United 1 West Ham 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Podcast pre game

Podcast post game

---

Report below…..

---

Sheffield United got back to winning ways after they saw off relegation threatened West Ham at the Lane thanks to Oli McBurnie’s second half strike. There was late drama as Robert Snodgrass’ goal was ruled out due to handball against Declan Rice in the build-up after everyone thought the injury time goal had denied the Blades all three points. It was a huge win for United in a game that was far from a classic and one that saw the visitors maybe shade the first half but the Blades certainly the more dominant force in the second half.

Big games under the lights at the Lane are always special nights and Wilder, fresh from having signed a new contract, opted to tweak things with McBurnie in for Mousset. With Moore and Verrips not fit, Jake Eastwood had been recalled and was on the bench after being recalled from Scunthorpe. There was no place on the bench for man of the match from the FA Cup game, Luke Freeman.

The game began with few chances of note and was mired in a midfield battle. Rice and Noble looked to get on the ball with Fleck and Norwood trying to do likewise for the Blades. United won an early corner but Fabianski punched clear. Egan then had a headed chance from another corner but was high on his effort. The Hammers did see a lot of the ball and were neat and tidy after they forced United to cough it up a few times but they had not created much themselves despite pushing United back.

On 14 minutes, the visitors had a blow as Fabianski went down injured and was in real trouble with potentially a reoccurrence of the hip injury that had kept him out much of the season. He had to go off and was replaced by Martin. The first effort came when Haller outfoxed Basham but was well off target. United then had a chance but Lundstram’s effort was blocked. United had struggled to get their football going though and it had become a scrappy contest. Anderson was looking to get on the ball and cause problems with his pace and trickery but he missed a good chance on the half hour. Egan failed to clear and the ball ran on but the winger shot badly wide when he should have scored.

West Ham continued to look the better side in terms of possession and winning ball and territory but did not work Henderson. Manager Wilder would have been glad to see the half time whistle come so he could talk to his troops.

United began the second half in hungrier mode. They started to win tackles and move up the field quicker. Basham and Baldock were more involved and Fleck started to cause problems. The midfielder was close to breaking the deadlock when Baldock centred and the ball fell to him but his first shot was blocked and then his second effort was just wide with Martin out of the mix.

United were well on top now and McBurnie who had worked hard all game, headed over a Norwood cross. Basham then linked well with Baldock and United were well ensconced in Hammers territory.

On 53 minutes, United made the break through. It came from an error from the sub keeper Martin, whose pass out was wide of the centre back Balbuena, and Fleck read it and nipped in. He rounded the defender and then squared for MCBURNIE who side footed home under the body of the keeper. The finish was not the most convincing but they all count!

Mousset came on for McGoldrick and was immediately involved with two powerful runs forcing West Ham back. United continued to attack and a good move saw Stevens and Mousset combine before Lundstram was in but he opted to pass rather than shoot and Baldock was just blocked off at the last moment from Cresswell.

Snodgrass came on for Masuaku and Besic replaced Lundstram with 20 minutes to go. Nemesis of the Blades, Snodgrass showed his quality from a free kick and the ball was in the net but Haller was clearly offside.

United had the chance to seal the game with a nice piece of interchange and Fleck sent a through ball into the path of Mousset but his shot was too close to the keeper who saved. It was a great chance to seal the game.

West Ham had a chance to get back in the game from a set play. The first was a free kick when Henderson did well to get down to save from Lanzini and then react to gather before Haller could react.

Going the other way, Mousset fired over after beating Cresswell showing his quick feet and skill but the game was still in the balance and Egan slipped under no pressure, seeing Lanzini in on the angle but Henderson stood up well to save.

Fornals was the next change for West Ham for Lanzini whilst Sharp replaced the goalscorer McBurnie with just over 5 minutes to play.

Besic took one for the team hauling down Anderson to rightly get the first booking off the game but Haller headed over the free kick as Snodgrass whipped another one in.

The game went into three minutes of stoppage time but there was still time for late drama. West Ham attacked and Rice broke through and slipped in Snodgrass who shot home via Henderson and a post to spark wild celebrations in the away end and David Moyes ran down the touchline. There seemed the usual checks but there seemed nothing amiss but then the screen showed a check for handball. It took an age again but the decision unbelievably went for United! The goal was overruled and it was the home fans who now went berserk! The final moments saw United play out the time and spark wild celebrations at full time as the Blades went up to 5th place, at least temporarily. The United players came to the Kop with McBurnie and Fleck being interviewed by Gary Neville amidst the din of the crowd!

United – It was a gritty win. Definitely a case of the result being more important than a patchy performance. Did we do enough to win? Maybe over the whole game. Just. We were far from our best – particularly first half when we sat off, they pressed us and I felt they edged it although there were few chances – they had one good one after an Egan error. Then after the break we dominated the early part and scored and could have had more. They were always in the game and Henderson made two good saves and Snodgrass’ free kicks were a nightmare to defend. They had one disallowed but Mousse should have finished the game as well. Then the late drama which I will discuss below and we thought we had blown it but a decision went for us and a big three points. With the run of games, we have and the games we have had; a win today was massive. A draw would not have been a disaster bit the circumstances of it might have seemed like it!

First half they pressed us high up, we did not tackle and win loose things and they were moving up the field too easily. When we had it, it was slow and safe and/or we gave it away. We went a bit long ball which is not us. They really should have taken advantage but other than the one chance for Anderson was missed. After the break we started to press, tackle and also move it about quicker. The whole team played higher up and the wing backs pressed them back. We got the goal and after this I thought we could go on and get another couple but we missed a few half chances and one good one for Mousset and then they had a few chances with the free kick, another Egan error led to a chance on the angle. Still you thought we had done enough until the goal but we got a decision go for us.

It was not just a mixed performance in terms of first half v second. Our passing and shape were not as it has been and it seemed sluggish at times. We did not really ever get totally going even when we improved but improved enough to get the win. Even individually, some of our best players this season in Lunny, Didzy and even Egan had really poor games. Some others were very good, Henderson, McBurnie and Basham and then a few stepped up second half in Baldock, Norwood and Fleck. Enda and Jack were ok but did not hit the heights they have. Besic and Mousset did well and made a difference.

Overall, delighted to nose over the 30 points mark. If it had been a draw it would have been a real kick in the teeth. United continue their domination of London clubs at the Lane (discounting Watford); won 8 straight now in the Premier League; last defeat was Chelsea in October 2006. Away from home it is the opposite and we have not won in London since 1992 at Chelsea – nearly 30 years ago! Be a nice stat to break next week. We can go there with a swagger now and have a real go. Arsenal, like West Ham, have improved but if we can replicate our second half’s at Chelsea, West Ham and how we played v Spurs/City then you never know. A point would be fantastic. Three points would be dreamland. Whatever happens, I will be down there and having another great day with the Blades. It is a fantastic ride at the moment – I simply don’t want to get off!!!

Ratings:

Henderson 7.5/10 – Did not have much to do first half with one shot going wide and a few other efforts off target. Second half he made a couple of saves you would expect him to make but then made a really good one from a free kick and then got up well to save the rebound and then one on the angle from Lanzini. I have to say when the goal went in, I was a bit disappointed as he sets his standards so high and thought it was on his near post but did go in off the post. I think he would have been disappointed not to have kept it out as he got a hand on it but as I say that is being ultra-critical. His kicking continues to be up and down – literally! He just kicks a lot out or does not really try and find a man and at this level keepers have to be able to pass the ball almost which is a skill he needs to work on.

Baldock 7/10 – First half he did not get forward much at all and was forced back as they attacked us as much as we did them. He did ok defensively and was solid enough in this aspect all game but he really improved second half and started to get at them more and linked well with Basham and other down the right. Really underrated strength wise. This is one area of his game he has clearly worked on so much and for someone not that big he rarely gets shoved off the ball. Got in a few advanced areas and was unlucky when Lunny sold him short on a pass.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Thought that as with recent games his overall standards are not quite where they were. First half he saw more of the ball than Baldock but was sloppy with it with crosses from too deep and some telegraphed passes. Second half we maybe attacked more down the right. He was guilty of making the wrong decisions a few times but did get forward when he could and was involved in a few moments. I just think his touch and crispness of his play has dropped of a small bit recently. He was still fine and showed his attacking intent and ability to get on the ball but just not sure he was involved in anything that significant that led to clear openings or was his final part quite good enough.

Basham 8/10 – Our best player for me. Sky gave man of the match to Fleck who played well second half, but Bash was tremendous. He won every header, tackle, interception and carried it forward when he could. Only once when Haller did a bit of skill did anyone get the better of him. Second half he was the one who started to drive and make things happen but when they broke, he would be there and intercept. Incredibly fit and really mobile. He has been fantastic this season. If he was a few years younger and looked the part aesthetically in terms of how he does stuff, then it would not be ridiculous to say England would look at him. Has he performed any worse than say Mings this season who plays fantastic and then makes errors? Like with Coady and a few others though, they may not have breakneck speed and athleticism and this sees them often overlooked.

O’Connell 6.5/10 – Ok and fairly steady with a few moments of hesitation. He did not drive forward as much as maybe come out as much as I wanted; particularly first half and was a bit safe. Defensively, he was a bit slow to react a few times but then improved second half and was able to win his battles more (I thought Haller won a lot of headers actually and was imposing himself first half) and was able to improve with the whole team.

Egan 5/10 – Thought he had a bit of a mare at times tonight with key mistakes leading to chances. First half he gave it away and they broke and really should have scored in a chance reminiscent of the Vardy one when Bash gave it away. Second half he dithered and then as a result he got tangled up, lost his footing and they were in again but Henderson saved with a shot that was straight at him. These could easily have been two goals. He was just a bit indecisive defensively and I also felt the big lad at top was able to get on it and win stuff (a la Carroll a few weeks ago). Egan did improve second half despite the mistake but even on the ‘goal’ he was sort of falling over when he headed it and should have maybe got there and cleared regardless as Rice ran through a few players.

Norwood 7.5/10 – Did some nice passes and moved it about first half but I am not sure the whole midfield engaged enough and sat off too much and let them have it. We carried on from Liverpool but against significantly inferior players but for some reason let them move it around and carry it forward. They did press us and him in particular when he had it and this made it hard. Second half he got on the ball more and we moved higher up the field and we started to press them too. It was a different mentality on and off the ball. On it we started to move it quicker and with more purpose and he was key to this with some lovely knocks right and left as he started to dictate the game. He was very good in the second half.

Lundstram 4.5/10 – Not his night at all but sadly a continuation of the last 3 or 4 games he has played. In a forum discussion I got panned for saying I was concerned whether he would keep his form up as for the last 3 seasons we have seen nothing of the player we saw to start the season and first 15 or so games where he was sensational and one of our players of the season. He has looked like the Lundstram we had seen the last few years which is someone that is slow, turns into trouble and really sloppy in possession. Also, someone that looks very sluggish and knackered even before half time. He did put one decent cross field ball in just before the break and made one good tackle second half. He began better after the break but then this did not last and he gave it away three times in succession and set them on the attack. I was calling for him to come off long before he did. He looked cream crackered. Maybe things have caught up with him. Maybe the contract negotiations have stalled. Regardless, if he wants that new improved deal or so impress suitors; he needs to get back to the standards he set as he has been off for quite a bit now. I did expect this but am not pleased to see it. Besic will no doubt come in for a spell of games as he has done well and deserves his opportunity and gives us more energy.

Fleck 7.5/10 – First half he was more of a 6 at best – see Norwood in terms of improvements and not really in the game in terms of winning things or tackling/pressing or making much happen when he had it. He was not really involved and we did not see the driving runs or much creativity from him. After the break he looked re-energised and suddenly was on the ball, intercepting and making things happen. He made the goal with his interception and unselfish assist. The replay showed how he read it and ran a long way to get onto it and sensed the chance instinctively. Before that, he had one good shot blocked and then another just wide but maybe felt he should have scored actually with the keeper on the floor. He then assisted for Mousset with the chance that should have made it 2-0. He really upped things second half.

McGoldrick 5/10 – For the most part he had a really disappointing game was ineffective. First half he did a few bits where he got on it and helped us keep it when he drifted deep but he also gave it away a few times too and overplayed or was dallying when he had it. Did not have any real chances at all, recall one half chance that actually came off him and a defender and went further away from goal. McBurnie was having to be our main threat and also the main link/target man. Didzy was not surprisingly taken off. He is so crucial to our play but the last few games he has played (since Brighton away) at home and at Liverpool; he has not really done the things we need or he can do. If he does not do this and of course is not scoring; then it is a concern. He is a class act though and will be needed of course but he may go to McBurnie and Mousset for a spell now – sadly the latter cannot play full games.

McBurnie 7.5/10 – Thought he was a contender for man of the match and was excellent all game. He led the line, competed, linked well and worked really hard. He did not have much service; especially first half and had to feed off scraps but was always looking to get involved and when he had it; showed he is a very good footballer. Technically he is sound and despite his scruffy appearance; he is a good player when he has it to feet and is not just a ‘flick it on/head’ it striker. He got his goal; which he nearly missed but it went in and then dummied to set up Mousset. Was involved in a lot of good stuff we did. Rightly got a good hand when he came off. He has been steadily improving. Sure, he maybe was not that great v Watford (but no one was) and I think over the last month or so either starting or off the bench, you can see his confidence growing and his game improving as he fits into what we do. Expect him to be more of a regular starter moving forward.

Subs –

Mousset – Made a real difference with his jet set pace and ability to get down the sides. Instantly caused them problems and penned them back with his running. His control and touch are good but sometimes he tries to do too much with too many flicks and stepovers. Some great bits of skill though and maybe needs to be a bit more direct in terms of running in behind and getting his shots away. On the chance he had, he maybe had more time and hit it too close to the keeper. Did look very tired even after a few runs. Some said he threw up in the area at one point! Maybe he was not well! A real explosive talent though and one as he gets fitter and learns the system even more, will be a real asset to the club.

Besic – Great cameo. My man of the match in the cup and did ok at City and Liverpool (albeit limited minutes in the latter). Showed real energy as he broke up things, got amongst them and harried and ratted. On the ball was ok too and moved it around nicely. Really got around the pitch and showed real energy and hunger. Likes a tackle of course and showed when he took Anderson out – I was in mixed minds about the foul as whilst it stopped the break and led to them being down to 10, I believe for the final stages, it gave Snodgrass the chance to put another dangerous free kick in.

Sharp – I think he struggles when he comes on games as he is not the quickest and takes him time to get up to the pace of the games. This was evident tonight as a few times he had it and then lost it when we needed securer possession and control. Lot of talk about him possibly moving on. I think it may happen in the summer. Not sure he is going to feature much other than bits and pieces and the pace/athleticism at this level is another level sadly. It breaks my heart to say that I am not quite sure he is good enough to start for us or even play that much if we have aspirations to be at this level and keep here but that is where we are at. Love the guy though and hope if/when he moves on whether it is this window, the summer or whenever, he gets a club fairly local – I know his kids are in school etc and not sure he will want to move far at this stage of his career. In an ideal world, he would get a few more appearances and goals before the end of the season and then move on mutually.

Manager Wilder 7.5/10 – New contract till 2025, beat West Ham at the Lane and 5th in the table. His world can’t be much better. Simply incredible where we are and where we have come from. Contracts are only pieces of paper and he could leave if an opportunity arose/huge club came knocking but the fact him and Knill have been given big increases and deals is a symbol of how important they are and great to see the Prince there and clearly has been over to make sure this gets done. It shows how important he/they are and the signing is massive and more important than any other player. The club is never bigger than one person but he is maybe the single most influential and important person to have been at the Lane in my lifetime; only John Harris and Dave Bassett come close as managers and figures for what they have done.

West Ham – They clearly have a bit of a spring in their step from the new manager and had won two games in the league and cup, after a previously horrendous run. Under Moyes, despite the fans not exactly delighted to see him back, they will be more organised, will work harder and will get the better out of individuals. They will not be as much of the soft touch that they have been before. They do have some talent and the likes of Fornals, Anderson, Lanzini are technically very good. They to me lack a bit defensively and the keeper situation has been a bit all over the place and they are now meant to be signing Randolph. You would think Fabianski might be out for another wider period. Rice and Noble are solid; if not spectacular midfielders. The lad up top Haller has some talent but not sure he is 45 million worth! You think we got Mousset and McBurnie for 27 million! Not sure I’d swap either for him. They have enough talent to stay up and not sure they will go down but of course they are in a fight and playing where they play at home does not help them in terms of having that intimidatory home atmosphere Upton Park gave them.

Today they actually did ok to start with and first half they worked really hard and pressed us high up and restricted us really to many clear chances of note. They had one chance they missed but maybe did not create much and most of their good work came in the middle. Not sure they stretched us or pushed us back in the sense they had lots of chances or even half chances. However, they were certainly first to quite a few balls and played some ok stuff. They maybe shaded the first half. After the break it was a different story. United got at them and we scored and then should have maybe put it away. They had a few chances from free kicks from Snodgrass and Henderson made a couple of saves but they were not exactly piling on the pressure and the goal came from a break and a bit of the blue. Will be gutted it was disallowed and of course it has gone against us but they maybe should ask why they did not have a go much earlier. I think if anyone deserved the win, in a fairly even game where the two halves were different; then it was us.

Opponent Man of the Match – Anderson was a nuisance and got on the ball and was lively. Besic took him out eventually. Maybe we should have done that earlier. He was maybe the best player – Lanzini showed a few bits but faded. Haller was good first half winning headers and helping them up the pitch and also did ok with linking. Second half not sure I saw him much at all. I thought Rice was steady in the first half and of course made the goal…sorry no goal but second half he was not in it. Snodgrass might have been the next best player after Anderson and only played 20 minutes. Put three superb crosses in and was busy and then thought he had levelled. Some players just play well and always (nearly) score against other teams. He is one of those. If he played like he did against us every week, not only would he start every game but would not be at West Ham. Someone said we should sign him. If we did, he would probably be crap. His free kicks are so hard to defend against though.

Opponent Weak link – The keeper Martin who seems a nice lad and loves playing for his and his Dad’s club, made a big rick and cost them the goal. He then compounded it when he maybe should have saved it. I thought Noble was really poor though. He started the game ok but then faded badly and we overran them in midfield second half and he was as bad for them as Lundstram was for us in give always and not being able to cope stamina wise. Ogbonna and Balbuena are not two centre backs I would have complete faith in and second half they started to make mistakes with the ball and lose the battles. They would worry me if I was in a relegation scrap. Again, players that have cost a fair bit of money (15 mill for the pair) and not as good as the defenders we have (although Egan had a bad night). Zabaletta looks a very old man now and is about done at this level. He has been a class act though but maybe needs to move back to Argentina at the end of this season.

Referee/Officials/VAR – The big talking point will be the goal/non goal. At the time I had no idea what they were checking. Not a clue. It was clearly not offside and I saw no foul anywhere. When they said handball, I got excited (I do hate VAR of course) as normally now if there is a handball or even looks like it, the rules say it will be given. That proved to be the case. In this instance, it is not really VAR though that is the issue. We have VAR and thus it is used to correctly identify that Rice handled it. All this talk about him not meaning it and it just got headed onto our player, is totally nonsense though and irrelevant when it comes to the rules. The rules say that if he handballs it; then it is an offence. I don’t agree with the rules. It happened to us with Egan at Brighton and think it is a nonsense that they can deem that as something that should be penalised. Yes, if he does not handball it then he does not get through and score but surely there has to be common sense in terms of the deliberate aspect of handball. The problem also is that it is different defensively and the rules are applied in a different way. They do need to look at the handball. The problem is there was so much controversy and discussion over what is deliberate and looking at distances/natural body positions etc; they tried to remove doubt by just saying if you hand ball it, then you handball it but then it is applied differently attacking and defensively. It does need looking at. Taking away my red and white persuasions I would be furious if that had been disallowed for us but I would say we have had more than our fair share go against us as Wilder said.

The rest of the game the only other VAR use I suppose was the offside goal which was checked really quickly and then our goal (they checked both but did not need to do a full check as it was communicated to ref without it being signalled as a full check if you like which takes longer – as with the disallowed goal).

Michael Oliver had a really good game and of course would have struggled to spot the handball really. He only booked one player Besic for a crude tackle. Not sure I can recall many other really bad tackles from either side. It was a competitive game but not dirty. Lanzini and Anderson went down a bit too easy but we get used to this now. The game flowed quite well and even though it was not a great spectacle not sure that was down to the referee who was fine.

Crowd/Atmosphere etc – 30,124. It was a decent atmosphere to start the game and often night games are. Our fans were a bit flat first half as the team were not quite at it but second half the levels rose and we started to see the improvements and respond accordingly. After this it felt like a proper game in terms of the crowd. The West Ham fan were noisy and brought a great sold out following for a Friday night on Sky. They are a very loyal fan base who are a proper football club I suppose (whatever that means) regardless of the history (Tevez thing) and the current ownership/the new ground etc. Wilder is right in that they are similarly aligned to us in terms of working-class club. The Tevez masks were a bit sad but if the roles were reversed some of our lot would no doubt do the same. The Tevez thing is history to me and many others though. It seems a long time ago but there was a bit of me that could not help smirk when the goal was chalked off and hearing West Ham fans bleating about rules etc. There was definitely a bit of what goes around, comes around in the back of many Blades heads! It was a nice feeling to see the celebrations cut short. The guy who ran on the pitch will probably get a banning order for a goal that was not was (everybody walk the dinosaur!). Then one of our idiots did the same. It was certainly high drama at the end though seeing the despair and joy and then reversed. I was gutted on the leveller and saw it as a big moment as a win was so important and then when it was chalked off, it meant so much. I celebrated this more than goal. Not great that this is a consequence of VAR and don’t like this really even though we came out on the right side of it.

Did seem busy in town before and after the game with lots of police vans and sirens going off. A lot of West Ham fans stayed over due to there being no trains post game but some are saw seemed decent lads in the bars we were in. Many pubs actually had closed or been told to close and it seemed there had been a number of arrests we heard. On the way home, saw loads of police cars outside the Barrel pub and seems it was actually a United fan fighting a United fan. Certainly, a lively night as heard of firearm incidents in Meersbrook and Kettle Black on Ecclessall Road too (not connected to the football I don’t think) as well.

Saw it the bang same really, nice report mate.

Thanks as ever for a great report , just about exactly as I saw it.
I can't really understand why WHU couldn't make their possession & territorial advantage count in the first half when they were literally cutting through our MF at will.

Agree with your concerns about Lundstram. I don’t usually put it this strongly about our players but he was truly dreadful with the ball last night and his form is now a concern. Besic did well coming in there but I think he’s more of a defensive mid and I’d like better competition in the right-centre mid position.

McBurnie an 8.5 and MOTM for me. Won everything first half, even when the rest of the team couldn’t string two passes together. In the second half, the role he played after Mousset came on—almost like a deep target man/playmaker—hinted at a very promising partnership between those two.

Can't disagree. In a way feel sorry for their fans playing in that soulless Dust Bowl. Only time they get any atmosphere is when they play away. Loved the old Boleyn Ground even though there was usually some fun and fireworks after the games.

Felt McBurnie was excellent, especially after his goal when he won absolutely everything and linked play really well. I do think he’s better playing ever so slightly deeper and allowing Mousset to play on the last man. Hope that continues.

Besic needs to play the next few and allow Lunny to rest up a bit - was missing that zip from the first minute but he’s got through a hell of a lot of work since the first game.

Cheers for the report Deadbat .
Always a good sign when you don't play that well but can still dig out a win. As ugly as they come. Happy to have another 3 or 4 of those!

Pretty much agree with your ratings, and thought Oli McB showed some great strength when on the ball, him and Mousset together are a handful.

Have to say, almost choked on my cup of tea when I read your comment on McBurnie.........

"...despite his scruffy appearance; he is a good player..."

:D

I meant he looks a bit a bit old school and his scruffy persona is not matched by his touch which is far from scruffy!

Agree with your concerns about Lundstram. I don’t usually put it this strongly about our players but he was truly dreadful with the ball last night and his form is now a concern. Besic did well coming in there but I think he’s more of a defensive mid and I’d like better competition in the right-centre mid position.

McBurnie an 8.5 and MOTM for me. Won everything first half, even when the rest of the team couldn’t string two passes together. In the second half, the role he played after Mousset came on—almost like a deep target man/playmaker—hinted at a very promising partnership between those two.

McB's not the type of striker folk on here were expecting, he likes to wander deep and out wide. Been saying that for months.

I agree McB/ Moose is our best front partnership in due course.

Spot on report and ratings. Maybe McB a bit generous.

Clean sheet wins us 3 points thaks to gift goal and the stupid handball rule. VAR suffers from a couple of bad rules, and the lack of ability and the common sense of referees.

Excellent VAR decision but poor rule much like the nonsensical offside margins now technology is involved. Changes needed urgently, no need to await the end of the season. Ir's all so obvious and covered time and again on our forum VAR threads over the months.

Henderson back on track. Bash heroic. Wing backs fairly anonymous , maybe fatigued. Can Moose get properly fit?

What an important 3 points after the Anfield lesson.

West Ham 2 shots on target, we had 3. Two poor sides on the night but we have such good habits, togetherness and work ethic. WH don't have any of those.

Spot on DB, just as I saw it. Maybe a tad too critical of JL. He still powers through am enormous amount of work without the ball. With the ball he was very average........which is generous. Personally I still think he should stay in the team, but would not be too upset if Besic got a game.

great report as always cheers

i think didsy and mcburnie together really didnt work as both wanted to be the deeper lying forward
but when moose came on mcburnie went deeper and that looked allot better and could def see them 2 starting at the Arse ( think that is the first time they have actually played together ?)

agree about Bash, just great again from the legend -having a great season like many others and he , like us as a whole, , is such a great story to ahve him back in the prem !

, as you say prob a bit too old / not fashionable enough for GS to look at him but how amazing would it be to see JOC, Harry and Bash as the back 3 in the Euros !!!

Spot on DB, just as I saw it. Maybe a tad too critical of JL. He still powers through am enormous amount of work without the ball. With the ball he was very average........which is generous

Bit like Monty, then. That is who he is morphing into. If he maintained his consistent start, from the Bournemouth game even, he'd be fucking awesome.

At the moment he's just not 'growing' in the role. His counterpart is De Bruyne, and once upon a time we had our own De Browney. That's who he should be looking to to emulate.

pommpey

Ratings:

Henderson 7.5/10 – Did not have much to do first half with one shot going wide and a few other efforts off target. Second half he made a couple of saves you would expect him to make but then made a really good one from a free kick and then got up well to save the rebound and then one on the angle from Lanzini. I have to say when the goal went in, I was a bit disappointed as he sets his standards so high and thought it was on his near post but did go in off the post. I think he would have been disappointed not to have kept it out as he got a hand on it but as I say that is being ultra-critical. His kicking continues to be up and down – literally! He just kicks a lot out or does not really try and find a man and at this level keepers have to be able to pass the ball almost which is a skill he needs to work on.

Baldock 7/10 – First half he did not get forward much at all and was forced back as they attacked us as much as we did them. He did ok defensively and was solid enough in this aspect all game but he really improved second half and started to get at them more and linked well with Basham and other down the right. Really underrated strength wise. This is one area of his game he has clearly worked on so much and for someone not that big he rarely gets shoved off the ball. Got in a few advanced areas and was unlucky when Lunny sold him short on a pass.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Thought that as with recent games his overall standards are not quite where they were. First half he saw more of the ball than Baldock but was sloppy with it with crosses from too deep and some telegraphed passes. Second half we maybe attacked more down the right. He was guilty of making the wrong decisions a few times but did get forward when he could and was involved in a few moments. I just think his touch and crispness of his play has dropped of a small bit recently. He was still fine and showed his attacking intent and ability to get on the ball but just not sure he was involved in anything that significant that led to clear openings or was his final part quite good enough.

Basham 8/10 – Our best player for me. Sky gave man of the match to Fleck who played well second half, but Bash was tremendous. He won every header, tackle, interception and carried it forward when he could. Only once when Haller did a bit of skill did anyone get the better of him. Second half he was the one who started to drive and make things happen but when they broke, he would be there and intercept. Incredibly fit and really mobile. He has been fantastic this season. If he was a few years younger and looked the part aesthetically in terms of how he does stuff, then it would not be ridiculous to say England would look at him. Has he performed any worse than say Mings this season who plays fantastic and then makes errors? Like with Coady and a few others though, they may not have breakneck speed and athleticism and this sees them often overlooked.

O’Connell 6.5/10 – Ok and fairly steady with a few moments of hesitation. He did not drive forward as much as maybe come out as much as I wanted; particularly first half and was a bit safe. Defensively, he was a bit slow to react a few times but then improved second half and was able to win his battles more (I thought Haller won a lot of headers actually and was imposing himself first half) and was able to improve with the whole team.

Egan 5/10 – Thought he had a bit of a mare at times tonight with key mistakes leading to chances. First half he gave it away and they broke and really should have scored in a chance reminiscent of the Vardy one when Bash gave it away. Second half he dithered and then as a result he got tangled up, lost his footing and they were in again but Henderson saved with a shot that was straight at him. These could easily have been two goals. He was just a bit indecisive defensively and I also felt the big lad at top was able to get on it and win stuff (a la Carroll a few weeks ago). Egan did improve second half despite the mistake but even on the ‘goal’ he was sort of falling over when he headed it and should have maybe got there and cleared regardless as Rice ran through a few players.

Norwood 7.5/10 – Did some nice passes and moved it about first half but I am not sure the whole midfield engaged enough and sat off too much and let them have it. We carried on from Liverpool but against significantly inferior players but for some reason let them move it around and carry it forward. They did press us and him in particular when he had it and this made it hard. Second half he got on the ball more and we moved higher up the field and we started to press them too. It was a different mentality on and off the ball. On it we started to move it quicker and with more purpose and he was key to this with some lovely knocks right and left as he started to dictate the game. He was very good in the second half.

Lundstram 4.5/10 – Not his night at all but sadly a continuation of the last 3 or 4 games he has played. In a forum discussion I got panned for saying I was concerned whether he would keep his form up as for the last 3 seasons we have seen nothing of the player we saw to start the season and first 15 or so games where he was sensational and one of our players of the season. He has looked like the Lundstram we had seen the last few years which is someone that is slow, turns into trouble and really sloppy in possession. Also, someone that looks very sluggish and knackered even before half time. He did put one decent cross field ball in just before the break and made one good tackle second half. He began better after the break but then this did not last and he gave it away three times in succession and set them on the attack. I was calling for him to come off long before he did. He looked cream crackered. Maybe things have caught up with him. Maybe the contract negotiations have stalled. Regardless, if he wants that new improved deal or so impress suitors; he needs to get back to the standards he set as he has been off for quite a bit now. I did expect this but am not pleased to see it. Besic will no doubt come in for a spell of games as he has done well and deserves his opportunity and gives us more energy.

Fleck 7.5/10 – First half he was more of a 6 at best – see Norwood in terms of improvements and not really in the game in terms of winning things or tackling/pressing or making much happen when he had it. He was not really involved and we did not see the driving runs or much creativity from him. After the break he looked re-energised and suddenly was on the ball, intercepting and making things happen. He made the goal with his interception and unselfish assist. The replay showed how he read it and ran a long way to get onto it and sensed the chance instinctively. Before that, he had one good shot blocked and then another just wide but maybe felt he should have scored actually with the keeper on the floor. He then assisted for Mousset with the chance that should have made it 2-0. He really upped things second half.

McGoldrick 5/10 – For the most part he had a really disappointing game was ineffective. First half he did a few bits where he got on it and helped us keep it when he drifted deep but he also gave it away a few times too and overplayed or was dallying when he had it. Did not have any real chances at all, recall one half chance that actually came off him and a defender and went further away from goal. McBurnie was having to be our main threat and also the main link/target man. Didzy was not surprisingly taken off. He is so crucial to our play but the last few games he has played (since Brighton away) at home and at Liverpool; he has not really done the things we need or he can do. If he does not do this and of course is not scoring; then it is a concern. He is a class act though and will be needed of course but he may go to McBurnie and Mousset for a spell now – sadly the latter cannot play full games.

McBurnie 7.5/10 – Thought he was a contender for man of the match and was excellent all game. He led the line, competed, linked well and worked really hard. He did not have much service; especially first half and had to feed off scraps but was always looking to get involved and when he had it; showed he is a very good footballer. Technically he is sound and despite his scruffy appearance; he is a good player when he has it to feet and is not just a ‘flick it on/head’ it striker. He got his goal; which he nearly missed but it went in and then dummied to set up Mousset. Was involved in a lot of good stuff we did. Rightly got a good hand when he came off. He has been steadily improving. Sure, he maybe was not that great v Watford (but no one was) and I think over the last month or so either starting or off the bench, you can see his confidence growing and his game improving as he fits into what we do. Expect him to be more of a regular starter moving forward.

Subs –

Mousset – Made a real difference with his jet set pace and ability to get down the sides. Instantly caused them problems and penned them back with his running. His control and touch are good but sometimes he tries to do too much with too many flicks and stepovers. Some great bits of skill though and maybe needs to be a bit more direct in terms of running in behind and getting his shots away. On the chance he had, he maybe had more time and hit it too close to the keeper. Did look very tired even after a few runs. Some said he threw up in the area at one point! Maybe he was not well! A real explosive talent though and one as he gets fitter and learns the system even more, will be a real asset to the club.

Besic – Great cameo. My man of the match in the cup and did ok at City and Liverpool (albeit limited minutes in the latter). Showed real energy as he broke up things, got amongst them and harried and ratted. On the ball was ok too and moved it around nicely. Really got around the pitch and showed real energy and hunger. Likes a tackle of course and showed when he took Anderson out – I was in mixed minds about the foul as whilst it stopped the break and led to them being down to 10, I believe for the final stages, it gave Snodgrass the chance to put another dangerous free kick in.

Sharp – I think he struggles when he comes on games as he is not the quickest and takes him time to get up to the pace of the games. This was evident tonight as a few times he had it and then lost it when we needed securer possession and control. Lot of talk about him possibly moving on. I think it may happen in the summer. Not sure he is going to feature much other than bits and pieces and the pace/athleticism at this level is another level sadly. It breaks my heart to say that I am not quite sure he is good enough to start for us or even play that much if we have aspirations to be at this level and keep here but that is where we are at. Love the guy though and hope if/when he moves on whether it is this window, the summer or whenever, he gets a club fairly local – I know his kids are in school etc and not sure he will want to move far at this stage of his career. In an ideal world, he would get a few more appearances and goals before the end of the season and then move on mutually.

Manager Wilder 7.5/10 – New contract till 2025, beat West Ham at the Lane and 5th in the table. His world can’t be much better. Simply incredible where we are and where we have come from. Contracts are only pieces of paper and he could leave if an opportunity arose/huge club came knocking but the fact him and Knill have been given big increases and deals is a symbol of how important they are and great to see the Prince there and clearly has been over to make sure this gets done. It shows how important he/they are and the signing is massive and more important than any other player. The club is never bigger than one person but he is maybe the single most influential and important person to have been at the Lane in my lifetime; only John Harris and Dave Bassett come close as managers and figures for what they have done.

You've pulled a 7.5 out of your arris for Norwood. Didn't deserve anything above a 6 for me.

I watched the match (again) last night and JL especially 2nd half was shocking, apart from his shot, needs to find some form asap

Great read as always Deadbat.

My MOM was Basham also. Second half he was outstanding. His reading of the game has improved unbelievably. Who would have said that 3 years ago ??

UTB.

Agree, Basham was immense. I have only got to three games so far this season, but this one was a fantastic roller-coaster ride.

Back
Top Bottom