Welcome to the Wilderness Years

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Klaatu Barada Nikto

Reaction score
Today was a statement of intent from the club. A statement that we’re entering a period of managed decline.

hope the best for Hecky, McCall and Lester, but they’ll be working miracles to keep this club in the championship during his contract.

Is that a typo and delayed post?

WILDERLESS is it supposed to be?

We’re not really Wilder-less though are we, playing his players in his system, with his expensive signings warming our bench.

If anything we’re now bound to this system until 2026.

Today was a statement of intent from the club. A statement that we’re entering a period of managed decline.

hope the best for Hecky, McCall and Lester, but they’ll be working miracles to keep this club in the championship during his contract.

I completely agree. Suddenly, all of the laughs at Wednesday's expense seem quite distant today.
I now see a very similar trajectory for ourselves.

And I'm not saying we shouldn't have laughed at Wednesday, because you have to enjoy those times when you have them. But that these things do always come around in cycles is inevitable and it seems now it's our turn.

Yep, Stoke is the model, bob along try and avoid relegation, get rid of the PL transfer mistakes and contracts.

What more could we want as fans?

Have to say Klaatu, on this occasion I fear you may be right. Really fucking depressing when two short years ago, we were in a position to consolidate in the PL, begin to develop the ground and training facilities and leave those bastards in S6 way behind for decades, possibly even forever as our fanbase grew.

Now look at us, we're only slightly less shit than they are. Has any football club ever fucked up and been fucked up as much as SUFC over the last 40 years.......?

I'm beginning to think the story of the gypsy curse on the "new" South Stand is true. :rolleyes: 🥴

Also suspect we’re seeing the answer to the question “what happens when the prince gets bored” that was asked quite a few times on here during the time of the ownership court battle.

Have to say Klaatu, on this occasion I fear you may be right. Really fucking depressing when two short years ago, we were in a position to consolidate in the PL, begin to develop the ground and training facilities and leave those bastards in S6 way behind for decades, possibly even forever as our fanbase grew.

Now look at us, we're only slightly less shit than they are. Has any football club ever fucked up and been fucked up as much as SUFC over the last 40 years.......?

I'm beginning to think the story of the gypsy curse on the "new" South Stand is true. :rolleyes: 🥴

A pandemic at the point that this was about to happen, proved without doubt to me that the curse is very real.

I´ve been a Blade for 50 years, so I´ve witnessed some shit. This time I´m genuinely worried.

Welcome back to the wilderness years more like

A pandemic at the point that this was about to happen, proved without doubt to me that the curse is very real.
This is a very underrated and little mentioned view of how Covid started. Compared to some of the conspiracy theories, "coz of a rumoured gypsy curse when Sheffield United built their South Stand on the former cricket pitch" sounds oraight. Gerrit on Wikipedia someone.

I´ve been a Blade for 50 years, so I´ve witnessed some shit. This time I´m genuinely worried.
Only because everything's done in the full glare of the media now.
Previously you probably didn't know about most of the shit that was going on until it actually had an effect. 🤨

This happens to every club who don't go up within the first 2 seasons of coming down from The Prem. We have just conceded earlier than most clubs do.

This happens to every club who don't go up within the first 2 seasons of coming down from The Prem. We have just conceded earlier than most clubs do.

Basically we have Huddersfield as a lead indicator given they were in the PL for two seasons 2 years before us. They saw a big adjustment down in wages (more than halved last season) as well as a step-up in player sales. Get the impression our wage bill increased last season given the various signings and probably hasn't reduced as much as needed this season presumably as they thought we'd bounce straight back. Lot of adjustment now needed as the parachute payments tail off over the next 3 years.

SUFC accunts.png

Name me a club who has decided to cut investment in playing staff, rely on youngsters (from a Cat B Academy) and has had any meaningful success. There isn’t one. And we’ve done this dance before - it’s basically a none too subtle code for we have no cash and we’re not interested. Jasper fucking Johns all over again.

I’m amazed they had the front to spin this as a new strategy. Synergies my arse. I’m only in my mid 30s and I’ve seen this newfangled “strategy” at least three times before. It’s miserable. 😂

WBTTWY

All down to Hecky that we've got back to the PL after an incredible run of point-gathering over almost 2 seasons , immediately following the sickening announcement by our owner's spokesman that our owner was about to disappear over the horizon + abandon us to our fate.

Name me a club who has decided to cut investment in playing staff, rely on youngsters (from a Cat B Academy) and has had any meaningful success. There isn’t one. And we’ve done this dance before - it’s basically a none too subtle code for we have no cash and we’re not interested. Jasper fucking Johns all over again.

I’m amazed they had the front to spin this as a new strategy. Synergies my arse. I’m only in my mid 30s and I’ve seen this newfangled “strategy” at least three times before. It’s miserable. 😂

WBTTWY

CB3B20E4-E161-4E57-A336-1A8CBB3DDAA3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom