View from The Sky Blues

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Past history's, size of your Town / City and even the size of your gates don't seem to make a lot of difference in football today.

It's a funny old game...:(

Manchester as a city has a population smaller than Sheffield by about 40,000 bud: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/21397/a01_manchester_factsheet_january_2014, greater Manchester is bloomin huge by comparison though, like West Yorkshire is. We have Sheffield and that's about it in South Yorkshire whereas other places are built up or have more than one large city (Leeds, Bratford)

The problem is that you're comparing metropolitan borough populations, and Manchester metropolitan borough is much more tightly defined than Sheffield metropolitan borough. So, you can live in Stocksbridge and still be counted as being in the population of Sheffield because you're in Sheffield metropolitan borough - despite being 9 miles from the centre of Sheffield and in very much a separate settlement. On the other hand, if you live in Stretford - just 3 miles from the centre of Manchester and very much a part of the same settlement - you don't count as living in Manchester in terms of population, because you're in Trafford metropolitan borough.

Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to compare population figures based upon administrative boundaries, because for historical reasons boundaries are drawn very differently in different areas. If you compare like with like in terms of the size of the single settlement (i.e. include places which are suburbs, like Hillsborough, and Stretford) but don't include places which are separate towns (like Rotherham, and Oldham) then Manchester comes out much bigger.

The problem is that you're comparing metropolitan borough populations, and Manchester metropolitan borough is much more tightly defined than Sheffield metropolitan borough. So, you can live in Stocksbridge and still be counted as being in the population of Sheffield because you're in Sheffield metropolitan borough - despite being 9 miles from the centre of Sheffield and in very much a separate settlement. On the other hand, if you live in Stretford - just 3 miles from the centre of Manchester and very much a part of the same settlement - you don't count as living in Manchester in terms of population, because you're in Trafford metropolitan borough.

Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to compare population figures based upon administrative boundaries, because for historical reasons boundaries are drawn very differently in different areas. If you compare like with like in terms of the size of the single settlement (i.e. include places which are suburbs, like Hillsborough, and Stretford) but don't include places which are separate towns (like Rotherham, and Oldham) then Manchester comes out much bigger.

Actually, if you exclude outlying areas like Stocksbridge, the City of Sheffield is still bigger than the City of Manchester

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_localities_in_England_by_population

Though, the Manchester conurbation is, of course, much bigger.

"At least the weather was good and it was nice of the stadium announcer to say that he hoped we'd be in a stadium that we deserved next season - at least, I think he was being nice..."

Not groundsharing with Nuneaton are they !!! ;)

Actually, if you exclude outlying areas like Stocksbridge, the City of Sheffield is still bigger than the City of Manchester

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_localities_in_England_by_population

Though, the Manchester conurbation is, of course, much bigger.

Another list based upon local government boundaries - in this case those before the re-organisation in 1974. This puts Birmingham as the biggest city in the UK, with Liverpool second....

Birmingham is bigger than London in much the same way that Sheffield is bigger than Manchester..... ;-)

The difference being that those clubs have all won something since Hitler topped himself.

Leicester: League Cup 1963, 1997 and 2000 plus 4 time FA cup runners up and twice League Cup runners up
Ipswich League 1962, FA Cup 1978 and UEFA Cup 1981 plus twice League runners up
Derby: FA Cup 1946, League 1972, 1975
Bolton: FA Cup 1958 plus League Cup runners up 2004
Coventry: FA Cup 1987
SUFC: zilch

Why is 1945 the critical point from which we measure things that might show us how big or small a club is? Football has been around for a much longer time than that, and Sheffield United have won more trophies than any of the clubs you mention in your post.

Why is 1945 the critical point from which we measure things that might show us how big or small a club is? Football has been around for a much longer time than that, and Sheffield United have won more trophies than any of the clubs you mention in your post.

It's all subjective, but given that there must be very few people alive today who can remember United winning anything, I think it's entirely fair to judge the "bigness" of a club now (as opposed to ninety years ago) on the basis of trophies won within living memory.

It's all subjective, but given that there must be very few people alive today who can remember United winning anything, I think it's entirely fair to judge the "bigness" of a club now (as opposed to ninety years ago) on the basis of trophies won within living memory.

So you really think Blackburn Rovers are bigger than us because they won the premier league in the 1990s and we haven't won anything for 89 years, and yet still have far better support than them?

So you really think Blackburn Rovers are bigger than us because they won the premier league in the 1990s and we haven't won anything for 89 years, and yet still have far better support than them?

It's not really what I think, it;s what is thought generally.

If you did a survey and asked people who was the bigger club, United or Blackburn, I think 90% + would say the latter.

It's not really what I think, it;s what is thought generally.

If you did a survey and asked people who was the bigger club, United or Blackburn, I think 90% + would say the latter.

I don't. Most people I speak to don't even remember that they have won the premier league title.

Are Fulham bigger than us? We've both won nothing, but they've been in the premier league longer than us in the last 40 years, and they've been in Europe!

I don't. Most people I speak to don't even remember that they have won the premier league title.

Are Fulham bigger than us? We've both won nothing, but they've been in the premier league longer than us in the last 40 years, and they've been in Europe!

Most people can remember Fulham and Blackburn being in the PL for substantial periods. SUFC haven't been.

That's all, sadly, then tends to count these days.

Fulham have also reached an FA Cup final and Europa League final in the last 40 years.

Most people can remember Fulham and Blackburn being in the PL for substantial periods. SUFC haven't been.

I don't think that's true. I think people view a club by it's ground and it's support.

I do think United fans tend to have some delusions of grandeur. To most fans of most other clubs, we are not a "big club".

Where did I say we were a big club? We're not. But we are also not small and we are less small than Blackburn and Fulham.:)

Where did I say we were a big club? We're not. But we are also not small and we are less small than Blackburn and Fulham.:)

As I say, it's all subjective and unless someone does a survey, we are all just going on hunches!

As I say, it's all subjective and unless someone does a survey, we are all just going on hunches!

I think you are right that it is all subjective. If it matters to you it's important and if it's important it must be big!

On a completely unrelated subject, for some strange reason I am feeling a bit for Bristol Rovers at the moment. Probably because I live in the West Country. But them going down seems a bit like Burnley's near miss in the 1980s.

No, he's actually suggesting that Cov are a "bigger club" than SUFC. That suggestion is risible. It never has been so and never will be. They are very small beer compared to us.

I'd say they were a much "better" club in the 90s and early 00s. Sustained premiership footy for years, something the Blades have never done.

I think that's true of the bloke in the office who says he's a Manchester United fan but has never actually been (and I accept a lot of football fans fall into that category) but in terms of the people who actually go to games, my experience is that most tend to take an interest in crowd sizes, and have a pretty good understanding of which are the 'bigger' clubs and which are the clubs which have had some success, often due to a wealthy benefactor, but actually have a much smaller fan base.

I think in most fans' minds our rightful position is as one of that group of Championship clubs which makes occasional forays into the Premiership.

I think the majority of opposition supporters see us as a firmly Championship side in terms of stature. We have ridiculous potential though which is why the hopefully HRH decided to invest in us. Like it or not, Wednesday are certainly viewed as a MUCH bigger club, which we of course know is patently bollocks.

On the point of:
"Got to say it I'm a skyblue fan through and through but after being at Sheffield today I've seen how low this club has fallen from grace teams like Sheffield United can beat us is a reality check Coventry is the the 10th biggest city in England for god sake"​

Surely he/she is being sarcastic? Why else would he put the bit about Cov being the 10th biggest city in England?

I'd say they were a much "better" club in the 90s and early 00s. Sustained premiership footy for years, something the Blades have never done.

That depends whether you think football began in the 90s. Fans of my vintage regard Cov as pretty insignificant and nowhere near SUFC.

I would like to think that if we had had an unbroken spell in the premier league stretching from the late 1960s to the early 2000s we would have managed to get significantly more people through the turnstiles than Coventry did - especially as we often managed to beat their average attendances whilst in a lower division than them. Sometimes two divisions lower, and on one occasion three divisions lower.

That depends whether you think football began in the 90s. Fans of my vintage regard Cov as pretty insignificant and nowhere near SUFC.

Coventry were overwhelmingly more successful than United between 1967 and 2001. They were in a higher division than us in 25 out of 34 seasons. You'd have to be pushing 60 to remember Coventry as being "nowhere near" United.

Coventry were overwhelmingly more successful than United between 1967 and 2001. They were in a higher division than us in 25 out of 34 seasons. You'd have to be pushing 60 to remember Coventry as being "nowhere near" United.

I'm pushing sixty!

The usual Bladey Blade inverted snobbery vastly underestimates our club. I was one of over 40,000 who saw us play Cardiff and Watford in the second division. We are a bigger club than many in the Premiership and recent departures: Fulham, Wigan, WBA, Bolton, Blackburn, Swansea, Cardiff, Soton, Norwich, Palace, Hull, Stoke.

We'll need to extend the stadium to accommodate the crowds when we return to the Premiership.

Football has a history before Sky Sports and Coca Cola!

Back
Top Bottom