United 2 Stoke 1 - report/pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Podcast links and then report below….

---

The Blades got back to winning ways after the international break with a come from behind victory over high flying Stoke City at the Lane. Trailing to Jacob Brown’s smart striker, the game seemed to be getting away from the home side but a double substitution was pivotal as Mousset swept in McGoldrick’s cross before McGoldrick himself stabbed home Stevens’ cross to complete a dramatic three-minute turnaround. It was a crucial three points for the Blades after back-to-back losses prior the two-week layoff.

Manager Jokanovic made one change from the side that began the last league game, a defeat at Bournemouth, with Bogle in for the injured Baldock. Stoke were clearly upwardly mobile having ended the recent spell of games with a victory against league leaders West Brom.

United began the game having more possession but were unable to create any clear chances of note. Fleck was busy and Stevens and Osborn were well involved down the left-hand side but Souttar and Chester remained firm. Norwood sent over a deep cross that evaded Egan before at the other end,
Sharp had to head off the line from a Brown header from Rancic’s cross. Smith was booked fort pulling Fleck back in a relatively even game thus far.

United moved the ball across and it was moved to the left for Sharp to dink over a cross but Gibbs White’s header was off target and Stoke eventually cleared. At the other end, Brown had an effort on goal from Powell’s through ball and Olsen had to be alert to make the save and then had to be alert to react to Vrancic on the rebound.

Stoke had a better spell of play after United had begun as the better side and the away side had looked more likely to create chances in a relatively even game overall.

United had a good spell though after this and Ndiaye went down from a challenge but referee Stroud saw nothing doing and waved play on before Bogle had a shot that hit Ndiaye. Soon after Norwood’s cross was met by Sharp but saved by Davies from close range and then Ndiaye had a shot on the turn saved by the keeper. It had been better from the home side who had upped the tempo and ended the half as the better team.

The second half saw the Blades get deep into Stoke territory and after good work from Bogle down the right where he stood up his man despite a strong challenge, Fleck teed it up for Stevens who drilled narrowly wide.

Buoyed by this let off, Stoke went forward as the other end and BROWN came out of midfield and as Norwood and Egan stood off, the midfielder arrowed a fierce shot away from Olsen and right into the corner of the net. It was a great strike but there had been little pressure on the ball to stop the turn and shot.

The Blades made a change as Mousset came on for Osborn. The game became scrappy for a period and Stoke started to show a level of control. Stoke had a half chance as Powell fired wide before United made more changes with Hourihane and McGoldrick on for Norwood and Ndiaye. The game was entering the final 15 minutes and the home side had struggled to make much headway and keeper Davies had not had a save to make in the second half.

Finally, the Blades showed some pace and fluidity to an attack as they got level. Sharp flicked on and McGoldrick found MOUSSET who fired past Davies and the Blades were level. Stoke now sensed they were on the back foot and United suddenly had a second wind and within three minutes they were ahead.

The ball was played down the left and Stevens was well advanced and sent over an inviting cross and MCGOLDRICK stabbed home at the near post. The turnaround was complete and the Blades were ahead!

Soon after Sharp smashed over when well placed and then Fleck had a chance too. Stoke were stunned and even though they threw men forward with Fletcher and Surridge up top, they struggled to create much as the game entered four additional minutes of stoppage time. The Blades defended well and were able to see the game out with a minimum of fuss to seal a vital three points.

United – A vital win. Was it a fantastic performance? Not really. I think we played better at Bournemouth being honest but we finally showed some resolve and character to come back and win a game. So many times, we have gone behind and never realty looked like coming back. Today I felt that was the case as at 0-1, they looked in complete control and for 10-15 minutes we seemed to lose any kind of confidence and the body language was poor. I am not sure at 70-75 minutes anyone could foresee us even getting a draw let alone three points. Fair play to the manager and the players who came on who made things happen and we scored two good goals to turn it around. We have been waiting for some kind of impact from the likes of Mousset (and indeed McGoldrick) and today they came on and changed things from the bench.

The first half was quite drab. The game began with nothing really happening and the pace was so slow. We had an ok period and a few balls going across but then they had a good spell and Olsen made two expected but smart stops as they got through us too easily. We seemed slow and sluggish to attack talking too long to move it on and hesitant when they got the ball into the box. We did actually have a good spell for the final part of the half and Gibbs White headed wide and Sharp missed a really good chance as we finally upped the tempo. I suppose 0-0 at half time was about right. They were a few chances but neither side really had any kind of control. I felt it was a poor game and lacked quality either way really.

2nd half we had a really good opening few minutes but Stevens sent a shot just wide and then they went up and scored a good goal. It all seemed too easy but credit to the scorer for a good turn and shot I suppose. After this I felt our heads dropped and they started to knock it about for the first time and had a few chances to maybe make it safe. We lacked any kind of creativity or spark and even with the changes, I was not convinced we would get back into it. Davies had made one save from Sharp from the point-blank header in the first half and a more routine one from Ndiaye but 2nd half not sure he had anything to do at all really and we looked a bit spent.

Mousset and McGoldrick came on and they gave us something different and then the goal came. Some quick fluid football and Mousset took it well and then minutes later we score again with a good cross and tidy finish from Didzy. McGoldrick was involved in both key moments of course and definitely made a big difference. Mousset also caused problems of course. I am not sure Osborn or Ndiaye were bad but the two incomers made a difference.

At 0-1 at 75-8-0 minutes, it looked bleak but fair play, the subs made a difference and after we went ahead, weirdly we seemed in control as it was the Stoke heads that dropped. Did we deserve to win? Maybe not. It was a relatively even game and they had a good spell 2nd half after an even 1st half but then they did not push on and conceded two poor goals – the type we normally concede with crosses/balls to set up chances.

I certainly did not come away today and think we were fantastic. I felt we actually might have been better first half than second half as odd as that sounds! We were ok and I suppose Stoke have been flying high but we did show some resilience and character to come back – often when we go behind then I think we are done but today that did not happen. It is nice to see some strikers come on and make a difference. It was a relatively tight game but one that we came out the right side, after it being the other way around last time out. The division is clearly wide open. We have seen us play Bournemouth and Stoke and we have been as good as both these top 6 sides with two contrasting results. I am not sure there is much in the whole division. We do have greater strength in depth, as much as we malign the strikers we do have in reserve or back up, than many other sides. We saw this today as they turned the game.

We maybe shaded the first half but after they scored we looked poor and the comeback did not look likely but fair play we showed some real character.

I am not convinced we look any closer to this fluent, cohesive or dynamic side Slav envisages at all but we did at least show some resolve. Overall, the game today was even and little in it. We at least took our chances and made sure the vital moments we seized upon. I am still not wholly convinced by the system, style or where we are going as much as that may seem negative after a win – I am not sure we are going to go on long winning runs anytime soon. We still look soft and weak through the middle and we concede too easy and at the other end it is too hard to score. I feel it is still hard work for some of the talent we have to win games against some quite average sides. The players need to up the tempo and urgency more consistently. Today, we did that for a spell (a bit like Bournemouth last week) and it turned the game but we need to be at it more consistently. I did not come away and think,
‘Wow, that was great!’ I thought we won. It was ok but we still look a long way off a side that will consistently win games, even at this level due to this inability to constantly turn the tap on and it seems to be infrequent bursts still. I am not sure we look close to a promotion contending side and still look all the world a ‘nice but soft’ mid table side. Maybe that seems harsh after a win against a high flyer but I would have said the same after a defeat the other week against a good side.

Be interesting if he pitches some of the player who did well from the bench, with a starting place in the week as we face another big and physical side in Millwall. It is important we follow up a good result with another and do not be a win one, lose one, draw one type of team. We now need to try and put a run together to move nearer the top six.

Ratings:

Olsen 6.5/10 – Did not have much to do but made one smart-ish save first half and reacted well to the rebound too. Had little else to do really and then on the goal had little chance with no protection. After this not sure he had many saves to make at all (neither keeper did). Given a lot of the ball on the ground, sometimes way too much but he did ok with what he was given on the floor.

Bogle 6/10 – Ok I suppose. Not sure I noticed him much either way (not sure if that is good or bad). Defensively I cannot really any clear errors but not sure he got forward to cause many problems either. One run 2nd half where he came inside and helped set up the Stevens chance. Not sure he was any worse or better than Baldock has been.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Started the game quite far forward and was involved in a few attacks and recall one good ball in but nothing direct came from him. Defensively he was ok I suppose. 2nd half we did see more of him after we let one in and of course he set up the winner with a good cross. He had one chance arrowed just wide at 0-0 too.

Davies 6/10 – Ok but still seems rather timid in the challenge. On the ball he is fine and uses it ok but when it is a 50-50 or aerial ball, I am not convinced he will come out on top. A few times the ball came off a challenge he needed to win and he did not dominate. A nice footballer but is that what we need?

Egan 6/10 – Solid enough but then the chance in the first half when two efforts came at goal, we looked open down the middle; and then on the goal we stood off as the lad came inside and had too long to take a shot. I am still not convinced when balls come in or teams come at us, the defence is solid enough to nullify attacks and feel we look too open.

Norwood 5/10 – Thought he started the game with a few routine passes but then became slow and took too many touches. He then gave it away with a few loose passes. His set plays were mostly poor and as the game became scrappy, we lost control of midfield. On the goal the man came off him and turned and shot too easy to score. We look way too timid and soft in this area still and do not offer a consistent goal/assist threat the other way. Came off and whilst Hourihane did not do much on the ball we seemed to have more tempo as we attacked?

Fleck 6.5/10 – Our best midfielder in that he did a few good runs first half where he dropped the shoulder and at least penetrated. Looked to get involved and a few of our half chances came from him running at the defence. Up and down and a few times he lost it but kept trying and we saw this second half as he linked with Stevens and then the subs a few times. Not great but better than others in this area.

Osborn 5.5/10 – Not his day today. Started off involved with a few bits of link play but then the game started to become scrappy and we saw less and less of him. He took too many touches when he had it and got crowded out a fair bit. 2nd half not involved as we had our poorest spell after we went behind and he came off.

Gibbs White 6/10 – Odd as when he had it looked good but for way too long, the game seemed to pass him by and he flitted in and out. He showed some nice touches and flicks. Had one overhead kick blocked and a few other moments but not sure anything direct came from him even though he kept trying. They did press him and double up on him a few times when he had it.

Ndiaye 6/10 – As above. He always tried to get on it and showed some nice touches and runs but he was not always influential and the game sort of became scrappy. He shows good physical strength and clearly has lovely body control and can burst though occasionally but not sure we saw enough of it (when he did this Stoke struggled and we got them turned). 2nd half he was not in it and after we trailed, he then came off.

Sharp 6/10 – Not hugely involved early on but then his influence started to grow and did some good stuff linking play and coming off from the defence but missed a good headed chance when he should have scored really. He kept going and even though not sure he had any other chances till the late blazed over shot, but he worked hard and of course was involved in the leveller. Not his best game but still industrious.

Subs –

Mousset – Came on down the left and looked lively and ‘up for it’ and then got in a great position to score coolly for the leveller. He showed some good pace and running and definitely made a difference.

Hourihane – Not sure he was massively involved despite the game turning around after he came on but once we went in front, he was neat and tidy in the few touches he had to help see the game out.

McGoldrick – 13 minutes and what an impact. Did he did loads? No! However, two huge moments turned the game around. He set up the leveller and then scored the winner, being on the spot. Clearly a massive impact and showed whatever doubts about where or how he fits, he still has a lot to offer! Effectively turned the game! I do not mark players less than 30 minutes but he might have been man of the match in such a limited spell!

Manager Jokanovic 7/10 – The subs changed the game round. By luck or clever calculation; we had two subs who scored the goals that won the game. He is persisting with this formation but we see the highs and lows of trying to play out. I felt the tempo was woefully slow at times but for 15 minutes end of the first half we looked good and stepped it up. After we conceded, the heads seemed to drop and the changes did give us some new life. Not sure the outgoing players were particularly bad but it did give is a big lift of course. He will know we need to put a run of 4 or 5 games together – not 2 wins, 2 losses as it had been.

Stoke – Seemed to have been treading water for a few years and gone through quite a few managers. If anything since coming down they have been closer to going down again than coming up and actually there start after they came down a few years ago was similar to ours. A heavily bloated squad full of high earners that on paper should be right near the top but the reality was players were struggling, the system they had was not working anymore and they need to offload loads before they could start a transition. It is worryingly similar to us. They ended up having to cut back hugely financially and now have a squad of some experienced players but a fair few young ones mixed with solid Championship players. It did not work under the likes of Rowett and Jones but O’Neil seems to be getting it right slowly. Last season they were very ordinary but have had a good start this season. They may not look anything like many of the others at the top in terms of quality but he has them well organised and they are winning games. They seem to be on a real upward curve and the division is so wide open, you would not be surprised if they could mount a serious play off push.

Today, there was little in the game. It was even really first half. We started ok, then they had a spell and a few moments and we finished the half well. 0-0 was about right. Both keepers had made one save of note but neither side had really dominated. After the break we started better but then after Stevens narrowly missed, the lad Brown scored a really good strike. After this they played well for 15-20 minutes and Powell had a chance but they did not put the game away and then poor defending twice (the sort we normally show) saw two quick goals and the game had completely turned around. Not sure they even offered much of a fight back after this and the game sort of petered out. They seemed somewhat stunned and it was too late really.

They looked an ok side but as I have said before there is nothing in the whole league from maybe 3rd to 18th. Any team can beat anyone. They are a physical big side and will outmuscle many but also showed they can be sloppy too. I look at them on paper and watching them in person today and not convinced they are really any better than us at all.

Opponent Man of the Match –Brown scored a really good goal and had another effort. I thought Vrancic was decent and offered a threat from open play and set play. Powell and Sawyers are solid players who are good technically but today not sure either had their best game.

Opponent Weak link – The big lad Souttar may have looked imposing but felt he was a weak link and on the goals, he was slow to react twice. I also thought Davies, the keeper, was slow to react on the 2nd goal. Seemed to go in too easy.

Referee/Officials – Keith Stroud. Thought he was poor. Seen him before and nothing today changed my opinion. Finickity and fussy. At times the game should have flowed more but he seemed to want to be noticed too much. Not sure of any bad decisions and the penalty appeal first half seemed a big ask from us but it was a push on Ndiaye but overall, we noticed him too much for a nothing sort of game with rarely a bad tackle. He gave some odd free kicks – like the one on the keeper which was never a foul when the Stoke player fouled him! Smith was booked for a cynical foul on Fleck and then Brown for showing his bra after the goal. We did not get a yellow card.

Matchday/Crowd – Felt it was quiet sadly for such a big crowd and like the Derby game, there was more noise from the away minority. Stoke fans were passionate and loud. Blades fans started to groan a bit at 0-1 but then as we came back the levels of course went up and helped see us through. A standing ovation for Mousset for completing 20 minutes was amusing but of course Didz got the biggest ovation at the end for turning the game around. Nice to see the ovation for David Brooks on the 36th minute and credit to the Stoke fans for joining in with that.

Amazing the different ways we see the game.

I thought Soutter was their MOTM and I thought Sawyers, a player I rate, was poor.
Sawyers is a class player but was an absolute liability, fell asleep for McGoldricks goal!

Strange report I think, looking at the marks MGW must be worth more than a 6 given who else got one, plus the managers subs instantly win us the game and gets a 7, we have become used to chucking McBurnie on and using him as a battering ram when chasing the game, it seemed like a well thought out change and worked perfectly.

United – A vital win. Was it a fantastic performance? Not really. I think we played better at Bournemouth being honest but we finally showed some resolve and character to come back and win a game. So many times, we have gone behind and never realty looked like coming back. Today I felt that was the case as at 0-1, they looked in complete control and for 10-15 minutes we seemed to lose any kind of confidence and the body language was poor. I am not sure at 70-75 minutes anyone could foresee us even getting a draw let alone three points. Fair play to the manager and the players who came on who made things happen and we scored two good goals to turn it around. We have been waiting for some kind of impact from the likes of Mousset (and indeed McGoldrick) and today they came on and changed things from the bench.

The first half was quite drab. The game began with nothing really happening and the pace was so slow. We had an ok period and a few balls going across but then they had a good spell and Olsen made two expected but smart stops as they got through us too easily. We seemed slow and sluggish to attack talking too long to move it on and hesitant when they got the ball into the box. We did actually have a good spell for the final part of the half and Gibbs White headed wide and Sharp missed a really good chance as we finally upped the tempo. I suppose 0-0 at half time was about right. They were a few chances but neither side really had any kind of control. I felt it was a poor game and lacked quality either way really.

2nd half we had a really good opening few minutes but Stevens sent a shot just wide and then they went up and scored a good goal. It all seemed too easy but credit to the scorer for a good turn and shot I suppose. After this I felt our heads dropped and they started to knock it about for the first time and had a few chances to maybe make it safe. We lacked any kind of creativity or spark and even with the changes, I was not convinced we would get back into it. Davies had made one save from Sharp from the point-blank header in the first half and a more routine one from Ndiaye but 2nd half not sure he had anything to do at all really and we looked a bit spent.

Mousset and McGoldrick came on and they gave us something different and then the goal came. Some quick fluid football and Mousset took it well and then minutes later we score again with a good cross and tidy finish from Didzy. McGoldrick was involved in both key moments of course and definitely made a big difference. Mousset also caused problems of course. I am not sure Osborn or Ndiaye were bad but the two incomers made a difference.

At 0-1 at 75-8-0 minutes, it looked bleak but fair play, the subs made a difference and after we went ahead, weirdly we seemed in control as it was the Stoke heads that dropped. Did we deserve to win? Maybe not. It was a relatively even game and they had a good spell 2nd half after an even 1st half but then they did not push on and conceded two poor goals – the type we normally concede with crosses/balls to set up chances.

I certainly did not come away today and think we were fantastic. I felt we actually might have been better first half than second half as odd as that sounds! We were ok and I suppose Stoke have been flying high but we did show some resilience and character to come back – often when we go behind then I think we are done but today that did not happen. It is nice to see some strikers come on and make a difference. It was a relatively tight game but one that we came out the right side, after it being the other way around last time out. The division is clearly wide open. We have seen us play Bournemouth and Stoke and we have been as good as both these top 6 sides with two contrasting results. I am not sure there is much in the whole division. We do have greater strength in depth, as much as we malign the strikers we do have in reserve or back up, than many other sides. We saw this today as they turned the game.

We maybe shaded the first half but after they scored we looked poor and the comeback did not look likely but fair play we showed some real character.

I am not convinced we look any closer to this fluent, cohesive or dynamic side Slav envisages at all but we did at least show some resolve. Overall, the game today was even and little in it. We at least took our chances and made sure the vital moments we seized upon. I am still not wholly convinced by the system, style or where we are going as much as that may seem negative after a win – I am not sure we are going to go on long winning runs anytime soon. We still look soft and weak through the middle and we concede too easy and at the other end it is too hard to score. I feel it is still hard work for some of the talent we have to win games against some quite average sides. The players need to up the tempo and urgency more consistently. Today, we did that for a spell (a bit like Bournemouth last week) and it turned the game but we need to be at it more consistently. I did not come away and think,
‘Wow, that was great!’ I thought we won. It was ok but we still look a long way off a side that will consistently win games, even at this level due to this inability to constantly turn the tap on and it seems to be infrequent bursts still. I am not sure we look close to a promotion contending side and still look all the world a ‘nice but soft’ mid table side. Maybe that seems harsh after a win against a high flyer but I would have said the same after a defeat the other week against a good side.

Be interesting if he pitches some of the player who did well from the bench, with a starting place in the week as we face another big and physical side in Millwall. It is important we follow up a good result with another and do not be a win one, lose one, draw one type of team. We now need to try and put a run together to move nearer the top six.

Ratings:

Olsen 6.5/10 – Did not have much to do but made one smart-ish save first half and reacted well to the rebound too. Had little else to do really and then on the goal had little chance with no protection. After this not sure he had many saves to make at all (neither keeper did). Given a lot of the ball on the ground, sometimes way too much but he did ok with what he was given on the floor.

Bogle 6/10 – Ok I suppose. Not sure I noticed him much either way (not sure if that is good or bad). Defensively I cannot really any clear errors but not sure he got forward to cause many problems either. One run 2nd half where he came inside and helped set up the Stevens chance. Not sure he was any worse or better than Baldock has been.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Started the game quite far forward and was involved in a few attacks and recall one good ball in but nothing direct came from him. Defensively he was ok I suppose. 2nd half we did see more of him after we let one in and of course he set up the winner with a good cross. He had one chance arrowed just wide at 0-0 too.

Davies 6/10 – Ok but still seems rather timid in the challenge. On the ball he is fine and uses it ok but when it is a 50-50 or aerial ball, I am not convinced he will come out on top. A few times the ball came off a challenge he needed to win and he did not dominate. A nice footballer but is that what we need?

Egan 6/10 – Solid enough but then the chance in the first half when two efforts came at goal, we looked open down the middle; and then on the goal we stood off as the lad came inside and had too long to take a shot. I am still not convinced when balls come in or teams come at us, the defence is solid enough to nullify attacks and feel we look too open.

Norwood 5/10 – Thought he started the game with a few routine passes but then became slow and took too many touches. He then gave it away with a few loose passes. His set plays were mostly poor and as the game became scrappy, we lost control of midfield. On the goal the man came off him and turned and shot too easy to score. We look way too timid and soft in this area still and do not offer a consistent goal/assist threat the other way. Came off and whilst Hourihane did not do much on the ball we seemed to have more tempo as we attacked?

Fleck 6.5/10 – Our best midfielder in that he did a few good runs first half where he dropped the shoulder and at least penetrated. Looked to get involved and a few of our half chances came from him running at the defence. Up and down and a few times he lost it but kept trying and we saw this second half as he linked with Stevens and then the subs a few times. Not great but better than others in this area.

Osborn 5.5/10 – Not his day today. Started off involved with a few bits of link play but then the game started to become scrappy and we saw less and less of him. He took too many touches when he had it and got crowded out a fair bit. 2nd half not involved as we had our poorest spell after we went behind and he came off.

Gibbs White 6/10 – Odd as when he had it looked good but for way too long, the game seemed to pass him by and he flitted in and out. He showed some nice touches and flicks. Had one overhead kick blocked and a few other moments but not sure anything direct came from him even though he kept trying. They did press him and double up on him a few times when he had it.

Ndiaye 6/10 – As above. He always tried to get on it and showed some nice touches and runs but he was not always influential and the game sort of became scrappy. He shows good physical strength and clearly has lovely body control and can burst though occasionally but not sure we saw enough of it (when he did this Stoke struggled and we got them turned). 2nd half he was not in it and after we trailed, he then came off.

Sharp 6/10 – Not hugely involved early on but then his influence started to grow and did some good stuff linking play and coming off from the defence but missed a good headed chance when he should have scored really. He kept going and even though not sure he had any other chances till the late blazed over shot, but he worked hard and of course was involved in the leveller. Not his best game but still industrious.

Subs –

Mousset – Came on down the left and looked lively and ‘up for it’ and then got in a great position to score coolly for the leveller. He showed some good pace and running and definitely made a difference.

Hourihane – Not sure he was massively involved despite the game turning around after he came on but once we went in front, he was neat and tidy in the few touches he had to help see the game out.

McGoldrick – 13 minutes and what an impact. Did he did loads? No! However, two huge moments turned the game around. He set up the leveller and then scored the winner, being on the spot. Clearly a massive impact and showed whatever doubts about where or how he fits, he still has a lot to offer! Effectively turned the game! I do not mark players less than 30 minutes but he might have been man of the match in such a limited spell!

Manager Jokanovic 7/10 – The subs changed the game round. By luck or clever calculation; we had two subs who scored the goals that won the game. He is persisting with this formation but we see the highs and lows of trying to play out. I felt the tempo was woefully slow at times but for 15 minutes end of the first half we looked good and stepped it up. After we conceded, the heads seemed to drop and the changes did give us some new life. Not sure the outgoing players were particularly bad but it did give is a big lift of course. He will know we need to put a run of 4 or 5 games together – not 2 wins, 2 losses as it had been.

Stoke – Seemed to have been treading water for a few years and gone through quite a few managers. If anything since coming down they have been closer to going down again than coming up and actually there start after they came down a few years ago was similar to ours. A heavily bloated squad full of high earners that on paper should be right near the top but the reality was players were struggling, the system they had was not working anymore and they need to offload loads before they could start a transition. It is worryingly similar to us. They ended up having to cut back hugely financially and now have a squad of some experienced players but a fair few young ones mixed with solid Championship players. It did not work under the likes of Rowett and Jones but O’Neil seems to be getting it right slowly. Last season they were very ordinary but have had a good start this season. They may not look anything like many of the others at the top in terms of quality but he has them well organised and they are winning games. They seem to be on a real upward curve and the division is so wide open, you would not be surprised if they could mount a serious play off push.

Today, there was little in the game. It was even really first half. We started ok, then they had a spell and a few moments and we finished the half well. 0-0 was about right. Both keepers had made one save of note but neither side had really dominated. After the break we started better but then after Stevens narrowly missed, the lad Brown scored a really good strike. After this they played well for 15-20 minutes and Powell had a chance but they did not put the game away and then poor defending twice (the sort we normally show) saw two quick goals and the game had completely turned around. Not sure they even offered much of a fight back after this and the game sort of petered out. They seemed somewhat stunned and it was too late really.

They looked an ok side but as I have said before there is nothing in the whole league from maybe 3rd to 18th. Any team can beat anyone. They are a physical big side and will outmuscle many but also showed they can be sloppy too. I look at them on paper and watching them in person today and not convinced they are really any better than us at all.

Opponent Man of the Match –Brown scored a really good goal and had another effort. I thought Vrancic was decent and offered a threat from open play and set play. Powell and Sawyers are solid players who are good technically but today not sure either had their best game.

Opponent Weak link – The big lad Souttar may have looked imposing but felt he was a weak link and on the goals, he was slow to react twice. I also thought Davies, the keeper, was slow to react on the 2nd goal. Seemed to go in too easy.

Referee/Officials – Keith Stroud. Thought he was poor. Seen him before and nothing today changed my opinion. Finickity and fussy. At times the game should have flowed more but he seemed to want to be noticed too much. Not sure of any bad decisions and the penalty appeal first half seemed a big ask from us but it was a push on Ndiaye but overall, we noticed him too much for a nothing sort of game with rarely a bad tackle. He gave some odd free kicks – like the one on the keeper which was never a foul when the Stoke player fouled him! Smith was booked for a cynical foul on Fleck and then Brown for showing his bra after the goal. We did not get a yellow card.

Matchday/Crowd – Felt it was quiet sadly for such a big crowd and like the Derby game, there was more noise from the away minority. Stoke fans were passionate and loud. Blades fans started to groan a bit at 0-1 but then as we came back the levels of course went up and helped see us through. A standing ovation for Mousset for completing 20 minutes was amusing but of course Didz got the biggest ovation at the end for turning the game around. Nice to see the ovation for David Brooks on the 36th minute and credit to the Stoke fans for joining in with that.
Surprised you weren't convinced we deserved to win. You seem to judge both teams by different standards. United looked far more like scoring when on top and actually created the better chances. Mcgoldrick, by the way, did do loads. He produced the match winning quality to win the game. You dont need to put a caveat on praise all the time. Sometimes, players and management deserve to be lauded. Today was one of them.

Surprised you weren't convinced we deserved to win. You seem to judge both teams by different standards. United looked far more like scoring when on top and actually created the better chances. Mcgoldrick, by the way, did do loads. He produced the match winning quality to win the game. You dont need to put a caveat on praise all the time. Sometimes, players and management deserve to be lauded. Today was one of them.

I'm not sure we deserve to be lauded. We were ok but not amazing. We produced two good moments near the end but overall it was a tight game that could have gone either way. We were better 1st half than the 2nd weirdly. I'm not sure it was a wholly convincing performance collectively or individually.

I think 6-6.5s were about right I'm not sure anyone played that well. Noone was awful either though. There were many OK to decent showings but McGokdrick was MoM in 13 minutes

Amazing the different ways we see the game.

I thought Soutter was their MOTM and I thought Sawyers, a player I rate, was poor.

They were wide open at the back from 80 to 85. We scored 2 and could have had another. I felt for an imposing centre back he was nowhere to be seen at these key moments.

I felt some of the better stuff came from Sawyers probing even though he was quieter than normal when I've seen him.

Bert enjoyed the first half.

Most of your marks are too low, Gibbs-White in particular.

He did a few flicks and tricks and showed his quality on the ball too but felt he took too long at times and 2nd half not sure I noticed him much. He did not have any clear moments where he created something or had any efforts. Just felt there was no end product. He was decent but has had much better and more influential games for us thus far.

Usually my own view of a game isn't that far off your very detailed report however I'm really not sure how you've come to your ratings/review today.

I couldn't get to the game today (long story and aided by a solid vpn) so watched on TV. I thought the 1st 20 minutes or so were pretty even but then we pretty much took control for the rest of the 1st half and were unfortunate to go in evens at half time (story of our season).

I thought we had a really ropey spell before and after their goal, probably lasting around 20 minutes, but apart from that felt we were by far the better team overall and deserved the victory.

Some of our attacking play was a joy to watch at times and, whilst not always resulting in good end product, I can truly see where Slav is wanting to take this team.

I'm not sure we deserve to be lauded. We were ok but not amazing. We produced two good moments near the end but overall it was a tight game that could have gone either way. We were better 1st half than the 2nd weirdly. I'm not sure it was a wholly convincing performance collectively or individually.

I think 6-6.5s were about right I'm not sure anyone played that well. Noone was awful either though. There were many OK to decent showings but McGokdrick was MoM in 13 minutes
I think the point is you don't have to be amazing. We will not dominate any team for 90 minutes. Today we probably were on top for over 65% of the game. Created more chances, played better incisive football, scored more and conceded less than the opposition. I feel if it were Stoke who had done this you would have been more praiseworthy. We did well today and so did our manager. You will always see a downside because the team is evolving. We have improved enormously from the first few matches. Give credit where it's due.

Usually my own view of a game isn't that far off your very detailed report however I'm really not sure how you've come to your ratings/review today.

I couldn't get to the game today (long story and aided by a solid vpn) so watched on TV. I thought the 1st 20 minutes or so were pretty even but then we pretty much took control for the rest of the 1st half and were unfortunate to go in evens at half time (story of our season).

I thought we had a really ropey spell before and after their goal, probably lasting around 20 minutes, but apart from that felt we were by far the better team overall and deserved the victory.

Some of our attacking play was a joy to watch at times and, whilst not always resulting in good end product, I can truly see where Slav is wanting to take this team.

This isn’t too far off for me - I think you saw a more idealised version of what I did.

I think the truth is between this and DB’s vision of desolation; we shaded it overall, and played some good stuff for most of the first half, but it never quite clicked until the last 10-15.

This isn’t too far off for me - I think you saw a more idealised version of what I did.

I think the truth is between this and DB’s vision of desolation; we shaded it overall, and played some good stuff for most of the first half, but it never quite clicked until the last 10-15.
I think the problem is we dont have yet the players for the managers preferred system (specifically at least one winger and a pacy target man). This means its a struggle unless we score first goal. When the opposition is chasing the game It suits us more, if they score first we have to play with much more pace and urgency and with this group of players somrtimes it will come off, like today .

I'm inclined to be more positive about both the performance today and the overall state of our season. I thought we deserved the win today against a pretty decent Stoke team. If the goals had gone in during one of the spells where we were quite dominant either side of half time then I think it would've felt a bit more emphatic. As it was, they came during by far our worst spell of the match and it made the win feel a bit less well-deserved than it actually was.

We play some nice stuff going forwards but lack a clinical edge--at times we're a bit like Wilder's team in the first season in the Championship, with plenty of possession and territory but somehow contriving not to get the goals. The question is whether we can go one level up and become something closer to Wilder's promotion team.

Our form since the previous international break is P7 W4 D1 L2. Over the remainder of the season that form gets us into the play offs, I think. We haven't been outplayed by anyone in that run and arguably deserved more points from one or two of those games. We have some problems for sure (the defence is the main one for me) but I think we're in a better position than you suggested.

Bert enjoyed the first half.

Most of your marks are too low, Gibbs-White in particular.
I'd tend to agree. The first half started slow but I was entertained. I thought we had 4 decent scoring chances first half which is a vast improvement on earlier season. Gibbs-White header, N'Diaye with his left, Billy with the header and the overhead kick. Proper decent chances rather than scrambles.

On their goal which you could see coming in so much that we'd kept spurning good chances, I thought it was Fleck's 'fault'. I say in inverted commas because he slipped at a vital moment and that created a bit of na opening for them. I'm not sure he'd have had the space if Fleck had not been out of the game.

I also thought Stevens was much improved bad far more dominant. Shame he couldn't have put that shot just inside the far post.

A few reviews are downbeat but I felt we could have beaten them easily with a bit note luck/composure.

Yes they will feel bad losing from a winning position, but if it had been 3-1 at half time I think they could have had few complaints.

I'm inclined to be more positive about both the performance today and the overall state of our season. I thought we deserved the win today against a pretty decent Stoke team. If the goals had gone in during one of the spells where we were quite dominant either side of half time then I think it would've felt a bit more emphatic. As it was, they came during by far our worst spell of the match and it made the win feel a bit less well-deserved than it actually was.

We play some nice stuff going forwards but lack a clinical edge--at times we're a bit like Wilder's team in the first season in the Championship, with plenty of possession and territory but somehow contriving not to get the goals. The question is whether we can go one level up and become something closer to Wilder's promotion team.

Our form since the previous international break is P7 W4 D1 L2. Over the remainder of the season that form gets us into the play offs, I think. We haven't been outplayed by anyone in that run and arguably deserved more points from one or two of those games. We have some problems for sure (the defence is the main one for me) but I think we're in a better position than you suggested.

Some fair points. Stoke are the first decent side we have beaten this season though and the run of results is mostly against poorer sides.

Maybe I am overly negative (generally not just yesterday!) but I did not see the domination many describe. The game was even to start but they had the best chance of the first half with the header off the line. Olsen made two saves too on one attack. I felt the 3 Stoke chances were as good if not better than the Sharp Ndiaye and Gibbs White chances...the latter two were not even on target and I felt not clear ones. Sharp should have scored.

2nd half either side of the Brown goal, Stevens and Powell had shots narrowly wide for both sides.

Over the game I'm not sure we had loads more chances than them as some seem to be suggesting?

However I agree after an even first 20-25, we ended the first half really well with good tempo and started the first 5 mins of the 2nd half the same. So we were on top for 25 mins. However, Stoke were well on too after the goal for 25 minutes really.

I am not sure we even looked like scoring and their keeper had nothing to do after the first half until 80 mins. We did not have an effort close after the Stevens one on 52-53 mins was it? I can barely recall an attack if note after this let alone any sustained possession or pressure.

We were better than them for a 20 min spell in the 1st half They were better than us for a 20 min spell in the 2nd half. The rest I felt was even on possession, chances and control of the game.

If anyone deserved to win, it was us but I felt only just rather than us being much better than them for most if the game.

The goals came out of the blue really and was a bizarre 3 minutes. We had not built up any pressure uo to this point at all and then bang bang.

Hope above qualifies my reading of the game even if people disagree which is fine. I stand by that no players were excellent or close. I thought Norwood and Osborn were ineffectual but the rest were OK. Fleck maybe the stand out of the starters in terms if getting on it and Stevens decent too. Maybe I was half a mark too low on those two and Gibbs White but again for a creative player not sure what we actually created from his play yesterday?

As I say it's a game of opinions but I am still not wholly convinced I see a side that is going to go on a consistent winning run. There is improvements from where we were I agree though.

Yesterday we won a tight game. The other week we lost one. I think we will continue to see this with United for the next period of the season as we play a lot of teams around the same area as us. Hope I am wrong and we can finish this week with 2 wins against an average Millwall and a poor Barnsley side. If we are serious about playoffs then we need to be taking 4-6 points from these two.

I'm not someone who is tied to xG but to add to this discussion, Infogoal has this as 2.07 vs 0.64 in United's favour.

Must say DB, I normally agree with your match reports and player ratings, but think everyone is at least a mark lower than I'd give, some of them two. I also really enjoyed the performance and the game.

I set off hoping for a draw, but fearing we might lose. When Stoke came out of the tunnel, I saw the size of them and thought we would be outmuscled and bullied, and that Stoke were a savvy team. I also thought if we concede any corners, then we are in trouble. We outfootballed them first half, and should have been in front at half time. When they scored I feared the worst, but a couple of good substitutions, and we got what we deserved at the end.

I enjoyed the style of football, I thought the pace was ok. Osborn played well I thought, and Norwood played well. He hasn't always, but he was better than ok yesterday IMO. I struggled to think of a poor performance. Olsen gave me a couple of heart stoppers 2nd half, and Billy was below par but made up for it with his contributions to the two goals.

Please keep doing the reports, as I thoroughly enjoy reading them, but I think you were a bit hard on Utd individually and collectively yesterday. Just my opinion, you may well disagree. 😁 UTB

Olsen 5.5/10
Bogle 7/10
Egan 7/10
Davies 7.5/10
Enda 7/10
Norwood 6/10
Fleck 6.5/10
Osborn 7/10
Ndiaye 7/10
MGW 7/10
Sharp 7/10

Mousse 7/10
Didsy 7.5/10
Hourihane 6.5/10

As for Stoke; they are no longer physical cloggers. They are similar to us in that they're undergoing a change of identity and it showed yesterday. It seems that sides who want to play openly we do well against but sides like B'ham, WBA, PNE & Boro mentally and physically dominate us.

Yeah I think we were as good if not better overall v Bournemouth but goals and results shape opinions. Nice to score two goals that were easier in construction than it has been for large parts of the season.

As you say Roygbiv we draw or lose that and people will maybe say it was an OK performance.

I will watch the game back maybe and see if ai change my opinion.

I was a bit more generous than you Deadbat but I can see where you're coming from.
What a strange game

First half was fairly even until the final 10 when we should have scored.

Nice flowing attacking play from Gibbs-White, Ndiaye, Fleck and Norwood.

Second half felt subdued and when they scored they looked a completely different team.

McGoldrick making a huge difference when he came on and it shows how much more dangerous attacking is when you're playing first time balls. The first knocked the stuffing out of them and the second killed them.

Olsen - 6 - Not a great amount to do. You could argue that he needs to do better with pushing shots to safety and there was a hairy moment kicking out but generally solid.
Stevens - 6 - Thought he was poor first half. Made a lot of bad decisions but kept getting forward. Put a couple of decent balls in and assisted on our second.
Davies - 6 - Weird one. Does most things tidily but then looks a little bit casual at times.
Egan - 5.5 - Should have done better on their goal and looked too indecisive at times at the back. They cut through us far too easily
Bogle - 6 - I thought they had too much room down his side. Hardly got forward first half but much better during the second
Norwood - 6 - Looked lively going forward first half and pinged some great balls around but defensively he was suspect. Awful on their goal and once again gave the ball away badly. He wasn't really in it second half.
Fleck - 6.5 - Looked good first half and drive us forward several times. Dropped deeper with the changes during the second.
Osborn - 5.5 - Looked lively but made a number of bad decisions with final balls and got caught a few times.
Gibbs-White - 7 - Very lively first half but the final ball has just a little short. Had a number of chances and always looks lively.
Ndiaye - 7 - Works hard but makes some bad decisions and runs down blind alleys at times but never stops going. Faded quite badly before coming off.
Sharp - 6 - Didn't think it was his day today although played an important part in our first. Thought he wasn't strong enough on the ball and his best work was out wide.

Subs

Mousset - 5.5 - Sure, he scored, but I thought although he caused problems he lost the ball far too easily and was reckless trying to get it back. Looks far from fit.
McGoldrick - 8 - Changed the game. Came on and caused them problems from the off. Set up the first and scored the second. I suspect he's going to make most of his contributions from the bench but great player to have to come on.
Hourihane - 5 - I don't really see what he adds. He seems to be a less effected Norwood.

Slav - 7 - Odd game but his substitutions won it for us. We were the better team first half but still look so iffy when teams actually attack us. Good win in the end.
I gave the benefit of the doubt to our attacking players but you could equally argue that for all their trick and flicks how much end product is there? Apart from the last 7 minutes of the first half and a 10 minute spell in the second, I don't think either team deserved to win it. They had a spell around the goal of 10-15 minutes as well.

I thought Stoke were fairly poor. At times they easily bossed the midfield but they didn't seem to bother to do it very often. Their tactics were also fairly mad. I mean passing the ball around and then just kicking it anywhere was mad and their keeper just kicked it to Olsen half the time. For all their physical dominance they rarely made use of it. Sawyers looked great on the ball. Cool and calm, shielded it well. He looked like he was on the beach the rest of the time. Several of their players were very slack at tackling back.

Back
Top Bottom