VAR favouring top teams

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
After the complete and utter failure of officials and technology last Wednesday, tonight we saw the system work in favour of the top teams again. Man City, already two up, play the ball into the box and Aguero and Mee go for the ball. Aguero goes down in a heap and stays down. Half hearted appeals, if any, for a penalty but ref waves play on and the ball gets cleared. Man City build another attack down the left and, some 30 seconds later, as one of the players looks to cross the ball into the box, he realises Aguero is still down so he kicks the ball into touch and they call the trainer on. After treatment, play doesn't resume but the ref has obviously been told they are checking the penalty box challenge and you see the previous City build up and contact between Mee and Aguero. After a couple of minutes and endless slow motion replays you can say it was just about a foul but if you watched in real time even the commentators said a ref would never give it. The ref never went to look at a screen but took advice from Stockley Park. Dyche looked bemused as did the Burnley players. Aguero went off injured but he has hurt his knee in the challenge and not a direct result of the contact from Mee. The process was the exact opposite of what happened last week at Villa and highlights the inconsistency of a system designed to eradicate inconsistencies. Ok, Man City would have won anyway but that is not the point. No one will complain about poor Burnley. The authorities and Sky just want the title race extending as much as possible.
I am still angry about last week and still don't believe the Hawkeye explanantion, or any explanation come to that, other than sheer incompetence all round.

After the complete and utter failure of officials and technology last Wednesday, tonight we saw the system work in favour of the top teams again. Man City, already two up, play the ball into the box and Aguero and Mee go for the ball. Aguero goes down in a heap and stays down. Half hearted appeals, if any, for a penalty but ref waves play on and the ball gets cleared. Man City build another attack down the left and, some 30 seconds later, as one of the players looks to cross the ball into the box, he realises Aguero is still down so he kicks the ball into touch and they call the trainer on. After treatment, play doesn't resume but the ref has obviously been told they are checking the penalty box challenge and you see the previous City build up and contact between Mee and Aguero. After a couple of minutes and endless slow motion replays you can say it was just about a foul but if you watched in real time even the commentators said a ref would never give it. The ref never went to look at a screen but took advice from Stockley Park. Dyche looked bemused as did the Burnley players. Aguero went off injured but he has hurt his knee in the challenge and not a direct result of the contact from Mee. The process was the exact opposite of what happened last week at Villa and highlights the inconsistency of a system designed to eradicate inconsistencies. Ok, Man City would have won anyway but that is not the point. No one will complain about poor Burnley. The authorities and Sky just want the title race extending as much as possible.
I am still angry about last week and still don't believe the Hawkeye explanantion, or any explanation come to that, other than sheer incompetence all round.

VAR not needed to get involved as GLT didn’t signal a goal.

VAR not needed to get involved as GLT didn’t signal a goal.
VAR did need to get involved because it was a goal, and there are a group of men whose specific job is to monitor the game on TV screens and ensure fairness.

They could see what everyone else on the planet watching the game could see. While we all watched the replays, stunned at the travesty, they also watched and knew it was a goal.

They had the evidence, they had the brief to ensure fairness and they had the ability to tell the referee. To say that VAR didn't need to get involved is totally ludicrous and completely opposite of the case.

VAR did need to get involved because it was a goal, and there are a group of men whose specific job is to monitor the game on TV screens and ensure fairness.

They could see what everyone else on the planet watching the game could see. While we all watched the replays, stunned at the travesty, they also watched and knew it was a goal.

They had the evidence, they had the brief to ensure fairness and they had the ability to tell the referee. To say that VAR didn't need to get involved is totally ludicrous and completely opposite of the case.

I think something was lost in translation there...

Think this Is how it goes, and it's protocol not common sense BTW that dictated a comedy of errors last week..

VAR checks every goal.

The Hawkwye system indicates a goal when the ball crosses the line, which in turn permits (gives permission) VAR to check the goal and lead up to it for infringements.

Hawkwye didn't register the ball over the line and protocol kicked in, play resumes and whatever stockley park see can not be officially reviewed as there wasn't a "goal"..

This dogmatic protocol has been instantly amended following our game, or so I've been told..

OK, we've been victim to look at this with common sense, and that some shift manager at stockley park would hit the VAR button and intervine, however, they would have been acting outside thier regulations and possibly in breach of clearly set out guidelines from the Premier league, so the start and end of the problem lies with Hawkwye, who, let's be honest have shrugged thier shoulders and gone "meh" providing nothing but silence for damage limitation purposes..

They hadn't got the system turned on, they are incompetent... Blame hawkeye, that's the top and bottom of it..

I thought it was Man City who get all the VAR decisions?

Or is it Man City and Liverpool?

Or is it all just paranoid nonsense?

Maybe a bit of everything. But Liverpool were given that name ages ago. Personally, beyond us getting repeatedly screwed, I don't know that other teams have benefitted that much.

I think something was lost in translation there...

Think this Is how it goes, and it's protocol not common sense BTW that dictated a comedy of errors last week..

VAR checks every goal.

The Hawkwye system indicates a goal when the ball crosses the line, which in turn permits (gives permission) VAR to check the goal and lead up to it for infringements.

Hawkwye didn't register the ball over the line and protocol kicked in, play resumes and whatever stockley park see can not be officially reviewed as there wasn't a "goal"..

This dogmatic protocol has been instantly amended following our game, or so I've been told..

OK, we've been victim to look at this with common sense, and that some shift manager at stockley park would hit the VAR button and intervine, however, they would have been acting outside thier regulations and possibly in breach of clearly set out guidelines from the Premier league, so the start and end of the problem lies with Hawkwye, who, let's be honest have shrugged thier shoulders and gone "meh" providing nothing but silence for damage limitation purposes..

They hadn't got the system turned on, they are incompetent... Blame hawkeye, that's the top and bottom of it..
VAR does not need to wait for Hawkeye to get involved in the game. If they see a red card incident that the ref hasn't seen, they can stop the game and make the decision. If the ref decides to play on after a penalty box collision, (like last night) they can stop the game and make a decision. If they have seen the ball has gone over the line but the ref hasn't seen it, there is no way they cannot get involved.

As the debate around this topic has shown, it isn't just a case of blaming hawkeye.

Many people have also blamed the ref as he was in charge of the game.
Others have blamed the Assistant ref too.
Others have blamed Dean Smith, the goalkeeper etc
And of course VAR has come in for criticism.

None of these actors should be operating in isolation as silo'd jobsworths waiting for someone else to take responsibility.

Most incidents are controversial in part because there are differing subjective viewpoints on interpretation. In this case, I don't think there has been a single voice anywhere, at any time saying it wasn't a goal. So that is not in dispute.

We have a team of people specifically created to provide another 'pair of eyes' and endure fairness and consistency. If they really sat on their hands because it would breach some protocol to say something then they were shirking their responsibilities to do the right thing.

Would VAR not intervene to give handball by the defender? Or did that not count due to the ball being off the pitch (over the line) at the time?

I'm so confused

Can we now replay the Villa game, followed by the barcodes game... Please!?

VAR does not need to wait for Hawkeye to get involved in the game. If they see a red card incident that the ref hasn't seen, they can stop the game and make the decision. If the ref decides to play on after a penalty box collision, (like last night) they can stop the game and make a decision. If they have seen the ball has gone over the line but the ref hasn't seen it, there is no way they cannot get involved.

I'm talking about dogmatic protocol regarding VAR involvement, the differences are clear on the other on field calls, as for Goals the Hawkwye must register the ball over the line before VAR has permission to review.. No other incident that will occur on the pitch during play has a secondary piece of technology except goal line tech, Hawkwye doesn't register the ball over the line, VAR has no permission to intervene..

Any other explanation, meant those at Stockley Park just stood around pissing themselves, taking the risk they'd get in the shit..

When sky cameras catch it inside 30 seconds and a whole system sees nothing, my eyebrows get raised..

The geundozi incident is the one that confirms it for me ,to say they can't charge him because even though the ref didn't see it var did and decided not to act is a new get out clause for incidents such as this and yet another instance where technology just adds more people and more chance of corruption or favouritism than before

Time to scrap it and go back to a ref and two linesman ,at least we knew who to blame

HA! This all reminds me of the incident earlier in the season when the ref intercepted the ball that lead to a Man City attack and goal, then the following week the ref intercepted the ball and blew straight away to prevent the same thing happening in our favour. And yet against all the odds we're still fighting for Europe (I may amend the word 'fighting' if the performance on Wednesday is wank).

Most incidents are controversial in part because there are differing subjective viewpoints on interpretation. In this case, I don't think there has been a single voice anywhere, at any time saying it wasn't a goal. So that is not in dispute.

Of course it was a goal and should have been given......
But those arguing that Sheffield United have been 'screwed over by VAR' were doing so before that incident took place.
Why were they arguing that?
I think PeterNdlovu081 puts it perfectly as 'Paranoid nonsense'.

I see people on here complaining about the goals Sheffield United have had disallowed by VAR this season.....
Even though they were objective and correct decisions. 4 Goals were offside and 1 a result of handball.

Sheffield United have had the most VAR overturns, because referees have unfairly and incorrectly awarded Sheffield United goals.
That does not seem like 'Referees favoring the big clubs' to me.

mmmmmmm VAR didn’t look at our goal despite protests.......mmmmmmVAR looked at the Man City one like after we’ve all had time to eat a Big Mac mmmmmmm

Paul Tierney’s famous on wiki reads

On June 17, 2020, Tierney was the match VAR official for the first Premier League game after COVID-19 between Aston Villa and Sheffield United. A clear own goal was scored by the Aston Villa goalkeeper when he inadvertently fell over the goal line after catching the ball. The ball can be seen clearly over the line from multiple video replays. Hawk eye did not went off and the VAR did not review the non goal.

I see people on here complaining about the goals Sheffield United have had disallowed by VAR this season.....
Even though they were objective and correct decisions. 4 Goals were offside and 1 a result of handball.

Sheffield United have had the most VAR overturns, because referees have unfairly and incorrectly awarded Sheffield United goals.
That does not seem like 'Referees favoring the big clubs' to me.

Apparently it's all a conspiracy to get Man Utd in the Champions League.

Imagine if we scored a last minute equaliser against Man Utd tomorrow. It would definitely go to VAR and be overturned.

Oh wait.

🙄

Apparently it's all a conspiracy to get Man Utd in the Champions League.

Imagine if we scored a last minute equaliser against Man Utd tomorrow. It would definitely go to VAR and be overturned.

Oh wait.

🙄

VAR is evidently there to keep the 'top clubs' up there, Arsenal flying high in 10th.
Can't believe it's a coincidence that Leeds will probably be back at this level next season two.

Hawkeye didn’t register the goal so VAR kept quiet. Hawkeye upto then had been 100% so for them to stop the game and question whether the whole ball had gone over the line could have people raging why the game was stopped when GLT said no goal.

Premier League refs have always favoured the bigger clubs, that's where the money is.

Don’t remember much of a conspiracy against you when Declan Rice had “handled” the ball.

Whilst I don't agree there is a conspiracy, the West Ham disallowed goal wasn't controversial. It clearly hit his hand. The only controversy is the rule itself.

If there was a conspiracy McBurnies equaliser against Man U would have been disallowed.

Premier League refs have always favoured the bigger clubs, that's where the money is.

So why have those referees favoured Sheffield United more than any other club this season?
(5 goals wrongly given before VAR came to the correct decision).

So why have those referees favoured Sheffield United more than any other club this season?
(5 goals wrongly given before VAR came to the correct decision).
Exactly, wrongly given!

Tougher to get away with it now when it's got to go through another system.

Exactly, wrongly given!

Tougher to get away with it now when it's got to go through another system.

What?
Now you're arguing against your point.

You said....

"Premier League refs have always favoured the bigger clubs, that's where the money is."

The referee, on the pitch, wrongly awarded Sheffield United 5 goals so far this season, the most in the league.
How is that helping the big clubs?

So you're complaining that it's a conspiracy, yet agreeing that it was a foul and therefore the penalty decision was correct?

Back
Top Bottom