United 2 Stoke 1 - report/pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No mention of Sharp's brilliant headed clearance off the line?

By 'brilliant head' you mean 'doing his job'? That's why he was on a post. to do that. He did it well. I'm not sure why that counts as brilliant tbqf.

Amazing the different ways we see the game.

I thought Soutter was their MOTM and I thought Sawyers, a player I rate, was poor.

I agree, I liked Souttar. I don't really think he was at fault for the goals, either.

For the first, Wilmot charges out of position to close down Didsy, loses out to his flick and doesn't make enough effort to get back (watch it back, he jogs back until McGoldrick picks up the ball again, then he sprints but can't catch him).

For the second goal it's actually good work from Sharp as he's waiting for the cross, his movement means he starts with Wilmot and is then passed on to Souttar. Between him occupying both defenders and the lack of tracking from midfield, McGoldrick is left unmarked.

Sharp 6/10 – Not hugely involved early on but then his influence started to grow and did some good stuff linking play and coming off from the defence but missed a good headed chance when he should have scored really. He kept going and even though not sure he had any other chances till the late blazed over shot, but he worked hard and of course was involved in the leveller. Not his best game but still industrious.
Yep, pretty much agree with all that. Tho ….

No mention of Sharp's brilliant headed clearance off the line?
The equivalent of him sticking one in at the other end, for me.

Contrary to opinion in the thread, he wasn’t on the post waiting for it either. When the corner is taken, he’s stood on the 6 yard line. Really good, intuitive defending from Bill, without which, in the end, we may not win the game.

Tell you what DB, I came away from the Lane yesterday thinking after watching the last 2 league games, maybe, just maybe, things are starting to click, the next amazing thing is Slav will crack a smile..... or maybe not!!

Yep, pretty much agree with all that. Tho ….

The equivalent of him sticking one in at the other end, for me.

Contrary to opinion in the thread, he wasn’t on the post waiting for it either. When the corner is taken, he’s stood on the 6 yard line. Really good, intuitive defending from Bill, without which, in the end, we may not win the game.
Absolutely correct, Billy might not have got on the score sheet, but fantastic effort from our Skipper, clearly influential on the way the game panned out

United – A vital win. Was it a fantastic performance? Not really. I think we played better at Bournemouth being honest but we finally showed some resolve and character to come back and win a game. So many times, we have gone behind and never realty looked like coming back. Today I felt that was the case as at 0-1, they looked in complete control and for 10-15 minutes we seemed to lose any kind of confidence and the body language was poor. I am not sure at 70-75 minutes anyone could foresee us even getting a draw let alone three points. Fair play to the manager and the players who came on who made things happen and we scored two good goals to turn it around. We have been waiting for some kind of impact from the likes of Mousset (and indeed McGoldrick) and today they came on and changed things from the bench.

The first half was quite drab. The game began with nothing really happening and the pace was so slow. We had an ok period and a few balls going across but then they had a good spell and Olsen made two expected but smart stops as they got through us too easily. We seemed slow and sluggish to attack talking too long to move it on and hesitant when they got the ball into the box. We did actually have a good spell for the final part of the half and Gibbs White headed wide and Sharp missed a really good chance as we finally upped the tempo. I suppose 0-0 at half time was about right. They were a few chances but neither side really had any kind of control. I felt it was a poor game and lacked quality either way really.

2nd half we had a really good opening few minutes but Stevens sent a shot just wide and then they went up and scored a good goal. It all seemed too easy but credit to the scorer for a good turn and shot I suppose. After this I felt our heads dropped and they started to knock it about for the first time and had a few chances to maybe make it safe. We lacked any kind of creativity or spark and even with the changes, I was not convinced we would get back into it. Davies had made one save from Sharp from the point-blank header in the first half and a more routine one from Ndiaye but 2nd half not sure he had anything to do at all really and we looked a bit spent.

Mousset and McGoldrick came on and they gave us something different and then the goal came. Some quick fluid football and Mousset took it well and then minutes later we score again with a good cross and tidy finish from Didzy. McGoldrick was involved in both key moments of course and definitely made a big difference. Mousset also caused problems of course. I am not sure Osborn or Ndiaye were bad but the two incomers made a difference.

At 0-1 at 75-8-0 minutes, it looked bleak but fair play, the subs made a difference and after we went ahead, weirdly we seemed in control as it was the Stoke heads that dropped. Did we deserve to win? Maybe not. It was a relatively even game and they had a good spell 2nd half after an even 1st half but then they did not push on and conceded two poor goals – the type we normally concede with crosses/balls to set up chances.

I certainly did not come away today and think we were fantastic. I felt we actually might have been better first half than second half as odd as that sounds! We were ok and I suppose Stoke have been flying high but we did show some resilience and character to come back – often when we go behind then I think we are done but today that did not happen. It is nice to see some strikers come on and make a difference. It was a relatively tight game but one that we came out the right side, after it being the other way around last time out. The division is clearly wide open. We have seen us play Bournemouth and Stoke and we have been as good as both these top 6 sides with two contrasting results. I am not sure there is much in the whole division. We do have greater strength in depth, as much as we malign the strikers we do have in reserve or back up, than many other sides. We saw this today as they turned the game.

We maybe shaded the first half but after they scored we looked poor and the comeback did not look likely but fair play we showed some real character.

I am not convinced we look any closer to this fluent, cohesive or dynamic side Slav envisages at all but we did at least show some resolve. Overall, the game today was even and little in it. We at least took our chances and made sure the vital moments we seized upon. I am still not wholly convinced by the system, style or where we are going as much as that may seem negative after a win – I am not sure we are going to go on long winning runs anytime soon. We still look soft and weak through the middle and we concede too easy and at the other end it is too hard to score. I feel it is still hard work for some of the talent we have to win games against some quite average sides. The players need to up the tempo and urgency more consistently. Today, we did that for a spell (a bit like Bournemouth last week) and it turned the game but we need to be at it more consistently. I did not come away and think,
‘Wow, that was great!’ I thought we won. It was ok but we still look a long way off a side that will consistently win games, even at this level due to this inability to constantly turn the tap on and it seems to be infrequent bursts still. I am not sure we look close to a promotion contending side and still look all the world a ‘nice but soft’ mid table side. Maybe that seems harsh after a win against a high flyer but I would have said the same after a defeat the other week against a good side.

Be interesting if he pitches some of the player who did well from the bench, with a starting place in the week as we face another big and physical side in Millwall. It is important we follow up a good result with another and do not be a win one, lose one, draw one type of team. We now need to try and put a run together to move nearer the top six.

Ratings:

Olsen 6.5/10 – Did not have much to do but made one smart-ish save first half and reacted well to the rebound too. Had little else to do really and then on the goal had little chance with no protection. After this not sure he had many saves to make at all (neither keeper did). Given a lot of the ball on the ground, sometimes way too much but he did ok with what he was given on the floor.

Bogle 6/10 – Ok I suppose. Not sure I noticed him much either way (not sure if that is good or bad). Defensively I cannot really any clear errors but not sure he got forward to cause many problems either. One run 2nd half where he came inside and helped set up the Stevens chance. Not sure he was any worse or better than Baldock has been.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Started the game quite far forward and was involved in a few attacks and recall one good ball in but nothing direct came from him. Defensively he was ok I suppose. 2nd half we did see more of him after we let one in and of course he set up the winner with a good cross. He had one chance arrowed just wide at 0-0 too.

Davies 6/10 – Ok but still seems rather timid in the challenge. On the ball he is fine and uses it ok but when it is a 50-50 or aerial ball, I am not convinced he will come out on top. A few times the ball came off a challenge he needed to win and he did not dominate. A nice footballer but is that what we need?

Egan 6/10 – Solid enough but then the chance in the first half when two efforts came at goal, we looked open down the middle; and then on the goal we stood off as the lad came inside and had too long to take a shot. I am still not convinced when balls come in or teams come at us, the defence is solid enough to nullify attacks and feel we look too open.

Norwood 5/10 – Thought he started the game with a few routine passes but then became slow and took too many touches. He then gave it away with a few loose passes. His set plays were mostly poor and as the game became scrappy, we lost control of midfield. On the goal the man came off him and turned and shot too easy to score. We look way too timid and soft in this area still and do not offer a consistent goal/assist threat the other way. Came off and whilst Hourihane did not do much on the ball we seemed to have more tempo as we attacked?

Fleck 6.5/10 – Our best midfielder in that he did a few good runs first half where he dropped the shoulder and at least penetrated. Looked to get involved and a few of our half chances came from him running at the defence. Up and down and a few times he lost it but kept trying and we saw this second half as he linked with Stevens and then the subs a few times. Not great but better than others in this area.

Osborn 5.5/10 – Not his day today. Started off involved with a few bits of link play but then the game started to become scrappy and we saw less and less of him. He took too many touches when he had it and got crowded out a fair bit. 2nd half not involved as we had our poorest spell after we went behind and he came off.

Gibbs White 6/10 – Odd as when he had it looked good but for way too long, the game seemed to pass him by and he flitted in and out. He showed some nice touches and flicks. Had one overhead kick blocked and a few other moments but not sure anything direct came from him even though he kept trying. They did press him and double up on him a few times when he had it.

Ndiaye 6/10 – As above. He always tried to get on it and showed some nice touches and runs but he was not always influential and the game sort of became scrappy. He shows good physical strength and clearly has lovely body control and can burst though occasionally but not sure we saw enough of it (when he did this Stoke struggled and we got them turned). 2nd half he was not in it and after we trailed, he then came off.

Sharp 6/10 – Not hugely involved early on but then his influence started to grow and did some good stuff linking play and coming off from the defence but missed a good headed chance when he should have scored really. He kept going and even though not sure he had any other chances till the late blazed over shot, but he worked hard and of course was involved in the leveller. Not his best game but still industrious.

Subs –

Mousset – Came on down the left and looked lively and ‘up for it’ and then got in a great position to score coolly for the leveller. He showed some good pace and running and definitely made a difference.

Hourihane – Not sure he was massively involved despite the game turning around after he came on but once we went in front, he was neat and tidy in the few touches he had to help see the game out.

McGoldrick – 13 minutes and what an impact. Did he did loads? No! However, two huge moments turned the game around. He set up the leveller and then scored the winner, being on the spot. Clearly a massive impact and showed whatever doubts about where or how he fits, he still has a lot to offer! Effectively turned the game! I do not mark players less than 30 minutes but he might have been man of the match in such a limited spell!

Manager Jokanovic 7/10 – The subs changed the game round. By luck or clever calculation; we had two subs who scored the goals that won the game. He is persisting with this formation but we see the highs and lows of trying to play out. I felt the tempo was woefully slow at times but for 15 minutes end of the first half we looked good and stepped it up. After we conceded, the heads seemed to drop and the changes did give us some new life. Not sure the outgoing players were particularly bad but it did give is a big lift of course. He will know we need to put a run of 4 or 5 games together – not 2 wins, 2 losses as it had been.

Stoke – Seemed to have been treading water for a few years and gone through quite a few managers. If anything since coming down they have been closer to going down again than coming up and actually there start after they came down a few years ago was similar to ours. A heavily bloated squad full of high earners that on paper should be right near the top but the reality was players were struggling, the system they had was not working anymore and they need to offload loads before they could start a transition. It is worryingly similar to us. They ended up having to cut back hugely financially and now have a squad of some experienced players but a fair few young ones mixed with solid Championship players. It did not work under the likes of Rowett and Jones but O’Neil seems to be getting it right slowly. Last season they were very ordinary but have had a good start this season. They may not look anything like many of the others at the top in terms of quality but he has them well organised and they are winning games. They seem to be on a real upward curve and the division is so wide open, you would not be surprised if they could mount a serious play off push.

Today, there was little in the game. It was even really first half. We started ok, then they had a spell and a few moments and we finished the half well. 0-0 was about right. Both keepers had made one save of note but neither side had really dominated. After the break we started better but then after Stevens narrowly missed, the lad Brown scored a really good strike. After this they played well for 15-20 minutes and Powell had a chance but they did not put the game away and then poor defending twice (the sort we normally show) saw two quick goals and the game had completely turned around. Not sure they even offered much of a fight back after this and the game sort of petered out. They seemed somewhat stunned and it was too late really.

They looked an ok side but as I have said before there is nothing in the whole league from maybe 3rd to 18th. Any team can beat anyone. They are a physical big side and will outmuscle many but also showed they can be sloppy too. I look at them on paper and watching them in person today and not convinced they are really any better than us at all.

Opponent Man of the Match –Brown scored a really good goal and had another effort. I thought Vrancic was decent and offered a threat from open play and set play. Powell and Sawyers are solid players who are good technically but today not sure either had their best game.

Opponent Weak link – The big lad Souttar may have looked imposing but felt he was a weak link and on the goals, he was slow to react twice. I also thought Davies, the keeper, was slow to react on the 2nd goal. Seemed to go in too easy.

Referee/Officials – Keith Stroud. Thought he was poor. Seen him before and nothing today changed my opinion. Finickity and fussy. At times the game should have flowed more but he seemed to want to be noticed too much. Not sure of any bad decisions and the penalty appeal first half seemed a big ask from us but it was a push on Ndiaye but overall, we noticed him too much for a nothing sort of game with rarely a bad tackle. He gave some odd free kicks – like the one on the keeper which was never a foul when the Stoke player fouled him! Smith was booked for a cynical foul on Fleck and then Brown for showing his bra after the goal. We did not get a yellow card.

Matchday/Crowd – Felt it was quiet sadly for such a big crowd and like the Derby game, there was more noise from the away minority. Stoke fans were passionate and loud. Blades fans started to groan a bit at 0-1 but then as we came back the levels of course went up and helped see us through. A standing ovation for Mousset for completing 20 minutes was amusing but of course Didz got the biggest ovation at the end for turning the game around. Nice to see the ovation for David Brooks on the 36th minute and credit to the Stoke fans for joining in with that.

I think your marks are a bit off this week, I thought first half was pretty even - and entertaining.
Osborne & Ndiaye were the stand-outs for me in the first half, Ozzy ran his socks off and was involved in most of our attempts to drive forward down the left, Ndiaye is (and will be) a joy to watch, not much came off for him yesterday but his talent is clear to see.
Second half, obviously the subs changed the game, I do agree that we are no where near what we need to be if we want promotion or even top six,
I think we will have a clear out in the summer with various contracts running down, then have a real go next season, unless some thing spectacular happens in the January window and we bring in some new recruits.
At least we can enjoy our weekend!

Some fair points. Stoke are the first decent side we have beaten this season though and the run of results is mostly against poorer sides.

Maybe I am overly negative (generally not just yesterday!) but I did not see the domination many describe. The game was even to start but they had the best chance of the first half with the header off the line. Olsen made two saves too on one attack. I felt the 3 Stoke chances were as good if not better than the Sharp Ndiaye and Gibbs White chances...the latter two were not even on target and I felt not clear ones. Sharp should have scored.

2nd half either side of the Brown goal, Stevens and Powell had shots narrowly wide for both sides.

Over the game I'm not sure we had loads more chances than them as some seem to be suggesting?

However I agree after an even first 20-25, we ended the first half really well with good tempo and started the first 5 mins of the 2nd half the same. So we were on top for 25 mins. However, Stoke were well on too after the goal for 25 minutes really.

I am not sure we even looked like scoring and their keeper had nothing to do after the first half until 80 mins. We did not have an effort close after the Stevens one on 52-53 mins was it? I can barely recall an attack if note after this let alone any sustained possession or pressure.

We were better than them for a 20 min spell in the 1st half They were better than us for a 20 min spell in the 2nd half. The rest I felt was even on possession, chances and control of the game.

If anyone deserved to win, it was us but I felt only just rather than us being much better than them for most if the game.

The goals came out of the blue really and was a bizarre 3 minutes. We had not built up any pressure uo to this point at all and then bang bang.

Hope above qualifies my reading of the game even if people disagree which is fine. I stand by that no players were excellent or close. I thought Norwood and Osborn were ineffectual but the rest were OK. Fleck maybe the stand out of the starters in terms if getting on it and Stevens decent too. Maybe I was half a mark too low on those two and Gibbs White but again for a creative player not sure what we actually created from his play yesterday?

As I say it's a game of opinions but I am still not wholly convinced I see a side that is going to go on a consistent winning run. There is improvements from where we were I agree though.

Yesterday we won a tight game. The other week we lost one. I think we will continue to see this with United for the next period of the season as we play a lot of teams around the same area as us. Hope I am wrong and we can finish this week with 2 wins against an average Millwall and a poor Barnsley side. If we are serious about playoffs then we need to be taking 4-6 points from these two.
You are overly negative

The positives, we won after an international break, beat a top 4 team, subs worked for once and we came from behind. The negatives despite all our possession in the first half they had more chances with us only working the goalkeeper twice. Our build up play is still painfully slow and Stoke were content to sit back and let us pass the ball from side to side.

Our first goal was everything the manager wants from his style of play. First time pass and run football. It was an excellent crafted goal by two of the old stagers in Sharp and Mcg. Why some of our players seem incapable of this is a mystery? Maybe they are too wedded to the old system and can't adapt. One passage of play in the first half between MGW and Ndiaye got us to the right of the penalty area at pace. Bogle receives the ball and instead of a first time cross into the box puts his foot on it and waits for a player to overlap. This illustrates the problem. There are too many triangles down the side attempting to walk the ball into the net when a first time cross or direct run at defenders is a better option. Until we solve this continuing problem I agree we will not trouble the play off places as we need to score 2 a game to win at the moment. Their goal was everything thats wrong with our defence. Weak challenges in midfield, player outmuscles two players and others turn their back on the ball when he shoots.

Credit to Stoke for a big side they didn't resort to the hoof ball of WBA, Brum and Preston and played football. Second half they got hold of midfield when they were chasing shadows in the first.

The subs worked and we moved the ball forward quicker as a result. Apart from a missed header by Davies we managed to see the game out which we didn't do against Uddersfield and Preston so improvement here.

Winning breeds confidence, a defeat yesterday would have made it a long season so credit to the manager for his tactical changes.

They were wide open at the back from 80 to 85. We scored 2 and could have had another. I felt for an imposing centre back he was nowhere to be seen at these key moments.
The impact of McGoldrick cannot be underestimated, together with the pace and direct threat The Moose posed given McGoldrick's advanced brain, control and instant touch to set things up. They had no option but to drop back and try to deal with a completely different dynamic. For much of the game they gave us a lesson in fitness, covering, organisation and teamwork that made it look as though they had an extra man. We have more talented players than Stoke City, and if Slav can get us working at the tempo needed to start winning a lot more 50/50's (Stoke often won 40/60's) then we'll be able to challenge for a top 6 spot.

What a pleasure it is to read this thread.

Great work by Deadbat as usual, a good pod (though Squid Game - ugh) and loads of good comments, and healthy disagreement, about the game. Better tactical analysis and review of what went in than you will find anywhere else on the internet or in the media. And all done without insulting each other. This could not happen on, say, Twitter.

This is the best place to discuss and to read about Sheffield United and it’s not even close.

United – A vital win. Was it a fantastic performance?

Stoke – Seemed to have been treading water for a few years and gone through quite a few managers. If anything since coming down they have been closer to going down again than coming up and actually there start after they came down a few years ago was similar to ours. A heavily bloated squad full of high earners that on paper should be right near the top but the reality was players were struggling, the system they had was not working anymore and they need to offload loads before they could start a transition. It is worryingly similar to us. They ended up having to cut back hugely financially and now have a squad of some experienced players but a fair few young ones mixed with solid Championship players. It did not work under the likes of Rowett and Jones but O’Neil seems to be getting it right slowly. Last season they were very ordinary but have had a good start this season. They may not look anything like many of the others at the top in terms of quality but he has them well organised and they are winning games. They seem to be on a real upward curve and the division is so wide open, you would not be surprised if they could mount a serious play off push.

Today, there was little in the game. It was even really first half. We started ok, then they had a spell and a few moments and we finished the half well. 0-0 was about right. Both keepers had made one save of note but neither side had really dominated. After the break we started better but then after Stevens narrowly missed, the lad Brown scored a really good strike. After this they played well for 15-20 minutes and Powell had a chance but they did not put the game away and then poor defending twice (the sort we normally show) saw two quick goals and the game had completely turned around. Not sure they even offered much of a fight back after this and the game sort of petered out. They seemed somewhat stunned and it was too late really.

They looked an ok side but as I have said before there is nothing in the whole league from maybe 3rd to 18th. Any team can beat anyone. They are a physical big side and will outmuscle many but also showed they can be sloppy too. I look at them on paper and watching them in person today and not convinced they are really any better than us at all.

Opponent Man of the Match –Brown scored a really good goal and had another effort. I thought Vrancic was decent and offered a threat from open play and set play. Powell and Sawyers are solid players who are good technically but today not sure either had their best game.

Opponent Weak link – The big lad Souttar may have looked imposing but felt he was a weak link and on the goals, he was slow to react twice. I also thought Davies, the keeper, was slow to react on the 2nd goal. Seemed to go in too easy.

Referee/Officials – Keith Stroud. Thought he was poor. Seen him before and nothing today changed my opinion. Finickity and fussy. At times the game should have flowed more but he seemed to want to be noticed too much. Not sure of any bad decisions and the penalty appeal first half seemed a big ask from us but it was a push on Ndiaye but overall, we noticed him too much for a nothing sort of game with rarely a bad tackle. He gave some odd free kicks – like the one on the keeper which was never a foul when the Stoke player fouled him! Smith was booked for a cynical foul on Fleck and then Brown for showing his bra after the goal. We did not get a yellow card.

Matchday/Crowd – Felt it was quiet sadly for such a big crowd and like the Derby game, there was more noise from the away minority. Stoke fans were passionate and loud. Blades fans started to groan a bit at 0-1 but then as we came back the levels of course went up and helped see us through. A standing ovation for Mousset for completing 20 minutes was amusing but of course Didz got the biggest ovation at the end for turning the game around. Nice to see the ovation for David Brooks on the 36th minute and credit to the Stoke fans for joining in with that.

Good report. I'd probably score a little differently on the marks.

Olsen - 6.5, Bogle - 7, Egan - 5.5, Davies 6.5, Stevens - 7, Norwood - 5, Fleck - 7, Ndiaye, 6.5, MGW - 7, Osborn - 5, Sharp - 6.5.

Mousset - 7, McGoldrick - 8, Hourihane - 5.

I thought our full backs did better yesterday in an attacking sense. Bogle attacked well and Stevens took his time and found men with his deliveries and got an assist, he's improving.

The centre halves still worry me. I don't think they compliment each other particularly well and both lack physicality.
However, yesterday Davies read the game well and swept up really nicely. He's got good pace and is tidy on the ball. If we can sign him permanently I'd be tempted and see if we can flog Egan who hasn't impressed me much now in 18 months.

In our best period of play (mins 20-45) Fleck & Ndiaye were very good, I think they deserve decent marks for exerting some influence on the game during that period. MGW gets a higher mark for his defensive covering in the 2nd half, another cracking shift from him.

Sharp was his usual self. Big contribution to the equaliser and saved us a goal at the other end.

McGoldrick man of the match because he made the difference.

United – A vital win. Was it a fantastic performance? Not really. I think we played better at Bournemouth being honest but we finally showed some resolve and character to come back and win a game. So many times, we have gone behind and never realty looked like coming back. Today I felt that was the case as at 0-1, they looked in complete control and for 10-15 minutes we seemed to lose any kind of confidence and the body language was poor. I am not sure at 70-75 minutes anyone could foresee us even getting a draw let alone three points. Fair play to the manager and the players who came on who made things happen and we scored two good goals to turn it around. We have been waiting for some kind of impact from the likes of Mousset (and indeed McGoldrick) and today they came on and changed things from the bench.

The first half was quite drab. The game began with nothing really happening and the pace was so slow. We had an ok period and a few balls going across but then they had a good spell and Olsen made two expected but smart stops as they got through us too easily. We seemed slow and sluggish to attack talking too long to move it on and hesitant when they got the ball into the box. We did actually have a good spell for the final part of the half and Gibbs White headed wide and Sharp missed a really good chance as we finally upped the tempo. I suppose 0-0 at half time was about right. They were a few chances but neither side really had any kind of control. I felt it was a poor game and lacked quality either way really.

2nd half we had a really good opening few minutes but Stevens sent a shot just wide and then they went up and scored a good goal. It all seemed too easy but credit to the scorer for a good turn and shot I suppose. After this I felt our heads dropped and they started to knock it about for the first time and had a few chances to maybe make it safe. We lacked any kind of creativity or spark and even with the changes, I was not convinced we would get back into it. Davies had made one save from Sharp from the point-blank header in the first half and a more routine one from Ndiaye but 2nd half not sure he had anything to do at all really and we looked a bit spent.

Mousset and McGoldrick came on and they gave us something different and then the goal came. Some quick fluid football and Mousset took it well and then minutes later we score again with a good cross and tidy finish from Didzy. McGoldrick was involved in both key moments of course and definitely made a big difference. Mousset also caused problems of course. I am not sure Osborn or Ndiaye were bad but the two incomers made a difference.

At 0-1 at 75-8-0 minutes, it looked bleak but fair play, the subs made a difference and after we went ahead, weirdly we seemed in control as it was the Stoke heads that dropped. Did we deserve to win? Maybe not. It was a relatively even game and they had a good spell 2nd half after an even 1st half but then they did not push on and conceded two poor goals – the type we normally concede with crosses/balls to set up chances.

I certainly did not come away today and think we were fantastic. I felt we actually might have been better first half than second half as odd as that sounds! We were ok and I suppose Stoke have been flying high but we did show some resilience and character to come back – often when we go behind then I think we are done but today that did not happen. It is nice to see some strikers come on and make a difference. It was a relatively tight game but one that we came out the right side, after it being the other way around last time out. The division is clearly wide open. We have seen us play Bournemouth and Stoke and we have been as good as both these top 6 sides with two contrasting results. I am not sure there is much in the whole division. We do have greater strength in depth, as much as we malign the strikers we do have in reserve or back up, than many other sides. We saw this today as they turned the game.

We maybe shaded the first half but after they scored we looked poor and the comeback did not look likely but fair play we showed some real character.

I am not convinced we look any closer to this fluent, cohesive or dynamic side Slav envisages at all but we did at least show some resolve. Overall, the game today was even and little in it. We at least took our chances and made sure the vital moments we seized upon. I am still not wholly convinced by the system, style or where we are going as much as that may seem negative after a win – I am not sure we are going to go on long winning runs anytime soon. We still look soft and weak through the middle and we concede too easy and at the other end it is too hard to score. I feel it is still hard work for some of the talent we have to win games against some quite average sides. The players need to up the tempo and urgency more consistently. Today, we did that for a spell (a bit like Bournemouth last week) and it turned the game but we need to be at it more consistently. I did not come away and think,
‘Wow, that was great!’ I thought we won. It was ok but we still look a long way off a side that will consistently win games, even at this level due to this inability to constantly turn the tap on and it seems to be infrequent bursts still. I am not sure we look close to a promotion contending side and still look all the world a ‘nice but soft’ mid table side. Maybe that seems harsh after a win against a high flyer but I would have said the same after a defeat the other week against a good side.

Be interesting if he pitches some of the player who did well from the bench, with a starting place in the week as we face another big and physical side in Millwall. It is important we follow up a good result with another and do not be a win one, lose one, draw one type of team. We now need to try and put a run together to move nearer the top six.

Ratings:

Olsen 6.5/10 – Did not have much to do but made one smart-ish save first half and reacted well to the rebound too. Had little else to do really and then on the goal had little chance with no protection. After this not sure he had many saves to make at all (neither keeper did). Given a lot of the ball on the ground, sometimes way too much but he did ok with what he was given on the floor.

Bogle 6/10 – Ok I suppose. Not sure I noticed him much either way (not sure if that is good or bad). Defensively I cannot really any clear errors but not sure he got forward to cause many problems either. One run 2nd half where he came inside and helped set up the Stevens chance. Not sure he was any worse or better than Baldock has been.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Started the game quite far forward and was involved in a few attacks and recall one good ball in but nothing direct came from him. Defensively he was ok I suppose. 2nd half we did see more of him after we let one in and of course he set up the winner with a good cross. He had one chance arrowed just wide at 0-0 too.

Davies 6/10 – Ok but still seems rather timid in the challenge. On the ball he is fine and uses it ok but when it is a 50-50 or aerial ball, I am not convinced he will come out on top. A few times the ball came off a challenge he needed to win and he did not dominate. A nice footballer but is that what we need?

Egan 6/10 – Solid enough but then the chance in the first half when two efforts came at goal, we looked open down the middle; and then on the goal we stood off as the lad came inside and had too long to take a shot. I am still not convinced when balls come in or teams come at us, the defence is solid enough to nullify attacks and feel we look too open.

Norwood 5/10 – Thought he started the game with a few routine passes but then became slow and took too many touches. He then gave it away with a few loose passes. His set plays were mostly poor and as the game became scrappy, we lost control of midfield. On the goal the man came off him and turned and shot too easy to score. We look way too timid and soft in this area still and do not offer a consistent goal/assist threat the other way. Came off and whilst Hourihane did not do much on the ball we seemed to have more tempo as we attacked?

Fleck 6.5/10 – Our best midfielder in that he did a few good runs first half where he dropped the shoulder and at least penetrated. Looked to get involved and a few of our half chances came from him running at the defence. Up and down and a few times he lost it but kept trying and we saw this second half as he linked with Stevens and then the subs a few times. Not great but better than others in this area.

Osborn 5.5/10 – Not his day today. Started off involved with a few bits of link play but then the game started to become scrappy and we saw less and less of him. He took too many touches when he had it and got crowded out a fair bit. 2nd half not involved as we had our poorest spell after we went behind and he came off.

Gibbs White 6/10 – Odd as when he had it looked good but for way too long, the game seemed to pass him by and he flitted in and out. He showed some nice touches and flicks. Had one overhead kick blocked and a few other moments but not sure anything direct came from him even though he kept trying. They did press him and double up on him a few times when he had it.

Ndiaye 6/10 – As above. He always tried to get on it and showed some nice touches and runs but he was not always influential and the game sort of became scrappy. He shows good physical strength and clearly has lovely body control and can burst though occasionally but not sure we saw enough of it (when he did this Stoke struggled and we got them turned). 2nd half he was not in it and after we trailed, he then came off.

Subs –

Mousset – Came on down the left and looked lively and ‘up for it’ and then got in a great position to score coolly for the leveller. He showed some good pace and running and definitely made a difference.

Hourihane – Not sure he was massively involved despite the game turning around after he came on but once we went in front, he was neat and tidy in the few touches he had to help see the game out.

McGoldrick – 13 minutes and what an impact. Did he did loads? No! However, two huge moments turned the game around. He set up the leveller and then scored the winner, being on the spot. Clearly a massive impact and showed whatever doubts about where or how he fits, he still has a lot to offer! Effectively turned the game! I do not mark players less than 30 minutes but he might have been man of the match in such a limited spell!

Manager Jokanovic 7/10 – The subs changed the game round. By luck or clever calculation; we had two subs who scored the goals that won the game. He is persisting with this formation but we see the highs and lows of trying to play out. I felt the tempo was woefully slow at times but for 15 minutes end of the first half we looked good and stepped it up. After we conceded, the heads seemed to drop and the changes did give us some new life. Not sure the outgoing players were particularly bad but it did give is a big lift of course. He will know we need to put a run of 4 or 5 games together – not 2 wins, 2 losses as it had been.

Think Davies is competent but is he actually better than Basham ? Apart from the fact he is left footed but does that matter in a 2 at the back ? Bash gives us more threat going forward and is at least as competent if not better at defending.

Mostly agree with your thoughts DB but would say that MGW deserves a higher mark for his brilliant covering at the back where he used his pace to cover when they had broken away and posed a threat.

Absolutely correct, Billy might not have got on the score sheet, but fantastic effort from our Skipper, clearly influential on the way the game panned out

It's another classic Sharp performance where he's underappreciated. In the big moments he stands up. Without him yesterday, that doesn't get cleared off the line. He then has a huge hand in both goals.

Great work by Deadbat as usual, a good pod (though Squid Game - ugh) and loads of good comments, and healthy disagreement, about the game. Better tactical analysis and review of what went in than you will find anywhere else on the internet or in the media. And all done without insulting each other. This could not happen on, say, Twitter.

This is the best place to discuss and to read about Sheffield United and it’s not even close.
I agree,but god there’s some miserable buggers on here🤪
I was well pleased with the performance overall,that win will have a big boost to confidence coming from behind against a decent though unspectacular side
They’ll be thereabouts at the business end of the season they’ve some decent players also some lumps!
For me,it’s slowly coming together…….

we were talking about at FT about the game with people i go with & he said it feels ages his we last came from behind. i checked it out & found a answer to the question. surprisingly despite being crap for a while & covid how long it had been

the last time Sheffield United came back from behind to win a league game

2nd February 2021 V WBA

with fans 9th February 2020 v Bournemouth

Hello darkness my old friend

Cheers DB.
Thought Norwood had a good first half, and he deserved an assist for the Sharp missed header. His pass completion stats were much lower than normal, but to me that was mostly dues to trying more first time and more penetrative passes in that first half. He misplaced a few, too. He was less effective in the second half, and him and Egan could have done better on the goal. Made sense that he came off, although we looked worse for a while, til the goal game pretty out of the blue. Hourihane was involved in the second goal, but until we equalized, I think he touched the ball only once, a header.

Osborn was decent in the first half, but anonymous in the second. I like him a lot, but not sure Osborn in that position is what a team hoping to be a top team in the division needs. It’s a position I’m sure we’ll be looking at in January. Til then, maybe Ndiaye can play there, and McGoldrick plays behind the striker?

McGoldrick won us the game by being unpredictable, bringing people out of position. I wondered how much he’d be involved with our new system, but he showed he has the class to thrive in different systems. Chuffed for him.

The game could have gone either way, and there are concerns, but happy to come from behind and win, and happy that we are creating. Two very good goals, too.

I'm not sure we deserve to be lauded. We were ok but not amazing. We produced two good moments near the end but overall it was a tight game that could have gone either way. We were better 1st half than the 2nd weirdly. I'm not sure it was a wholly convincing performance collectively or individually.

I think 6-6.5s were about right I'm not sure anyone played that well. Noone was awful either though. There were many OK to decent showings but McGokdrick was MoM in 13 minutes
He did a few flicks and tricks and showed his quality on the ball too but felt he took too long at times and 2nd half not sure I noticed him much. He did not have any clear moments where he created something or had any efforts. Just felt there was no end product. He was decent but has had much better and more influential games for us thus far.
He's s the one quality player we have got.
And we are losing him in January.

By 'brilliant head' you mean 'doing his job'? That's why he was on a post. to do that. He did it well. I'm not sure why that counts as brilliant tbqf.
He wasn’t on the post, he was closer to the six yard line when the ball came in. His header was from the middle of the goal, where there was a gaping hole. Closer to brilliant than routine I’d say.

Podcast links and then report below….

---

The Blades got back to winning ways after the international break with a come from behind victory over high flying Stoke City at the Lane. Trailing to Jacob Brown’s smart striker, the game seemed to be getting away from the home side but a double substitution was pivotal as Mousset swept in McGoldrick’s cross before McGoldrick himself stabbed home Stevens’ cross to complete a dramatic three-minute turnaround. It was a crucial three points for the Blades after back-to-back losses prior the two-week layoff.

Manager Jokanovic made one change from the side that began the last league game, a defeat at Bournemouth, with Bogle in for the injured Baldock. Stoke were clearly upwardly mobile having ended the recent spell of games with a victory against league leaders West Brom.

United began the game having more possession but were unable to create any clear chances of note. Fleck was busy and Stevens and Osborn were well involved down the left-hand side but Souttar and Chester remained firm. Norwood sent over a deep cross that evaded Egan before at the other end,
Sharp had to head off the line from a Brown header from Rancic’s cross. Smith was booked fort pulling Fleck back in a relatively even game thus far.

United moved the ball across and it was moved to the left for Sharp to dink over a cross but Gibbs White’s header was off target and Stoke eventually cleared. At the other end, Brown had an effort on goal from Powell’s through ball and Olsen had to be alert to make the save and then had to be alert to react to Vrancic on the rebound.

Stoke had a better spell of play after United had begun as the better side and the away side had looked more likely to create chances in a relatively even game overall.

United had a good spell though after this and Ndiaye went down from a challenge but referee Stroud saw nothing doing and waved play on before Bogle had a shot that hit Ndiaye. Soon after Norwood’s cross was met by Sharp but saved by Davies from close range and then Ndiaye had a shot on the turn saved by the keeper. It had been better from the home side who had upped the tempo and ended the half as the better team.

The second half saw the Blades get deep into Stoke territory and after good work from Bogle down the right where he stood up his man despite a strong challenge, Fleck teed it up for Stevens who drilled narrowly wide.

Buoyed by this let off, Stoke went forward as the other end and BROWN came out of midfield and as Norwood and Egan stood off, the midfielder arrowed a fierce shot away from Olsen and right into the corner of the net. It was a great strike but there had been little pressure on the ball to stop the turn and shot.

The Blades made a change as Mousset came on for Osborn. The game became scrappy for a period and Stoke started to show a level of control. Stoke had a half chance as Powell fired wide before United made more changes with Hourihane and McGoldrick on for Norwood and Ndiaye. The game was entering the final 15 minutes and the home side had struggled to make much headway and keeper Davies had not had a save to make in the second half.

Finally, the Blades showed some pace and fluidity to an attack as they got level. Sharp flicked on and McGoldrick found MOUSSET who fired past Davies and the Blades were level. Stoke now sensed they were on the back foot and United suddenly had a second wind and within three minutes they were ahead.

The ball was played down the left and Stevens was well advanced and sent over an inviting cross and MCGOLDRICK stabbed home at the near post. The turnaround was complete and the Blades were ahead!

Soon after Sharp smashed over when well placed and then Fleck had a chance too. Stoke were stunned and even though they threw men forward with Fletcher and Surridge up top, they struggled to create much as the game entered four additional minutes of stoppage time. The Blades defended well and were able to see the game out with a minimum of fuss to seal a vital three points.

I loved the self-deprecating tone of the pod. No bitterness at all, about not winning an award you weren't entered for - 'underground' indeed!
I can't agree it was a 'boring game' and thought both sides made a decent attempt to get three points. Maybe the ale in the Brown Bear was stronger than you gave it credit for?

As ever, I thought your marks were a bit low.

I thought Norwood made a couple of decent tackles and had no idea why the ref blew up for one, although we didn't have a brilliant view. He also put in a pearler of a ball for Billy's saved header.

Fleck had a better game than of late and showed some of the old John Fleck runs and less of Jimmy, but I can't really argue with your score.

I thought you were harsh on MGW. Aside from all the positive attacking play, he also made a couple of crucial interventions at the back and is looking more and more like the heart of the team.

Billy only got the one good chance, but was involved in the goal and again his support play was generally good and he cleared one off the line, so I don't think you've given him credit for his wider game.

I also thought Mousse looked really up for it (although we did have a bet that he'd be off before the end with a 'hamstring' or similar). He's like a little kid, in that the goal spurred him on and he then made some good runs off the ball and dragged their defenders around well.

Thanks for the pod and report and the way you interact with those of us who disagree with you.

the players look like they are all getting on with each other and enjoying playing
which is a good sign UTB

Back
Top Bottom