View from the pub: West Brom away

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
Genuinely don't know how to put this into words.

The scene was set in the second minute when an offside Robinson bundled home via his arm. We knew exactly what West Brom were about yet did precisely nothing to combat it. They looked like scoring from every set piece with Verrips a bag of nerves under the high ball and two 6' outfielders (I'm discounting Berge as he's beyond woeful in the air) outnumbered and outgunned.

I had a debate with moDtheGod about whether we were outplayed. I stick by my view that we weren't but there are serious alarm bells ringing now about both the team's capabilities and the selections.

For what it's worth...

Verrips 3: it was abundantly clear what West Brom were going to do and he was powderpuff but his defence had to help him out and they didn't. One howler, one half decent save

Baldock 3: tried to get us going but was too often pinned back
Egan 2: stop chewing gum, John, and concentrate on defending
Basham 4: gamely stuck to his task
Robinson 1: own goal, daft corner given away for the second. Did absolutely nothing with the ball.
Osborn 2: got forward when he could but let's be honest, at £3.5m we overpaid by £3m. Weak, poor positioning, can't pass

Fleck 2: think Jimmy has taken over.
Norwood 1: summed up by that free kick at the end. Does he have long Covid or long shitness?
Berge 2: the ability to be the best player in the league, but precisely none of the requisite desire. Heart of a pea.

Sharp 4: beautiful through ball and battled gamely with Barkley even if he didn't win much
McGoldrick 2: bad Didzy is back. Missing sitters, giving the ball away in daft areas. Inexcusable to miss the target at 1-0

Subs:
Freeman 6: at least tried to make things happen
McBurnie 4: should have had an assist
Burke 1: ran the ball out AGAIN then hid for the reminder of the game

Jokanovic 2: what the fuck mate. West Brom's modus operandi is not difficult to apprehend but we picked about the shortest XI possible. No pace in the starting team to beat the press. No belief to beat a man. Big warning signs: we're in a relegation battle if we don't sort this out.

Back
Top Bottom