Victor Palsson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

cooperblade

Reaction score
On loan from Liverpool is the latest rumour on BladesMad. Young Icelandic midfielder.

Used to be a striker, then defensive mid, and now a cb. interesting stuff.

A ‘Star in the Making’ – Victor Palsson
Posted on Thursday, 15th April 2010 by David Tully

It has effectively only been three years since he was playing at a small club in Iceland but Victor Palsson is somewhat making a name for himself in the Liverpool reserves this season. The Icelandic defender/midfielder started out life as a footballer with Fylkir in his native Iceland before his talents were picked up by Brian Steen Nielsen, sporting director of Danish club AGF Aarhus . He signed a three year contract with AGF in 2007 and played regularly for the club’s youth team. During this time Palsson, whose father is Portuguese, also played at youth level for Iceland picking up caps at U17, U18 and U19 level.

It was here that Liverpool scouts took note of the talented defensive midfield player. They gave the player a trial back in October 2008 and the coaching staff were impressed enough with Palsson’s abilities that they wished to sign the player permanently from AGF. Palsson had yet to break into the AGF starting eleven and had only recently been promoted to the first team squad but the Reds were keen to bring the player to Anfield. The young Icelandic midfielder jumped at the chance and he signed for Liverpool in a deal worth over £300,000 back in the 2009 January transfer window.

Palsson signed a two and a half year contract until 2011 with the Reds and played his first game in January last year in the Liverpool reserves against Manchester United, playing fifteen minutes as a substitute. The youngster has not lost time in making an impression at the Merseyside club, and he has become a key player in the Liverpool Reserves this season playing more at centre back, rather than in his preferred position in central midfield. Certainly his strengths lie in the defensive third, he is a superb tackler, is very strong on the ball and has excellent aerial ability, all attributes that make for an excellent central defender.

As a youngster though, Palsson ambitions lay further forward, in a recent interview he tells of his conversion to a more defensive role:

“I was always a striker when I was younger and I also played some games as a right winger. It was only when I moved to Aarhus that they turned me into a defensive player. I’d like to say I still have an eye for goal, but it doesn’t seem to be the case!”

So in fact Palsson started off life as a striker, converted into a defensive midfielder in Denmark and now plays at centre back for Liverpool. At 6ft 1, Palsson not only has the footballing skills but the physical attributes to play the position. It has certainly been the case this season as at centre back, he has been a strong partner for either Daniel Ayala or Chris Mavinga as the Reds Reserves seek another Premier Reserve League title. Palsson fully appreciates the honour of playing for Liverpool and he still can’t quite believe he is playing for such a big club:

“It’s only two years since I was playing for a small club back in Iceland, so this is a bit of a dream come true to be here…. Iceland is a very small country so everyone seems to know who the footballers are. It’s also a big thing for one of us to be involved with Liverpool… It’s a fantastic club with incredible facilities. Just being here can help make you a better player. The coaching is great and with so many top players around you, it’s hard not to learn and develop your game.”

A player who not many had heard of before signing for Liverpool last year, has really stepped up to the mark this season and the 19 year old will hope he can progress further in the coming years.

Gone somewhere else...

Looks like we've missed out to Dagenham & Redbridge....

Back
Top Bottom