Villa 1 United 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
It was an unexpected point on the road for United as they denied Villa the chance to go outright top of the Premier League. In the end, the Blades will be disappointed not to take all three points as another late goal denied them in the 7th minute of the 9 added on. However, despite this equaliser, United will look back and reflect that it was an excellent point against a side that had won 15 home games in a row and have been absolutely flying.

Manager Wilder rotated his pack with maybe one eye on the game with Luton on Boxing Day and opted to leave Hamer, McAtee and McBurnie on the bench. Slimane made his first start and back in the side were Baldock, Norwood and skipper for the day Robinson, back from suspension. Ahmedhodzic was out injured and Larouci preferred to Max Lowe. Cameron Archer started up top against his former side and it seemed Baldock was playing on the right of three centre backs in a 5-4-1 formation.

Villa began with England striker Ollie Watkins leading their line supported by Bailey, Diaby, and Ramsey behind.

After the light show before kick-off, United had the ball in the Villa third but Larouci could not find Archer. After this, Villa started to take over and the home side had two appeals for penalties in the opening few minutes. The first was for a push/shirt pull on Souza but Taylor waved it away and Stockley Park did not see enough to overturn it. The subsequent corner saw Trusty lose Konsa and more contact was initiated but again nothing was given. Bailey was a threat down the right and he found Diaby whose low finish was saved well from Foderingham and the ball then hit Robinson’s hand on the rebound but clearly being on the ground there was nothing he could do about that and again there was no penalty given.

Villa were completely dominating the possession and looking to prompt and probe. United in contrast were just happy to help the ball clear and then revert to an organised defensive shape. Villa were not creating much although were dangerous from set plays. From one such corner, the ball came over and Trusty lost his man, Konsa again and the header went over. Watkins then had a chance but put it well over. The Blades could not get out and were defending exclusively although one rare break saw Bogle cut inside but his cross evaded the two United players in the box. Villa continued to move it around and Bailey got away from Larouci, who had otherwise stuck to his task against a skilled and quick opponent. Brooks got his foot in twice to make some good challenges and showed an almost telescopic leg to retrieve one tackle.

The stop start nature of the game frustrated the Villa fans but they had only tested Foderingham once in the game and United, although sloppy when they were occasionally on the ball, were organised and keeping a solid backline. The half time whistle came and the Blades would have been happy that they had executed the defensive side of the plan.

The trend of the first half continued with the home side moving the ball around and looking for the opening but Robinson and Trusty remained in imperious mood and with Souza working hard in front, there were little spaces for openings to be carved out. Larouci had a good break out and was fouled several times by Bailey before he finally got his man and hauled him down – earning a regulation booking. The United man than was booked for a foul on his counterpart only moments later! Wisely Wilder took him off for Lowe soon after. Hamer also came on for Brooks.

Just after this a corner came in and as Foderingham could not quite get there, the ball bounced down and Baldock made a mess of his clearance and the ball was played across and Bailey finished from close range. There was a check for a foul on the United goalkeeper and after they finally found an angle, Taylor was asked to go and look at the replays and he chalked it off citing the hold from Watkins on Foderingham’s hand.

Bogle was booked for a clumsy tackle on Ramsey and then there was incredibly another VAR check for a handball on Baldock but they adjudged it had hit his shoulder/breast rather than the arm. Villa were really putting the pressure on and looking to break their deadlock their domination deserved but they had created few clear chances.

Wilder brought on fresh legs with McAtee on for Slimane and this change signalled a spell where United were finally able to get out and up the pitch. Moreno and Duran came on for Digne and Diaby for the home side. The Blades finally had a chance and a shot when Hamer’s cross dropped for Norwood and his curling effort was saved by Martinez. The next attack saw Lowe well forward and his cross hit Konsa and deflected narrowly wide. Zaniolo came on for Bailey as the game entered the final 10 minutes. Archer then had a shot blocked before Norwood hit one over the bar. Duran caught Robinson drawing claret from the Scousers head but VAR did not see enough to tell Taylor to go and have a look.

It was a really improved period of play from the visitors and it culminated with a shock goal on 87 minutes with Robinson still off the field! The ball was played down the right and Hamer kept his composure to jink back inside and roll a cross over to ARCHER who side footed home to spark jubilant scenes in the away end.

Villa looked to respond and the crowd were buoyed by the decision to award 9 minutes of stoppage time at which point McBurnie came on. United switched off at the far post and Foderingham had to make the save from Moreno. United were holding firm seemingly but as the game ticked into the 97th minutes, late heartbreak ensued. An appeal for a raised hand was waved away and the ball was moved to the right and Luiz sent over an excellent cross but both the goalkeeper and defence will be disappointed that as they were floundering, the sub Zaniolo got there first to glance home. Villa now sensed an unlikely win and for United the real concerns was could this be a case of déjà vu with the Spurs defeat very much in their minds. United did prevent any further serious attacks and ended the game at the right end of the pitch as they won a point no one really expected pre kick off.

United – Well it was an odd feeling. A great point but then to let one in so late is maddening too. The chance to win games in this league do not come very often for us so to get so close, like Spurs away and to a high placed side is frustrating. However, when the dust has settled as Neville said after the game, it is an excellent point. It is another strange one to analyse. Villa had 78% possession, dominated the game pretty much from start to finish but then did not create that much and outside of all the VAR stuff and appeals (surprised at least one was not given and the goal also I felt would have been allowed to stand) they did not create much really. Wes made maybe two saves all night. They passed it around a lot and were almost entirely in our half till towards the end of the game but they were quite poor in penetrating us. For that I praise United as we had a good shape, solid defensively and did work hard. We were not ran through time after time. We did sit deep and invite pressure but maybe that was part of the plan? I do not think we played particularly well. It was a plan and it frustrated Villa but on the ball I thought we were hopeless for the most part and quite negative. I think we can still defend and be well set up as we were, but we often just punted it away or kicked it out and then just went back to defence mode where I felt with some (any) care of the ball we would at least get up the field and thus give the defence a break from the ball constantly coming at them. Some of the passing/decisions were awful really the few times we had it. We did make the game niggly and lots of little fouls here and there and stoppages helped us. VAR kind of went for us (will discuss later) in most cases and as the game went on, you thought we might maybe nick a point even thought I felt inevitable they may break through as we had defended so much and chased a lot meaning we were fatigued.

The subs gave us a bit of a lift and then for 5 minutes we had a spell and finally had a shot from Norwood and then another from him, the deflected cross from Lowe that nearly went in and then Archer had a shot blocked. The goal came soon after as Villa maybe got away with the elbow on Robinson and Hamer showed real composure and picked out Archer. This was a massive moment but the inevitable huge period of stoppage time is put up (I thought 9 seemed a minute or so too much even with the VAR checks) and you have the strange thoughts of I would probably still settle for a point. As it goes on, you then think well they might not have time to get two but sadly they did get one. A poor goal and although there is fault for not stopping the cross, no one getting tight or going with the runner, it is a basic goalkeeping error. He had done ok apart from that but again shows why we need to upgrade here at this level. He must get there once he comes. I do not agree with some who say he goes as no defender did. He was just too slow and then is in no-mans land. In a weird way he would have been better staying at home and then might have a chance. There were a few balls that came in his box he did not get from crosses which was ironic as in general play he was good in terms of coming off his line. Really annoying but at least we did not let another one in I suppose! Still to break Villa’s record is impressive and is another point and it seems we will break Derby’s record at least. For a day we are off the bottom too!

We have definitely become more resolute and organised under Wilder. However, I am not sure that it was a brilliant performance particularly in that we looked so limited in terms of just kicking it away or out often and no effort was made to keep it/pass it till the closing stages. There were some good foot in/tackles etc but we also looked susceptible on set plays and I think they still had a fair bit of time with the ball in the final third but made poor decisions. I suppose it seems harsh saying I don’t think we were very good when we draw at Villa and restrict them to few chances but I thought we looked an extremely limited side, which we are, at this level. The counter argument is we had to just make it ugly and defend and do all the bits and pieces and I suppose we kind of did that. Just wish we were better with the football and surely players can make basic passes or decisions so it’s not a constant game of just defending. It is like we are almost kicking it out of an area in a game of defence v attack and then setting up again and it just repeats. It is frustrating but suppose with McAtee and Hamer out, we did not have players who could maybe get us going up the pitch.

As a team we defended well though and did restrict them to very little in terms of clear-cut chances. I thought the midfield lads before they came on did ok defensively but were so poor with the ball (Norwood particularly – again seen some thought he played well so it’s a game of opinions!). Archer worked hard with very little service. Brooks was our best player first half but Slimane not really in it. Souza had a good first half but then faded and his legs seemed to have gone by the end. Thought Trusty was ok but Robinson superb and despite getting beat a few times that Larouci did ok. Bogle also continued his improvements. Baldock had a bit of a shocker. Lowe actually did ok save for losing his man twice in key moments but went forward a few times. McAtee and Hamer helped in terms of dribbling, moving us up the pitch and involved in some of the chances we had.

It least now we go into Luton with an unexpected point. Hopefully a few of the players with knocks can start as Wilder said Hamer, McBurnie and McAtee were all carrying things. McBurnie has to play, if fit, due to the size of Luton. Will be tough and they are a physical side with a clear plan but if we can get it into our ball players, think we can create chances as they do concede goals. Lane will be sold out so hopefully we can continue our gradual improvements in performances and I suppose results. I expect Forest will win today (new manager bounce and playing Bournemouth) and then the gap is already way too much for the bottom three. However, at least we are not embarrassing ourselves in games/results at the moment and that is a marked improvement so credit to Wilder for that.

Ratings (ratings may seem low when we got a point at Villa but not sure anyone was amazing – we worked hard and some stood out for defensive work and subs made an impact too)

Foderingham 5/10 – He would have been more a 7/10 till the goal. First half he came off his line well to take through balls and made that smart low save too. No real issues although kicking poor again and the difference between him with the ball at his feet and Martinez was startling. Second half again not really tested too much but then flailed at the cross which of course saw the goal go in that was eventually disallowed. I realise I may be on my own but I was surprised that was overturned. He did have his arm but was it enough? Wes needs to be stronger and just come through everyone. He made another save from a header but then at the end he gets caught nowhere and leaves an easy header into an almost open net. He has to get there and take the lot out. He was really slow to react and it is keepers ball where he simply just punches or even catches it really. He has been criticised a fair bit recently and I have defended saying he is under so much pressure but he has made mistakes now in the last two games which have cost us goals. I think Wilder will look to upgrade in January here if he can.

Bogle 6.5/10 – He has definitely improved under Wilder and his energy levels and appetite for the fight has gone up noticeably. He did some good things with some tackles/cover runs and also got forward a few times and was in good areas but maybe took too many touches when well placed (first half with the cross and then second half when he was clear and came back on himself). He did ok defensively but a few times he left too much space and was guilty of not knowing where his man was. The goal he has to get out to his man quicker too. Silly booking for a poor tackle sees him get a one match ban and off for Christmas!

Baldock 3/10 – Had a bit of a nightmare really. He too was guilty of ball watching and giving his man too much time. On the ball he was careless but then made mistake after mistake second half. The VAR disallowed goal was his fault with a terrible giveaway and then he gave them another chance. Lucky to get away with a possible handball and then switched off at the end when Wes saved the header. Just a very un-Baldock performance but shows that another that we all love but is probably top end Championship and not a Premier League player really as much as it’s hard to say that. Will be back to right back/right wing back with Bogle now suspended.

Robinson 7.5/10 – Thought he was our best player by some distance. Won most of his battles and was solid in the tackle/air. He read the game well and plugged the gaps. Led by example as captain for the day. He has been one of the few this season (maybe the only one) who can say he has been pretty good almost every game. He got caught with the elbow and got in a few other skirmishes too. He was just solid and you feel when the ball goes near him, he will normally deal with it or stop his man. His improvements in the last few years has been remarkable going from a bit of a laughing stock to the first name on the team sheet.

Trusty 6/10 – Some may see this mark as too low but he constantly was losing his man on headers. He got away with a grab on a VAR one early and then lost Konsa who missed a cleat header soon after. He was not able to get goal side. He dd make a few tackles and blocks but he is poor when on the ball and technically surprising how bad he is. Second half again he made a few tackles but again lost his man a few times on set plays and the goal he and Lowe just do not do enough. He has been ok and solid enough but another that is a way off the standard for this league in my opinion but young and could improve. Not helped the defence changing around and him moving positions due to injury either.

Larouci 6.5/10 – It’s strange how earlier in the season when we saw him we said he was out of his depth and needed another left back. Thomas came in and quite soon we realised he was no better. Larouci was back in tonight and Wilder clearly does not fancy Thomas (or Lowe who was taken out) and did ok against a tough opponent. Bailey is quick and direct and did go past him a few times but he stuck to his task, got some good tackles in, and showed a lot of energy. He tired second half and got a booking (that seemed harsh -Carragher said it was the same as the one before when Bailey tried to chop him down 3 times after Larouci’s excellent run – his was just a standard foul so nowhere near the same!). Wisely with fatigue and the yellow, Wilder took him off. He has barely played since the start of the season and had a few injuries so conditioning was always going to be a factor.

Norwood 5/10 – He did make a few interceptions and a couple of ok balls but for the most part thought he was incredibly careless with the ball often just punting it out or kicking it forward to no one. That same ball round the corner or chipped forward was frustrating to say the least as just kept it coming back. The notion is he is an old head who can help us keep it but often this season it has been the opposite and he has tossed away possession routinely. I am sure some will disagree with this mark as he did some ok defensive stuff in a decent shape but it is criminal to just knock the ball away. The kick off at 1-1 was embarrassing too as it resembled a rugby team kicking for touch and it came back instantly! His lack of legs showed as the game went on and he committed a few niggly fouls.

Souza 6/10 – Thought like last week at Chelsea he started ok and made some interceptions and tackles. He was busy and tracked men and marked better than he had earlier in the season. As the game went on thought he started to tire and they had more gaps/more of the ball. He reverted to lots of pointing again! A lot are obviously looking at Wes or Lowe/Trusty on the goal but was the lad his man (central midfielder?). Maybe I am harsh on him here? He is another that has got a bit better but not sure he is that physical for such a big lad and still rarely passes the ball forward.

Brooks 6.5/10 –Our best player in the first half in terms of what he did off the ball. He made 2 or 3 excellent tackles and had one lovely nutmeg again. He did not get on the ball loads but was decent when he did and worked really hard. Again tired after the break and withdrawn but some promise again and better than he was at Chelsea.

Slimane 5/10 –Not really in the game at all. He did not see much of the ball at all and out of possession he tried to cover but struggled to know where to go/be placed positionally. He started kind of wide right but was not able to support Archer and as we saw none of the ball, it was a bit of a struggle and not surprised he came off. Might be better at home if/when we have more ball and attacking play as not sure he will do the defensive stuff that well.

Archer 7/10 – Worked hard and continued his improvements under Wilder. First half had little of the ball or impact and also got caught offside to much (Villa have the best offside record/trap in the league apparently). However, he grew into the game second half and towards the end became a threat on the break with a few runs, a shot blocked and then took his goal really well.

Subs –

Lowe 5.5/10 – Did ok attacking wise with a few runs and the cross that nearly deflected in but on both the VAR goal and the winning goal – he is not concentrating and caught ball watching rather than focusing on his man.

Hamer 7/10 – Positive showing when he came on, got on the ball and helped us get up the pitch. Excellent composure to set up the goal and seemed involved in most of our flurry (!) of attacks in the last 10 minutes. Could he have shot when he had it and Martinez was off his line earlier on?

McAtee 7/10 – Like Hamer, he just made sure we kept it and had some nice runs/dribbles forward and involved when we had those attacks forward. Should have got a shot away near the end though.

McBurnie – Only played briefly at the end and tried to keep it in the corner.

Manager: Wilder 7/10 – A point at Villa is an excellent result despite the late goal and we conceded few chances nor did we get too stretched. I think we were really poor on the ball and the gameplan whilst admirable (similar to how we set up under Hecky but we are just executing it better in terms of covering spaces/blocking gaps) to nullify and we did that, we must at least try and attack. To barely get in the opposition last third or have a shot till the 80th minute is hard to watch but maybe how we played shows where we are at. He did ensure we had a solid base and as I say were not getting run through. He also say we need to work better with the ball and so probably sees it how I did but must frustrate when we concede possession so easily. The plusses are that players like Bogle, Souza and Archer have all improved by a fair bit since he came in and we are now ‘in games. Slowly we are seeing improvements collectively but the gap is already sizeable to the 4th bottom side and you still get a sense about us building for next season really as negative as that sounds. Luton is a must win if we are to have any chance of staying up.

Villa – They have been absolutely flying and of course beat City and Arsenal at home and won 15 in a row. They would have felt confident to get a resounding win and go top of the league and maybe for Xmas with Liverpool playing Arsenal later. However, despite them dominating the ball and clearly they have some good players, they did not create lots and were a bit ponderous in the final third despite having so much of the ball. They also were a bit sloppy at the back and at the end we had a few chances finally, before we did score. Overall, they did enough to win the game with so much of the play and territory but Wes only made a few saves. In the end they did well just to get a point. They will point to some of the VAR decisions and maybe have a point on a few but after the ghost goal a few years ago, it was a bit of payback maybe! They have a very good manager who Arsenal probably got rid of too soon and are a club that has slowly improved since staying up a few years ago and have recruited well. I think they might till miss out on a top 4 place when it all settles down as lack the squad depth of others but to be joint top at this stage is impressive. Tonight, as McGinn said, they probably were brought back to earth a bit.

Opponent Man of the Match – I thought Bailey was a constant threat down the wing and Diaby also showed bits and pieces but Luiz is always he player I like when I watch them. Good on the ball, gets up and down and can tackle. Lovely cross for the goal.

Opponent Weak link – Watkins was quiet tonight I thought and we kept him in check well but the poorest player was the lad Lenglet at the back who when pressured made mistakes.

Referee/Officials – A difficult night really for the officials with lots of appeals/checks. It started early with the appeal for the one on Souza. I am not sure it was enough for a penalty but always a danger when you grab a players shirt – he did go down quite easily I thought (Villa will say that is no different to the Wes one really later I suppose?). The one after from Trusty was not enough I did not feel and the handball for Robinson could not be given as just hit him. I might have missed some as there were so many but onto the 2nd half and they continued. The goal I was surprised was chalked off. Had real contrasting opinions with friends on chats/groups with many saying definite foul but 6 of us in the pub all thought it was soft. He does have his hand but I am not sure there was that much contact and Wes seems to just lose the flight of the ball and is not strong enough. If he just goes through his man and gets hit the fair enough but as I say I was shocked it was given. Also what are the rules on the next stage, we got it back and lost it and then they scored but not sure if there is a time limit or how it works or whether that is just for offside (stages of play)? I know technically it is a foul but then so is the Souza one. Trying to be fair in how I see it. If I was a Villa fan I would be annoyed if that had been disallowed with the inconsistency in the game.

I also was convinced the Baldock handball would be given but maybe it was more breast/shoulder but when I saw it back he seemed to move his hand towards it but maybe the contact was still not right on the arm? Again, just expected it to be given but we seemed to get the decisions tonight. That was until the Duran (more than a reflex!) one on Robinson which although you could argue it was accidental he caught him and cut him. Could easily have been red. The goal at the end we had an appeal for a hand off but they were never going to give that after everything else that happened on the evening. I can see why Villa might be aggrieved as there were a number that went in our favour and could have gone the other way. The stoppage time I felt was a bit longer than needed but I said 7 and they scored right on that so probably wouldn’t have mattered. They did stop for VAR quite a bit and the one on the disallowed goal took ages. It is just frustrating when you have to play essentially 10% almost of a game again!

The rest of the game, Anthony Taylor was just woefully inconsistent. First half he was blowing up for everything and was so stop start (maybe suited us) but then as the game went on, he kind of let thing go and it became a different game. Taking away any bias as a Blades fan, the game was so fragmented because of all the checks/stoppages/delays. It is making the best sport in the world become a different game. I would love us to just scrap it all (just have automated offside and goal line technology) but they have gone too far now so we will be stuck with it.

Good report thanks DB. Just a thought on Lowe, does anyone agree with me he could make a decent LM and effectively be a like for like swap with Brooks? Lowe offers plenty going forward and is decent in the air but positionally loose as full back and tends not to stop the cross.

Cheers Deadbat, thoughtful and balanced report as always. Always enjoy these so thank you for another year of excellent posts. Merry Christmas to you and all.

Thanks for the report Deadbat. I’d take a different view on the analysis of Baldock, if not the score for tonight. This is not his position and whilst previously he has filled in competently as one of the CBs he was found out there today.

I was cross with him at the time when he lost the ball for their goal but in hindsight he was just doing what a RB/RWB would do a few yards to the right and would probably have got away with it.

When he has played in his right position he has very rarely let us down unless judged against Cafu etc. and I think holds his own in a lower end premier league team.

I think that's a bit harsh on the performance. Yes we looked very limited and sat in for the majority of the game, but that was kind of expected with that side out (even though I'd like to see us be better on the ball). Once the subs were introduced I thought we were decent for 15-20 minutes or so, then understandably retreated after taking the lead.

That decent spell may have felt longer than it actually was, but our goal didn't particularly feel like a smash and grab at the time. It felt like we'd been building towards it and the atmosphere had changed in the away end for much of that second half.

Thanks for the report Deadbat. I’d take a different view on the analysis of Baldock, if not the score for tonight. This is not his position and whilst previously he has filled in competently as one of the CBs he was found out there today.

I was cross with him at the time when he lost the ball for their goal but in hindsight he was just doing what a RB/RWB would do a few yards to the right and would probably have got away with it.

When he has played in his right position he has very rarely let us down unless judged against Cafu etc. and I think holds his own in a lower end premier league team.

I tend to agree but he was poor and mistake ridden generally tonight. Maybe a 4 on reflection but can't recall much he did right?

I think that's a bit harsh on the performance. Yes we looked very limited and sat in for the majority of the game, but that was kind of expected with that side out (even though I'd like to see us be better on the ball). Once the subs were introduced I thought we were decent for 15-20 minutes or so, then understandably retreated after taking the lead.

That decent spell may have felt longer than it actually was, but our goal didn't particularly feel like a smash and grab at the time. It felt like we'd been building towards it and the atmosphere had changed in the away end for much of that second half.

Possibly but watching us just punt the ball away for 80 mins was hard to watch. I know we did well defensively and I acknowledge that but I expect professional footballers to pass it 5 yards for more than one pass. The set up was ok and the shape but I felt we just invited pressure time after time. Thought Villa were poor in the final third despite so much ball but that's when we did a lot of good things.

Ratings (ratings may seem low when we got a point at Villa but not sure anyone was amazing – we worked hard and some stood out for defensive work and subs made an impact too)

Foderingham 5/10 – He would have been more a 7/10 till the goal. First half he came off his line well to take through balls and made that smart low save too. No real issues although kicking poor again and the difference between him with the ball at his feet and Martinez was startling. Second half again not really tested too much but then flailed at the cross which of course saw the goal go in that was eventually disallowed. I realise I may be on my own but I was surprised that was overturned. He did have his arm but was it enough? Wes needs to be stronger and just come through everyone. He made another save from a header but then at the end he gets caught nowhere and leaves an easy header into an almost open net. He has to get there and take the lot out. He was really slow to react and it is keepers ball where he simply just punches or even catches it really. He has been criticised a fair bit recently and I have defended saying he is under so much pressure but he has made mistakes now in the last two games which have cost us goals. I think Wilder will look to upgrade in January here if he can.

Bogle 6.5/10 – He has definitely improved under Wilder and his energy levels and appetite for the fight has gone up noticeably. He did some good things with some tackles/cover runs and also got forward a few times and was in good areas but maybe took too many touches when well placed (first half with the cross and then second half when he was clear and came back on himself). He did ok defensively but a few times he left too much space and was guilty of not knowing where his man was. The goal he has to get out to his man quicker too. Silly booking for a poor tackle sees him get a one match ban and off for Christmas!

Baldock 3/10 – Had a bit of a nightmare really. He too was guilty of ball watching and giving his man too much time. On the ball he was careless but then made mistake after mistake second half. The VAR disallowed goal was his fault with a terrible giveaway and then he gave them another chance. Lucky to get away with a possible handball and then switched off at the end when Wes saved the header. Just a very un-Baldock performance but shows that another that we all love but is probably top end Championship and not a Premier League player really as much as it’s hard to say that. Will be back to right back/right wing back with Bogle now suspended.

Robinson 7.5/10 – Thought he was our best player by some distance. Won most of his battles and was solid in the tackle/air. He read the game well and plugged the gaps. Led by example as captain for the day. He has been one of the few this season (maybe the only one) who can say he has been pretty good almost every game. He got caught with the elbow and got in a few other skirmishes too. He was just solid and you feel when the ball goes near him, he will normally deal with it or stop his man. His improvements in the last few years has been remarkable going from a bit of a laughing stock to the first name on the team sheet.

Trusty 6/10 – Some may see this mark as too low but he constantly was losing his man on headers. He got away with a grab on a VAR one early and then lost Konsa who missed a cleat header soon after. He was not able to get goal side. He dd make a few tackles and blocks but he is poor when on the ball and technically surprising how bad he is. Second half again he made a few tackles but again lost his man a few times on set plays and the goal he and Lowe just do not do enough. He has been ok and solid enough but another that is a way off the standard for this league in my opinion but young and could improve. Not helped the defence changing around and him moving positions due to injury either.

Larouci 6.5/10 – It’s strange how earlier in the season when we saw him we said he was out of his depth and needed another left back. Thomas came in and quite soon we realised he was no better. Larouci was back in tonight and Wilder clearly does not fancy Thomas (or Lowe who was taken out) and did ok against a tough opponent. Bailey is quick and direct and did go past him a few times but he stuck to his task, got some good tackles in, and showed a lot of energy. He tired second half and got a booking (that seemed harsh -Carragher said it was the same as the one before when Bailey tried to chop him down 3 times after Larouci’s excellent run – his was just a standard foul so nowhere near the same!). Wisely with fatigue and the yellow, Wilder took him off. He has barely played since the start of the season and had a few injuries so conditioning was always going to be a factor.

Norwood 5/10 – He did make a few interceptions and a couple of ok balls but for the most part thought he was incredibly careless with the ball often just punting it out or kicking it forward to no one. That same ball round the corner or chipped forward was frustrating to say the least as just kept it coming back. The notion is he is an old head who can help us keep it but often this season it has been the opposite and he has tossed away possession routinely. I am sure some will disagree with this mark as he did some ok defensive stuff in a decent shape but it is criminal to just knock the ball away. The kick off at 1-1 was embarrassing too as it resembled a rugby team kicking for touch and it came back instantly! His lack of legs showed as the game went on and he committed a few niggly fouls.

Souza 6/10 – Thought like last week at Chelsea he started ok and made some interceptions and tackles. He was busy and tracked men and marked better than he had earlier in the season. As the game went on thought he started to tire and they had more gaps/more of the ball. He reverted to lots of pointing again! A lot are obviously looking at Wes or Lowe/Trusty on the goal but was the lad his man (central midfielder?). Maybe I am harsh on him here? He is another that has got a bit better but not sure he is that physical for such a big lad and still rarely passes the ball forward.

Brooks 6.5/10 –Our best player in the first half in terms of what he did off the ball. He made 2 or 3 excellent tackles and had one lovely nutmeg again. He did not get on the ball loads but was decent when he did and worked really hard. Again tired after the break and withdrawn but some promise again and better than he was at Chelsea.

Slimane 5/10 –Not really in the game at all. He did not see much of the ball at all and out of possession he tried to cover but struggled to know where to go/be placed positionally. He started kind of wide right but was not able to support Archer and as we saw none of the ball, it was a bit of a struggle and not surprised he came off. Might be better at home if/when we have more ball and attacking play as not sure he will do the defensive stuff that well.

Archer 7/10 – Worked hard and continued his improvements under Wilder. First half had little of the ball or impact and also got caught offside to much (Villa have the best offside record/trap in the league apparently). However, he grew into the game second half and towards the end became a threat on the break with a few runs, a shot blocked and then took his goal really well.

Subs –

Lowe 5.5/10 – Did ok attacking wise with a few runs and the cross that nearly deflected in but on both the VAR goal and the winning goal – he is not concentrating and caught ball watching rather than focusing on his man.

Hamer 7/10 – Positive showing when he came on, got on the ball and helped us get up the pitch. Excellent composure to set up the goal and seemed involved in most of our flurry (!) of attacks in the last 10 minutes. Could he have shot when he had it and Martinez was off his line earlier on?

McAtee 7/10 – Like Hamer, he just made sure we kept it and had some nice runs/dribbles forward and involved when we had those attacks forward. Should have got a shot away near the end though.

Manager: Wilder 7/10 – A point at Villa is an excellent result despite the late goal and we conceded few chances nor did we get too stretched. I think we were really poor on the ball and the gameplan whilst admirable (similar to how we set up under Hecky but we are just executing it better in terms of covering spaces/blocking gaps) to nullify and we did that, we must at least try and attack. To barely get in the opposition last third or have a shot till the 80th minute is hard to watch but maybe how we played shows where we are at. He did ensure we had a solid base and as I say were not getting run through. He also say we need to work better with the ball and so probably sees it how I did but must frustrate when we concede possession so easily. The plusses are that players like Bogle, Souza and Archer have all improved by a fair bit since he came in and we are now ‘in games. Slowly we are seeing improvements collectively but the gap is already sizeable to the 4th bottom side and you still get a sense about us building for next season really as negative as that sounds. Luton is a must win if we are to have any chance of staying up.

Villa – They have been absolutely flying and of course beat City and Arsenal at home and won 15 in a row. They would have felt confident to get a resounding win and go top of the league and maybe for Xmas with Liverpool playing Arsenal later. However, despite them dominating the ball and clearly they have some good players, they did not create lots and were a bit ponderous in the final third despite having so much of the ball. They also were a bit sloppy at the back and at the end we had a few chances finally, before we did score. Overall, they did enough to win the game with so much of the play and territory but Wes only made a few saves. In the end they did well just to get a point. They will point to some of the VAR decisions and maybe have a point on a few but after the ghost goal a few years ago, it was a bit of payback maybe! They have a very good manager who Arsenal probably got rid of too soon and are a club that has slowly improved since staying up a few years ago and have recruited well. I think they might till miss out on a top 4 place when it all settles down as lack the squad depth of others but to be joint top at this stage is impressive. Tonight, as McGinn said, they probably were brought back to earth a bit.

Opponent Man of the Match – I thought Bailey was a constant threat down the wing and Diaby also showed bits and pieces but Luiz is always he player I like when I watch them. Good on the ball, gets up and down and can tackle. Lovely cross for the goal.

Opponent Weak link – Watkins was quiet tonight I thought and we kept him in check well but the poorest player was the lad Lenglet at the back who when pressured made mistakes.

Referee/Officials – A difficult night really for the officials with lots of appeals/checks. It started early with the appeal for the one on Souza. I am not sure it was enough for a penalty but always a danger when you grab a players shirt – he did go down quite easily I thought (Villa will say that is no different to the Wes one really later I suppose?). The one after from Trusty was not enough I did not feel and the handball for Robinson could not be given as just hit him. I might have missed some as there were so many but onto the 2nd half and they continued. The goal I was surprised was chalked off. Had real contrasting opinions with friends on chats/groups with many saying definite foul but 6 of us in the pub all thought it was soft. He does have his hand but I am not sure there was that much contact and Wes seems to just lose the flight of the ball and is not strong enough. If he just goes through his man and gets hit the fair enough but as I say I was shocked it was given. Also what are the rules on the next stage, we got it back and lost it and then they scored but not sure if there is a time limit or how it works or whether that is just for offside (stages of play)? I know technically it is a foul but then so is the Souza one. Trying to be fair in how I see it. If I was a Villa fan I would be annoyed if that had been disallowed with the inconsistency in the game.

I also was convinced the Baldock handball would be given but maybe it was more breast/shoulder but when I saw it back he seemed to move his hand towards it but maybe the contact was still not right on the arm? Again, just expected it to be given but we seemed to get the decisions tonight. That was until the Duran (more than a reflex!) one on Robinson which although you could argue it was accidental he caught him and cut him. Could easily have been red. The goal at the end we had an appeal for a hand off but they were never going to give that after everything else that happened on the evening. I can see why Villa might be aggrieved as there were a number that went in our favour and could have gone the other way. The stoppage time I felt was a bit longer than needed but I said 7 and they scored right on that so probably wouldn’t have mattered. They did stop for VAR quite a bit and the one on the disallowed goal took ages. It is just frustrating when you have to play essentially 10% almost of a game again!

The rest of the game, Anthony Taylor was just woefully inconsistent. First half he was blowing up for everything and was so stop start (maybe suited us) but then as the game went on, he kind of let thing go and it became a different game. Taking away any bias as a Blades fan, the game was so fragmented because of all the checks/stoppages/delays. It is making the best sport in the world become a different game. I would love us to just scrap it all (just have automated offside and goal line technology) but they have gone too far now so we will be stuck with it.
I see this quote all the time that we are stuck with VAR. Why? Does anyone actually want it? Is it solely for tv audiences for dramatic effect? I genuinely don't know.

Interesting report. Highlights a few limitations with some of our players, but does not highlight the tactical input by management?

That aside it was an interesting read for me.

Baldock "handball" would have been a penalty 3 seasons ago but not now because of the new rule stating that it isn't a handball if it doesn't hit below the short shirt sleeve

Subs –

9 minutes was too much, however inevitable. Bizarrely first half it was 2 or 3 minutes despite numerous VAR checks, I've thought for years that timekeeping needs taking off the referee.

Subs –

As a match going fan I hate VAR with a passion and can't wait to get back to the Championship. For the armchair neutral (who are massively in the majority) it adds an extra level of entertainment and discussion, hopefully it won't filter down to the lower leagues.

Saw it the same.

Great defensively, great shape, out of possession i can’t complain too much. Perhaps could have pressed more and won more 2nd balls.

Our possession play though was atrocious and very poor quality. We had no control of the game and in it was a real hard watch. We actually acted like we didn't want the ball for large periods if the game.

If we allow teams of this quality to pen us in for 75 mins of a game they will eventually score, then we are pretty fucked. We should be much better with the ball than we are, try and take some of that pressure of ourselves and disrupt the rhythm of the game more.

Wes - 5 some great saves then a howler for their goal
Bogle - 5 some decent progressive runs and not bad defensively
Baldock - 2 panicked, headless chicken
Trusty - 5.5 fairly solid
Robbo - 6 solid but lots of punting it clear, sometimes under no pressure.
Larouci - 6.5 some great progressive runs and decent defending
Slimani - 3.5 didnt see him do much, never felt he was in the game
Souza - 6 solid
Norwood - 2 just careless, aimless and sloppy all game
Brooks - 6.5 great care on the ball, strength, pace, composure
Archer - 6 good finish and lots of trying

Lowe - 6
Hamer - 6.5
Mcatee - 6.5
McBurn - 3

Terrible player rating. You lose respect by being harsh on players who played well. Yes mistakes were made but the effort organisation and sheer guts from all the players is what won us the point.

Interesting report. Highlights a few limitations with some of our players, but does not highlight the tactical input by management?

That aside it was an interesting read for me.
I do highlight the changed Wilder has made. We are much more solid and compact.

I'm getting hammered for my marks and take on the game in private! One guy says he's setting up a petition to get ne banned for 3 matches from doing reports. These are my mates.🤣
Where can I sign? 😉

Thanks for the report. Don't always agree with your analysis but your memory of what has happened in the game is incredible.

I agree with your assessment of how poor we were with the ball. First half it was especially frustrating as we just seemed to boot it away and often misplaced passes when we did have a chance to build. Along with the fitness issue, this is Wilder's next challenge--he's got us fighting, got us organized, now he needs to work on quality of possession.

I'd be inclined to put more stress on the positives of our defensive display. This Villa team absolutely battered Man City at home and we barely gave them a sniff. I think we even offered more going forward than City did in that game. For that reason I would have marked the defenders higher (with the exception of Baldock, who I agree was poor)--Robinson was immense and I think leading the line in a backs-to-the-wall display like that deserves a higher score.

We're now playing about how I expected we would when we got promoted. Still relegation fodder but not embarrassing ourselves. Credit to Wilder for that.

Thanks DB, largely agree with your report,
Trusty deserved another point, I thought he was fairly solid
Baldock !! what can you say other than he had a bad night and the supposed hand/shoulder appeal was a penalty all day long for me
I though on the whole VAR was mostly giving the right decisions (except for above)
The Robbo' head injury was a sending off.
Brooks is going to be some player!
Hamer & Archer look a good pairing and improve every week
Larouchi, mixed feelings for me, I thought he stood off his man a little too much (maybe he was scared of being skinned),
I'm not sure his defensive qualities are that great, but f**** me he is quick, I wonder if CW might see him as an option for the overlapping wingback role if he reverts to it, I commented last night he reminds me of a poor mans Bogle, not great defensively
but better going forward, and he's quicker than Bolgle.
Wes! we need an upgrade, simple as.
I really really like Suza, he's going to be a big player for us

Thanks again DB and have a great Christmas - roll on Luton, it's going to be another nail biter (except i haven't got any nails left to bite)

Baldock !! what can you say other than he had a bad night and the supposed hand/shoulder appeal was a penalty all day long for me
I though on the whole VAR was mostly giving the right decisions (except for above)
Baldock "handball" would have been a penalty 3 seasons ago but not now because of the new rule stating that it isn't a handball if it doesn't hit below the short shirt sleeve

Danny Hall in the star ratings:-
Wes 8
Bogle 7.5
Baldock 6.5
Robinson 7
Trusty 7
Larrouci 7.5
Souza 7.5
Norwood 7
Brooks 8
Slimane 7
Archer 8
Lowe 7.5
Hamer 7.5
He missed out McAtee & McBurnie
Sure he doesn't attend matches

I'll take a point away at second in the league who've well beaten both London and Manchester recently. So, I saw it as a better performance than you did, but I'll be the first to acknowledge I'm just a fan with very little technical insight.

I was ambivalent bordering on sceptical of Wilder's return, but I have to say the change since Burnley is fairly dramatic. I don't now see us getting steam-rollered again this season.

I will take yesterday's performance gratefully and without complaint. At home to Luton I expect much more, but last night was what we need from the team. We have one of the worst three squads in the league, there's no getting away from it. We aren't going to out play more than 3 teams all season. Getting points however we can get them is what's needed away from home.

I'm impressed with what Wilder's done and how he's conducted himself so far.

Side note: I am pleased to see opposition fans attacking Wilder personally. Rarely if ever happened with Hecky. Demonstrates they now have something to worry about when playing us.

Agree with most of the analysis DB. The marking for me has to reflect what the manager is having to deal with. Namely an inherited squad that has a poor level of conditioning with some players unable to compete two matches running carrying constant injury niggles. Until Matt Prestridge has time to get the players up to EPL standard fitness levels and thats likley not to occur until after the January break then CW has to mix and match every game in terms of team selection and tactics. He alluded to as much after the game when he said we were not ready yet to go toe to toe with teams. When players are not fit in mind and body mistakes occur and passing and control of the ball becomes much harder. I've said all along these players are better than the performances and we are now beginning to see small incremental improvements. Whether we have the time to get up to speed to challenge for that coveted 17th spot remains to be seen. We are at least on an upward trajectory.

Yesterday we rested some key players, brought in some who were isolated under the previous regime who did well and came away with a point none of us expected. We restricted a team flying ready to take over top spot and having won 15 home matches on the trot. We had a good defensive unit, something thats been missing all season and until the aberrations of Foderingham and Lowe in the 97th minute we looked capable of a shock result. For these reasons CW and his team deserve another point.

The turnaround in team discipline/shape on the pitch has been remarkable, 15 minutes aside at Chelsea. Pundits are suddenly suggesting we have an outside chance of staying up. There is a feel good factor around the Club and credit to the management team for that.

Yes the problem of being unable to deal with balls in the air at the back not helped by a goalkeeper whose mistakes are now becoming too frequent persist. Luton will be the hardest game of the season imo. They are everything we have struggled against. Strong in the air, high pressing, midfield players with engines that last all game and physically strong. Biggest test for CW so far and a full house will need to play its part.

I'm getting hammered for my marks and take on the game in private! One guy says he's setting up a petition to get ne banned for 3 matches from doing reports. These are my mates.🤣

In the same way that Christmas wouldn't be the same without Scrooge, this board needs your marks.

I picture you with quill pen poised in your hand;
"Hmmm, Trusty is definitely worth a '7', so do I take off 1, 2 or 3 off that, for the Deadbat factor?"

In the same way that Christmas wouldn't be the same without Scrooge, this board needs your marks.

I picture you with quill pen poised in your hand;
"Hmmm, Trusty is definitely worth a '7', so do I take off 1, 2 or 3 off that, for the Deadbat factor?"
Trusty lost his man for so many headers and his distribution was atrocious. He kept getting the wrong side and for me needed to attack the cross at the end. He is ok but not seeing this great defender others are.

Back
Top Bottom