Weir or the Players?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

yuley82

Member Me?
Reaction score
After another mind numbing performance on Saturday I'm still no nearer to knowing who's fault this mess is that we are in. Part of me thinks it's weirs after some bemusing substitutions yet again and the failure to change things when we needed to chase the game. Or is it the players that we've got that just can not seem to put what weir is telling them into action, the movement is totally null an void an the pace with which we attack is a canter at best, once the players cross the white line it's down to them! Personally I think the side we have is one of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of watching! What's everyone's else's thoughts, Weir's fault or the players?

Just before Preston scored, Lyle Taylor was getting ready to come onto the pitch and the 4th official was informed etc. I was guessing that Taylor was about to replace King (who lacked match fitness). Preston then scored. I yelled "play with two strikers" and to my surprise, Weir told the 4th official what it looked to me that he had a change of mind over who Taylor was replacing so Taylor was told to go to the dugout. A few minutes later, Taylor was ready to come on and replaced Ryan Hall so we switched to 442

I get the impression that it's a combination of both - Weir wants then to play a certain way, but they don't quite get it yet

I get the impression that it's a combination of both - Weir wants then to play a certain way, but they don't quite get it yet

Not sure Swiss. IIRC Carsley said we would be pressing teams high up the pitch. I've not seen any evidence of this - why? If the players can't get something as fundamental as this then what hope is there? We can play any formation we like, but teams are just playing through us at the moment.
It's the lack of desire and commitment (in attack and defence) that worries me. I don't know whether that comes from Weir's management style, or it's just the players. We just look weak from back to front.

Watching MOTD on Saturday, in the 2nd half Liverpool were trying to pass the ball along their defence line but Southampton's defending from the front troubled the Liverpool defenders and forced them to make mistakes. It is how Weir's Blades have been playing for most of the season. Same happened to Palace early in their game against Swansea yesterday.

Weir wants them to be negative, play at a pedestrian tempo, defend rather than attack & try to nick a goal. Apart from the nicking a goal bit, I think the players have adopted his approach well!

Back
Top Bottom