United 4 Cardiff 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The distance covered one is interesting
If Doyle, McAtee and Illy had played the full 90, they would have better figures I feel sure.

Personally, watching from afar, I thought Berge had on OK game in most regards.

I am, though, baffled how a near 2m tall 85ish kilo player gets bullied off the ball so easily.

His Viking forefathers would be embarrassed.

I thought Cardiff were really poor worse than Wigan infact.
They didn't create anything, every chance they had was from a mistake by us.
That was probably the worst Home performance by us in a long time but we still won 4-1 I think that says it all how bad Cardiff are. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went down.
So many of our players had an off day yesterday Ndiaye, McBurnie, Bogle, Lowe.
We got away with one yesterday due the the fact the opposition were poor, let us hope we buck our ideas up for Tuesday and Anel is back.

Not the most comfortable performance and at times the game was definitely in the balance
I would probably have started with Clark at the back
At this stage it’s all about the points, winning and not drawing matches has been a real bonus.
The league is much of a muchness, lots of physical, organised teams with the odd quality player, we just have a bit more, big squad and good mix of experience and young players.
Great 3 points in the end and sets us for the next 3 home matches, so all good

The berge argument, surely one thing everyone can agree on - played high as an attacking midfielder, where he drives at teams into the box, there isn’t a side in this league who can come with him. On the other hand play him deep and he’s slow, soft and plays the easy option after 5 or 6 touches.

Keep him further forward and we’ve got a top player.

That was probably the worst Home performance by us in a long time but we still won 4-1 I think that says it all how bad Cardiff are. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went down.
We got away with one yesterday due the the fact the opposition were poor, let us hope we buck our ideas up for Tuesday and Anel is back.
What about the shot that shook the bar from Wickham? Also, they tried to attack, which 75 per cent of our 'visitors' just avoid like the plague.

The berge argument, surely one thing everyone can agree on - played high as an attacking midfielder, where he drives at teams into the box, there isn’t a side in this league who can come with him. On the other hand play him deep and he’s slow, soft and plays the easy option after 5 or 6 touches.

Keep him further forward and we’ve got a top player.
Everyone ?

Not moi.

Berge is a deep lying playmaker. A very good one.

Said this before a boat load of times. We shoehorned him into that RCM role out of “necessity”. A role he had never done before.

Because he is technically good footballer, he managed to grow in to this role and prove effective at it.

But make no mistake that he is a Paul Coutts / Oli Norwood type.

UTB

I thought Berge was poor and stand by what I wrote.

I knew some disagree. The stats can be thrown out but the assists are misleading as one hit him, was the other a pass to McAtee who then did the hard work.

I've not gone in on him like some and think he has played better recently but today he did not do enough in my opinion. I thiughtnhe looked sluggish and defensively got run oast quite a few times.

One great ball to Ndiaye snd the rum at the end but none sure I recall many other moments where I was thinking that's excellent Berge. He was too safe and did not force them back enough.

I would not criticise at the game but I have called how I saw him today which I appreciate lots might not agree.
Spot on Berge yet again brought very little to the party.Infuriating player ideally should be playing further forward.Gave possession away many times allowing Cardiff to break quickly, piss poor passing, can’t head a ball and abysmal shooting.oh and rarely wins a tackle.
Be better suited to the Prem
UTB

What about the shot that shook the bar from Wickham? Also, they tried to attack, which 75 per cent of our 'visitors' just avoid like the plague.
That was just about the only one, and if you watch it back we should have even cleared that before it got to Wickham.

Everyone ?

Not moi.

Berge is a deep lying playmaker. A very good one.

Said this before a boat load of times. We shoehorned him into that RCM role out of “necessity”. A role he had never done before.

Because he is technically good footballer, he managed to grow in to this role and prove effective at it.

But make no mistake that he is a Paul Coutts / Oli Norwood type.

UTB
I’d say we put him into that role further forward because he wasn’t very good when played deeper.

He is technically very good I agree no doubt about that 👍

Davies made one great save which he was partly at fault for (I know most will blame Bogle but keeper should come and clear as he can see the danger) and one punch away but outside of that:
Can't believe anyone would try to blame Davies for that, it's Bogles ball all day long. Bogle needs to play the ball, not the man. Simple rule in that position, get rid.
Watch it again, from where the ball is played, the keeper doesn't have a chance of getting to it first.
It could have been Burnley all over again.

Goodness knows I'm no Berge fan but I'm surprised at the kicking he's been getting up and down the forum after yesterday, I thought he was good. Albeit getting an assist for blocking a goal bound header with his arm, in an offside position, is very generous indeed.

Bogle is simply utter dreck and Lowe isn't much better. Kudos for the three lads in the middle for playing out of their skins with those two clowns on the flanks. Very harsh in Egan there too I thought, he was cracking yesterday.

I thought Berge was poor and stand by what I wrote.

I knew some disagree. The stats can be thrown out but the assists are misleading as one hit him, was the other a pass to McAtee who then did the hard work.

I've not gone in on him like some and think he has played better recently but today he did not do enough in my opinion. I thiughtnhe looked sluggish and defensively got run oast quite a few times.

One great ball to Ndiaye snd the rum at the end but none sure I recall many other moments where I was thinking that's excellent Berge. He was too safe and did not force them back enough.

I would not criticise at the game but I have called how I saw him today which I appreciate lots might not agree.
Updated to dispel the myth of backways and sideways !!

UTB

78E84756-7334-4F78-90FB-68EDC7459B73.png

When Nigel Clough came to the club, he said something like "United fans are a crowd who love a tackle, that's what will get this ground off its feet". He was absolutely spot on, it's in our DNA as a club (whatever that means) to be a team of triers who love to put their foot in. I like that about us, I think it's representative of the city to some extent.

But I also think we massively overvalue perceived effort (and it's definitely perception not reality that's important - James Beattie could toss it off for ten minutes and then make a meaningless 40 yard sprint to close down the keeper and the crowd would go nuts and sing his name).

If you put together the things the coaching staff say about Sander in private and the comments on here, there's no way anyone would think you were talking about the same player.

It's quite funny really. Chelsea's management and scouting department think he'd be a good loan signing for them but United fans don't rate him as highly as they did Bob Booker.

Does he have weaknesses in his game? 100%. If he didn't, he'd be playing for someone like Manchester City every week and he'd never have signed for United.

I agree with others who've said it's a modern phenomenon that everything has to either be amazing or shit.

I'm only guessing that this means he's bad but "Bogle is simply utter dreck" sums it up nicely. What about "Bogle was arguably one of the most important players in our side at times earlier in the season but he's suffered a loss of form recently and is struggling" :)

Great report. All about opinions as usual. Davies isn't Wes but I thought he had a good game yesterday. No big blunders, kept it out when he had to. I'd give him an extra mark. Same with Berge. Unspectacular but played some good balls.

Berge,s Yellow well worth it watching the game over in the morning. Very much expected cardiff to score until he pulled him. 3 on 2 at full speed.

Deadbat, love your reports but come on ffs we’re on the verge of gaining promotion to the promised land & have a Wembley semi.

We’re not that bad are we?

I don't think we were great yesterday no but were clinical and had a bit of luck too. I actually thought weirdly we were better and more in control v Wigan and only won 1-0.

Wins are all that matter at this stage

Granted I know some will think my marks are low but feel Bogle, Berge and McBurnie all could play much better then that, and have this season.

If Berge is dropped, who exactly would they replace him with?

I would not drop him as options are limited but I might not be in the majority and that I still feel his best position is wide right and running at players - he is a bit of a liability defensively as he cannot head/tackle and rarely runs back (granted been a bit better at this recently)

Spot on Berge yet again brought very little to the party.Infuriating player ideally should be playing further forward.Gave possession away many times allowing Cardiff to break quickly, piss poor passing, can’t head a ball and abysmal shooting.oh and rarely wins a tackle.
Be better suited to the Prem
UTB

Can we remind ourselves he did 18 months in the prem and was equally as ineffective there too?

Has a player ever been described as ‘will be more suited to the prem’ and then was ACTUALLY better in the prem? Feels a bit of a cop out for me

Reactions: Dkc

Thought Cardiff were worse than Wigan defensively with an awful keeper and two dreadful centre backs but had a lot more going the other way and some tidy midfielders. They also had a go and at 1-1 and then 2-1 had chances to take the lead/draw level that were very close.

I've seen worse teams (overall) than them higher up this season but the defending was comical at times.

Can we remind ourselves he did 18 months in the prem and was equally as ineffective there too?

Has a player ever been described as ‘will be more suited to the prem’ and then was ACTUALLY better in the prem? Feels a bit of a cop out for me

I think Berge has been no better or worse Champ to Prem. At times he stands out more at this level due to the lack of quality but overall he has shown flashes at both levels. In the relegation season he was one our best players till he got injured v Man Utd (granted little competition) after he had been ineffective in the run in of his first season (until Covid came weirdly when he improved in a few - Spurs/Chelsea).

In the Champ he has had injuries that have stopped him getting any kind of momentum but do feel he needs to look at his conditioning/body shape - I think he might be carrying a bit of extra weight (know he is a big lad) as he seems to be blowing on the hour almost every game.

Goodness knows I'm no Berge fan but I'm surprised at the kicking he's been getting up and down the forum after yesterday, I thought he was good. Albeit getting an assist for blocking a goal bound header with his arm, in an offside position, is very generous indeed.

Bogle is simply utter dreck and Lowe isn't much better. Kudos for the three lads in the middle for playing out of their skins with those two clowns on the flanks. Very harsh in Egan there too I thought, he was cracking yesterday.
I don't think there was a great deal in his overall performance between the midfielders and would say McAtee was probably the weakest of the three. Surprised Berge is getting a kicking whilst at the same time the other two getting praise.

I was really impressed by Philogene a little bit raw but if he has performed like he did yesterday, all season, I can see him going on loan to a team higher up

I don't think we were great yesterday no but were clinical and had a bit of luck too. I actually thought weirdly we were better and more in control v Wigan and only won 1-0.

Wins are all that matter at this stage

Granted I know some will think my marks are low but feel Bogle, Berge and McBurnie all could play much better then that, and have this season.
Think you have to put present performances in context - ie stage of the season, the prize at stake & volume of fixtures, add into the mix fan expectation levels & you’ve got a pressure cooker.

Not surprising that some players have “an off” day or don’t turn in worldy performances.

Also considering what’s also going on or not in the background & contract uncertainty etc then that’s further concerns playing on people’s minds.

Think the management team have worked wonders given all of the above, since their appointment results have been nothing but consistent.

Some thoughts:

1. If we get promoted, James McAtee deserves a medal the size of a dustbin lid.

2. Sander can’t head the ball and is very easy to knock off it. Reminds me of myself. Having said that, he is very good at recycling it.

3. Is Bogle not making runs as a result of instructions? It’s annoying.

4. Ndiaye is God and we should all bow down.

5. Philogene is an interesting player. Worth keeping an eye on.

6. Lamouchi is trying the stuff he tried at Barnsley and WBA but his players are not good enough. Still they posed us a test. One of the more interesting sides I’ve seen this season.

7. Re the Bogle/Baldock/Davies clusterfuck, I would say:

(a) If the keeper doesn’t call, the defence needs to deal with it.

(b) having said that, a professional keeper should have come for that ball.

8. JLT was not great up to their goal and excellent thereafter.

9. It is remarkable how few goals we are getting from our out and out strikers this calendar year.

10. I’m currently spending the longest time I’ve spent in this city in almost 30 years. I’ve got to the point with work where I wonder where I belong now. I’m happy to say, however, that I know I still belong at the Lane.

Back
Top Bottom