What ever happened to...?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pkw1979

Reaction score
...5-3-2 or 3-5-2, however you wish to label it? I know at times of misery it's easy to reminisce, but my favourite United team of my lifetime (in terms of enjoyment football wise) were the Spackman team; the formation seems to have disappeared without a trace over recent years. Could it work for us with our current playing squad?

I think it could:
Long​
Maguire Collins Hill​
Westlake McFadzean​
McGinn Cuvelier Doyle​
Baxter Porter​
I think the athleticism of McF and attacking intent of Westlake in the wingback positions could provide opportunities going forward, and they're both solid enough defensively to cover effectively when we don't have the ball.​
McGinn and Doyle could sit in the middle of the park and do the dirty, simple stuff (if they put their chuffing minds to it anyhow!) and allow Cuvelier to buzz around, get on the ball and link with a (heaven forbid) front two!​
Porter, although limited, is the best option we have currently at making the ball stick up top, and in the absence of Miller or A.N.Other, Baxter could drop off and cause problems.​
Just a suggestion though; I'm an advocate of 4-4-2 also, but thought I'd re-open the 3-5-2/5-3-2 debate.... any thoughts?!​

...5-3-2 or 3-5-2, however you wish to label it? I know at times of misery it's easy to reminisce, but my favourite United team of my lifetime (in terms of enjoyment football wise) were the Spackman team; the formation seems to have disappeared without a trace over recent years. Could it work for us with our current playing squad?............................................. any thoughts?!

I agree about Spackman’s team and I think that 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 could work, although probably the former to help them play higher up the pitch. My major doubt is whether David Weir has sufficient players of an adequate standard to play any system.

If my memory serves me correctly, didn’t Spackman work initially alongside Howard Kendall and learn the ropes from him before he took over? McCabe has hinted at additions to the management team and I think that David Weir desperately needs an experienced Director of Football to work with at this stage of his managerial career; the sooner the better.

Changing the manager and starting again is not the answer in my view. Successive managers have proved what a poison chalice this job is, it was never going to be easy.

Personally, I am waiting to see what the joint owners will do in the coming days. They could act decisively, within the financial limitations of the rules, to do something like I have suggested and also recruit a nucleus of better quality players. Alternatively they could do little or nothing for a while and hang David Weir out to dry, which would serve no purpose whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom