What happens if we lose to West Brom?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Negative - Negative - Negative. I'm sick of all these posts, so much so I'm going to leave this site for a while. We are only 11 points below Man City for crying out loud with 29 games to go. I'd understand it more if we had only 10 games left, but many have thrown in the towel already. Good job CWAK and the players aren't of the same opinion.

Negative - Negative - Negative. I'm sick of all these posts, so much so I'm going to leave this site for a while. We are only 11 points below Man City for crying out loud with 29 games to go. I'd understand it more if we had only 10 games left, but many have thrown in the towel already. Good job CWAK and the players aren't of the same opinion.

If you’re still positive after this shocking start, then I take my hat off to you!

I get the op and his committed if somewhat youthful outlook, but the opinion requires a little context.
Recruitment:
This was done on a budget and a wage scale that denied the club had any real pulling power. Wilders first priority may have been survival, with one eye on the possibility of relegation in our first season back.
Due to his enforced parsimony, we bought proven championship level players, meaning, if we did go down we would have the players and a secure financial base to come back up again.
Results:
Our warrented, but unexpected promotion, might have been a season too soon, but we did benefit from a number of established clubs being in a rebuild phase, and other weaker sides with less organized management. This is where our then unfamiliar system also gained points for us.
Fitness:
From our debut against Bournemouth it was clear that we had a very fit squad. Fewer injuries and suspensions also helped. Credit to the coaxing staff here.
During lockdown, I suspect wilder wanted the squad as fit as possible, but it is apparent that some could have overtrained in lockdown. Our form dipped as the team, individuals and management had to adjust. Has the club over reacted to this and gone a bit too soft on fitness?
Support:
No doubt in my mind that we miss fans at home and away. Bramall lane is a fortress with fearsome home support, and a dedicated away following. The players had an extra man in the fans, and visitors did not enjoy an intimidating blades support at the lane. I know Pompey thinks this is none sense but I have to disagree. A survey of players thoughts would put it right, one way or the other.
Now:
Fans have the right to question results and team selection, but Wilder has too much juggling to do already. Losing JOC, Fleck and Moose did not happen at the same time last season.
Other players have aged, and some players form has dipped at a bad time.
Maybe he should appoint trusted experienced people, to oversee aspects of club development where he is involved, but remain outside the remit of first team football. Too many fingers in too many pies?
I think that with fans back and a little reorganisation away from the first team world, CWAK will get the side firing again.
Just the rambling thoughts of an old fan. 😊

How come all these you tubers have to have a couple of old shirts hanging up in the back ground???
Try and think of something original, be much better with some old page 3 cuttings of Linda lusardi and Sam fox .......
I'm getting old

I don’t think the WBA game should be as pressurised as it currently is, as a victory (though much needed) would paper over the cracks of the substantial issues in our current play.

I think at the moment all we can hope for is a decent performance and a win to try and give us our belief back, as at the moment we’re all over the place.

It's a good point mate. I think for me, maybe I'm just more negative because it's harder to see your team do badly when you can't even go to the games. I appreciate your point about only being 11 points behind City, that fills me with more optimism. However, my worry is that yes although we've only played 9 games, nothing positive has come from them which is my biggest worry. If you watch my video, I say how I wouldn't complain if we were losing and bottom of the league if we were having chances every game and possibly even a few goals. But it seems we are happy with a 1-0 moment if we lose.

This is why I raised the point about the West Brom game, as if we lose that it wouldn't just leave us bottom of the table, it would also leave us 5 points from 2nd bottom after 10 games! That's the stat to focus on, the reason I don't want him out is because I still believe he's the man to do it and replacing him would be extremely tricky. So I did this thread just to highlight what's change, where we have gone wrong. Which I can imagine is annoying as most people have probably seen things like this 10 times a day, so I can see the frustration.

To finish on I'm just hoping Wilder, for starters can just be as honest in his pre and post match conferences as he has been in his last 4 years. I miss his honesty of how we are really playing! 'The politician interview technique' does not suit him!

I've seen very few posts that actually say they want him out

A number of people questioning where the real Wilder has gone and wondering what has happened behind the scenes, but not many actually demanding he goes.
Yeah I can understand that, for me though I can wanted to highlight what's changed. (I know that's obvious!) However, I just feel that it's just frustrating to watch us play every week and barely seeing a decent chance, let alone a goal. We play West Brom next, and if we beat them, then it could be a completely different story. We could suddenly pick up loads of momentum and I'll look like a complete knob posting this, which I hope I do! I just feel like we need to realise how poor so far we've been this season. We never seem to have real chances and last 15 never seem to put the opposition under pressure when they are holding onto the lead.

My question is.. Are you from Sheffield?
No, but if you are trying to say I started clinging on to our success after last years wonder season. Then no, I supported us since I was 5 and went to games home and away since I was 10, starting with our first season in league 1! So don't get me wrong, I know anything compared to the horror of league 1 is a bonus but we have to be ambitious and make the most of our success.

No, but if you are trying to say I started clinging on to our success after last years wonder season. Then no, I supported us since I was 5 and went to games home and away since I was 10, starting with our first season in league 1! So don't get me wrong, I know anything compared to the horror of league 1 is a bonus but we have to be ambitious and make the most of our success.
Was simply your accent.

I get the op and his committed if somewhat youthful outlook, but the opinion requires a little context.
Recruitment:
This was done on a budget and a wage scale that denied the club had any real pulling power. Wilders first priority may have been survival, with one eye on the possibility of relegation in our first season back.
Due to his enforced parsimony, we bought proven championship level players, meaning, if we did go down we would have the players and a secure financial base to come back up again.
Results:
Our warrented, but unexpected promotion, might have been a season too soon, but we did benefit from a number of established clubs being in a rebuild phase, and other weaker sides with less organized management. This is where our then unfamiliar system also gained points for us.
Fitness:
From our debut against Bournemouth it was clear that we had a very fit squad. Fewer injuries and suspensions also helped. Credit to the coaxing staff here.
During lockdown, I suspect wilder wanted the squad as fit as possible, but it is apparent that some could have overtrained in lockdown. Our form dipped as the team, individuals and management had to adjust. Has the club over reacted to this and gone a bit too soft on fitness?
Support:
No doubt in my mind that we miss fans at home and away. Bramall lane is a fortress with fearsome home support, and a dedicated away following. The players had an extra man in the fans, and visitors did not enjoy an intimidating blades support at the lane. I know Pompey thinks this is none sense but I have to disagree. A survey of players thoughts would put it right, one way or the other.
Now:
Fans have the right to question results and team selection, but Wilder has too much juggling to do already. Losing JOC, Fleck and Moose did not happen at the same time last season.
Other players have aged, and some players form has dipped at a bad time.
Maybe he should appoint trusted experienced people, to oversee aspects of club development where he is involved, but remain outside the remit of first team football. Too many fingers in too many pies?
I think that with fans back and a little reorganisation away from the first team world, CWAK will get the side firing again.
Just the rambling thoughts of an old fan. 😊
I think you summarised it far better than me! I totally agree, it goes without saying that we haven't been the same since lockdown and all those reason you've mentioned are why. I've been mentioning how the last 15 minutes we should be dominating games when going behind. If we had fans, I'm sure that would be the case.

Fitness hasn't been the same since lockdown either, in fairness maybe that's why they can't attack in the last 15 minutes because, simply they are just too tired. Comparing it to last season, the only games off the top off my head where we really looked tired before lockdown was Manchester United at home towards the end as the players had put so much into that match. Liverpool away due to coming to the end of such a busy Christmas schedule with the same 11.

Injuries like you say have been a big hit to the squad, the 3 you mention are probably our 3 biggest players so maybe that's gone under the radar a lot.

How come all these you tubers have to have a couple of old shirts hanging up in the back ground???
Try and think of something original, be much better with some old page 3 cuttings of Linda lusardi and Sam fox .......
I'm getting old
It's a good point I guess I just do it to stop it being a plain background behind me. I have some blades pictures too but sadly you can't see them too well because the camera is too far away. Appreciate the feedback! I'll get thinking for some more unique decorations .

I don’t think the WBA game should be as pressurised as it currently is, as a victory (though much needed) would paper over the cracks of the substantial issues in our current play.

I think at the moment all we can hope for is a decent performance and a win to try and give us our belief back, as at the moment we’re all over the place.
I agree, but for the pressure unfortunately there's a lot of it for the match. From my perspective, we haven't deserved to beat anyone this season. At the start maybe we deserved something against Leeds and Villa but I think that last minute defeat to Leeds was the kickstarter for the heads dropping.

Going back to the match though, from the players perspective confidence could drop sadly even more than it already has if we lose to West Brom as if we can't beat second bottom in the league, who will we? It will also leave us 5 points off 2nd bottom in the league.

I hate to sound negative, when it comes to United especially I'm usually always optimistic. But I think with the combinations of, being lockdown, not being able to go to the games and of course not winning a game yet it's brought the worst of me. I'm sure that will all change though if we win on Saturday. UTB!

HRH wont be happy. Can someone lend him £120m?

we have to go for west brom from the off and if we can get an early goal some confidence will come back im sure its whos gonna score it thats the problem

I'm getting old
Bet you wish you were.
It is a silent 'h' on old isn't it?

But have you got a brick in the wall? I think that’s the qualifier for ‘bigger Blade’ status nowadays!

I'm not particularly miffed at our current predicament as I can remember being in league one just 4 years ago. Bit of perspective is all people need, without Wilder we would still be toiling in the pub league, possibly dropping down again. Wilder specifically said he recruited with relegation in mind as a real possibility. That doesn't mean its his goal he has just invested sensibly and actually put the clubs interests first. Unlike other teams who aim to establish themselves with a completely unstable wage structure, if we go down we can retain much of this squad, ideally get promoted and continue to build.

Realistically if we don't win today I think that's that and can't see us staying up, regardless of how few points adrift we are.

Back
Top Bottom