Posh will come to play football and hit us on the break. If they've done their homework they will know to stifle us in the first 20 mins and get the crowd on the players' backs.

I don't see why he needed to tell us all this except for the reason he is just trying to make out what a good manager he is by scouting both sides of it all.
i cant wait till saturday :confused:

This is ridiculous, I'm now starting to develop the belief that Blackwell may no longer want the role but just doesn't want to resign.

From the OS:

-------------
Posh - or Kettering?

Kevin Blackwell has taken an unusual approach in his preparations for the Championship encounter with Peterborough.

Bottom of the table Posh have used the international break to dispose of the services of Darren Ferguson, and have appointed former Kettering Town chief Mark Cooper as manager at London Road.

"What we have had to do this week is understand how Kettering have been playing to get into the mindset of the manager - we've been analysing Kettering," said Blackwell.

"It isn't certain but is something we have to be aware of - on the other hand their manager might send them out to carry on in the style they used before he came in.

"Peterborough have some good players, the likes of McLean, Mackail-Smith and Boyd have attracted us and their lads will be trying to prove a point and impress."
---------

You`ve knicked that off of Blackadder ......... I fink

Ok, so it's American Football, but could Blackwell learn anything from this?

As Sports Illustrated explained in a recent story, Kevin Kelley, coach of the Pulaski Academy football team in Little Rock, Ark., has called for only a single punt in the past two years. Like a seasoned gambler, Kelley has figured out that punting on fourth and long near your own end zone decreases the odds of the other team's scoring by only a relatively slim amount. So going for it will pay off in the long run: Pulaski won a state championship last year and is in the hunt this year too.

Taken from the best inventions of 2009: http://www.time.com/time/specials/p...1934027_1934003_1933979,00.html#ixzz0XOqf7oRX

I think he's got himself in that situation by talking shite quite a lot.

Let's face it, even Houso doesn't believe a word coming out of the club at the moment and he thinks the moon's made of cheese.

Only if it's in a Milburn lyric or something...

If Peterborough send the ball long then it's going to be up in the air a long time. With the kings of hoofball playing a team who play it long, then it's going to be a real advert for the championship!!! And to think, just a few seasons ago we were winning teams like Arsenal etc etc. I want a 5-0 win tomorrow nowt' else will do! Teddy and pram on standby. :tumbleweed:

it's all a bit desperate imo.. they aren't going to turn into a hoofball outfit in 5 days flat are they?:thumbdown:

'Like a seasoned gambler, Kelley has figured out that punting on fourth and long near your own end zone decreases the odds of the other team's scoring by only a relatively slim amount. So going for it will pay off in the long run: Pulaski won a state championship last year and is in the hunt this year too.'

Thats just a noise.

'Like a seasoned gambler, Kelley has figured out that punting on fourth and long near your own end zone decreases the odds of the other team's scoring by only a relatively slim amount. So going for it will pay off in the long run: Pulaski won a state championship last year and is in the hunt this year too.'

Thats just a noise.
Yep. Not a word. :D

you do get the impression we worry about the opposition too much but I can't say that scouting the gameplan of the opposition is an entirely bad thing.

I'd rather us go out and play our own game but there's nowt wrong with knowing what you're likely to be up against.
Exactly what i was thinking we shouldn't be worrying about Peterborough, especially at home they should worry about us.

"I don't see why he needed to tell us all this except for the reason he is just trying to make out what a good manager he is by scouting both sides of it all."

One of the daft things about modern football, and its need to appease sponsors and the media, is the constant need for press conferences, and particularly quotes from the manager. Blackwell isn't very good at interviews and press conferences and frequently talks rubbish.

How different from when Jimmy Hagan was manager of Benfica. Most of the time he refused to talk to the media and became known as "Mister No Comment". Despite this (or maybe because of it) he's still a legend in Lisbon.

Only if it's in a Milburn lyric or something...

Think you'll find he picked it up from their live version of Cheshire Cat Smile.

Oh how your mind's not on it
Pass me a book and I'll read you a sonnet, girl
Walls go up and guards come down
He's bangin' on the door thinkin' "the moon is made of green cheese".

Never been the same since.

Exactly what i was thinking we shouldn't be worrying about Peterborough, especially at home they should worry about us.

That's true to a certain extent. Our team talk against sides down at the arse-end of the division should be "Get out there and batter these twats."

However in recent years the Sheffield United team talk has seemed to be "Get out there and run around like idiots, look scared, look inept, look like you've never seen each other, Bramall Lane, a football or the outside of the loony bin before. These are shit. Make it really hard for yourselves. That's The Blades Way."

kettering are a completely different team to peterborough with completely different players who have completely different skills, strengths and deficiencies and Cooper has been there absolutely no time whatsoever. I'd say it's unlikely Cooper will have Peterborough playing like Kettering in their first game in such a short amount of time.

I just can't for the life of me work out why he has to do interviews and say shit like this which most fans aren't interested in or wouldn't want to hear. Who seriously wants to hear we're concentrating on how Kettering play so that we're prepared for an important home game against bottom of the league Peterborough?

We've worried about the opposition for far too long now (pre-dating Blackwell) and now more than ever given the poor home performances we've had to endure this weeks prep should be heavily about how we get things right, how we want to play and how we do them damage.

"We know that they (kettering) send the ball long, work on set plays and use the long throws and Kettering have been good at it."

yes but that's kettering and rarely does a manager join a new club and in a week make a completely different set of players play the same way his old club did. You'd expect peterborough to have better players than kettering or at least different players and most sensible managers would see what kind of style suits their resources rather than making their personnel play against what they're good at just to fit in with their idea. (a la blackwell). The bedding in period and first few games is about getting to know the team and what they can do.

It just seems like absolutely ages since we heard something really positive in the build up to a game - something that made you eager to go down and watch and look forward to it. Recently it's been excuses in the build up, certainly nothing really from Blackwell that makes you think he gives a shit about the general apathy and dissatisfaction amongst what are his paying customers. At least try and build/keep in tact a bond with the vast majority of fans.

that second to last comment about any team would prefer to play against a team ABOUT to lose its manager...lets hope thats right eh Kev?
lamo
and what about when kev says they play long ball and there good at that why aint we then?
:D

From the OS:

-------------
Posh - or Kettering?

---------

ROFL

"Blackwell does his homework" shocker.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom