Up. Down. Unbelievable! Jamie Hoyland pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Up.Down.Unbelievable.
A Chat With @HoylandJamie about his time at his beloved blades. The Great Escape season 30 yrs ago, Derby Days, cup runs, Bassett's ways, crazy teammates. Lots of laughs and great stories.

Great podcast. These are getting better and better.

Jamie comes across as a real genuine guy and true Blade. Fantastic memory of so many events.

I was shocked to hear him mention at the start about his 'late' brother Andrew. Andy was in the year above me at school and a decent player. The year he was in had some really good players and I'm sure there were about 7 who represented Yorkshire schoolboys. When you consider the number of schools in Yorkshire, for one school to have so many was quite impressive.

I think the school expected that team to make a real go of winning the English Schools FA Cup. But it wasn't to be.

There's a thread somewhere on here about Dick Bate. Bate came to our school a few years after these lads had left. If he'd been appointed at that time who knows some of those lads could have gone on to make a living out of the game.

Andy played for England schoolboys and I remember an assembly at school him going up on stage to collect his England cap.

People said that Andy was a good player but his younger brother was much better and of course Jamie made the grade (so many don't).

Thanks for the podcast.

Great podcast. These are getting better and better.

Jamie comes across as a real genuine guy and true Blade. Fantastic memory of so many events.

I was shocked to hear him mention at the start about his 'late' brother Andrew. Andy was in the year above me at school and a decent player. The year he was in had some really good players and I'm sure there were about 7 who represented Yorkshire schoolboys. When you consider the number of schools in Yorkshire, for one school to have so many was quite impressive.

I think the school expected that team to make a real go of winning the English Schools FA Cup. But it wasn't to be.

There's a thread somewhere on here about Dick Bate. Bate came to our school a few years after these lads had left. If he'd been appointed at that time who knows some of those lads could have gone on to make a living out of the game.

Andy played for England schoolboys and I remember an assembly at school him going up on stage to collect his England cap.

People said that Andy was a good player but his younger brother was much better and of course Jamie made the grade (so many don't).

Thanks for the podcast.
Andrew was a great player,cultured centre half with a sweet left peg, overall a better player than Jamie, but he just didn’t want to be a pro
Had a very successful career in teaching,was as fit as a butcher’s dog,shatteringly passed away from a sudden heart attack
He was my cousin
RIP

BUMP!

An excellent pod that deserves a wider listen, given that McBurnie and Ramsdale have overtaken Jamie in the top Blades scapegoat ranking.

I didn't realise what a big Blade he was, going away to watch us a kid and even being at Blackburn in 1990 ("Billy's gonna get ya"). ..

He's got a great sense of humour and knows he wasn't a crowd favourite, so mentions Praise or Grumble " 'Shouldn't have picked that 'Oyland today' and that were me dad"

Interesting that he thinks that we prepared wrongly for the cup semi final, that never happened. He says they treated it like a cup final, but they'd have been better at Elland Road with more of a 'muck and nettles' approach.

Lovely bloke. I always rated him as a player but I love him even more now as a 100% Blade. Given all the toy throwing on here, we could do with a few more like him.

One or two surprising picks in his best XI of players he has played with.

Thanks for the effort of setting up the pod and a great listen.

"Up, down, unbelievable"; indeed!

BUMP!

An excellent pod that deserves a wider listen, given that McBurnie and Ramsdale have overtaken Jamie in the top Blades scapegoat ranking.

I didn't realise what a big Blade he was, going away to watch us a kid and even being at Blackburn in 1990 ("Billy's gonna get ya"). ..

He's got a great sense of humour and knows he wasn't a crowd favourite, so mentions Praise or Grumble " 'Shouldn't have picked that 'Oyland today' and that were me dad"

Interesting that he thinks that we prepared wrongly for the cup semi final, that never happened. He says they treated it like a cup final, but they'd have been better at Elland Road with more of a 'muck and nettles' approach.

Lovely bloke. I always rated him as a player but I love him even more now as a 100% Blade. Given all the toy throwing on here, we could do with a few more like him.

One or two surprising picks in his best XI of players he has played with.

Thanks for the effort of setting up the pod and a great listen.

"Up, down, unbelievable"; indeed!
I've known Jamie since he was a nipper or whippersnapper as he was called, believe me, bigger Blade as you'll meet and emotional with it. As apparent in the pod cast he's rode the rollercoaster with the best of us.

Back
Top Bottom