United 2 Charlton 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've seen your posts in the past Dronnie and it's obvious you don't like target men in your teams, let alone appreciate what they bring to the team. If you feel it's utter bollocks fair enough, ditto your views on target men.
He hates any striker that is over 5 foot 9 inches

And Golden Boy was pure shite. A particular highlight was causing their goal. 6/10 is very generous. Thank fuck for Fleck.

I'm sure the Fan Club will soon be out in force with pitchforks and torches though....

Yeah, thought both Fleck & Coutts were off yesterday. But just because Charlton pressed the life out of them. Coutts just wasn't allowed to pick the ball up off the back three & set the tempo like he usually does.

That said, both dug in. Coutts's own pressing was excellent, right up to the time he went off. Like you say, no natural defender, but he puts in the effort regardless (these days) & is fit enough to do so.

That's what you get with this lot now - even when things aren't going their way, they battle & scrap & fight.

We should give credit to the opposition if they knock us out of our stride.

Clearly Charlton gave it a right go and we did well to come away with the three points after falling behind. The first goal of any match is vital and turnarounds always difficult.

Charlton were among my pre-season 'favourites'. They spent big money in the summer. If Wilder had gone there and we had kept Adkins the league positions could well have been reversed.

Well done Kevin McCabe.

I've seen your posts in the past Dronnie and it's obvious you don't like target men in your teams, let alone appreciate what they bring to the team. If you feel it's utter bollocks fair enough, ditto your views on target men.
When the side I watch and love has had so called "target men" of the ilk of Henderson, Higdon, Sammon, Clarke and now Hanson, so devoid of footballing talent is this any surprise to you and others that my view is as it is ?

I have NO problem with a target man. I DO appreciate what a good target man brings to a side. I WOULD like the target man to be able to consistently control a football. This in turn would enable the ball to "stick" more frequently, retain possession, and build up offensive play patterns. Billy Sharp has played this role to very good effect this very year. Am I asking too much for a profession footballer to be able to do this ?

But I don't believe , as others clearly do, that a target man is an essential ingredient in the modern game. I don't believe it's an essential ingredient for getting out of this league. Recent L1 history backs this up. Why ignore it ??

UTB

I was wondering where I'd heard of their number 21 - Nathan Byrne - before. He's the twat who scored in the 94th minute in the first-leg play-off semi v. Swindon, May 7th 2015.

Nice one, Howard.

Sharp - 5 - Not his best game but he battled and scrapped as hard as ever. Things just weren't landing for him yesterday but it made no difference in the end. He'll bag a brace at Oldham.

Hanson - 3 - Sorry but I thought he was poor. Put himself about as much as ever and roughed up their CBs in patches but seemed less effective in the air than normal and struggled to pick out team mates with his passing. Maybe it just wasn't the right game for him. Still he runs himself into the ground and has done quite well for us so far so I'll forgive him.

I can't let the above pass without comment. Are you paying per mark, for the scores you hand out ?

Billy worked tirelessly and did as lot off work off the ball (seen and 'unseen'). He put a couple of excellent balls in and gave their defenders a hard time for 90 minutes. Short of scoring, I though it was a great example of how to play upfront and unsettle defenders. I gave him an '8' but I would understand a '7'.
A '5' is way off and suggests he was poor, which he most defintely was not.

Hanson a '3' is barmy. He worked hard, dragged defenders around and was always showing for the ball. Not his best game with his feet so I could understand a '6', but get real. If we really have players collecting '3's then something is wrong and you are seeing something that CW can't. Sorry, but I think I prefer his opinion of Hanson.

I can't let the above pass without comment. Are you paying per mark, for the scores you hand out ?

Billy worked tirelessly and did as lot off work off the ball (seen and 'unseen'). He put a couple of excellent balls in and gave their defenders a hard time for 90 minutes. Short of scoring, I though it was a great example of how to play upfront and unsettle defenders. I gave him an '8' but I would understand a '7'.
A '5' is way off and suggests he was poor, which he most defintely was not.

Hanson a '3' is barmy. He worked hard, dragged defenders around and was always showing for the ball. Not his best game with his feet so I could understand a '6', but get real. If we really have players collecting '3's then something is wrong and you are seeing something that CW can't. Sorry, but I think I prefer his opinion of Hanson.

Someone got out of bed on the wrong side didn't they? Looking beyond the grumpy digs I will respond.

I thought they were both below par and stand by it, BUT on reflection and having watched most of the match back again I will concede that 5 and 3 may be a tad harsh. That being said I ain't going much higher for Hanson, and please understand that I am a fan of his and don't enjoy criticising him. He works his nuts off but is limited so will have games like Saturday. He is still an important part of the team and will end the season having made a big impact, that's my 'opinion' of Hanson, nothing wrong with him at all. And as for Billy, love the guy he's the best striker in this division by a mile and I would give him my last Rolo any day of the week. Just not his best game on Saturday, again my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom