What side would you pick against Bolton?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LouTheBlade

Reaction score
Bearing in mind the type of opposition we face on saturday and KB wanting to guard against injuries - would you pick the same side that went out against Boro or make some changes and rest players?

Keeping the core of the team the same with added muscle muscle in there I would go with the following;

(4-5-1 / 4-3-3)

Bunn
Walker
Morgan
Seip
Stewart (in for Taylor)
Ward (in for Williamson)
Harper
Montgomery
Quinn
Cresswell
Henderson (in for Evans)

I would play Stewart because Taylor will get bullied against a physical side. A five man midfield with Ward and Creswell pushing to support Henderson from the flanks will give us an extra bod in midfield but not too defensive. Bolton often flood the middle of the park. I think a four man midfield would get murdered. Willo only misses out because Quinny played well on saturday and is more likely to put a foot in.

I think its got to be ugly against this mob on saturday. Opinions please.....

Bearing in mind the type of opposition we face on saturday and KB wanting to guard against injuries - would you pick the same side that went out against Boro or make some changes and rest players?

Keeping the core of the team the same with added muscle muscle in there I would go with the following;

(4-5-1 / 4-3-3)

Bunn
Walker
Morgan
Seip
Stewart (in for Taylor)
Ward (in for Williamson)
Harper
Montgomery
Quinn
Cresswell
Henderson (in for Evans)

I would play Stewart because Taylor will get bullied against a physical side. A five man midfield with Ward and Creswell pushing to support Henderson from the flanks will give us an extra bod in midfield but not too defensive. Bolton often flood the middle of the park. I think a four man midfield would get murdered. Willo only misses out because Quinny played well on saturday and is more likely to put a foot in.

I think its got to be ugly against this mob on saturday. Opinions please.....

Once again i have to diagree with you Lou :p

Why go back to playing negative 4-5-1 when we have just beat teams playing 4-4-2? Is Henderson fully fit? Why drop Evans when he's just had (arguably) his best 2 games in a United shirt?

My team would be:

--------- Bunn

Walker Morgs Seip Killa

Ward Williamson Harper Quinn

-------- Cresswell Evans

Why go back to playing negative 4-5-1 when we have just beat teams playing 4-4-2? Is Henderson fully fit? Why drop Evans when he's just had (arguably) his best 2 games in a United shirt?

My team would be:

--------- Bunn

Walker Morgs Seip Killa

-------- Cresswell Evans

Spot on - I would have the same.

Its a one off game, just fucking go for it. Cant see anybody being that gutted if we lose while going forward and trying to win - can dream cant we.

Wouldn't it be nice to give Yates a game?

He's cup tied.

I'd go with Ollessendro's team also, it worked well against QPR. It may be better opposition, but we may aswell have a go for it. We don't want the draw, we need to win.

And sometimes, attack is the best form of defence!

My team would be:

--------- Bunn

Walker Morgs Seip Killa

-------- Cresswell Evans

:D Youre entitled ollesendro. The reason I have gone for a 4-5-1 is because on this occasion I feel its appropriate. The type of opposition being a physical team that floods the middle of the pitch. We will need to match them like for like on their own ground. I just fear a four man midfield might get overrun but I have been wrong before.

The trouble is a lot of supporters see a team playing 4-5-1 and immediately label it negative. Sometimes games call for it and its up to the manager to use it at the right time. We all think we know better but there is a reason we arent the manager ;)

I cant see any reason why Henderson wouldnt be fit. Hes a beast and has come on twice as sub now so must be about ready. No offence to Evans and Cresswell but that partnership wont get any joy out of their rugby league back four. We need the big man up there. Its not about being negative IMO, I just think that approach will give us the best chance of winning the game. If we go there and win with 4-4-2 even better and I got this one wrong.

:D Youre entitled ollesendro. The reason I have gone for a 4-5-1 is because on this occasion I feel its appropriate. The type of opposition being a physical team that floods the middle of the pitch. We will need to match them like for like on their own ground. I just fear a four man midfield might get overrun but I have been wrong before.

The trouble is a lot of supporters see a team playing 4-5-1 and immediately label it negative. Sometimes games call for it and its up to the manager to use it at the right time. We all think we know better but there is a reason we arent the manager ;)

I cant see any reason why Henderson wouldnt be fit. Hes a beast and has come on twice as sub now so must be about ready. No offence to Evans and Cresswell but that partnership wont get any joy out of their rugby league back four. We need the big man up there. Its not about being negative IMO, I just think that approach will give us the best chance of winning the game. If we go there and win with 4-4-2 even better and I got this one wrong.

I think we ahve the momentum though Lou. We've lost 1 in the last 12 and won the last 2 playing 4-4-2. Make no mistake Bolton are shit and they are there for the taking. I know they are in the Prem, but why not play to our strenghts and not worry about the opposition. I think we get much more joy when we play to our strengths and don'tr worry about the oppositions!

I am a big fan of Henderson, but aren't we playing into their hads if we play him. The 'rugy league' back 4 will batter him and probably get free kicks in their favour. With players like Evans, Haprer, Ward, Quinn and Williamson we could play a bot of football and beat them. They are the kings of the ugly game and I think if we play 4--5-1 with Monty and Hendo we'll play right into their hands.

Bunn
Naughton
Morgan
Seip
Naysmith
Walker
Harper
Willo
Quinny
Ched
Cresswell

Let's get a cup run going to build some confidence. Due to injuries most of them can hardly claim burn out and none are going to the world cup.

agree with the later, not with the team fla bob. naysmith as had a knock in training'again'.get killa back in for that 1.

I think we ahve the momentum though Lou. We've lost 1 in the last 12 and won the last 2 playing 4-4-2. Make no mistake Bolton are shit and they are there for the taking. I know they are in the Prem, but why not play to our strenghts and not worry about the opposition. I think we get much more joy when we play to our strengths and don'tr worry about the oppositions!

I am a big fan of Henderson, but aren't we playing into their hads if we play him. The 'rugy league' back 4 will batter him and probably get free kicks in their favour. With players like Evans, Haprer, Ward, Quinn and Williamson we could play a bot of football and beat them. They are the kings of the ugly game and I think if we play 4--5-1 with Monty and Hendo we'll play right into their hands.

I see where youre coming from olle and you might well be spot on. I have a feeling KB will go with something closer to your lineup than mine but its just what I would do. I look at the way Bolton shape up, the way they pass the ball (if at all) and that from memory, its been a while since ive been but the Reebok is a big pitch. Apparently they set it out that way to gain an advantage by playing 5 in midfield.

If we play enough football we could certainly go with 4 in midfield and win the game but it would mean a lot of heavy running - so if we accept we're going to play 4 I would go with Ward, Harper, Monty, Quinn. I think Willo is a great player but on a pitch like that against a team playing hoofball I would start with Monty because he covers a lot of ground - plus I dont see how we can drop Harper as he was superb against Boro. You could, I suppose play Willo rather than Ward but I dont think Willo looks comfortable on the flank.

Hendo has to play for me, if he doesnt we will find their back four winning everything in the air and if that happens it doesnt matter what midfield we select - the ball will just keep going over them.

I see where youre coming from olle and you might well be spot on. I have a feeling KB will go with something closer to your lineup than mine but its just what I would do. I look at the way Bolton shape up, the way they pass the ball (if at all) and that from memory, its been a while since ive been but the Reebok is a big pitch. Apparently they set it out that way to gain an advantage by playing 5 in midfield.

If we play enough football we could certainly go with 4 in midfield and win the game but it would mean a lot of heavy running - so if we accept we're going to play 4 I would go with Ward, Harper, Monty, Quinn. I think Willo is a great player but on a pitch like that against a team playing hoofball I would start with Monty because he covers a lot of ground - plus I dont see how we can drop Harper as he was superb against Boro. You could, I suppose play Willo rather than Ward but I dont think Willo looks comfortable on the flank.

Hendo has to play for me, if he doesnt we will find their back four winning everything in the air and if that happens it doesnt matter what midfield we select - the ball will just keep going over them.

I think the point against a team like these is that we dont play balls up in the air towards their back 4, or they will have the easiest 90 mins of their life, winning most headers or getting fouled by Hendo.

For me we should try our best to get the ball down and play, they do fill the midfield so we need to be getting the ball out wide to try and get behind their big back 4, they wont like heading the ball as much if its back towards their own goal.

Quick & skillfull is the way forward.

It's a tough one, lots of players in midfield and attack who i'm loathed to leave out

GK Bunn
LB Geary
CB Morgan
CB Siep
RB Walker
LM Quinny
CM Monty
CM Harper
RM Ward
CF Evans
CF Henderson

No slight on Cresswell whatsoever but with his age and injury record and the amount of games he's played I think he could do with a rest. Evans needs to play every game in the hope he scores and goes on an amazing run and it'll be good to give Henderson some match time after being out for a month.

Same team as Saturday except Williamson instead of Monty in the middle so we can out football them and Ward in on the right.

They are big and strong so lumping it simply won't work and Coyle having seen us do it 3 times last season would expect nothing else (as I don't sadly).

Same team as Saturday except Williamson instead of Monty in the middle so we can out football them and Ward in on the right.

They are big and strong so lumping it simply won't work and Coyle having seen us do it 3 times last season would expect nothing else (as I don't sadly).

As mentioned on the other thread, I think Coyle has enough of his own concerns at the moment without worrying too much about us.

Bunn
Walker, Siep, Morgs, Taylor
Ward, Willo, Harper, Squinny
Cressy/Hendo, Ched

for me although the chances of a) Monty being left out and b) 2 up front are pretty slim

for me although the chances of a) Monty being left out and b) 2 up front are pretty slim

I won't be there because b) is his standard negative response to being away from home. However, he played 2 up front at QPR (he may have noticed we went 3-0 up you never know) and I'm sure he won't want a replay so he may actually go for the win. Here's hoping.

I think the point against a team like these is that we dont play balls up in the air towards their back 4, or they will have the easiest 90 mins of their life, winning most headers or getting fouled by Hendo.

For me we should try our best to get the ball down and play, they do fill the midfield so we need to be getting the ball out wide to try and get behind their big back 4, they wont like heading the ball as much if its back towards their own goal.

Playing 5 in midfield with henderson up front doesnt necessarily mean banging it long - this is the point I am trying to get across.

Yes - KB has often used Hendo as a focal point to play direct but that isnt always the case and im sick of people saying it is. Darius takes flack for the manager's approach at times. He is a much better footballer than he is given credit for and he has scored plenty of well taken goals. He scored with two beautifully executed strikes at Bristol City!

His hold up play is the best in the Championship and his lay off work is very good as well. Rarely hits a bad pass.

amen!

This will be the case. I really hope thta KB has learnt from being out foxed 3 times by Coyle. Lumping it up front will just not do.

Playing 5 in midfield with henderson up front doesnt necessarily mean banging it long - this is the point I am trying to get across.

Unfortunately Lou it does!? If you or I were manager then maybe it wouldn't, but under Blackwell it does.

Yes - KB has often used Hendo as a focal point to play direct but that isnt always the case and im sick of people saying it is. Darius takes flack for the manager's approach at times. He is a much better footballer than he is given credit for and he has scored plenty of well taken goals. He scored with two beautifully executed strikes at Bristol City!

His hold up play is the best in the Championship and his lay off work is very good as well. Rarely hits a bad pass.

I agree that we don't do it all the time but we certainly do it a great deal more when he's playing as punting a long ball up to him is the easy option. Naysmith did the co-commentary for a game on RS earlier in the season and admitted as much. KB has also said recently that we are 'forced' to play it to feet more when Camara plays which kind of backs up the point.

I'd love to see Darius running on to crosses from either flank or flicking it on to the likes of Chedders but, and as with many strikers before him in recent times, he tends to get the ball played throat high with his back to goal 30 yards out. It's not so much a fault of his but seemingly the tactics, or decisions of the players / management.

I want to see us reach a major final before I die, so apart from Kilgallon, I would play what I consider to be our strongest team:-

Bunn
Walker Morgan Seip Stewart
Ward Montgomery Harper Creswell
Henderson Camara
Subs:- Bennett, Geary, Taylor, Williamson, Little, Quinn, Evans

Back
Top Bottom