Was winning the Wham money the worst thing?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Linz

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just playing devil's advocate and speculating.

The fee for the West Ham stuff was decided in March(?) this year. Since then, we have brought in (from Soccerbase, so blame them if they're wrong!):

Lee Williamson (undisclosed)
Kyel Reid (free)
Leigh Bromby (undisclosed... we had to buy out his contract at Watford I think?)
Ryan France (free)
Andy Taylor (undisclosed)
Ched Evans (apparently anywhere between £750k to £3 million)
Glen Little (free)
Jordan Steward (swap)
Henri Camara (free)

And the deals of Cresswell and Harper if they go through.

Apart from the wages, which looking at most of the above you'd hope to be in the middle range at most for what United pay players, we don't appear to have spent a great deal.

But looking at before we had that money (or were told we were getting that money)... we were signing people like Beattie, Ehiogu, Sun, Speed, Hendrie even up to Brian Howard in January and actually spending money and paying reasonably big wage earners.

Now we've got Matt Kilgallon reportedly turning down £20k a week because he's "worth more".

I don't pay a great deal of attention to other clubs and their rumoured signings, so I was just interested in your opinions.

Do you think we are being held to ransom with transfer fees, wages and signing on fees by agents and other clubs due to winning this money?

Do you think it's made McCabe and co. more aware of the purse strings, to be seen as not rich enough to afford certain players because it'd send a message out to agents etc?

the simple answer is because we have had to downscale in order to avoid a leeds /pigs situation

In a word no ..............
the lack of forward planning and management at all levels at BDTBL is the main problem.

we were signing people like Beattie, Ehiogu, Sun, Speed, Hendrie even up to Brian Howard in January and actually spending money and paying reasonably big wage earners.

That was the worst thing.

5 of those players contributed very little in the grand scheme of things and the other one cost in the region of £2m per annum and was signed when we still had the likes of Hulse and Stead at the club.

What was our total outlay in wages on the 6 you've listed plus Naysmith? I'd guess at somewhere in the region of £10m a year.

Basically we took a massive punt on Bryan Robson taking us straight back up. Not the best gamble ever and we'll be paying for it for a long, long time yet.

i think you will find we are not

leeds got relegated 2 and went into administration ,the pigs have £30m debts

would you prefer us to be in their shoes ?

were close enuff ! :eek:

calm yourself down

no need for the hysterics ,we will be around the top 6 come seasons end

Please let me know what medication your'e on! I could do with some of that!!
As my dear old dad used to say ' If you had told that to a donkey it would have kicked your brains out'

Please let me know what medication your'e on! I could do with some of that!!
As my dear old dad used to say ' If you had told that to a donkey it would have kicked your brains out'
well if youre so sure how about a friendly wager ?

Do you think we are being held to ransom with transfer fees, wages and signing on fees by agents and other clubs due to winning this money?

We havn't got any money, the £5M has gone to pay off the loan with McC and next years £5M will be used the same way. Year three may give us some cash but I would expect the wage bill will swallow it all!!

Just playing devil's advocate and speculating.

The fee for the West Ham stuff was decided in March(?) this year. Since then, we have brought in (from Soccerbase, so blame them if they're wrong!):

Lee Williamson (undisclosed)
Kyel Reid (free)
Leigh Bromby (undisclosed... we had to buy out his contract at Watford I think?)
Ryan France (free)
Andy Taylor (undisclosed)
Ched Evans (apparently anywhere between £750k to £3 million)
Glen Little (free)
Jordan Steward (swap)
Henri Camara (free)

And the deals of Cresswell and Harper if they go through.

Apart from the wages, which looking at most of the above you'd hope to be in the middle range at most for what United pay players, we don't appear to have spent a great deal.

But looking at before we had that money (or were told we were getting that money)... we were signing people like Beattie, Ehiogu, Sun, Speed, Hendrie even up to Brian Howard in January and actually spending money and paying reasonably big wage earners.

Now we've got Matt Kilgallon reportedly turning down £20k a week because he's "worth more".

I don't pay a great deal of attention to other clubs and their rumoured signings, so I was just interested in your opinions.

Do you think it's made McCabe and co. more aware of the purse strings, to be seen as not rich enough to afford certain players because it'd send a message out to agents etc?

West Ham money is coming in incrementally over a number of seasons, and...it's more than reported in the press.

West Ham money is coming in incrementally over a number of seasons, and...it's more than reported in the press.

I read it was £5.5M for five years (i.e. £27.5M). Is it more than that?

I think the only debt we have is to McCabe or his company, which unless he sells his company, then i wouldn't see too much trouble with that

Hope that WHAM money keeps coming, lets just say it going to KMc. Therefore it is saving the club having to find it from somewhere else, it is a loan so need repaying from somewhere.

WHAM have now got to pay Curbishly, and they are dropping down the PL like a stone, that could be £10m to pay in fines next year for them......serves em right cheating gets!

Do you think Manchester united had anything to do with tevez affairs? I think there was a dodge deal going on if that Manchester united let west ham win, west ham will let man utd have tevez???

i know that the sports lawyer west ham used to argue there case is a man utd employee

maurice watkins is his name

it must all be cuming from McCabe. he wont spend any money on our team, bring in loanies to cover for his millions he made for the kyles transfers.. as a part of our agreement with west ham over payments. we where to recieve full payment if owners sell up as they did.. was it 25 million ????

Can't see anymore million pound signings on the horizon and dont think we'll finish above mid table this season but definateley not relegation.UTB

well if youre so sure how about a friendly wager ?
I'm quite certain we won't finish the season in the top 6 with Blacko the Clown in charge. I'll gladly take your money.

Back
Top Bottom