What a crap transfer window

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just wondering who he's found dumb enough to stump up £10m on a promise after the way he rinsed Dozy

I've defended the Prince by in large on this window and as always I'll wait to the end to make a judgement. Well unless something spectacular happens now we know that it is over for us now in terms of the window. So according to my maths skills, admittedly limited (grade C after two years of resists from an initial grade E) we've spent the following give or take, and I've gone top heavy where they has been varying parameters on a fee, granted some are guesses, such as loan fees:

1 Trusty £5m
2 Slimane £3m
3 Larouci £1m loan fee
4 Thomas £1m loan fee
5 Hamer £15m
6 Souxa £12m
7 Davies Free but we'll go £500,000 for signing on fee and an allowance for high wages just to go to go top heavy again
8 Archer £18m
9 Traore £5m
10 McAtee £2m loan fee

So that's a total of £62.5m. If we say that Ndiaye went for £20m and Berge £12m then that's £32m meaning we've got a net spend of £32.5m. Now that is more than the £20m we thought may be the case but that's because we sold Berge and Ndiaye and as for the Archer deal we know that he may well be off next summer if he does well and we go down. Of course maybe he won't too. I would just say for the sake of another loan signing from abroad such as Balde or King, whoever Hecky wanted, going up by another few million on a loan fee and wages may well be the difference of staying up. I'm not saying we go silly but we definitely needed another up top given the injuries to Jebbo and to Brewster.

I wonder if Jebbo was set to be sold to fund another in but he's got ill/was injured and maybe this hasn't helped too. Either way I worry we've not got enough depth of quality up top and also to an extent in centre mid because I can see Norwood being a starter this season and who would have thought that would suffice when Doyle took his place and we saw the difference. Fair play to Norwood, he's started reasonably well, I love his attitude and he's been an amazing player for us as a signing, same as Fleck, but we needed another in there too. Hopefully Davies will be that man.

I've defended the Prince by in large on this window and as always I'll wait to the end to make a judgement. Well unless something spectacular happens now we know that it is over for us now in terms of the window. So according to my maths skills, admittedly limited (grade C after two years of resists from an initial grade E) we've spent the following give or take, and I've gone top heavy where they has been varying parameters on a fee, granted some are guesses, such as loan fees:

1 Trusty £5m
2 Slimane £3m
3 Larouci £1m loan fee
4 Thomas £1m loan fee
5 Hamer £15m
6 Souxa £12m
7 Davies Free but we'll go £500,000 for signing on fee and an allowance for high wages just to go to go top heavy again
8 Archer £18m
9 Traore £5m
10 McAtee £2m loan fee

So that's a total of £62.5m. If we say that Ndiaye went for £20m and Berge £12m then that's £32m meaning we've got a net spend of £32.5m. Now that is more than the £20m we thought may be the case but that's because we sold Berge and Ndiaye and as for the Archer deal we know that he may well be off next summer if he does well and we go down. Of course maybe he won't too. I would just say for the sake of another loan signing from abroad such as Balde or King, whoever Hecky wanted, going up by another few million on a loan fee and wages may well be the difference of staying up. I'm not saying we go silly but we definitely needed another up top given the injuries to Jebbo and to Brewster.

I wonder if Jebbo was set to be sold to fund another in but he's got ill/was injured and maybe this hasn't helped too. Either way I worry we've not got enough depth of quality up top and also to an extent in centre mid because I can see Norwood being a starter this season and who would have thought that would suffice when Doyle took his place and we saw the difference. Fair play to Norwood, he's started reasonably well, I love his attitude and he's been an amazing player for us as a signing, same as Fleck, but we needed another in there too. Hopefully Davies will be that man.

Depends how you look at it, I would put Archer at 2 mill myself as we know it's money we know getting back.

Pretty sure that's the way Prince will be looking at it anyway.

1 Trusty £5m
2 Slimane £3m
3 Larouci £1m loan fee
4 Thomas £1m loan fee
5 Hamer £15m
6 Souxa £12m
8 Archer £18m
9 Traore £5m
10 McAtee £2m loan fee

I get your point, I actually think we signed Hamer & Souza quite cheap. There’s a few unknowns in there like Traore, Slimane, Laroucci. Jury’s is still out on those three but it’s probably the best window we could hoped for in the end. It would have been nice to have 2/3 more, maybe a better back up keeper/ extra CB and attacker.

We do have a lot of players out injured so the squad within a few months should be healthier if we can get Fleck & Brewster back to fill the bench

I think we’re marginally better than last season, but we’ve not significantly improved for the step up. Can’t see many goals in our side. Need a result today, fingers crossed. 🤞
We don't need a 20 goal season from anyone really. Close to 10 would do and who's to say Archer couldn't do that? I'd say he almost as likely as Ndiaye was.
Hamer will get more than Berge.
And McAtee should contribute again too.
I suppose its going to come down to what Archers partner, the other midfielder and the wingback get.
Egan and his 50p head will get on the end of 90% of corners but we'll be lucky if he gets 2 but Anel and Bogel might.

Let's not get too carried away just yet.
Loosing Ndiaye and Berge blew a massive hole in HMS Staying up.
We have managed too get back to port and repairs have been made quickly, are these repairs good enough and strong enough to at least finish 4th from bottom we don't know yet.
We have alot of new players and in the first three games unfortunately we don't look like team, plus have also added three more players in the last few days. Factor in the really poor Pre-Season we had it is going too be a tough ask. It's also going too take time something we don't really have.
This is where we will see if Heckingbottom is really a good manager because he's got too mold a team from these players very quickly.
We will probably need a bit of luck today but let's hope we get it and can get our first three points on the table too give everyone a boost going into the break.

We would likely win the championship with this squad and then need to improve from this base. If that's the situation in two summers time then it's broadly been a success but that is a long time to wait.

I don’t think we’ll miss Berge at all, if all we’d done was sell Berge for Hamer and kept illy then that would have been far better that said Illy is unproved in the PL perhaps we’re holding on to a thought that may not be real.

10 signings but only 5 senior players up on last year, I agree with Rodley we are marginally better than last year, in some areas.

I do worry about the quality of the depth we have just given our injury record. We’re only a couple of defensive injuries away from having to play a youngster and we have no real backup for a target man in Mcburnie. Midfield is definitely the strongest area now.

We don't need a 20 goal season from anyone really. Close to 10 would do and who's to say Archer couldn't do that? I'd say he almost as likely as Ndiaye was.
Hamer will get more than Berge.
And McAtee should contribute again too.
I suppose its going to come down to what Archers partner, the other midfielder and the wingback get.
Egan and his 50p head will get on the end of 90% of corners but we'll be lucky if he gets 2 but Anel and Bogel might.

We’ll need 40 goals to be in the mix to stay up.

Of course we could go down, but I still feel we are in better shape than a few, I firmly believe we finish above Everton, Luton, Burnley, wolves and possibly Bournemouth

Fingers crossed

So we lost :

Mcatee
Doyle
Ndiyae
Berge
Sharp
Enda

We bought in:

Mcatee
Souza
Davies
Slimani
Traore
Archer
Trusty
Thomas
Hamer
Larouci

You would need to admit that we have probably recruited the best we could and quality has improved.

However we have left ourselves short in some positions and over stacked in another without adding any real quality in that position.

Whether it's crap or otherwise will depend entirely on how well Souza, Hamer and to a lesser extent, Davies perform.

Last time we were here, we had the worst midfield in PL history and as things stood in April we had pretty much the same midfield. Moving Berge on is huge as his game is totally unsuited to the PL, but Norwood is still playing the old tunes..

Time will tell, but I'm still not convinced we've cracked it....

We’ll need 40 goals to be in the mix to stay up.
3 clubs stayed up with slightly less to be fair.
If Archer gets 12
McBurnie 6
Hamer 5
Osula 4
Benie 3
Anel 2
Bogle 2
And we have have the same goals that Everton stayed up with.

PL is 3 leagues in its own right. Spenders, Stayers and Scrappers. We are firmly in the scrapper section along with Luton, Burnley, Forest, Wolves, Everton and Bournemouth.
They really all are 6 pointers. Fingers crossed we are still in the mix in January.

A lot better than I feared when we sold Illy and Berge (knew he was a bad buy at his first game at Palace btw, just did not have the drive you need to be a United midfielder).

You can see that the Prince has learned from last time and not over stretched the club and will not be stuck with Archer if he turns out to be Brewster mark2.

BUT, he has only given us a chance of staying up, we are reliant on a couple of the new signing becoming legends, whereas last time none of them paid off.

I would have liked an older experience head to help us manage games. But the wages would have screwed the structure.

At least we have a chance, whereas 4 weeks ago we were screwed and looked like Derby nil points.

Now we need lady luck, no season defining injuries like the last time we went down (Hulse and Jack), McAtee to carry on improving, Archer hit the ground running and Hamer and Vinni to becoming legends.

Oh and one of the kids to have a break through season. Not too much to ask for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom