What now?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Trevor Birch confirmed in yesterday's programme that investment from Malaysia now looks unlikely. He's off to India and China this week but I think it would be a surprise to everyone if something turned up.

Might that not be more to do with the World Cup bid? Sheffield FC are on tour there next week as well, for that reason.

Has Birch actually done anything worthwhile yet? He must be on a very big salary and we pay for him to jet all over the place. I've heard him speak a few times and have been shocked at how poorly he comes across. I can't imagine him convincing/persuading any potential investors.

Might that not be more to do with the World Cup bid? Sheffield FC are on tour there next week as well, for that reason.

World Cup bid wasn't mentioned in the article, but Birch did say:

"On the investment front I am continuing to scour the globe for potential investors. Although we are still in contact with the Malaysian group it would seem unlikely that they will now conclude the sponsorship / investment as originally envisaged.

The downturn in the world economy continues to cause problems, but I remain convinced that Asia is the most likely source of funds for investment and I expect to spend more time in China and India over the next few weeks. Although UK football continues to enjoy great popularity in that area of the World, we are not alone from these shores in seeking investment.

We do, however, stand out from the crowd with our business model and international connections and I am sure, ultimately, this will stand us in good stead."

World Cup bid wasn't mentioned in the article, but Birch did say:

"On the investment front I am continuing to scour the globe for potential investors. Although we are still in contact with the Malaysian group it would seem unlikely that they will now conclude the sponsorship / investment as originally envisaged.

The downturn in the world economy continues to cause problems, but I remain convinced that Asia is the most likely source of funds for investment and I expect to spend more time in China and India over the next few weeks. Although UK football continues to enjoy great popularity in that area of the World, we are not alone from these shores in seeking investment.

We do, however, stand out from the crowd with our business model and international connections and I am sure, ultimately, this will stand us in good stead."

A business model that's created £50m of debt and a team gearing up for relegation to the third tier of English football.
Talk about treating the club's fans with contempt.
Mr Birch, we're not all idiots.
And let's have less of the kind of pathetic investment statements we had the other week which indicated you were going down the S6 bullshit road.

Does getting investment from China ,India ,Malaysia or any other far flung destination supposed to impress anyone. Who gives a flying Birch where the bleeding investment comes from (Scarborough would be a start) ,we are starting to sound like those potential FA cup winners from Lower Grenoside and he is starting to sound like a very poor Alistair Campbell.

Lot of good stuff on this thread and no falling out either. The sound of pennies dropping can be heard in, oohh, I dunno, Belgium.

Speedo - right man (possibly, we'll never know) definately wrong time.

Birch - brings nothing to the party but His Masters flannel

Players - Slow of limb and slow of mind

Mc Cabe - Will walk away with his money back leaving everyone else with the clean-up bill. And we will end up payng him rent to play at Bramall Lane

Flatulent Bob - Down to the tune of two bottles of mulled wine

Me - Taking Worksop II's approach.

Has Birch actually done anything worthwhile yet? He must be on a very big salary and we pay for him to jet all over the place. I've heard him speak a few times and have been shocked at how poorly he comes across. I can't imagine him convincing/persuading any potential investors.

Like it Deano, good stuff, totally agree.

Must admit I'm beginning to wonder how the current predicament is going to be resolved without a wholesale change to the playing squad. I believe that GS is the right man, but at the wrong time, without some proper backing he will be fighting a losing battle. I hope Hendo and Willo return to boost us, but I fear the latter may not play this season, due to the seriousness of the injury he had.

The lack of leadership, which someone referred to earlier in the thread, is very clear to see, and from what I've heard of recent performances, without Morgan there's very little out there.

I'll keep supporting the lads for 90mins, but can't help but feel that the slope is getting steeper and more slippery as the weeks progress. They need backing as there's sod all else we can do, booing solves nothing but your own frustrations! :-/

Problem is we are all geared up for the Premiership with Chief Execs, fancy dans with fancy dan titles, fancy hotels and fancy interests around the globe. Only one thing missing however, we are not an established Premiership brand. What does this mean? We can't get the sponsorship to keep things ticking over, we can't get the investment or interest in it. As all this happens, because (and its solely because) McCabe won't finance it himself we will continue to slide down the league. We have a manager who is out of his depth. We have players who still get paid so they don't give a toss. Half of them are on loan so they actually care less.

There is a way out of this however. McCabe stops ringfencing his own interests and just basically gives Speed some money to spend in January. We get some QUALITY in and ship some crap out. Cut losses and lose Chedwyn because I have a swing in our back garden that kicks a ball better than him. Replace shite with good players and we will go up the table. Its not rocket science but if we don't do it we will end up in League 1. McCabe gets the fans back on side and we get back up the league.

If we don't then the club will sink.

I would love to put my finger on what the problem is but I don't have enough fingers

Back
Top Bottom