United Season Review & School Report 21-22 - Part 6 Midfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
2021/22 SUFC SEASON REVIEW / SCHOOL REPORT

Rest of week will be posted as below

Part 7 Attack

Part 8 Final awards / Conclusions

Midfielders

*Note – I have included Gibbs White and Ndiaye in as forwards – I know they play in more of a ‘10’ role but they are more forwards than midfielders

Oliver Norwood, like Egan seems to be the one mainstay. Sure, he has the odd game out but whilst others such as Basham, Sharp, McGoldrick Fleck and Baldock due to injury and non selection have not been the regulars they were, he and Egan have continued to be more or less regulars. He was a mainstay under Slav and Hecky. I did feel the start of the season whilst he had some ok games, recall many asking for him to come out but I do feel the way we played did not help him. Have heard him say since that he ended up being I the middle of the defence and they would go from the back but when we lost it, he ended up badly exposed. He almost seemed too deep and would get exposed when teams would run at us as we did not have protection in either the midfield or defence. Blackburn away was one game where they just cut us apart. His passing remained decent but at times he overplayed or tried the diagonal too much. His set plays also were mostly poor. He still was always looking for the ball and did not hide. His defensive side still was a concern as he would routinely pull his man down and not run back which was quite frustrating.

Things did change for him, like for so many others when Hecky came in and we went back to a more familiar formation and the midfield were not exposed as much. He started to improve and was a key man as we moved up the league. He was far from perfect still with some bewildering passes straight to the opposition or petulant bookings when he could/would not run back but his passing became more direct and forward thinking and I recall 2 or 3 superb games where he was man of the match. His set plays improved and he even got a goal (finally). He did not have a regular partner/s as Fleck, Hourihane, Berge all rotated but he remained in the side throughout. I remember the game at QPR where he was superb and for once every single set play seemed to find the intended target. Also played well in the vital game v Fulham but then as he had in the league struggled with the mobile and busy midfield of Forest who pressed him and he had a mare at the Lane but regained his credibility with a good showing at the City Ground.

He is a player that still seems to divide opinion but overall, I think he offers far more positives than negatives and I do believe when he plays well, we tend to also. I do believe he had always been the same sort of player but we need to give him more protection/legs in midfield (not sure Fleck quite does that anymore) and with another year, I still expect him (with Egan again) to be a regular in the side. He is not someone who will be part of a Premier League side and despite one good season there, he lacks the pace/physicality to be at this level and you can kind of see why teams moved on from him but there is no doubt he is and has been a very good Championship player and for 5 seasons (next season his 5th) he will have been a great servant for the club.

Grade B (Last season F+)

John Fleck
A player whose form just went completely after the lockdown and he carried this on with a really frustrating season where he not quite the level he had been. He’d have odd games where he was excellent but these were few and far between and had a few knocks so like many players they never properly got going as we meekly went down. I thought he never seemed properly fit and wanted him to have a good pre season and come back the player of old but it never really happened and it was all a bit stop start for him again as he began the season but then was in and out for a bit. He was very patchy but played well in the odd game (Peterborough he was superb) but there were many other games he was anonymous and Hourihane then came in and there was a period just around the worrying collapse at Reading/Hecky coming in, where he was then out of the team.

Those two did well for a spell and he had to wait until he was back and cleared for action after this incident to play (we never heard any more related to him collapsing by the way but of course cannot be seen as anything serious as was back not long after). He returned to the side at Birmingham but they tended to rotate him and Hourihane more than Norwood who remained the one regular. When he played well (Boro) you really sensed we were a different team. At times he would still go missing but then he would burst into life but it has not been as consistent although he had a good spell around March time where he linked with players and Stevens got back in which seemed to help him. Still had fade outs in games though and his fitness continues to be an issue. He would have one decent game and then one poor one and this trend seemed to continue. The Forest second leg saw glimpses of the Fleck of old and he got into the box to score too.

Still does not score enough goals (two this season including Forest) is frankly appalling for the more attacking of the two midfielder in the centre area and at times his final ball is badly lacking too but now and again he will carry it still and show he can run with it. I do think his performances remain very much in the category of you are not sure what you are going to get and even though he has been a fantastic player for us, I actually am not sure I would say he is an automatic pick in there. The issue is despite some of the great things he can do, both him and Norwood get run past and do not have the physicality in terms of pace and power so it is hard when you play mobile and fast midfielders who expose their lack of running ability. Watching him just pull someone back or kick out when they run away is not great and shows his lack of fitness too as much as pace. He needs a big summer as for me I would be looking to address some of the aforementioned weaknesses in this area. Hourihane was not the answer and just offered us more of the same so we need to look at this. I still think he has a role and has another year left of his deal but we do need to see some level of consistency – maybe in a contract year this may happen?

Grade C (Last season E)

Conor Hourihane A player that first came to prominence at Barnsley after being in the lower leagues at Plymouth. Did well when Heckingbottom was at Oakwell. He was a star man for them and I think nearly signed for Wednesday once before finally ending up at Villa. He never really fully established himself there and was in and out but at times showed his quality with his left foot, particularly from set plays. When they went up, he got a new three-year deal too. He did not play hardly at all in the top flight and ended up on loan at Swansea but did not impress there and was back with Villa this season. As we looked for reinforcements, he came in to sign for us in January – maybe Hecky was involved in this, even if he was not manager at this time. I was not sure of the signing – an older player who lacked pace and knew his next contract would be his last decent one at this level. I also thought he was quite static, lacked pace and the physical side and whilst a tidy player – would he unseat Norwood and could they play together?

As it turned out he came in and made his debut at home to Peterborough off the bench and got his first start at Hull. Did little in open play but two great set plays gave us something we had not had before and set up Egan for two headed goals. He rarely started for the next few months and recall one game where he was abysmal and I think taken off? With Fleck having injuries and then of course having the worrying medical situation at Reading, he ended up starting under Heckingbottom and oddly him and Norwood worked well together as they were solid, functional and did not give it away. They protected the defence and we had a run of wins. He did not offer the goal threat we hoped (no goals scored and barely a shot/free kick towards goal) but saw some good crosses/deliveries from open and dead play. In games he did not cover loads of ground but read it well and I thought just gave some solid, intelligent performances. He sort of rotated with Fleck and then we went back to Fleck and Norwood for the most part and he was mainly used from the bench. Still, he got the huge goal with a brilliant finish at QPR with his only touch! Played sparingly in the playoffs.

He is out of contract, and like Davies not sure I would sign him. Think we need more pace, fluidity and something different to compliment Fleck and Norwood in there. I am sure he may still get a deal at Championship level. He is a decent, solid player but believe we need more from this area of the field. He is a bit safe and does not do enough to influence games both ways. Still, he was a significant part of our run up the table either side of Xmas and after starting poorly, he did turn some fans opinions round. His comments post play off exit suggested he was told we would not be pursuing bringing him back but then there were some reports saying we may consider it. Not for me.

Grade D+ (Last season NA)

Sander Berge I thought that after a less than convincing start he was one of our better players in the second season in the Premier League and at times stood out as a bright spot in a dreadful run of results. He got injured against Manchester United in December and we did not see him really for a period until right at the end. By this time, we were down. Overall, I am not sure we had quite seen the impact we expected though for someone who cost so much. Lots of promise and his power and running ability was something that when he got in full flight was hard to stop but he was quite timid and games would pass him by too much. Seemed to lack the aggression and real drive to consistently influence games. A nice player with bags of ability but we did not see it anywhere enough. I think last summer, whilst acknowledging he should stand out at the lower level, I would not have been upset if we sold him, so long as we got out money back or hopefully made a bit. There was some rumoured interest from a few teams such as Arsenal and I think Napoli but nothing happened and I can only think the bids were very low.

So, he remained and the opening day even though we lost he was our best player as Birmingham players could not hold him up. He looked a beast as he drove through and the main threat in a poor showing from the side. I thought in the opening games he always looked the one most likely to make things happen as he played wide right and caused defences problems. He scored against Preston in a game and teams were worried when he ran with the ball. He then picked up an injury and was withdrawn from the starting line up v Hull. Seemed a knock but then he sort of disappeared for a period as the injury was worse than first thought. Some cynically suggested he did not want to play and scupper a move by getting hurt. He was not back in until long after Slav left and recall he came on against Bristol City and Fulham right at the end but did not start again until the cup tie at Wolves and was poor here and at Derby the following game in two poor defeats. He was in and out but played in the defensive midfield role at Huddersfield but struggled as Norwood was rested but then was more influential as he was back out wide right or the side of a three as we beat some of the playoff challengers at home. He was very good in a number of games showing those gliding, slalom runs and being involved in and scoring some goals in this run. He did have a few nothing sort of games too but as we started to get so many injuries you always thought him, MGW and Sharp were the main players who may get us something in terms of creating or scoring.

He never seemed to moan or mope but there were games when I wanted him to do so much more and he would coast too much. I know he cannot run at defences every time but I wanted him to be more forceful in what he did even if it was his passing rather than the rather safe sideways tap or backwards ball. When he went at teams, they could not stop him and he looked like a parent v a child in a dads v lads’ game! As the season finished he started to become more consistent though and a main man in the side. He got back in the Norway side and remained one of our most important players even with these fade outs in odd games. He was one of the better players in the three late wins to end the season and one of few who came out with any credit in the home leg v Forest and ironically was not as involved in the return but did set up a goal and score his penalty.

As for the summer, I still think despite being contracted for a while, that he may move on. I think a side may give us our money back and we would be right to move him on as we do not have any assets over say 10 million in the club and that money would be important with us being in the last year of parachute payments the season after next. He seems a really nice lad and I think he can have a decent career. There is bags of potential there but not sure he quite has the drive or inner belief to go on and be a top, top player. I think he is more suited to a slower pace in a European league and he maybe regrets coming here now after it sort of all went wrong not long after he arrived with the teams drop off and covid of course. I bear him no ill feeling – it just was the wrong sort of signing at the time and maybe a few years ahead of where we actually were (we needed solid established Premier League players to keep us there rather than maybe young potential like him and Brewster). We will see what happens but I am not sure I expect him at the Lane come August.

Grade B- (Last season C)

Ben Osborn
One of those left field signings Wilder made. He was not a regular at Forest but United took advantage of him having a year left in his contract and was signed as a squad player. That first season he barely played until towards the end of the season as we got a few injuries. Last season he featured more than he should have done. He was ok but lacked the quality, pace and physicality needed at the top level. I thought the move down the Championship would see him more comfortable but it was hard to know what is his bets position is as he has played wide left, central midfield, played as a forward type player in those final Premier League games and left back/left wing back. Add in right wing back this season too! In that sense a great player to have around as he can do job for you but also not having a fixed position is also a concern as means you are not good enough to be a regular started in any!

He began the season at orthodox left back but dithered on the Birmingham winner. He played at West Brom but was then taken out and we did not see him start until the Peterborough game where he and the team played really well. Osborn scored two goals too! He played most games after this in a few different positions down the left but the team and he, were up and down. He never hid and had some decent games but some where he would not offer much too. He scored again at Barnsley with a decent finish but after the defeat at Blackburn, he was out as a starter for a period only playing again at Wolves I believe. He did not feature again other than the odd sub appearances until he came on and did well v Forest at right back and followed this up with a good display against Middlesbrough. He then was back out as players came back and with RND and Stevens doing well and Berge, Fleck, Norwood and Hourihane holding down and rotating the midfield, he became a bit of a bit part plug in sub. He then filled in again at right back and did ok in a series of games to close the season but then struggled with pace and slipped for a vital error v Forest.

I have always quite liked Osborn as a bloke and as a player. He has some funny tweets and interests in music/literature/politics seem quite different to most other players! He was out of contract this season but a bit like Robinson, we re-signed him for a year as a cover/squad player and I am ok with that. I do not see him as a regular starter for us moving forward but is a handy lad to have around as he can play so many positions and cover in lots of areas.

Grade C (Last season C-)

Luke Freeman It gets forgotten that after we signed Mousset, Robinson, McBurnie, that he was for a brief period our record transfer. It was a sizeable fee and you expected after he had been QPR’s player of the season and always showed promise when I had seen him, he would have some sort of impact at the Lane. A player I always liked and rated when he faced us. However, Wilder’s change of formation to a flatter 3 meant he only had a few games early on in the Premier League and then sort of disappeared. We barely saw him last season as he went on loan to Forest and then got injured and did not impress. He seemed to be always on the treatment table. He came back here and as we had less options, Jokanovic gave him a chance and he played in the two league cup games and scored against Derby. I was still not exactly convinced with him and he looked overweight and unfit. He showed a few glimpses with the ball but was not exactly secure in possession and defensively, he offered very little at all. He came off the bench at West Brom and Luton and actually did ok in that game and was one of our stand outs, albeit in a poor performance. He came on against Peterborough in the big win but after this he sort of disappeared as we brought in Hourihane and Gibbs White. I then think he got another injury somehow before not seeing him until he was back on the bench at Fulham and then a brief but unimpressive cameo against Wolves in the cup where he got booked and looked so far behind the play.

Not long after this he was linked with a few Championship clubs and seemed set to be signing for Luton and also was linked with Reading but eventually ended up at Millwall. I am not sure he even played a game even as sub for them and surprise, surprise he got injured and they like most of the other clubs he has ‘represented’ in the last 3 or 4 seasons, did not see him. Maybe he is unfortunate and gets a lot of injuries but his conditioning and commitment to the game seem poor. He does not seem in shape and the fact he has barely started a league game or string together even a few appearances (starting or off the bench) for 3 clubs is quite damning. He has made just 15 league appearances in 3 seasons for the Blades.

He has only just turned 30 so should be in his peak but looks a player that will just move down the leagues and it was not a surprise when his release was confirmed. A player who seems to have a fair bit of skill and talent (seen this for other clubs) and given a great opportunity at a big club and he did not take it. I expect he will end up in League 1 or 2 next season and would not be shocked if he is in non-league by the time his next contract is up, if any club are daft enough to give him one.

Grade E- (Last season NA)

Zak Brunt
A player whose youth career was heavily scrutinised as he moved around a fair bit and maybe made some poor decisions but ended up in non-league football at Matlock before United took a chance on his talent. He impressed as he became a regular for the u23’s and seemed to be being pushed towards the first team even at the end of last season as we blooded some youngsters in the squad as we were pretty much relegated by Easter. Like others with the lack of recruitment and midfield being an area that was particularly lacking in bodies, Brunt got some game time pre season and then he started and did ok against Carlisle. He played against Derby too but thought he struggled with the pace of things. He did end up playing more of a defensive role when by all accounts he is more of an attacking midfield. He was not awful but seemed a bit off the first team from the limited evidence we saw. Just seemed neat and tidy/functional but lacked pace and physicality that we needed in this area so not sure he would offer much more than Fleck, Norwood and then Hourihane.

In October he went to Southend joining u23 teammate Lopata. He did well at Roots Hall and whilst Lopata perhaps gained more favourable reviews, Brunt did well enough that in his 12 games, they moved up the league. In January, United decided to end his loan as there was a chance for him to play for a higher placed club and one more local, in Notts County. It seemed a logical move, even if it It may have irked Southend supporters. The move did not work out and probably all parties regret it now as he was not really involved much and struggled to make an impact. I would have expected him to have stood out at this level but it had been mixed. He is 21 this year and I think he signed a 2-year deal in 2020 so his contract seems to be up? Not sure whether we will retain him if that is the case. If he does have another year then he needs to play regularly on loan next season probably at a level higher than the National League, if he has a chance of making it here but it seems he has not quite pushed on in the last year in the way he/the club would have hoped – compared to maybe Lopata and Neal.

Grade D (Last season NA)

Adlene Guedioura
When he signed for United it was his 14th club! He was certainly well travelled. It seemed after the early season struggles, Slav needed someone he could rely on and maybe a confidante on the field. His signing seemed bizarre as he had been playing at a poor level with Jokanovic in Qatar. Even with it being a short team deal, the fact he was soon to be 36 and when he last played for Forest, their fans said his legs had gone was a concern! It just seemed an odd move. We had been linked with lots of other ‘talents’ and when he signed you realised the direction we were probably going as a club. He was not fit for a while but then came on and did well at Hull. Liked how he got stuck in and gave us some physicality.

He got a start against Southampton and I thought did well. He was better on the ball than I remembered and was not as slow as I envisaged. He was back on the bench at Boro but then he never appeared in the match day squad. I actually thought he did ok and if he had been fit would have maybe used him a bit especially as we were lacking tenacity in this area. Apparently, he picked up an injury and never seemed to be available after that. I did wonder if it was an appearance related contract? When Jokanovic moved on, you sensed that was curtains for him and so it proved as a small announcement on the club website said they had terminated his contract by mutual consent in early February. I forgot he was still here! That sums it up. He then surprisingly turned up at Burton and played a few games and scored at Hillsborough in a heavy defeat. He then was only on the bench and not used as much. Maybe he got injured again? It was only a short-term deal so expect he will be looking for his 16th club in the summer!

Grade D (Last season NA)

The rest

Regan Slater
Slater had been seen as one of Wilder’s ‘projects’ and someone he rated playing him when he was only 17 at Ipswich in the cup. His tackle and spirit impressed Wilder and was deemed a prospect we were quite excited about. Sadly, he had a number of loan spells that did not work out lower down the leagues and was never a regular, until he got maybe a surprise move to a team higher up in Hull. Eventually after just being a squad player, he got in the side and did well as they got promoted. It seemed like he may go there permanently (his dad seemed to indicate they wanted that to happen!) but a deal was not done and he came back and was back involved in the u23’s (scored a good goal against Wednesday I saw at the Lane) but a way from the first team. Both Jokanovic and Heckingbottom did not seem to fancy him despite some poor performances to start the season and lack of midfield cover and the fact Slav played Brunt, Freeman and then Guedioura showed that Slater’s career was probably at an end at the Lane.

Eventually, he moved to Hull full time on a 2-and-a-half-year deal but the manager was sacked straight after. However, he has played a fair bit including a game at the Lane, where I have to say I barely noticed him. Hull will remain in the Championship and he is playing at a good standard so good luck to the lad. Think it was the right move him leaving though as was never going to play much here at all and maybe did not quite go on and show that promise Wilder saw in the early days.

Ismael Coulibaly
He is now 21 and his career seems to be at a crossroads. Last year when I wrote this, I discussed that the 6 footed, powerful midfielder was a prospect that was intriguing not only Blades fans but some other clubs around the world if rumours were to be believed linking Serie A clubs! Some sources said United turned down a 10-million-pound bid from AC Milan?! Originally from Mali, he was spotted playing youth football over there and signed by Norwegian side, Sarpsborg 08 at only 19 years of age. He had only played 27 games either side of two seasons when the Blades signed him in September, 2020. It is unclear how much he actually cost. Some sites have it close to 2 million and it seems fairly certain it was a 6-figure fee. It was a surprise as outside of the Berge signing (who was more well-known) United had not really ventured outside the UK apart from the two punts on Zivkovic and Retsos that did not really come off.

Apparently, Galatasaray and Club Brugge were both linked with him but he wanted to play in the Premier League and saw this move as a chance to do that, agreeing to be loaned out to the Blades sister club Beerschot firstly before he could play for the Blades. It seemed he needed to spent some time in Belgium before he would be eligible for a work permit but even now there is uncertainty if he can come over. His first season in the Juniper League he began really well as the newly promoted season had a really good start and were the surprise package of the league and were right near the top for a period. In a game against Anderlecht late December, he was up against the jewel of Belgium football Albert-Mboyo Sambi Lokonga, who is currently on the radar of Monaco, Barcelona and Man City with a fee of £35m quoted, Coulibaly supposedly dominated his opposite number in a 1-on-1 battle between the pair.

He did not maintain his form as the side dropped off but was still seen as a player with great potential and one that seemingly offered characteristics that the current midfield at the Lane did not offer in box-to-box play, goalscoring threat and some power in the engine room. He ended up out of the side and a long way from the talent the so-called top teams were allegedly courting and barely played till the season end. He finished the season appearing in 22 games and scoring 5 games but has not started since early March. At the end of that season though, Galatasaray were linked with him for around 12.5 million.

Moving onto 21-22 and after a good season for him and the club, it all went wrong for both player and club. Beerschot were awful and ended up changing managers as they were firmly anchored at the foot of the league. Couliably suffered with a few injuries and loss of form and was not really involved in the first team for a long period. In October he gave an interview where he said he was struggling and even that he’d had enough of football. He did not play at all from November to February, with a back injury. The meteoric rise he had experienced had crashed spectacularly and his future was not uncertain and a long way from those big money links only a few months/season ago.

There were talks about how the relegation would mean we ‘may’ not be able to bring him to United due to the visa situation then changing as a result of the lower league his club played in. The Blades actually brought him over to train with the club in March time and was seen on the videos the club produces of them training. Clearly, they wanted to look at him. He did end up back in and around the Beerschot squad and made a start in a game in mid-April and did ok apparently.

He has one year left but if the permit rules have changed, then United may have no choice to bring him over (or sell him but seems his market value is minimal now after not playing for a poor side at the bottom of a poor league). Maybe he can then go on loan in League 1 or 2. He does seem a long way from being even a Championship squad player from looking in on the outside. The club will have a decision to make this summer but not sure what the benefits of him are now of playing in the Belgian 2nd league and his career over there seems to have regressed in the last season.

Oliver Arblaster
One of the young players that seems to be very well thought of and has come through the ages and playing almost ages above considering his age. He was pushed through the u18’s to the u23’s – although still played some u18’s games -recall him shouting, ‘Sheffield’s red and white’ at full time after a win against our city rivals at Shirecliffe. He had some time at Bradford Park Avenue and has been part of the England u18 set up too. He then was involved in first team training and he got on the bench for a few games around March time which must have been fantastic to be part of a first team squad. It showed what the coaches think of him and his future for such a young lad. Looked very good in the final I saw against Charlton too and seemed to just slow things down and make time for himself. I box to box player who was good on the ball. Hecky singled him out as someone he feels will definitely play for the first team for United. A big Blades fans and a Sheffield lad and what a fantastic name! Hopefully he can continue to push on but he is only just 18 (May) so lots of time for him to continue to develop.

Next season

Things are less certain in midfield than maybe defence? Freeman goes and Osborn stays but probably as cover. Hourihane will not be brought back either you would not think. Also, not sure we will see Coubilaly after they looked at him last season. So left in terms of starter level we have the three who for the last 2 seasons, when everyone is fit, have been the choice as a trio; Berge, Fleck and Norwood.

I do think Berge will move on – he remained this season as we did not get the bids we wanted in order to allow him to leave but now clubs will know United need to recoup funds and cut the wage bill and maybe will sniff around him even cheaper. I think if a club offered us 15 million or above – he would be allowed to go. If that is the case, then we are left with Fleck and Norwood. Again. I think after they both started poorly, that Norwood came on strong and had an excellent second half performance of the season. Fleck was more up and down but the scare and fitness/injury issues did not help him. I think he needs to get a lot fitter as he looks like his legs have gone at times. Both have a year left and will still end up starting a number of games – Norwood especially but we have to get some legs in and around them to help them. The lack of box to box midfielders, athleticism and physicality in here needs addressing. We need more mobility and also more goals. You would hope we would target at least 2 or 3 in this area and seems the one department we need to improve in terms of quality and depth.

Player / Position Years remaining (contract expires) Red this year – Orange next year - Green longer contract –

Midfielders

Luke Freeman Out of contract (2022) – released

Ben Osborn 1 year (2023)

Ollie Norwood 1 year (2023)

John Fleck 1 year (2023)

Ismael Coulibaly 1 year (2023)

Sander Berge 2 years (2024)

Youngsters involved in 1st team last season or loans out (contracts unknown if not stated)

George Broadbent 1 year (2023)

Zak Brunt 1 year (2023)

Harrison Neal 1 year (2023)

Oliver Arblaster 2 years (2024)

Return to loan club:

Conor Hourihane to Aston Villa (out of contract at Villa)

The rest

Regan Slater Slater had been seen as one of Wilder’s ‘projects’ and someone he rated playing him when he was only 17 at Ipswich in the cup. His tackle and spirit impressed Wilder and was deemed a prospect we were quite excited about. Sadly, he had a number of loan spells that did not work out lower down the leagues and was never a regular, until he got maybe a surprise move to a team higher up in Hull. Eventually after just being a squad player, he got in the side and did well as they got promoted. It seemed like he may go there permanently (his dad seemed to indicate they wanted that to happen!) but a deal was not done and he came back and was back involved in the u23’s (scored a good goal against Wednesday I saw at the Lane) but a way from the first team. Both Jokanovic and Heckingbottom did not seem to fancy him despite some poor performances to start the season and lack of midfield cover and the fact Slav played Brunt, Freeman and then Guedioura showed that Slater’s career was probably at an end at the Lane.

Eventually, he moved to Hull full time on a 2-and-a-half-year deal but the manager was sacked straight after. However, he has played a fair bit including a game at the Lane, where I have to say I barely noticed him. Hull will remain in the Championship and he is playing at a good standard so good luck to the lad. Think it was the right move him leaving though as was never going to play much here at all and maybe did not quite go on and show that promise Wilder saw in the early days.

Ismael Coulibaly He is now 21 and his career seems to be at a crossroads. Last year when I wrote this, I discussed that the 6 footed, powerful midfielder was a prospect that was intriguing not only Blades fans but some other clubs around the world if rumours were to be believed linking Serie A clubs! Some sources said United turned down a 10-million-pound bid from AC Milan?! Originally from Mali, he was spotted playing youth football over there and signed by Norwegian side, Sarpsborg 08 at only 19 years of age. He had only played 27 games either side of two seasons when the Blades signed him in September, 2020. It is unclear how much he actually cost. Some sites have it close to 2 million and it seems fairly certain it was a 6-figure fee. It was a surprise as outside of the Berge signing (who was more well-known) United had not really ventured outside the UK apart from the two punts on Zivkovic and Retsos that did not really come off.

Apparently, Galatasaray and Club Brugge were both linked with him but he wanted to play in the Premier League and saw this move as a chance to do that, agreeing to be loaned out to the Blades sister club Beerschot firstly before he could play for the Blades. It seemed he needed to spent some time in Belgium before he would be eligible for a work permit but even now there is uncertainty if he can come over. His first season in the Juniper League he began really well as the newly promoted season had a really good start and were the surprise package of the league and were right near the top for a period. In a game against Anderlecht late December, he was up against the jewel of Belgium football Albert-Mboyo Sambi Lokonga, who is currently on the radar of Monaco, Barcelona and Man City with a fee of £35m quoted, Coulibaly supposedly dominated his opposite number in a 1-on-1 battle between the pair.

He did not maintain his form as the side dropped off but was still seen as a player with great potential and one that seemingly offered characteristics that the current midfield at the Lane did not offer in box-to-box play, goalscoring threat and some power in the engine room. He ended up out of the side and a long way from the talent the so-called top teams were allegedly courting and barely played till the season end. He finished the season appearing in 22 games and scoring 5 games but has not started since early March. At the end of that season though, Galatasaray were linked with him for around 12.5 million.

Moving onto 21-22 and after a good season for him and the club, it all went wrong for both player and club. Beerschot were awful and ended up changing managers as they were firmly anchored at the foot of the league. Couliably suffered with a few injuries and loss of form and was not really involved in the first team for a long period. In October he gave an interview where he said he was struggling and even that he’d had enough of football. He did not play at all from November to February, with a back injury. The meteoric rise he had experienced had crashed spectacularly and his future was not uncertain and a long way from those big money links only a few months/season ago.

There were talks about how the relegation would mean we ‘may’ not be able to bring him to United due to the visa situation then changing as a result of the lower league his club played in. The Blades actually brought him over to train with the club in March time and was seen on the videos the club produces of them training. Clearly, they wanted to look at him. He did end up back in and around the Beerschot squad and made a start in a game in mid-April and did ok apparently.

He has one year left but if the permit rules have changed, then United may have no choice to bring him over (or sell him but seems his market value is minimal now after not playing for a poor side at the bottom of a poor league). Maybe he can then go on loan in League 1 or 2. He does seem a long way from being even a Championship squad player from looking in on the outside. The club will have a decision to make this summer but not sure what the benefits of him are now of playing in the Belgian 2nd league and his career over there seems to have regressed in the last season.

Oliver Arblaster
One of the young players that seems to be very well thought of and has come through the ages and playing almost ages above considering his age. He was pushed through the u18’s to the u23’s – although still played some u18’s games -recall him shouting, ‘Sheffield’s red and white’ at full time after a win against our city rivals at Shirecliffe. He had some time at Bradford Park Avenue and has been part of the England u18 set up too. He then was involved in first team training and he got on the bench for a few games around March time which must have been fantastic to be part of a first team squad. It showed what the coaches think of him and his future for such a young lad. Looked very good in the final I saw against Charlton too and seemed to just slow things down and make time for himself. I box to box player who was good on the ball. Hecky singled him out as someone he feels will definitely play for the first team for United. A big Blades fans and a Sheffield lad and what a fantastic name! Hopefully he can continue to push on but he is only just 18 (May) so lots of time for him to continue to develop.

Next season

Things are less certain in midfield than maybe defence? Freeman goes and Osborn stays but probably as cover. Hourihane will not be brought back either you would not think. Also, not sure we will see Coubilaly after they looked at him last season. So left in terms of starter level we have the three who for the last 2 seasons, when everyone is fit, have been the choice as a trio; Berge, Fleck and Norwood.

I do think Berge will move on – he remained this season as we did not get the bids we wanted in order to allow him to leave but now clubs will know United need to recoup funds and cut the wage bill and maybe will sniff around him even cheaper. I think if a club offered us 15 million or above – he would be allowed to go. If that is the case, then we are left with Fleck and Norwood. Again. I think after they both started poorly, that Norwood came on strong and had an excellent second half performance of the season. Fleck was more up and down but the scare and fitness/injury issues did not help him. I think he needs to get a lot fitter as he looks like his legs have gone at times. Both have a year left and will still end up starting a number of games – Norwood especially but we have to get some legs in and around them to help them. The lack of box to box midfielders, athleticism and physicality in here needs addressing. We need more mobility and also more goals. You would hope we would target at least 2 or 3 in this area and seems the one department we need to improve in terms of quality and depth.

Player / Position Years remaining (contract expires) Red this year – Orange next year - Green longer contract –

Midfielders

Luke Freeman Out of contract (2022) – released

Ben Osborn 1 year (2023)

Ollie Norwood 1 year (2023)

John Fleck 1 year (2023)

Ismael Coulibaly 1 year (2023)

Sander Berge 2 years (2024)

Youngsters involved in 1st team last season or loans out (contracts unknown if not stated)

George Broadbent 1 year (2023)

Zak Brunt 1 year (2023)

Harrison Neal 1 year (2023)

Oliver Arblaster 2 years (2024)

Return to loan club:

Conor Hourihane to Aston Villa (out of contract at Villa)
We definitely need a couple of young, fit, box to box midfielders to help out Norwood.
The times Norwood and Fleck struggled to get back and finished up trying to foul the opposition was embarrassing.

You have correctly excluded MGW & Ndiaye from our mf coz they have not actually played there for ages.
And you reckon Berge is leaving.
But without those 3 , our mf looks like an old car that struggles to get going + which coughs & splutters at the slightest gradient.
So it's very hard to assess where we stand in mf.
Presumably we will get some strikers , so Ndiaye can slot back into mf , which gives us some pace , tenacity & invention.
If Berge stays , he can add power BUT ONLY IF HE APPLIES HIMSELF.
I like to see some potential for goals in my midfielders + both Ndiaye & Berge have some.
So with those two , we probably need 1 additional big athlete.
I will get pelters for this but Osborn , Norwood & Fleck are not good enough for a promotion team , if that's what we want to be.
I love Osborn's effort but he gets brushed aside due to lack of stature. I suppose he might stay if we need LB cover.
Fleck is way too inconsistent now , we see more Jimmy than John - he ALWAYS starts the season unfit + his legs are definitely going ... He just can't keep up with the opposition + offers nothing in the air. He can't beat a man to put in a cross.
Norwood has never had any legs to run with the ball or offered anything in the air but has in the past been redeemed by his passing & tackling.
However , these days his corners and dead balls are mainly crap and his shooting appalling - Mr Ping can NEVER keep his shots under the bar (apart from once this season).
When they both play , our mf often gets over-run in embarrassing fashion.
They have a year left on good money + will coast along , which we can't afford to happen.
If we can keep Ndiaye & Berge , I'd like us to bite the bullet + ship out the jaded pairing of Norwood & Fleck - we need some fresh blood in mf + we won't be renewing their contracts next summer anyway.
They've ridden the upsurge since 2016 + the subsequent carcrash + mentally it must all seem like a boring anticlimax for them now.
Wilder talked about PACE , POWER & ATHLETICISM. He talked the talk but didn't walk the walk.
It's about time we had an injection of that into our mf , coupled with some skill of course.
Yes , those two turned it on at Forest in the 2nd leg , but you know that you're not gonna see that on a regular basis , especially without MGW driving the rest of the team on.
My overall impression of our season is moving the ball TOO SLOWLY through the thirds to pose enough problems for opposition defences (unless MGW has it). And the reason is our ponderous mf.
So having shipped out these two (with our thanks for the memories) I'd like to see 2 new mf brought in - an MGW type and a tough box to box hard-tackling type.
If we lose Ndiaye & Berge , we'll be up shit creek.
What happens in mf will make or break our season.

I think as the post on my strikers review alludes to...Burke and McBurnue don't seem to have much of a future and both or one will go on loan. Jebbison and Osula should go on loan also.

Leaves us with Sharp & Brewster. Both coming off injuries and might not be fully fit.

We will need at least TWO strikers and TWO midfielders even if Berge stays. I would say whilst we lack cover at the back there are pieces that can be moved around, Stevens, Robinson, Osborn, Bash but we lack badly in midfield and attack.

We need legs and power in midfield as we are slow and get run through at times. Up front we need some physicality for when we play different and also some more pace as Brewster is not quite the speedster we all envisaged even with the improvement we saw for a month or so.

I'd say we could go into next season with the same defence give or take but we need to bring in starting quality in a midfielder and striker. I'd rather we used much of our budget on getting these two players. We won't spend any transfer fees so you'd think it's another Premier loan and a free.

Back
Top Bottom