CONFIRMED Wes Foderingham signs on 3 year deal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agreed, when thecsigning was made I could not see anything g that foderingham, brought to the table that was not already here. He has hardly inspired confidence whenever I have seen him, possibly a decent shot stopper when he gets his angles right but as a keeper who commands his area ????

I can only think Foderingham was a panic buy as we sweated over the fitness of Verrips and Moore, (begs the question of a 3 year deal though?)

I can only think Foderingham was a panic buy as we sweated over the fitness of Verrips and Moore, (begs the question of a 3 year deal though?)
We do seem to issue long contracts to squad players; Verrips was given a 4 year deal, Kean Bryan was given 3 years.

We do seem to issue long contracts to squad players; Verrips was given a 4 year deal, Kean Bryan was given 3 years.

which is weird because reserve keepers are fungible.

Does Bryan actually play any football? I don’t follow the under 23s or whatever so I have no idea.

Come on...he was brought in as 3rd or 4th choice as a worst case scenario. Liverpool's is Andy Lonergan, Man City still had Richard Wright in 2016!...what would you expect?

Come on...he was brought in as 3rd or 4th choice as a worst case scenario. Liverpool's is Andy Lonergan, Man City still had Richard Wright in 2016!...what would you expect?
Foderingham was brought in as second choice. I would imagine that Moore was expected to leave before he got injured, Eastwood was supposed to be at Kilmarnock which leaves Verrips who the management team clearly don't trust.

which is weird because reserve keepers are fungible.

Does Bryan actually play any football? I don’t follow the under 23s or whatever so I have no idea.
This baffles me to high heaven. What are 25 man squads for if players outside the matchday squads are literally playing ZERO football. What exactly is Kean Bryan doing to improve? How can he ever be match fit/ready? Same goes for Rodwell, Bogle and all the keepers. How can we rely on any of them to be ready if called upon?

I just don’t understand why reserve team football doesn’t exist anymore.

This baffles me to high heaven. What are 25 man squads for if players outside the matchday squads are literally playing ZERO football. What exactly is Kean Bryan doing to improve? How can he ever be match fit/ready? Same goes for Rodwell, Bogle and all the keepers. How can we rely on any of them to be ready if called upon?

Absolutely agree with reserve football. I think they scrapped it at the wrong time, just as football was becoming big again. I think most PL clubs would get decent attendances at modern reserve games and it would be more beneficial to their younger players than just playing u23s.

They presumably play in the various behind-closed-doors games that clubs will routinely arrange. These aren’t always reported on. And of course they’re important for the first team to train with. It’s just a different system now. That extends to the U23s too – all talk of chucking in some of them into the PL is well wide of the mark when we’ve deliberately loaned out those closest to being ready so that they can experience some competitive senior football.

So signing a gk who has pl experience, so probably a bigger wage + fee to sit on the bench would mean we'd have saved money? Right...

the wages of such a player might be lower than the combined wages of 3 of the other reserve keepers on our books

the wages of such a player might be lower than the combined wages of 3 of the other reserve keepers on our books
And might be as a result a regular first team wage.

We seem to have a structure in place where we have different bands for what we’re prepared to pay: top earners, regular starters, regular bench fillers, other squad fillers. Our issue with wages at times seems to be about paying someone above the level we’re prepared to pay, not in paying them above the level we can pay – Antonee Robinson seems to be in that category, when we probably weren’t willing to give him a high earner wage for a player that we viewed as initially being a bench-filler. I don’t really have a problem with that approach either tbh currently. The only bad situation with the keepers is simply that we have too many average ones, owing to injuries preventing two from leaving.

Yeah Moore still isn’t right last behind the scenes vid he was wearing a 3 fingered glove so I’d image it was a scramble to find a number 2 going into the season. In terms of the length of deal maybe the player wanted long term security and we compromised by offering a long deal but on favourable terms gives the player some security in his life whilst not being a millstone round the clubs neck just speculating but that would be a scenario which could suit all parties.

Yeah Moore still isn’t right last behind the scenes vid he was wearing a 3 fingered glove so I’d image it was a scramble to find a number 2 going into the season. In terms of the length of deal maybe the player wanted long term security and we compromised by offering a long deal but on favourable terms gives the player some security in his life whilst not being a millstone round the clubs neck just speculating but that would be a scenario which could suit all parties.
I think a three fingered glove is called a “half-Barnsley”.

Wes was obviously one of Wilder's signings.. but always as a backup keeper, with other keepers brought in to play ahead of him.

In fact harping back to the original article, Wilder even states Wes would be a "useful squad member" rather than first choice.

My question is... do you think this will this be one of the first areas Wilder will look to address when he gets an opportunity to do so?

Wes was obviously one of Wilder's signings.. but always as a backup keeper, with other keepers brought in to play ahead of him.

In fact harping back to the original article, Wilder even states Wes would be a "useful squad member" rather than first choice.

My question is... do you think this will this be one of the first areas Wilder will look to address when he gets an opportunity to do so?
If its not, then Wilder AHT, should be one of the many top priorities to sort out.

Depends on how much the prince is willing to give him, Wes has made some right ricks but I can’t think of any off of them that haven’t maybe Macatee, but a lot of it I’m putting down to frustration and not understanding what Hecky was on about, wilder now has until January to assess, get his plan over to the players and try and get something out of them, if they don’t they’ll be gone, dropped etc

Depends on how much the prince is willing to give him, Wes has made some right ricks but I can’t think of any off of them that haven’t maybe Macatee, but a lot of it I’m putting down to frustration and not understanding what Hecky was on about, wilder now has until January to assess, get his plan over to the players and try and get something out of them, if they don’t they’ll be gone, dropped etc

I think Wilder looks for a 'leader' as a goalkeeper.. not wearing the captains armband per se.. but a keeper like Henderson and Ramsdale who will boss the defence vocally all game and give the defenders confidence.

Back
Top Bottom