United 2 Plymouth 1 - report / pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ratings:

Ramsdale 4/10 – Little to do first half as they missed one good chance and shot another into his side netting but a few crosses still seemed a bit hesitant and one bobbled out of his hand again. Second half saw one whizz wide but then on the one chance at him he made a bit of a mess of it again I felt. Maybe I am over analysing and certainly others at fault long before but he has to have stronger hands and seems to go in too easy again. I also thought near the end he did a stupid lofted kick out that did not even get to half way that put us under pressure again. 4 may seem harsh but other than one cross he caught first half not sure he did much right or with any authority again and he had nothing to do hardly!

Bogle 6/10 – Thought he was well forward and involved in some decent moves but he gave too much space defensively and they had a few forays down this side and seems to be not close enough at times. He was not as influential as the last round but as I say we did seem to be attacking more down the left. He had a few forays second half before he was taken off on the 70-minute mark. At the moment not sure there is much between him and Baldock on form. Bogle offers more going forward but George is better defensively. I think overall Baldock will still get his place back eventually in the short term.

Stevens 7/10 – Well advanced all game and he was right up into the final third. Just more involved than he has been for some time. Some ok crosses mixed with some poor ones but the fact he just got up the pitch was good. He was definitely more mobile than he has been in terms of running past people and moving into good areas. He was a good outlet throughout. Second half this continued and he could have scored when he used his right foot after some decent quick feet. One poor moment when he had two chances to clear and kept dithering and lost it – this time he refused to use his right foot.

Basham 6/10 – He did not have to defend much early on and played almost as another right winger. Involved in a number of attacks early. Sometimes went too early and a few times he maybe did not quite read things (like the quick free kick) but he was continually up the field. Lovely header and nice to see him get a goal – ironic after we have criticised his heading recently but he buried this one really well. Second half he continued to get up the field well and was involved in a number of attacks and put in a few balls. On the goal we conceded he was really sloppy I felt and failed to cut out the ball although Lundstram had been poor before too. After this he and others started to get a bit sloppy.

Ampadu 7/10 – Like Basham, got forward well and involved in a number of attacks. Had a few moves where he gave it and went and then had the shot that could have been a penalty. Seemed fairly composed when he did come forward and onto it. A few dodgy moments where he let his man go (know it was down the other side but it was his) on the really good chance first half and then gave it away before half time when they broke. I thought though today he was nice and composed on the ball and showed some good sensible play and was decent in most things he did. Nothing remarkable but steady and functional.

Egan 6.5/10 – Did not have much to do really and one of the least involved players for us I felt. They had so little of the ball and so few attacks he did not even have to kick and head it away much. He had little really to do and even the goal and chances came down the side of the defence. He headed a few away at the end as they had a better spell for the final part of the game.

Lundstram 5/10 – Thought he was the least involved and influential of the midfield as we went down the left more first half or it came via Fleck and Norwood more. He had a great chance but missed it badly on the half hour. He just did not see as much of the ball today and was quiet. Then he gave away a few daft fouls before making a mistake that led to the goal. He got on it a bit near the end to see time out but not his best day and he has been the better of the three so far this season.

Fleck 6.5/10 – Definitely more influential than he has been. Seemed to be constantly on the ball. He did have more time than the Premier League level but did lots more positive things than he has been doing in terms of being in motion, linking and probing. Some things again a bit slow but he did have a lot of involvement in many of our attacks and most chances he was involved with either an assist or an assist to an assist. Seemed more like his old self and was looking for the ball and not always just moving it on straight away. He set up a few chances for Brewster with crosses from wide and was able to link better. Still at times not always reacting or doing things as quickly as I would like and at full stretch defensively trying to foul men a few times but some better glimpses and was always involved.

Norwood 6/10 – Had lots of time on the ball to begin with and I felt was steady without having to be too adventurous. Did put some nice switches out and kept it moving but as I say was not pressured. He did give it away once dawdling but most of the time he had so long to do things. Put a few decent balls out first half and then set up the second with a slide rule ball where we passed it through the middle which was a novel change! In possession decent but out of it a struggle again. He gave the ball away and pulled his man back for his usual booking – he seems to do this every game at the moment. He went off as the game seemed to be over but we were poor after the double change. Whether that was down to the substitutions I am not sure as Ampadu was ok there but felt it was just a number of players giving it away and getting sloppy rather than us missing him or Bogle who went off. I worry in the week v Man Utd against mobile, quick and athletic players but then we do not have much choice but to play these three with the injuries we have to Osborn and Berge.

Brewster 5.5/10 – First half had lots of half chances with a shot saved, missed a header and a toed finish, both on the stretch. He just seemed a bit slow to react to a few things but at least was getting in better areas. He was involved in a few decent moves though (such as pull back for Lundstram). He then second half had a great chance. He had to score that – penalty spot under no pressure with time. He hit it straight at keeper and rather snatched at it. He then fell over when given another chance. It seemed like the players were desperate to set him up to get him a goal and today he did have opportunities but did not take them. The co-commentator said he played really well. Not sure I agree with her. He was ok and involved/worked hard and at least got into some great positions and some ok link play but still not sure I can played really well or looks assured in front of goal.

Sharp 7.5/10 – Began the game poorly with a few misses where he took way too long, granted one was probably offside but the second he was just too slow to get it away. He seemed quite slow overall but he did start to get into it and become more involved in the game and just grew into it and by the end was our best player and maybe the most dangerous player on the field. He used good strength and also had some good runs forward. He set up the first goal with a lovely chip and then scored the second with a good run and finish. He then was involved in other chances and I felt they were really worried about him all game. Against League One defences his movement and know how makes up for his lack of pace, mobility and athleticism. Played well today though but do not expect him to start either game next week as he would not get a kick if he did!

Subs –

Baldock – Came on and we started to struggle but maybe that was a coincidence. Not sure he did much wrong but the game just started to turn. He had a few moments where he attacked and took too long to make decisions. At the end was poor in retaining possession in the corner when he could have kept it better.

Bryan – As above really. We just seemed to lose our momentum and the control we had. As I say not sure any of the incoming were making horrific mistakes but we just did not get up the field as much and they did start to find some gaps in our defence and had some chances.

Burke – Looked a threat again with his running and bought a few fouls and got a booking for a defender. A few times did not get his head up and could have made better decisions or seen time out better.

McGoldrick – Did not really get into it. One stupid ball when our player was offside.

Manager Wilder 7/10 – To be fair the attitude was good from the start and we began the game really well and swarmed all over them. We should have led but then had a let off before scoring. We then made it 2-0 and you felt we should coast it. Critics will say his chances upset the rhythm but we started making silly giveaways before that and got a bit sloppy but we did not have as much control after the 2 changes and then the 2 other changes. Maybe he should have left it? Still you cannot legislate for players giving it away and we kept doing that and finally they got one and it was nervy. He gave Brewster a chance and he did not score again so will be disappointed but will be pleased to see some of the old guard such as Sharp, Stevens and Fleck doing better. Had a week ahead where we could be in for some rude awakenings so just hope we can at least be competitive and stay in the next two games. Still, we have won a few games at least recently, albeit in the cup.

Plymouth – Reminded me of watching us all season v better teams. They never got going, sat back, defended and offered little going forward (until the last 20). They struggled to cope with our movement, did not get close to us and it was one way traffic for the first 20-25 minutes. We were all over them but they restricted us to half chances. The big moment came when they had their first real attack and Camara missed badly. After this we scored and they were chasing it and you felt 2nd half we would get away and score a few more but they hung in and then got a goal and had a go. I felt they capitalised on our nerves and pushed us back and another 5-10 minutes and they may have forced extra time. Over the game they were second best though but at least had a go at the end. I felt they gave us too much respect for the most part and sat off. To be fair to them they have had a tiring week with travel and went all the way to Sunderland in the week and won and then back up North to Sheffield. I worked it out as 1,398 miles they have done all in!

Ryan Lowe seems a good up and coming young manager. A bit like Wilder has done well and got promotions at a few clubs and steadily improving his reputation. They are around the middle of League One and will settle for that I am sure after promotion and look to keep building. They played some nice football at times today and have a few decent players but maybe lack a bit of experience.

Opponent Man of the Match – The keeper made a few decent saves and was busy all game but the best player by a mile was the lad Camara. Missed a sitter but then was on the ball and ran at us and looked confident and assured. He was the main threat and made the few chances they had and scored the goal.

Opponent Weak link – Thought the centre backs Opuku and the lad Watt struggled with Sharp’s experience all game so one of those might take this award. I thought Mayor was a talent at Bury and did he play for Wednesday too? Decent technician but he was not in it as our midfield controlled it. The lad Jephcott has been talked up but never had a kick but that was down to service really.

Referee/Officials – Lee Mason. Began giving a ridiculous foul on Fleck where the man ran into him. It was a relatively easy game to ref though. The VAR decision for the goal seemed ridiculous. I thought it was a clear penalty and he raised both hands and saved it! Yes, he protected his face but surely that is a preventing a shot by moving them up there! I know they talk about the natural silhouette or whatever but I don’t get that one. We heard the Aussie guy doing VAR, Jarrod Gillett, say it is in the Green Zone? What does that even mean – is that the area near the body or an area of military operation in Bagdad (listen to the pod!). I have no idea. Outside of this Norwood for us and Watts for them were booked for clear cynical fouls. The rest of the game was quite easy to ref.

Coverage – I enjoyed the musical accompaniment on BBC I player before and at half time! The coverage was odd as the commentator and co commentator seemed to give the pretence they were at the ground but they could not hear each other as they were too far apart – I do wonder if they were even there or even together or in separate studios! The woman, an ex-keeper, Rachel Brown Finnis was frustrating. She kept talking constantly but did have Ramsdale’s number saying how shaky and he looked like he would make mistakes – sure enough he dropped a cross! She was going on about a game with Palace and New Years Day at the Lane! I cannot remember that. Both spent new ways of bringing up how crap we were for the season throwing new stats of ineptitude at us at random moments. Her description of Brewster’s performance was a bit over the top. Odd how we heard the VAR decision also? Are we meant to or was that an error that they were synced up the BBC coverage – they seemed to go and mess with the wires at some point and we heard it all crackling!
Thanks.
Green zone, maybe he was on about Washington DC and had his mind bended by the Hunger games coronation earlier in the week. Apparently lots of people found it overwhelming and he was one of them?
Either take the ball in the face or duck but raise your hands and it's a pelanty

Back
Top Bottom