Match Thread West Bromwich Albion v. Sheffield United - 18th August 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WES
WES
WES

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1629190988643.png v. 1629190996312.png
Championship Week 3 - Wednesday 18th August 2021 - 20:00 - The Hawthorns

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/west-bromwich-albion-vs-sheffield-united.554/

Officials:

Referee:
Matthew Donohue
Assistant Referee: Richard Wild
Assistant Referee: Steven Meredith
Fourth Official: John Busby

Away Fans Guide: https://www.wba.co.uk/fans/matchdays-more/away-supporters-guide

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺
Live TV Coverage
:

1629190759428.png

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Seems like I'm going against the grain here but I'm fine with the line-up. I'm not confident we are going to be able to transition completely away from 3 at the back and towards how Slav usually sets up until we've done more transfer business.

In the mean time, this to me looks solid if not particularly exciting and should be difficult to beat at Championship level. We're desperate for some additional attacking flair and midfield options.

Three at the back I’ve kind of no problem with… its the make up of that three along with the midfield and forwards I’m not happy about.

Annoying that Lee Hendrie is talking sense on SSN questioning why we’re playing Brewster on the left wing

There must be a good keeper in Verrips with all the fuss we went through to sign him.

Secondly what’s happened to RND was expecting big things from him this season but Slav doesn’t seem to fancy him at all

That team is worse than a wilder v Man City team

£50 million spent on strikers and were still playing sharp ahead of Brewster/Mcburnie and even jebbison

I've got the feeling he's realised players are pretty rigid in terms of ability / systems - and we don't really have the personnel for his desired style formations at the moment.

Tried a few different formations in first 3 games, but until signings come in think he's reverted to 'tried and tested'.

My guess is we'll see this for the next few games until we get new signings in.

Dad's Army upfront.

Is that the flattest of flat 5-3-2s?!

Three at the back I’ve kind of no problem with… its the make up of that three along with the midfield and forwards I’m not happy about.

Fair enough but given that our other midfield and forward options are either non-existent or hardly firing on all cylinders, would you be any more enthusiastic if you kept the shape but had Burke and McBurnie up top? Or Brewster?

Re: back three - is that not the same three we used plenty of times in the Premier League last year, keeping a couple of clean sheets at the back end of the season? Everton and Burnley games? I'm sure Davies will work his way in soon and will hopefully be an upgrade on Robinson.

Think we're kind of agreeing in part. To me, until Slav is able to bring in some creative/attacking flair this side is arguably as good (or reliable) as we have.

There must be a good keeper in Verrips with all the fuss we went through to sign him.

Secondly what’s happened to RND was expecting big things from him this season but Slav doesn’t seem to fancy him at all
RND injured

Looks like we've gone back to the usual formation which I think is best atm til slav gets backed further in the transfer market. Would have prefered Brewster to be up front instead of Sharp but 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Don't care of Rammers goes if we get good money.

Get some midfielders in ffs. Berge will be gone next and I really don't want to see us having to play Norwood week in, week out. We need 2/3 midfielders imo.

Plus surely Davies off a few days training is better than a fully fit and firing Robinson

I was gonna watch it until I saw that line up
I think I'll let our lass catch up on half a dozen Emmerdale's Corries and Bell Enders

I've got the feeling he's realised players are pretty rigid in terms of ability / systems - and we don't really have the personnel for his desired style formations at the moment.

Tried a few different formations in first 3 games, but until signings come in think he's reverted to 'tried and tested'.

My guess is we'll see this for the next few games until we get new signings in.

I'm seeing things similarly to you I think. I'm actually supportive of it. If it helps us steady things, get a few points on the board whilst waiting for more recruitment, fine. Realistically we always knew we were entering a transition phase. Some reactions on here have surprised me just 2/3 games in.

Fair enough but given that our other midfield and forward options are either non-existent or hardly firing on all cylinders, would you be any more enthusiastic if you kept the shape but had Burke and McBurnie up top? Or Brewster?

Re: back three - is that not the same three we used plenty of times in the Premier League last year, keeping a couple of clean sheets at the back end of the season? Everton and Burnley games? I'm sure Davies will work his way in soon and will hopefully be an upgrade on Robinson.

Think we're kind of agreeing in part. To me, until Slav is able to bring in some creative/attacking flair this side is arguably as good (or reliable) as we have.

Id have been more Happy with Brewster starting and maybe even giving Freeman a go in midfield. Fleck has had about two good games since the fist Covid lockdown.. Norwood one if I’m being generous. But we keep trying the same things expecting a different result.

Slav: if you're good enough you're old enough

Nekk minnit....

Id have been more Happy with Brewster starting and maybe even giving Freeman a go in midfield. Fleck has had about two good games since the fist Covid lockdown.. Norwood one if I’m being generous. But we keep trying the same things expecting a different result.

Again, don't think anything you've said is unreasonable just don't fully agree. I'm yet to see, for example, why I should want Brewster starting over and above Sharp or McGoldrick.

Re: Norwood/Fleck - yep, I hear you to a degree but again, until we have brought more in I'm afraid they are what we have. I can't blame Slav for his selection on that basis.

I think we need Osborns energy and tackling, then again we also need some creativity, but Osborn was brought on ahead of Freeman at Swansea

Verrips will never play again for us after this fuck up performance tonight and rightfully so. ;)

I cant cope with a 532, and it being a flat midfield again, didnt work last season wont work this season.

If we do a 532 hopefully Berge is playing in a more advanced role behind the front two 🤞

Maybe he's just thinking that until he gets the people he wants in (which should be more likely now Ramsdale is off) he'll just do what they're more comfortable with for now. We beat West Brom fairly recently and our squads haven't changed much.

Looks like a 4 at back then?

Attachments

• IMG-20210818-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210818-WA0001.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 52

Back
Top Bottom